Man question - Spitting at the urinal. Why?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Brian

Man question - Spitting at the urinal. Why?

Post by Brian »

I've noticed that when approaching a urinal many men spit into the urinal before peeing. Some men wait until they are peeing and THEN spit into the urinal.

I've seen friends and coworkers as well as complete strangers exhibit this behavior.

Heck, I've even caught myself doing this on occasion.

Also, I'm not talking about the gross habit some guys have of spitting out their chew into the urinal. I'm talking about plain old spit.

Is there some type of genetic programming that causes us to do this?

C'mon, you know you've done it too.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Hyena

Re: Man question - Spitting at the urinal. Why?

Post by Hyena »

My wife asks me this same question. I honestly have no clue why I do it, I just always have. Not learned behavior, as far as I know. It's not like my dad sat me down and said, "Son, let me show ya something..."
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's a subconscious thing about fluid removal. Besides, who wants to be swallowing anything when they're in a restroom?

I'll do into my sink when I'm shaving more than I will at the urinal.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Davidbld

Post by Davidbld »

Never done this myself, though I've seen others do it and assumed they had gum or something. If its somehow instinctual, guess I dont have that instinct. The only time I spit is if I get crap from post-nasal drip or or other yucky fluids that come up from the lungs and then its always in a trash can (if I can find one).

dave
No matter where you go...there you are...
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I've never done it, nor seen anyone do it. I guess I'm weird.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote:I've never done it, nor seen anyone do it. I guess I'm weird.
I do it but only if I got hairball in my throat. Where else are you going to spit when you are indoors?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Never done it myself, but I rarely spit at all (never unless a cold leaves me all mucus-y)
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It's news to me, too. Maybe not customary in our region?
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

I see this all the time and also wonder why this behavior occurs. I have spit into the urinal before, but only if I have a real mucus ball I'm trying to get rid of.

Another thing I don't get is when I'm using the "big boy" urinal, someone will come in after me and instead of using the perfectly good "little boy" urinal next to me, they will either wait until I'm done or go into a stall to piss. I can only assume that these people are pompous a-holes who feel that using a urinal that close to the floor is below their standards.
18-1™ & 2-0
Mandeville

Post by Mandeville »

because peeing on it isn't demeaning enough.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I just always thought that these people needed to spit for what ever reason, and they don't want to spit 'in public' so they found what is a willing vessel and used it? What's the big mystery exactly? Why do people spit?

Or is there a belief/question that the urinal induces the spitting, where there was no desire to spit moments before ?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I think it's a learned behavior from the dark days when real men would just urinate anywhere outside. You spit first to test for windage. Better a gob of spittle on your breeches than a bunch of blow-back piss.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Trent Steel wrote:Another thing I don't get is when I'm using the "big boy" urinal, someone will come in after me and instead of using the perfectly good "little boy" urinal next to me, they will either wait until I'm done or go into a stall to piss. I can only assume that these people are pompous a-holes who feel that using a urinal that close to the floor is below their standards.
What I don't get is why they have them at different heights in corporate office buildings (such as the where I work). There is virtually no chance a little kid will need to use it (and in such unlikely scenarios, the kid could just use a toilet). In any case, if that's all available, I have no trouble using it. If I gotta go, I gotta go.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Grand_Director wrote:because peeing on it isn't demeaning enough.

yea, I spit on it....pee on it and then scream vulgarities at it.......

i own that urinal when I am done....
Black Lives Matter
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

It is to warn off the poisonous snakes hiding in the vicinity before exposing a tender portion of anatomy, obviously. Like jiggling the handle of your front door so remus west has a warning to get off of your wife before you enter your house.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Scuzz wrote:

you guys owe me a new keyboard. And half a diet coke. (of course, then I had to pee on it and call it a trashy little whore)
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
WPD

Post by WPD »

Why not?
Later ya'll.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Jeff V wrote:What I don't get is why they have them at different heights in corporate office buildings (such as the where I work). There is virtually no chance a little kid will need to use it (and in such unlikely scenarios, the kid could just use a toilet).

Midgets.

I think the American's with Disabilities Act has a say in it as well.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

Kraken wrote:
It's news to me, too. Maybe not customary in our region?
I've never seen it either, never even ocurred to me to do such a thing. But now I can't stop!
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Odin

Post by Odin »

Scuzz wrote:

Oh man, I haven't laughed that hard in a while. Brilliant!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Chaosraven wrote:It is to warn off the poisonous snakes hiding in the vicinity before exposing a tender portion of anatomy, obviously. Like jiggling the handle of your front door so remus west has a warning to get off of your wife before you enter your house.
I thought that was the signal for "tape is running out. hurry up." Sorry about last Friday. :oops:

I spit in urinals but then I realized the other day that I spit a lot. I need to cut back.

As for the "little boy" urinals, I do not use them because you can not direct the stream in such a manner as to avoid splashback due to the height and the top surface getting in the way. I'll patiently wait for a "man" urinal or use a stall to avoid having my own urine splashed onto my pants. Plus, little kids miss even more than grown men (who are disgusting enough in that regard) and I don't like the idea of standing in their piss even though I know there is not enough on the floor to notice and that I likely step in stuff much nastier several times a day walking down the street.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Bob

Post by Bob »

Trent Steel wrote:Another thing I don't get is when I'm using the "big boy" urinal, someone will come in after me and instead of using the perfectly good "little boy" urinal next to me, they will either wait until I'm done or go into a stall to piss. I can only assume that these people are pompous a-holes who feel that using a urinal that close to the floor is below their standards.
They are intimidated by your man-junk.

It's because they don't want to stand and pee right next to you. Have you never seen the bathroom rules?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnOaMC8KHA4" target="_blank
Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?
CGMark

Post by CGMark »

ummmm.....why are you watching the other guys pee? well and spit obviously. just asking, to each their own. Figured I would ask though.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

CGMark wrote:ummmm.....why are you watching the other guys pee? well and spit obviously. just asking, to each their own. Figured I would ask though.
Maybe he wants them to swallow at the urinal.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Brian wrote:
Jeff V wrote:What I don't get is why they have them at different heights in corporate office buildings (such as the where I work). There is virtually no chance a little kid will need to use it (and in such unlikely scenarios, the kid could just use a toilet).

Midgets.

I think the American's with Disabilities Act has a say in it as well.
Yeah, it's ADA and building codes.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Yeah, it's ADA and building codes.
The American Dental Association wants midget urinals to spit in? I've never seen one of those in my dentist office. And they don't even have those swirly sinks anymore. They put a mini vacuum in my mouth and say "close".
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I don't think I've spit into a urinal more than a time or two in my entire life.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Kelric wrote:I don't think I've spit into a urinal more than a time or two in my entire life.
Same here - my spitting aim isn't very good - I'd miss, get my leg, my shirt, etc. Much like my peeing aim, come to think of it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:Yeah, it's ADA and building codes.
The American Dental Association wants midget urinals to spit in? I've never seen one of those in my dentist office. And they don't even have those swirly sinks anymore. They put a mini vacuum in my mouth and say "close".
Your's puts it in your mouth? Odd, mine puts it in my wallet, and when I question him, he says "which one of us has the DDS degree?"
Black Lives Matter
Brian

Post by Brian »

So this thread went from spitting into urinals to midget dentists putting things in your mouth.

You know, OO turned into a gay sex chat room so gradually I barely had time to shop for a studded leather chaps and bustier set.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Brian wrote:So this thread went from spitting into urinals to midget dentists putting things in your mouth.

You know, OO turned into a gay sex chat room so gradually I barely had time to shop for a studded leather chaps and bustier set.
Anyone catch the season premier of Glee last night?
Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Never
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Bob wrote:
Brian wrote:So this thread went from spitting into urinals to midget dentists putting things in your mouth.

Anyone catch the season premier of Glee last night?

and history will show when OO changed...............
Black Lives Matter