Re: Epic Games storefront: free titles

Post by hitbyambulance »

[3/19 - 3/26]
The Stanley Parable
Watch Dogs

[3/19 - 4/02]
Figment
Tormentor x Punisher

I got The Stanley Parable in a Humble Bundle some years ago and Watch Dogs in a UPlay giveaway... also some years ago.

Tormentor x Punisher is a fun-enough top-down frantic shooter (like, e.g. Crimsonland)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

[3/19 - 4/02]
Figment
Tormentor x Punisher
World War Z

[4/02 - 4/09]
Gone Home
Hob
Drawful 2

had no interest in World War Z until i saw it was made by Saber Interactive (developers of Will Rock, TimeShift and the Halo remakes)

EDIT: Drawful 2 [3/28 - 4/09] has been added
EDIT the second: Totally Reliable Delivery Service [4/1 - 4/08] has also been added
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

bump for updates - five free titles currently available
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Drawful 2 is also free on Steam.
I have but one advocate.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

[4/02 - 4/09]
Gone Home
Hob
Drawful 2
Totally Reliable Delivery Service

[4/09 - 4/16]
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

[4/09 - 4/16]
Close to the Sun
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments

[4/16 - 4/23]
Just Cause 4
Wheels of Aurelia

Close to the Sun reminds me of a cross between Condemned: Criminal Origins and one of those Frictional Games titles (Penumbra, Amnesia, SOMA)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

[4/23 - 4/30]
For the King

[4/30 - 5/7]
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Crashlands
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They are now requiring 2FA to grab free games.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/n ... free-games

Malwarebytes says it blocked a trojan when I actually went to epics site to the 2FP area. Not the link I provided but the link there at that place.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

This requirement is only going to last for a handful of weeks? Does that make sense?
I have but one advocate.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

[4/30 - 5/7]
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Crashlands

[5/7 - 5/14]
Death Coming
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Death Coming is now available. And the next game?

The next free game from the Epic Store is, uh… what the heck? (from PCGamesN)
It’s Thursday, and that means it’s time to see the next selection of free PC games from the Epic Games Store. Epic has revealed what to expect next week, and it’s – wait a minute. Friends, I have been writing a news story about the free Epic game once per week for well over a year now, and we have entered unprecedented times. The next free Epic title is a “mystery game”.

Yes, for the first time I can remember, the latest free Epic Games Store title is going to remain a mystery until it launches. It’ll still go live on May 14 at the usual time of 8:00 PDT / 11:00 EDT / 16:00 BST, and you’ll be able to hit the promotion page, claim the game, and add it to your account forever. Probably. I don’t know, things are changing and I’m scared.

Epic’s been making a few changes to its rollout of free games, including the temporary requirement of two-factor authentication in order to claim the giveaways. The three-week window of enhanced security – and the mystery around this next launch – suggest that maybe next week’s game is going to be big. Or maybe Epic just wants to mess with us news writers.

We’ll find out for sure on May 14.

For now, you can pick up Death Coming, a cutesy murder simulator about harvesting human souls, as part of this week’s promotion.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

this must mean Unreal Tournament is finally ready for release.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Epic games next free titles used to be secret, right? So this is nothing new.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Slow news day. :wink:

Seems more to me like someone forgot to plan ahead and sort out the next giveaway's licensing.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The "mystery" free game is GTA V. :shock:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

And they're very offline.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's a great game, by the way, both the campaign and the online mode.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sudy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:34 am And they're very offline.
Taking the launcher for every game in their library with them.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Stress test worked, I guess. They know their limits. :D

When you activated the free title, it also dropped a $10 Epic coupon in your account. At least, it did for me. Doesn't matter right now.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I do wonder why they don't have a separate connection to their authentication servers so that a rush on the store doesn't lock everyone out of their game libraries.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:49 pm I do wonder why they don't have a separate connection to their authentication servers so that a rush on the store doesn't lock everyone out of their game libraries.
yep, that is a major screw up on their part. i can't even play my games now.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:58 am The "mystery" free game is GTA V. :shock:
owned it for years..BAH
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I've always been interested in it, but never pulled the trigger because, frankly, I'm not sure when I'd ever get to play it. Cursing is frowned upon at the Skinypupy household, and there's just not that many times when neither the kids or the wife are around that I'd be able to fire up a game like that. I used to have a couple hours every week to play any M-rated games while they were at church, but since that's been cancelled, I'm kinda out of luck on that front.

Will grab it while it's free though, and maybe I'll find a time I can lock myself in the office and give it a shot at some point.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:28 pm Will grab it while it's free though, and maybe I'll find a time I can lock myself in the office and give it a shot at some point.
It's really good - it's one of the only R* games I've completed and it was like working at a full-time job to get it done and stay focused. Close to 60 hours worth of actual, legit story - not running around side-questing or fishing. Definitely worth the experience.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

My client is back but it seems to be in Chinese. I don't read Chinese, but I seemed to be able to redeem the game.

I've always avoided GTA V as well, because even though it looks awesome I similarly feel self-conscious about playing games with rough content in front of my wife. Even though, unlike what I thought at the beginning of our relationship, she's probably less uptight about that stuff than I am. (I wasn't allowed to watch Ninja Turtles as a kid.) She recognizes that what we consume is not necessarily what we espouse. Yet, video games are more interactive than things we simply watch.

I actually don't think I've played any games in the series since GTA III. The setting of Vice City looked amazing though. The only GTA-esque game I really got into was Sleeping Dogs. I wish I'd completed it... I always get the urge to go back. It was so, so good... like stepping straight into Hong Kong crime cinema.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My Epic Store looks to have switched to Arabic writing so I cant tell what Im doing or how to change it back to English.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

لتغيير إعدادات لغتك في مشغل Epic Games:

1. انقر على رمز الترس في الركن الأيسر السفلي.
2. حدد لغتك المفضلة من القائمة

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Jokes aside, switching the language doesn't work... mine still shows as English being selected. I get a different display language every time I restart the client.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sudy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:11 pm Jokes aside, switching the language doesn't work... mine still shows as English being selected. I get a different display language every time I restart the client.
I just checked and it worked fine for me, I now own the same game I've been playing since it came out for PC years ago :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:28 pm I've always been interested in it, but never pulled the trigger because, frankly, I'm not sure when I'd ever get to play it. Cursing is frowned upon at the Skinypupy household, and there's just not that many times when neither the kids or the wife are around that I'd be able to fire up a game like that. I used to have a couple hours every week to play any M-rated games while they were at church, but since that's been cancelled, I'm kinda out of luck on that front.

Will grab it while it's free though, and maybe I'll find a time I can lock myself in the office and give it a shot at some point.
Headphones? It's amusing that it is the swearing that gets you in trouble, not the murder and crime. We really screwed our priorities up. (it's the same in my house, for the record, though my kids are a bit older)

I played it on console when it first came out. I've had it wish-listed on PC for a while, but never bought for much the same reason.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:54 pm Headphones?
I hate, hate, hate gaming with headphones. It completely disconnects me from the rest of the household...an extremely risky proposition with 6 year old twin boys.
It's amusing that it is the swearing that gets you in trouble, not the murder and crime. We really screwed our priorities up. (it's the same in my house, for the record, though my kids are a bit older)
Mrs. Skinypupy doesn't actually sit and watch any games, but she can hear the audio from whatever I'm playing when she walks by my office. I'm sure if she actually saw what was going on in the game, she'd be even more horrified.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You're going to love Trevor!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ghost Recon Breakpoint is about $20. With a $10 coupon its only $10. Is it like Wildlands or a different type game?

Oh and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw along with Assassins Creed Odyssey are both $10 with coupon.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:19 pm Ghost Recon Breakpoint is about $20. With a $10 coupon its only $10. Is it like Wildlands or a different type game?
Very similar to Wildlands, but far from the same. Breakpoint feels less structured which might sound better, but it's not. Open world games can be too open, as it turns out. I can't think of any way breakpoint improved on wildlands
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Unlike the previous sale that gave you a coupon, this one lets you apply it to DLC. I used mine for the Metro Exodus Season Pass. Might use the next one on Odyssey or wait to use it in a coming sale as it doesn't expire until October 31st.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I used the $10 coupon to pre-purchase Old World. Looks fun, from the maker of Civ IV.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Lassr wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:28 pm I used the $10 coupon to pre-purchase Old World. Looks fun, from the maker of Civ IV.
Hey, you got your Crusader Kings in my Civilization game! :D

I've been pretty rigorous about avoiding Early Access so I don't burn out on an unfinished game. Any ideas on how long Old World is supposed to be in Early Access? I've looked at some videos and it looks promising.

UPDATE: I signed up for the Mohawk Games newsletter and I got a free Steam Key for Free Multiplayer Client for Offworld Trading Company. So just something to think about.
Last edited by jztemple2 on Sun May 17, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Now to search through all the 14.95 titles and see how best to abuse my coupon...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ohh hand I remember Ghost Recon, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, AC Odyssey, and The Witcher 3 being really cheap with a coupon....I think Witcher 3 and Odyssey are $5.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:20 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:19 pm Ghost Recon Breakpoint is about $20. With a $10 coupon its only $10. Is it like Wildlands or a different type game?
Very similar to Wildlands, but far from the same. Breakpoint feels less structured which might sound better, but it's not. Open world games can be too open, as it turns out. I can't think of any way breakpoint improved on wildlands
I have 165 hours in Breakpoint and I think that while it is a different game than Wildlands, it is still quite enjoyable. The recent Ghost Experience update added a whole new way to play the game, dumping all that Gear Level nonsense system and making the game much more of a "me against a whole island filled with bad guys" experience. And this summer Ubisoft plans to release an update that adds the AI teammates you got used to in Wildlands, if that is your thing.