Forum Dashboard

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

tals

Forum Dashboard

Post by tals »

A post in one of the other areas got me thinking. Woul dit be possible at some point to have a forum dashboard. Could show for instance the boards top posters, current active topics and a host of other things I can't think of right now :)

Tals
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Could you like to some forums where I can see this in action?

That's a good idea in general actually. If you have an idea about the boards, and know somewhere that does it, show everyone.
CharlieDelta

Post by CharlieDelta »

Unless I'm understanding him wrong, he's asking for something along the lines of this at Hardly Working, or this at Adult Gamers Elite. In both instances, down the left and/or right hand sides, there's various panels for things like Forum Posts (Newest posts) Membership (Who's online/newest members etc...) Weekly Polls, poll results for previous weeks, etc...
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

I see. Well, he said he'd send me a screenshot in any case.

Tal, the reason we're removing images from sigs is that we find them horribly obnoxious. It's no offense to people who like such things. We think we're going to give people more to "express themselves" with here, but images in sigs won't be one of them. Sorry.
tals

Post by tals »

Peacedog wrote:Tal, the reason we're removing images from sigs is that we find them horribly obnoxious. It's no offense to people who like such things. We think we're going to give people more to "express themselves" with here, but images in sigs won't be one of them. Sorry.
I found it a shame :(

I think the xfire sigs work quite well and fit no larger than the general signatures. My point in the pm was more because of the lack of discussion regarding it - rather than anything else.

Tals
tals

Post by tals »

CharlieDelta wrote:Unless I'm understanding him wrong, he's asking for something along the lines of this at Hardly Working, or this at Adult Gamers Elite. In both instances, down the left and/or right hand sides, there's various panels for things like Forum Posts (Newest posts) Membership (Who's online/newest members etc...) Weekly Polls, poll results for previous weeks, etc...
Yep similar to that - I think what we have done is more classy than that - those sites come across as very busy - which is not the idea of a dashboard imho. PD has the screenshot so it allows him to at least visualise what I am thinking - but in a totally different context if that makes sense :)

Tals
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Peacedog wrote:I see. Well, he said he'd send me a screenshot in any case.

Tal, the reason we're removing images from sigs is that we find them horribly obnoxious. It's no offense to people who like such things. We think we're going to give people more to "express themselves" with here, but images in sigs won't be one of them. Sorry.
Agreed, I hate those things with a passion for whatever reason. I want to read a post, not see some stupid image that I have to scroll through. Good call, IMO.

Grifman
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

tals wrote:I found [not having images in signatures] a shame :(

I think the xfire sigs work quite well and fit no larger than the general signatures. My point in the pm was more because of the lack of discussion regarding it - rather than anything else.
GG never allowed images in signatures, which, for my two cents, was a good thing.

It's not the space concern that bothers me. As someone who surfs a lot on dialup, having every thread need to load as many images as there are posters makes my browsing much slower on forums that allow such images.

Even the smallest image is larger and takes longer to DL than the equivalent amount of text space, and that gets quite frustrating when you try to read longer threads, especially.

Just thought I'd give you some of that discussion you seem to be craving, even if the question has already been declared academic. :)

- Ash
Spock's Brain

Post by Spock's Brain »

I don't know about anybody else, but I miss having the active topics link on the forum front page. It saved me a lot of time having to go through each individual forum to see if anything new had been posted.

Oh yeah, and I'll cast another vote against images in sigs for the reasons Grifman and Asharak have already stated.
gwartok

Post by gwartok »

Would it be hard to set the new site/forums up with RSS feeds for most active topics, most recent topics, etc?

I'm also in agreement for keeping image sigs out.
tals

Post by tals »

OK here is another site with a less busy dashboard

http://www.mmorpg.com/index.cfm

Also this site uses a rating forumla for members, similar to number of posts but based on times they have gone to the forum, posted in it etc. Also used as a penalty system as well. It seems to work quite well - just not sure what forumla they use :)

Tals
EngineNo9

Post by EngineNo9 »

There was actually quite a lengthy discussion of avatars and signature images over in this thread, for what it's worth.
tals

Post by tals »

Ohh don't mind my sig, i've moved on from there - i'll change it when I have a moment :)
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Just a FWIW, but this is definately low priority right now. We will browse the mods and hacks and see what is out there, though.

IIRC there is some sort of RSS based mod, but I think it is for supplying news.