[Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Isgrimnur

Re: [Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's always the audiobook version of Shirer.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The Left Hand of Darkness is $2, for those looking to shore up your lady SF writers backlog.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

I bought it even though I was not a huge Earthsea fan. Also not avalable digitally via my library, which will prompt me to buy almost any highly rated book. God, I'm so weak. I need a budget (INAB).
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

In case folks are interested, three of the five books of the Peter Ackroyd The History of England are $2.99 today. These are volumes two, three and four of the series, the fifth volume is set to be released next month.

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sold. I apparently already had bought the first one.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:23 pm Thanks for the heads up Moliere, grabbed both SALT: A WORLD HISTORY and OLD MAN'S WAR. And yes, I can't believe I bought a book about salt, but this isn't the first time I've heard great things about it.
It's on sale again. Did you like it?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Jag

Post by Jag »

The Dragon's Blade Trilogy: A Complete Epic Fantasy Series .99 cents for the trilogy on Kindle. Never heard of it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GYVQQBX
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Moliere wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:56 pm
YellowKing wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:23 pm Thanks for the heads up Moliere, grabbed both SALT: A WORLD HISTORY and OLD MAN'S WAR. And yes, I can't believe I bought a book about salt, but this isn't the first time I've heard great things about it.
"Salt" was my first Audible title and I thought it was interesting as hell.
-mf
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:39 pm
Moliere wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:56 pm
"Salt" was my first Audible title and I thought it was interesting as hell.
I have a bad habit of picking up Kindle titles even when I had the physical book :roll:. However, I have Salt in hardcover, so I think I'll pass. It was an excellent read.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Concur with the above - SALT was way more interesting than a book about salt had any right to be. Highly recommended.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Old school - The Adventures of Fafhrd and The Gray Mouser: Swords and Deviltry, Swords Against Death, and Swords in the Mist for $2.99 as a daily deal. Doesn't list a regular price, but it's part of the daily dealing list so I'm not really sure what the discount is.
Many decades before George R. R. Martin’s Game of Thrones, Grand Master Fritz Leiber ruled the sword-and-sorcery universe. These three short story collections chronicle the unconventional adventures of Leiber’s endearing antiheroes: barbarian Fafhrd and former wizard’s apprentice, the Gray Mouser.

Swords and Deviltry: Fafhrd, a handsome barbarian of the Steppes, is seduced by a beautiful prostitute and her equally intoxicating city, while the Gray Mouser, a slum rat wizard-in-training, is tempted by the dark arts. The two men meet on a night of multiple thieveries and an enduring partnership is born.

Swords Against Death: Rogue swordsmen and devoted companions Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser pursue ill-gotten fortunes within the confines of Lankhmar. They cross paths with two wizards, Sheelba of the Eyeless Face and Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, and a most violent clash ensues. Eventually, following further adventures, the two antiheroes end up as indentured swordsman servants to their former foes.

Swords in the Mist: A cloud of concentrated hatred and lean times in Lankhmar compels Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser to temporarily depart the most corrupt metropolis in all of Nehwon as they seek adventure in the realm of the Sea-King—and on a different world entirely.

This must-read collection of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser short stories features multiple Hugo and Nebula Award–nominated tales, and includes the acclaimed novella Ill Met in Lankhmar.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Anybody want to weigh in on Fafhird? I know it was one of the books that GRR Martin mentions as an inspiration....but does it hold up?
Jag

Post by Jag »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:05 pm Anybody want to weigh in on Fafhird? I know it was one of the books that GRR Martin mentions as an inspiration....but does it hold up?
Read it probably 35 or more years ago. Remember it being pretty straightforward sword and sorcery. Decent for the time, but dated when compared to more modern fantasy. Lots of tropes used over and over again, but unique when it was written. I had the same feeling when I read the original Conan stories. Fairly basic, but enjoyable to see how it inspired my favorite genre.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jag wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:13 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:05 pm Anybody want to weigh in on Fafhird? I know it was one of the books that GRR Martin mentions as an inspiration....but does it hold up?
Read it probably 35 or more years ago. Remember it being pretty straightforward sword and sorcery. Decent for the time, but dated when compared to more modern fantasy. Lots of tropes used over and over again, but unique when it was written. I had the same feeling when I read the original Conan stories. Fairly basic, but enjoyable to see how it inspired my favorite genre.
They also mainly short stories. I think only one of the original 6 books was a full length novel.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Excellent book available on sale today on Kindle, Bringing Columbia Home: The Untold Story of a Lost Space Shuttle and Her Crew by Mike Leinbach. I got the hardcover version on release. Having been part of the Shuttle program at the time I can say that Mike tells the story, of which he was intimately involved, very well. I worked with Mike in some capacity for pretty much the whole program.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sold.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The Collected Novels: Lie Down in Darkness, Set This House on Fire, The Confessions of Nat Turner, and Sophie's Choice by William Styron
$2.99
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Paging hepcat.

Tor.com’s eBook of the Month Club

Enlarge Image
H.P. Lovecraft’s legacy has been the subject of intense debate. And this book has its finger on the pulse of that discussion.

People move to New York looking for magic and nothing will convince them it isn’t there.

