MLB 2011 Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

El Guapo

Re: MLB 2011 Season

Post by El Guapo »

J.D. wrote:
Asharak wrote:
J.D. wrote:Holy shit, this is an outrage! How dare an AL East team have an unfair advantage over the rest of the teams in their division!!!!
The ridiculous part is that it's getting treated like it's some major breaking news. The "four players" thing is being reported as "spring of 2010" -- in other words, a season and a half ago.

Even if it's true, OK, bad Blue Jays, but baseball players take a lot pride (stupidly, I think, but that's beside the point) in being a self-policing lot, as evidenced by this very story's comments about threatening to throw at Bautista if the Jays kept it up, so I rather suspect this has long since been dealt with by the players involved.

- Ash
Ya, to me it's a non-story. I'm a little skeptical about "four guys" and the Yankees complaining about something that occurred a year and a half ago. Also the guy in white must have Superman's vision because I've sat out there and you can't see shit, let alone read the catcher's signs.
FWIW the players were speculating that the guy had an earpiece or something; the signs would be told to him and then he'd signal to the players. That's the theory, anyhow.

In any event if it's still going on it should be reported to MLB. Unless and until MLB does something then there's nothing really to the story (and why would ESPN write the story now, I wonder).
Black Lives Matter.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Ya, I should say that if it's still going on the Jay should stop. Immediately. Not because it's illegal, because to my knowledge it's not, but just because it's a douchey thing to do.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Takeaways from Alex Anthopoulos' press conference (which can be found on Sportsnet's site, in the video called "Anthopoulos fired up") on this oh-so-stimulating topic, for anyone who still (ever?) cares:

1) He still likes ESPN and doesn't blame them for running with the story that presented itself to them but wishes they had done more research / digging. Specifically:

2) When contacted for a quote for the story, he asked (challenged?) them to find any former Blue Jay - player, coach, groundskeeper, anyone - to corroborate the story. They either did not or could not do so. He went back to this point multiple times in his answers, saying that baseball is a "small family" and implying that, if this really was going on, ESPN should not have had a hard time finding more than four guys on one team willing to complain about it.

3) Similarly, he pointed out the Sportsnet televises all 162 Blue Jays games and, really, if this is a real thing, why hasn't someone taken the time to watch the footage from all those cameras and find the man in the white shirt?

3) He said that he has never once been spoken to about any sort of sign stealing by any other coach, manager or GM on any occasion, either by text, phone or in person at GM meetings.

4) He said that he has not been contacted by the league about this in any way and does not expect there to be any investigation into it. He also said he has no intention of investigating it, is not going to ask Bautista which bullpen members yelled at him (FYI: Bautista has since been quoted as saying it was the White Sox), etc. He said he considers this a complete non-story for everyone except members of the media, believes the league feels the same way, and thinks having to hold a press conference about it was a ridiculous waste of time.

All of that, of course, comes with the significant caveat that Anthopoulos, like the rest of the Blue Jays, have significant incentive to downplay/lie about stealing signs in this way. And with the actual source of the story being players who would only speak anonymously, this is likely to go into the history books as an unsolved he-said-she-said argument that no one will remember next week.

For my own opinion (for whatever it's worth), I'm quite sure the Jays do engage in attempts on-field sign stealing. Every team does bush league crap like that, though, whether it's sign stealing, glove slapping, or whatever else. It's just the way the game is played when it's being played for millions of dollars and every little advantage counts. I don't believe the Jays are or have been engaging in any systematic off-the-field sign stealing, though. Maybe they tried that one day against Chicago, but even if so, they clearly got caught and called on it and I don't think there's evidence (so far) that they've been finding other ways to do it since.

- Ash
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

OK, I love that there are a whole bunch of people in the Rogers Centre tonight wearing all white with a whole bunch of signs. My favourite are the two with the big bristle-board signs predicting "Explosive fastball", "Cunning curve", etc.

- Ash
J.D.

Re: Re: MLB 2011 Season

Post by J.D. »

Asharak wrote:OK, I love that there are a whole bunch of people in the Rogers Centre tonight wearing all white with a whole bunch of signs. My favourite are the two with the big bristle-board signs predicting "Explosive fastball", "Cunning curve", etc.

- Ash
Haha, I saw that. Too funny.

I also liked DownGoesBrown's tweet.

"@DownGoesBrown: The Jays need to stop cheating and start hitting their HRs the honest way: By paying nine-figure contracts to known PED users. #sox #yankees"
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Thank you ESPN.

From the Toronto Star.
Let us put aside for a second the likelihood of the assertion by unknown members of the Chicago White Sox bullpen that the Blue Jays have planted a man in a white shirt on the grassy knoll in right-centre field.

Because it’s silly beyond all ability to express in human language.

A proper refutation requires mimes, pie fights and the ghost of Peter Sellers.

You can stats this up all you like. Here’s the one that matters. The Jays are 28-27 at home. They’re 30-30 on the road. Apparently, if they’re cheating, they can’t cheat right.

Here’s something else to consider.

Between the ’10 and ’11 seasons, the Jays shuffled their coaching staff. They brought in John Farrell and Don Wakamatsu, both men with long histories in the game. How would that job interview have gone?

“John, we like your credentials. So, how are you with breaking some of the most basic moral tenets of the game? Are you okay with that?”

It’s not hard to imagine. It’s impossible.

Baseball is, if nothing else, a closed society governed by rigid and sometimes inscrutable rules of conduct. You break those rules, and you’re out. Unless you’re Babe Ruth, you’re finished with your colleagues in the fraternity. Ask Pete Rose.

Chicanery this cynical went out of fashion with 1918 White Sox – not that we’re implying anything about the White Sox. Much.

But let’s not reduce ourselves to ad hominem attacks.

Let us instead thank Toronto’s accusers, as well as the outlet for their animus, ESPN: The Magazine.

Thank you. Sincerely. You have done baseball in Toronto an incalculable service.

The greatest enemy the game faces in this town is apathy.

A home run king wasn’t enough to undo that. A burgeoning genius in the GM’s office hasn’t been able to lure the fans back in big numbers. We’ve all thought for some time that nothing short of winning could lure fans back to baseball.

We could’ve told that you anger binds people together much tighter than love. We couldn’t have imagined that an outsider could light that fire. ESPN just did.

What middling baseball couldn’t do, widespread civic outrage just might.

Played right, this phony controversy could be a tipping point for baseball in Toronto.

Alex Anthopoulos provided the roadmap today. As best I can tell, Anthopoulos is never angry. He’s so even-keeled he might consider ship’s captain as a moonlighting gig.

And today, he was, by his own modest standards, pissed.

“This whole thing is stupid,” is how he kicked things off, fairly panting with emotion. “Let’s find four players on some other team claiming they saw the guy on the white shirt and they saw the UFO flying across the sky … I can guarantee you there must be one disgruntled Blue Jay out there to have spoken to. And to not have been able to do it, shocks me.”

Once again, and for the first time in two decades, it’s us against them.

This is the upside-down World Series flag flap rebroadcast in neon.

What is it about the Blue Jays that makes them so unpalatable to the baseball establishment? Why did Yankees manager Joe Girardi choose to go on record with this nonsense, making him the other guy talking about alien abductions and bright lights in the sky? What have the Jays done to upset people?

Could it be fear? No, that’s not it. This team isn’t frightening anyone. Yet.

It’s no secret around baseball that Toronto fans are some of the most disliked by opposing teams – they really do get on top of people out there in right and left field. Could that be it? Maybe.

Here’s what it looks like – Americans picking on the easiest target, the guys up north.

Is it true? Probably not. Will that story play in this town? Like kids at recess.

What we have right now is a sense of righteous indignation.

Properly manipulated by the club, it can be turned into popular and peaceful revolt that could position the game of baseball at the heart of this city once again.

The White Sox supplied the gas. ESPN brought the matches. Now it’s up to Toronto fans to light a fire.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

J.D. wrote: Baseball is, if nothing else, a closed society governed by rigid and sometimes inscrutable rules of conduct. You break those rules, and you’re out. Unless you’re Babe Ruth, you’re finished with your colleagues in the fraternity. Ask Pete Rose.
Yeah, right. Ask Bobby Thompson. Ask Gaylord Perry. Ask Joe Niekro. Ask...Brian Moehler.

I love Canada, but that tirade is so typically Canadian it makes me giggle.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

They're not even trying to hide it anymore

(that's a set of coffee cup binoculars) :lol:
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Yep. Between the Brett Lawrie grand slam and all the ESPN-mocking going on, last night's ballgame was one of the more awesome ones in recent memory.

That said, the whole "this will revive baseball in Toronto!" thing is nearly as stupid as the controversy itself. I'm pretty sure most of MLB will have forgotten about it by the end of today and it won't play in Toronto for more than a week.

