Stonemaier Games Wingspan - $54.99 on Amazon

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I received an alert from CamelCamelCamel that Amazon currently has the hard-to-come-by Wingspan game in stock for $54.99 w/ Prime shipping.

From the looks of it, there are only a few copies left. So, if you're interested, you'd best jump on it while the getting's good.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Isgrimnur

Re: Stonemaier Games Wingspan - $54.99 on Amazon

Post by Isgrimnur »

Only 3 left in stock - order soon.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:15 am
Only 3 left in stock - order soon.
I ordered and it still says 3 left in stock. Lies!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

It's a fine game, but I'm not quite sure why it has gotten all the hype. The artwork is great and the theme is nice, but IMO, the game play isn't anything super innovative or unique. Also, birds are the worst.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:43 am It's a fine game, but I'm not quite sure why it has gotten all the hype. The artwork is great and the theme is nice, but IMO, the game play isn't anything super innovative or unique. Also, birds are the worst.
You may not be the target demographic.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:43 am It's a fine game, but I'm not quite sure why it has gotten all the hype. The artwork is great and the theme is nice, but IMO, the game play isn't anything super innovative or unique. Also, birds are the worst.
I am hearing good intro engine-builder with nice art. Haven't played it... and amazon won't let me cancel the order because it is preparing for shipment... ordered today, delivery monday. Yeah, getting pretty close to boxing that one up.

Reminds me of a video we were shown at work about how hard it is to close your amazon account.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I will say that it definitely has been a good game to get people not normally interested in board gaming to give it a try. Of course, most of my friends are biologists so I suppose it isn't surprising that the game would spark their interest.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I want to try it but I bought Scythe before playing and didn't care for it at all. Never could get it to click. I'm sure it's a great game, but it just wasn't my style at all.

I'm afraid Wingspan would wind up falling into the same boat.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Worst comes to worst I play it then sell it at the game convention in two months and recoup most of my costs.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Just picked up a copy in trade for my old Intermetro game shelves, and I picked up the Broken Token organizer. It’s a lite but deep engine builder. And I’m a sucker for engine builders like hepcat is for dungeon crawlers.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

It's a nice gateway game (or maybe a stepping stone once you're ready to go past gateway games), but $55 feels like way too much for the gameplay it delivers, IMO. (I guess it's because of the components and the strong box, but still...)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:49 am Just picked up a copy in trade for my old Intermetro game shelves, and I picked up the Broken Token organizer. It’s a lite but deep engine builder. And I’m a sucker for engine builders like hepcat is for dungeon crawlers.
...and Pax games, COIN games, pew pew space games, grand strategy games, pachinko...ah hell, I love games.
He won. Period.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Funny but many moons back when the frenzy for this had spooled up, the wife told me quite randomly one day that she'd seen an interview with a lady game designer and wanted me to acquire the game for her. With her not being into board games, she couldn't recall the name so I blurted out "You mean... Wingspan?" :shock: Yup! I told her it would take some time and to be patient, during which time I think she actually forgot about it. I checked with my FLGS and they put my on The List for maybe getting one in July from the 2nd printing. I also hooked up a Covenant subscription for it as well, just to cover my bases and then forgot about it as well. Suddenly last month the Covenant version came through and it showed up, to which she said "Oh yah!" and was very excited for a brief moment of time. I put the birdhouse dice tower together and... there it sits. Ah well, into the collection you go! :lol:

Got a call from my FLGS a couple of weeks ago to tell me they got ONE copy in and I was the lucky dude at the top of the list. Laughed and told them to pass it along to the next luckiest person on the list.

Still working on getting it (and her) to the table one of these weekends.
-mf
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Got to try this out over the weekend, and it definitely ranks as one of the all-time great gateway games IMO.

BTW, for anyone that enjoys upgrading their game components, this set of 3D-printed bird action markers (or, if you prefer, birdhouse markers) provide a great thematic improvement over the included wooden cubes:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:51 pm Got to try this out over the weekend, and it definitely ranks as one of the all-time great gateway games IMO.

BTW, for anyone that enjoys upgrading their game components, this set of 3D-printed bird action markers (or, if you prefer, birdhouse markers) provide a great thematic improvement over the included wooden cubes:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
dammit man... done!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter