2016 Steam Summer Sale .....ITS HERE!!

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

JetFred

Re: 2016 Steam Summer Sale .....ITS HERE!!

Post by JetFred »

YellowKing wrote:Assassin's Creed: Unity: $19.99 - You serious, Clark?
How clever of you to work a Christmas Vacation reference into the summer sale.
I have but one advocate.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Pyperkub wrote:Anyone interested in a 2 or 4 pack of Offworld Trading Company?
Other than the fact that the Deluxe Edition comes with two keys, where are you looking at multi-packs?
I have but one advocate.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Saw a post at qt3

24.99 for 2, 39.99 for 4
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Pyperkub wrote:Saw a post at qt3

24.99 for 2, 39.99 for 4
I see, it's through the Stardock webpage itself. Looks like it's still a Steam key.
I have but one advocate.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I think I found it on the steam site too, but I may be mistaken

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wonder if this lame sale will be what we get for Christmas and if it will dampen our very fun Christmas giving thread and gifts? I have so much fun participating in that each year and save money I dont have just to do that.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No need to wonder - this is what STEAM sales will look like from now on. It all started last year and this is exactly what the Winter sale of 2015/2016 was like. At one point we'll all be able to sit around the retired gamer table and tell all the kids that we remember the flash deals and themed games Valve created to give away gems, sacks of coal and free cards.

With the ability to return games flash sales or timed pricing no longer makes sense. Pay $10 for a game today and it's on flash sale tomorrow for $0.37? That's madness.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

YellowKing wrote: Wasteland 2: $19.99 - You've been able to get this game at this price for ages.
To be fair, this is the new "director's cut" edition. Which of course is probably just a justification for keeping the price high, but whatever.

You're larger point stands though. Steam sales ain't what they used to be... especially in this day and age of crazy humble bundles.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Good point, and I'd like to clarify that this is just personal opinion - if there are a lot of games on sale that you don't have, then obviously this may be the best sale ever for you.

Part of the problem is I already have so many games, that putting stuff on sale that has been out for 2-3 years doesn't do anything for me. Because if I wanted it, chances are I already picked it up in a Steam sale at some point within those same 2-3 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

As a counterpoint, I have 500 games, a backlog a mile deep, and still found seven games to buy. Of course, I am no longer a cutting-edge gamer, content to play stuff that's a few years old rather than price watch stuff that's a recent release.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Counter-counter-point. We've gotten used to buying products at 80% or 90% off. Now we're complaining about 40% or 50% off being a bad deal. It isn't. It only looks like a bad deal because we're used to absurd deals.

Anywhere else, 50% off would be fantastic.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

granite counter-top point... I have lots of games, no backlog at all and bought $200 in steam wallet cards... I can't find anything to buy.

Technically not true, I bought dead state for $5 and was bored by it within an hour. I also bought We Slay Monsters for $2.50 and finished the available content in a couple hours (it's early access and incomplete).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Counter-counter-intuitive point. I get that. I had two things I was looking for - The Witcher 3 for me, and Torchlight 2 for the kids for coop (no, not you.) Other than that, nothing is cheap enough for me to buy just because it is there and happens to be a dollar. There are other games on my list that I actually want, but they are games with good prices now, which means research and a concept of investment rather than the wild impulse buying of years past.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote:granite counter-top point... I have lots of games, no backlog at all and bought $200 in steam wallet cards... I can't find anything to buy.

Technically not true, I bought dead state for $5 and was bored by it within an hour. I also bought We Slay Monsters for $2.50 and finished the available content in a couple hours (it's early access and incomplete).
I take charity! 8-)

On a serious note, there are games I'd consider... if I didn't have a backlog. If I move my arbitrary $10 threshold to $15 (which supports what others are saying), then there would be a few more. There are definitely ones that I *want* to get, that are sitting just a wee bit higher than I'd like. So with my backlog I've decided that I can wait. Maybe the next sale. Or the one after that. I'll probably get them eventually. But not now.

What I'm focusing on now is co-op games that I can play with friends that live elsewhere. Since the ones I'm looking at don't have great discounts, it is even less likely that I'll pick up any iffy ones.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I've shot myself in the foot because I have been so conscientious about that damn queue function. If I hadn't done so many, and "taught" it so well, I would just be blowing through the clicks to get my stupid, PITA cards, but it's actually showing me stuff I am interested in, and never knew existed. Foiled again!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Anyone interested in a 2 or 4 pack of Offworld Trading Company? (24.99/39.99) from Stardock?

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Well, I figured that I'd waited long enough.

Grabbed...

Civ V bundle (really only wanted Brave New World, I had everything else except for a couple of map packs).
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Divinity: Original Sin EE - Collector's Edition (for the extra copy)
TableTop Simulator DLC - Zombicide
TableTop Simulator DLC - Mistfall

$54.05

That should be it for me on this sale.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It figures the day after I go off on a rant about how meh the sale is, I find three or four titles I want to pick up. :oops:
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I don't see any reason this should kill our Christmas wish list giving.
I have but one advocate.
Rip

Post by Rip »

JetFred wrote:I don't see any reason this should kill our Christmas wish list giving.
Agreed.

But that say more about the community than steam prices.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Stellaris and Total War:Warhammer have backlogged me heavily, and then there's Witcher 3.

Still, I'm interested in more non-violent games for the girls (7 and 8). They love the LEGO and Sky Fox adventure games. Any other suggestions?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rip wrote:
JetFred wrote:I don't see any reason this should kill our Christmas wish list giving.
Agreed.

But that say more about the community than steam prices.
We aren't typically gifting AAA titles within the first year, anyway. I have numerous things in the wishlist that go on sale sub-$10 on the events, and I've not seen many people participating that aren't the same.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im just collecting cards. I am making badges from both the normal cards and the foil ones if anyone wants to trade for my extras.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Zarathud wrote:Stellaris and Total War:Warhammer have backlogged me heavily, and then there's Witcher 3.

Still, I'm interested in more non-violent games for the girls (7 and 8). They love the LEGO and Sky Fox adventure games. Any other suggestions?
If you're looking for point and click adventures, there's the Nancy Drew adventure games. And there's Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet, which I've only started, but seems very much like a Secret of Monkey Island game.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zarathud wrote:Still, I'm interested in more non-violent games for the girls (7 and 8). They love the LEGO and Sky Fox adventure games. Any other suggestions?
Check out "Book of Unwritten Tales".

My two girls (currently, 9 and 11) also loved one of the Broken Sword games, I think it was the last one (but the earlier ones are actually better IMO, if not as pretty).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Done with the normal card badge now I just need foil cards.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

By far worst steam sale. I bought exactly one game, "its a wipe" and everything else were just too high priced to rationalize with my backlog. Certainly one of the worst summer sales in memory.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub wrote:Anyone interested in a 2 or 4 pack of Offworld Trading Company? (24.99/39.99) from Stardock?
Going in on a 2-pack with a qt3er today. Anyone want to jump in and make it a 4-pack? Cuts the price to <$10 each...

JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Okay, folks, sale prices last until Steam refreshes on Monday.
I have but one advocate.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I picked up Age of Wonders 3 at 75% off and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter at 80% off.

Ethan Carter has been on my wish list since release, so I figured I may as well nab it.

AoW3 was a pure impulse buy, but I enjoyed the first two and I've read that patches have fixed many of the issues AoW3 had at release.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have less than $10 and I cant find a thing to get.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I've bought over 20 games and I don't think any were more than $4. What are you looking for?
I have but one advocate.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sort my wishlist by price. There's plenty under $4.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Massive Chalice is supposed to be good.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

JetFred wrote:I've bought over 20 games and I don't think any were more than $4. What are you looking for?
No idea...just nothing grabbing me. I looked at my wishlist and theres stuff I could get on it but they just aren't interesting me right now enough to spend the last of my money on.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Oh. Well then you really weren't asking for help, then.
I have but one advocate.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote:No idea...just nothing grabbing me. I looked at my wishlist and theres stuff I could get on it but they just aren't interesting me right now enough to spend the last of my money on.
You could...not spend it and have it for the identical STEAM sales that will be here in a little over 5 months?
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Smoove_B wrote:
Daehawk wrote:No idea...just nothing grabbing me. I looked at my wishlist and theres stuff I could get on it but they just aren't interesting me right now enough to spend the last of my money on.
You could...not spend it and have it for the identical STEAM sales that will be here in a little over 5 months?
But..but...what about Gabe's children?! :o
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

To date, Valve made $175 on the sale of a single regular version of one of the holiday trading cards (175,000 sold), so back of the napkin math tells me it's likely closer to $200 by tomorrow and then $2,000 for their cut on all the regular Summer 2016 card versions sold. Even with giving us all free imaginary cards, they still managed to make money. $2,000 is peanuts in the grand scheme of things but it's still impressive for doing nothing but hosting the transfers and data structure - so Gabe's children will be ok. :wink:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Smoove_B wrote:To date, Valve made $175 on the sale of a single regular version of one of the holiday trading cards (175,000 sold), so back of the napkin math tells me it's likely closer to $200 by tomorrow and then $2,000 for their cut on all the regular Summer 2016 card versions sold. Even with giving us all free imaginary cards, they still managed to make money. $2,000 is peanuts in the grand scheme of things but it's still impressive for doing nothing but hosting the transfers and data structure - so Gabe's children will be ok. :wink:
They probably spent more than $2000 on the graphics development and web development to deploy the cards.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow