Looking for a webcam

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Blackhawk

Looking for a webcam

Post by Blackhawk »

As you may have seen in the pen-and-paper thread, I've had to move my D&D game from in-person to online. I'm set up and good to go, but my son, who's also a player, does not have a webcam. Ordinarily that wouldn't be an issue. I bought my own - a Logitech C525 - for $25 in November. That same camera is now $240 due to price gouging. Every camera I've looked at in the past few days is either of terrible quality, out of stock, or priced gouged to dozens of times its normal price.

Does anyone have a halfway decent, 720+ USB webcam compatible with Windows 10 that they'd be willing to let go for a fair, normal price? I can't afford a lot, and while I don't want bottom shelf junk, I also can't afford a luxury streaming camera. I could probably offer $35, and that's stretching it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Re: Looking for a webcam

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:25 pm As you may have seen in the pen-and-paper thread, I've had to move my D&D game from in-person to online. I'm set up and good to go, but my son, who's also a player, does not have a webcam. Ordinarily that wouldn't be an issue. I bought my own - a Logitech C525 - for $25 in November. That same camera is now $240 due to price gouging. Every camera I've looked at in the past few days is either of terrible quality, out of stock, or priced gouged to dozens of times its normal price.

Does anyone have a halfway decent, 720+ USB webcam compatible with Windows 10 that they'd be willing to let go for a fair, normal price? I can't afford a lot, and while I don't want bottom shelf junk, I also can't afford a luxury streaming camera. I could probably offer $35, and that's stretching it.
i have a few but they're old (grainy video, no microphone, need open source drivers since their last supported Windows OS was 98). you could have any of those for free. one is a bit newer but it's Firewire only.

friend has an 'opened only' new in box Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX she bought for her Mac, but it's not compatible with OS X (i tried using Macam with it - no luck). she would be willing to send it for the cost of shipping (without the box, probably about $5-8?). i tested it with my office Win10 laptop and it works fine.

check eBay for 'direct from China to you': https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... webcam+720
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I *may* have a spare around somewhere. I'll look in my drawer of spare parts. Should be a perfectly usable Logitech.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Webcams are really hard to find right now due to crazy demand. Mrs. Skinypupy was looking for one so she could teach virtual dance lessons with the kids at her studio. She couldn't find anything that would be delivered before end of May.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I've looked in the usual places, but so far haven't found anything.

If you have a spare tablet around those usually have a camera that would be suitable for vid-con
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

sent one out to Blackhawk a few hours ago
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:24 pm sent one out to Blackhawk a few hours ago
Yep. It's an old model, fairly low resolution, but it will do the job until the chaos dies down and I can get something better without price gouging.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)