Looking for a Nintendo 64, a couple of specific games, controllers

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Blackhawk

Looking for a Nintendo 64, a couple of specific games, controllers

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm putting out feelers here and in a couple of other places. My son's 18th birthday is coming up in about three weeks. He's autistic, and his fixation has always been Nintendo. Mostly Fire Emblem and Mario, but lately Smash. This is a big-deal birthday, so we're wanting to do something special for him. We'd like to get him an N64. He already has an SNES, which he's played quite a bit.

Specifically, I am looking to get:

An N64 in good, working condition, with all of the necessary parts/cables/etc
At least two controllers (so we can play Mario Kart together)
Mario Kart 64
Super Smash Bros for N64

All working, of course. It would kind of spoil the day to turn it on to a black screen.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Re: Looking for a Nintendo 64, a couple of specific games, controllers

Post by hitbyambulance »

when i was working at Nintendo, there was an annual 'employee garage sale' where the company would unload backstock of their stuff for reasonable prices. at this particular one, they had *stacks* of N64s for $8 each. i really, really should have stocked up.
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

In aus i still find n64s in secondhand game stores and collectible shops. Maybe even a greenshed (business attached yo garbage dump for recycling good junk)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I know a couple of places that carry them. Places I trust for 23-year-old hardware is another matter.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:07 am I know a couple of places that carry them. Places I trust for 23-year-old hardware is another matter.
if you're able to try it at the shop and it works fine, i would be assured it will keep working. except for the power/reset buttons (which are easily fixed), it's all solid-state hardware. no optical drives to worry about.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I made it into town today and was able to pick one up, plus a second controller and a copy of Super Mario 64. I also picked him up a couple of games off of ebay (Smash and Mario Kart.) It's a lot of money for us, but he only gets one 18th birthday.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:00 am I made it into town today and was able to pick one up, plus a second controller and a copy of Super Mario 64. I also picked him up a couple of games off of ebay (Smash and Mario Kart.) It's a lot of money for us, but he only gets one 18th birthday.

...and Smash is counterfeit. His birthday is Saturday. Now I either give him a fake gift, or I return it and get a refund and don't give him the gift. :angry-cussingwhite: :angry-cussingblack:
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I'm curious, what is the consequence of Smash being counterfeit? Does it not run?

It's too bad N64 is difficult to emulate on cheap hardware.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:51 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:00 am I made it into town today and was able to pick one up, plus a second controller and a copy of Super Mario 64. I also picked him up a couple of games off of ebay (Smash and Mario Kart.) It's a lot of money for us, but he only gets one 18th birthday.

...and Smash is counterfeit. His birthday is Saturday. Now I either give him a fake gift, or I return it and get a refund and don't give him the gift. :angry-cussingwhite: :angry-cussingblack:
give him an IOU for it for his birthday and bust the seller's chops