- Ash
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

LawBeefaroni wrote:I love Canada, but that tirade is so typically Canadian it makes me giggle.
Same and same.

I'm also for Toronto to be garnering some national attention as well. Anything to get people talking about something other than the top two teams in that division is a good thing, in my opinion.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Hey, Brett Lawrie, how about that grand slam last night? Are you excited?

Yup, I'd say so.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

:wink:
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

J.D. wrote:Hey, Brett Lawrie, how about that grand slam last night? Are you excited?
[image]

Yup, I'd say so.
I hope he didn't forget to thank the man in white.
Black Lives Matter.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Man, it's been a great week for baseball signs.

:lol:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I spent Wednesday Night at the Reds-Rockies game in Cincy. I got some awesome tickets off of StubHub. 9 rows behind the visiting dugout, inside the bases. ~$25/head.

Before the game, we walked the perimeter walkways around the ballpark. We noticed that the grass in the outfield looked about one step up from a municipal golf course in an inner city. Parts were yellow and patchy.

Sat down before gametime, seats were already in the shade. Perfect weather, as it was warm with the occasional breeze off the river. I had a bratwurst before the game, which was decent. Later on, I bought a Skyline coney. Whatever it is you people in Ohio are trying to pass off as chili is disgusting. That was the worst-tasting attempt at a chili dog I have ever had the misfortune to pay for.

Game wise, got to see a pair of old Rangers, as Kevin Millwood took the mound for the Rockies and Francisco Cordero closed it out for the Reds. The Reds managed to squeak out a win off the three HRs from their 3-4-5 hitters. Rockies managed to hit one HR and get another run by moving runners around the bags.

The 9th inning was fun to watch. Cordero got Iannetta to pop out in foul territory. Alfonzo doubled to left, Young came in for him and then stole 3rd. Fowler then grounded it to Cordero, who froze Young halfway home, and they got him in a rundown while Fowler moved to 2nd. For the final out, Nelson grounded a slow roller up to third, and Fowler ran on contact. Frazier playing third, was able to stay on the bag at third, picked up the ball and got the tag down to get Fowler at third for the final out. It was one heck of a finish, certainly not your traditional baseball inning.

The other fun play was in the 4th with the Rockies having loaded the bases with one out. Wigginton swung and spiked the ball into the dirt three inches in front of the plate, where it just died. Wigginton didn't even run at first. Hanigan picked up the ball, stepped on home plate, and threw it down to first to end the inning. Wigginton had a long, civil conversation with the umpire after that one. :lol:

All in all, I'd say that the Ballpark in Arlington seems like a better venue than the GABP, but I'm glad that I got the opportunity to attend the game while in town on business.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Verlander showed again last nite why hes the Tigers MVP. Facing a sweep in Cleveland he changes what could have been a 3 game swing in the standings to a 1 game swing. This guy has been the very definition of ace pitcher this year. Hes got to be the front runner for the Cy Young right now but theres still a lot of season left. Regardless, knowing Tigers management, he will probably be pitching in pinstripes next year. ( just kidding, kind of... Im still pissed about Granderson )
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Carlos Zambrano may very well have retired tonight.

I wonder if this is the time when he finally follows through with his repeated threats to quit.
Hodor.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Royals get their Bubba
The deal will pay Starling $7.5 million spread over three years. The Royals said Starling will be introduced at Kauffman Stadium this week before leaving for the Royals’ spring training facility in Surprise, Ariz.
Whew! I thought for sure he would go to Nebraska.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Somewhere, Exodor is weeping:
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Kansas City Royals have signed outfielder Jeff Francoeur for another two years.

The club announced Thursday that Francoeur had signed a two-year contract extension through 2013. He's hitting .277 in his first year with the Royals, with 15 home runs, 66 RBIs and a career-high 19 stolen bases.

The deal is worth $13.5 million, the Kansas City Star reported.

"I want to be here," Francoeur said of his decision, according to the Star. "I'll tell you, for me, playing with all of these guys, it's been a blast. It's something I've thoroughly enjoyed."

The affable veteran has also been a clubhouse leader and mentor for the Royals, who are the youngest team in the major leagues. He's also third in the majors with 12 outfield assists.

"We need to create more stability with our major league team," Royals general manager Dayton Moore said, according to the Star. "We made an advance decision to extend Jeff based on his performance on the field."

Francoeur signed a one-year contract with the Royals last Dec. 15
Black Lives Matter.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

$13.5M for Francoeur? He is having a career year, but I don't understand Moore's love of Frenchy.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kelric wrote:$13.5M for Francoeur? He is having a career year, but I don't understand Moore's love of Frenchy.
Woah, woah, woah. He's not JD Drew. That $13.5M is over 2 years, not one. :P

MYT
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

El Guapo wrote:Somewhere, Exodor is weeping:
I've been prepared for this day since he was signed. I'm good.

In fact, this contract doesn't really bother me. Our only real corner outfield prospect is Wil Myers who's scuffling in AA right now. We've got Cain in AAA ready to replace Melky who I assume (hope) will be shipped somewhere this winter.

Frenchy has been Frenchy this year but offense is down so much league-wide that his numbers are now slightly above average. He's not blocking any prospects and it's not like we're going to sign a real outfielder on the free agent market.

He's not great but a two year deal? Meh. I'm not going to stress too much.

What we need is starting pitching. Anyone got a starter you don't want?

We'll trade you one (1) Melky Cabrera for him. :P
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Kelric wrote:$13.5M for Francoeur? He is having a career year, but I don't understand Moore's love of Frenchy.
Yeah, $13.5M over two years? I still don't get it. I understand keeping him, but that seems like more than is reasonable given such an inconsistent track record.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

But he's an "affable veteran"! You can't pay too much for guys like that.

It's funny the ongoing debate in Boston over the J.D. Drew contract - the back and forth is "he always seems so lifeless!" vs. "But if you actually look at his stats over the contract, they're pretty good."

The one thing that pretty much everyone here can agree on is that we'd all do the contract over again just for his 2007 ALCS grand slam.
Black Lives Matter.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Kelric wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Yeah, $13.5M over two years? I still don't get it. I understand keeping him, but that seems like more than is reasonable given such an inconsistent track record.
He's been worth $10M this year in value - so they're just paying him after-the-fact for his production this year. :doh:

It's too much money but the payroll is so low and the outfield talent so poor that I just can't get worked up about it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

All I know is it looks like Los Tigres are finally coming to the realization that Magglio is being overpayed and overused still for having a good season in 2007. Hopefully that's a good sign. Now if they use some of that money to get decent 2nd Starting Pitcher next year and then have 3rd and maybe even 4th young starter pan out for more than three or four games before Dombrowski begins hanging hopes on them we may be good... for next year...

How sad is it that the Tigres are in first place, have some of the best hitting talent in the league while playing in a substandard division and yet I am confident they will feel like they are out of the pennant race within the next two weeks? I like Leland a lot but this whole whole fear of leaving too many base runners left on base is costing him way too many stupid outs with way too aggressive running by a team mostly composed of precision single and pugsley power hitters. Combine that with a team that comes together to make an average pitching squad after you factor in Verlander and the Big Potato and we just feel like we're done.

We've made some good trades though. No idea how long we'll keep them but the trades have been good for now.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Cubs fire Hendry, pr0ner and ILB rejoice.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Too funny, considering I just read this article in the paper this morning.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Wow.

Too little too late though. It's going to get tough to get out from under a lot of those deals.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

triggercut wrote:Cubs fire Hendry, pr0ner and ILB rejoice.
About damn time!
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Wow.

Too little too late though. It's going to get tough to get out from under a lot of those deals.
Well, the only two albatross deals left are Soriano's and Zambrano's. Fukudome's gone, and his money's off the books this year, the Silva/Bradley debacle is over after this year. Ramirez may be gone due to the club option (but he's still playing close to his contract value), and Dempster's deal really isn't *that* bad and ends after 2012 anyway. After them, the highest paid player who'll be on the books for 2012 is Carlos Marmol at $7.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I read that they have $72M in guaranteed contracts for 2012. Zambrano and Soriano are 2x$18M. Dempster is $14M. Then I guess Marmol, Byrd and...?

They also have a bunch of arb eligible guys including Garza, Soto, and Wells.

And I looked at BBR and they Ramirez is a $2M buyout (or $16M team option) and Pena will be due $5M in deferred payments.

I mean they are looking at $100M without spending a new dime IMO.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote:I read that they have $72M in guaranteed contracts for 2012. Zambrano and Soriano are 2x$18M. Dempster is $14M. Then I guess Marmol, Byrd and...?

They also have a bunch of arb eligible guys including Garza, Soto, and Wells.

And I looked at BBR and they Ramirez is a $2M buyout (or $16M team option) and Pena will be due $5M in deferred payments.

I mean they are looking at $100M without spending a new dime IMO.
Well, when you put it that way...

:grund:

Damn.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Sorry, in retrospect I probably should have let you have a day or two of happiness.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Sorry, in retrospect I probably should have let you have a day or two of happiness.
Well, you are a Sox fan....
Hodor.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

LordMortis wrote:All I know is it looks like Los Tigres are finally coming to the realization that Magglio is being overpayed and overused still for having a good season in 2007. Hopefully that's a good sign. Now if they use some of that money to get decent 2nd Starting Pitcher next year and then have 3rd and maybe even 4th young starter pan out for more than three or four games before Dombrowski begins hanging hopes on them we may be good... for next year...

How sad is it that the Tigres are in first place, have some of the best hitting talent in the league while playing in a substandard division and yet I am confident they will feel like they are out of the pennant race within the next two weeks? I like Leland a lot but this whole whole fear of leaving too many base runners left on base is costing him way too many stupid outs with way too aggressive running by a team mostly composed of precision single and pugsley power hitters. Combine that with a team that comes together to make an average pitching squad after you factor in Verlander and the Big Potato and we just feel like we're done.

We've made some good trades though. No idea how long we'll keep them but the trades have been good for now.
After this weekend you may want to rethink that. While I dont have much confidence that they can sustain a playoff run, they have a pretty good shot at making the playoffs. Verlander has finally broken through ESPN's anti Detroit bias and they are starting to give Justin some props. If he were pitching in New York or Boston, he would already have the Cy Young and MVP wrapped up. Theres still plenty of season left and if Verlander crashes, then so will the Tigers but he has won 14 of his last 15 starts and shows no sign of slowing down. If Detroit can get this wrapped up without having to pitch Verlander the last weekend of the season, then Detroit will be able to pitch him twice in the 1st series and theres nobody out there comfortable with facing that.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

rshetts2 wrote:If Detroit can get this wrapped up without having to pitch Verlander the last weekend of the season, then Detroit will be able to pitch him twice in the 1st series and theres nobody out there comfortable with facing that.
I may very well be playing for a fantasy championship that week (should wrap up a bye this week) and Verlander is my ace. :( Hopefully it's close and they need him to pitch that last week.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

rshetts2 wrote:After this weekend you may want to rethink that. While I dont have much confidence that they can sustain a playoff run, they have a pretty good shot at making the playoffs. Verlander has finally broken through ESPN's anti Detroit bias and they are starting to give Justin some props. If he were pitching in New York or Boston, he would already have the Cy Young and MVP wrapped up. Theres still plenty of season left and if Verlander crashes, then so will the Tigers but he has won 14 of his last 15 starts and shows no sign of slowing down. If Detroit can get this wrapped up without having to pitch Verlander the last weekend of the season, then Detroit will be able to pitch him twice in the 1st series and theres nobody out there comfortable with facing that.
We'll see. The Cleveland series this weekend was completely unexpected and gives me hope but at the same, how do you almost lose a game when you take a 7 run 3rd inning? So even when the sun is shining out their ass, I see a rain cloud. But the sun is totally shining. I went in to the weekend thinking Detroit would lose the series 2-1 and even though they'd still be in first place, I'd have been ready to call their season done.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

LordMortis wrote:
rshetts2 wrote:After this weekend you may want to rethink that. While I dont have much confidence that they can sustain a playoff run, they have a pretty good shot at making the playoffs. Verlander has finally broken through ESPN's anti Detroit bias and they are starting to give Justin some props. If he were pitching in New York or Boston, he would already have the Cy Young and MVP wrapped up. Theres still plenty of season left and if Verlander crashes, then so will the Tigers but he has won 14 of his last 15 starts and shows no sign of slowing down. If Detroit can get this wrapped up without having to pitch Verlander the last weekend of the season, then Detroit will be able to pitch him twice in the 1st series and theres nobody out there comfortable with facing that.
We'll see. The Cleveland series this weekend was completely unexpected and gives me hope but at the same, how do you almost lose a game when you take a 7 run 3rd inning? So even when the sun is shining out their ass, I see a rain cloud. But the sun is totally shining. I went in to the weekend thinking Detroit would lose the series 2-1 and even though they'd still be in first place, I'd have been ready to call their season done.
The easy answer to your question of " how do you almost lose a game when you take a 7 run 3rd inning? " Porcello still they did win!