Charles Thomas Tester hustles to put food on the table, keep the roof over his father’s head, from Harlem to Flushing Meadows to Red Hook. He knows what magic a suit can cast, the invisibility a guitar case can provide, and the curse written on his skin that attracts the eye of wealthy white folks and their cops. But when he delivers an occult tome to a reclusive sorceress in the heart of Queens, Tom opens a door to a deeper realm of magic, and earns the attention of things best left sleeping.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I bought that after I read Lovecraft Country and still haven't read it. I need to move that up my list...
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The Hike by Drew Magary for $1.99.

If you only know Magary from his wise-ass sports blogging at Deadspin, this may come as a surprise. It's quite a mind fuck about a guy who goes for a short hike and can't seem to find his way back. I really enjoyed it.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Purchased, thanks for the recommendation!
Jag

Post by Jag »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:53 pm The Hike by Drew Magary for $1.99.

If you only know Magary from his wise-ass sports blogging at Deadspin, this may come as a surprise. It's quite a mind fuck about a guy who goes for a short hike and can't seem to find his way back. I really enjoyed it.
I like Magary's writing, so maybe I'll pick it up. I too once went on a short hike and couldn't find my home (I eventually did).
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Yeah...there were EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES but I've gotten lost a couple times hiking.

All these times were at The Big Lake. Which, you know...is always to the West for me. Um yeah...extenuating circumstances...
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The character getting lost in The Hike ends up running from killers with scalped dog faces over their heads, partnering with a talking crab, and trying to avoid getting eaten by a giant.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Honestly, due to the a fore mentioned extenuation circumstances I was seeing things like that too.

Did I write this book?

If I was Drew in real life I wouldn't have fucked up that wagyu like he did.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:05 pm Yeah...there were EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES but I've gotten lost a couple times hiking.

All these times were at The Big Lake. Which, you know...is always to the West for me. Um yeah...extenuating circumstances...
For me it was during college, I may have had some extenuating circumstances too...my memory is somewhat hazy of that time.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:10 pm The character getting lost in The Hike ends up running from killers with scalped dog faces over their heads, partnering with a talking crab, and trying to avoid getting eaten by a giant.
Pseudonym for Hunter S. Thompson?

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think it's on sale for the whole month, but each of the three books of the Reckoners by Brandon Sanderson is $1.99 or $5.97 for the bundled trilogy. I read the first three books of the Mistborn series by him and felt it was mediocre; I've mentioned it before - it felt very stiff to me - like someone that knew the technical aspects of writing (which I know he does) but without style.

Anyway, I saw The Reckoners on sale and so far (I'm about 1/3 of the way through the first book) I'm enjoying it much more. What's the story?
After the appearance of Calamity, a mysterious celestial force, ordinary humans began to exhibit superhuman powers. They became known as Epics and used their powers to control others. When David was eight years old, he witnessed his father's ruthless murder at the hand of Steelheart, one of the most powerful Epics in the world. Ten years later, David lives in Newcago (once Chicago) under the tyrannical rule of Steelheart and his inner circle of Epics. David has spent the last decade researching everything he can about Epics: their habits, their powers, and their weaknesses. He wants to join the Reckoners, a secretive group of humans dedicated to killing Epics, and convince them to take on Steelheart. However, even after all his study, David has not figured out the seemingly invincible Epic's weakness-without that knowledge, his plan for revenge cannot succeed. MacLeod Andrews's understated performance of the first-person narration is highly effective and makes the engaging action scenes stand out in contrast. He transitions easily among characters who vary in age, background, and status within the world of humans and Epics. Revelations in the climactic battle add layers and substance to the story, and listeners will look forward to more in future installments.—Amanda Raklovits, Champaign Public Library, IL
I'm not getting a YA vibe from it, though The Hunger Games fooled me for a while. Anyway, paired with the board game, I'm quite interested to see how the story unfolds.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

A Fire Upon the Deep was fantastic. Assuming you like hard science fiction.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

TheMix wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:39 pm A Fire Upon the Deep was fantastic. Assuming you like hard science fiction.
From the blurb on Amazon it looks more like a fish out out water tale set in a medeival world.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Moat_Man wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:34 pm
TheMix wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:39 pm A Fire Upon the Deep was fantastic. Assuming you like hard science fiction.
From the blurb on Amazon it looks more like a fish out out water tale set in a medeival world.
Go by the wiki entry. It is very much science fiction.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

TheMix wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:51 pm
Moat_Man wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:34 pm
Go by the wiki entry. It is very much science fiction.
That's a far better description.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Jag

Post by Jag »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:30 pm I think it's on sale for the whole month, but each of the three books of the Reckoners by Brandon Sanderson is $1.99 or $5.97 for the bundled trilogy. I read the first three books of the Mistborn series by him and felt it was mediocre; I've mentioned it before - it felt very stiff to me - like someone that knew the technical aspects of writing (which I know he does) but without style.

Anyway, I saw The Reckoners on sale and so far (I'm about 1/3 of the way through the first book) I'm enjoying it much more. What's the story?
After the appearance of Calamity, a mysterious celestial force, ordinary humans began to exhibit superhuman powers. They became known as Epics and used their powers to control others. When David was eight years old, he witnessed his father's ruthless murder at the hand of Steelheart, one of the most powerful Epics in the world. Ten years later, David lives in Newcago (once Chicago) under the tyrannical rule of Steelheart and his inner circle of Epics. David has spent the last decade researching everything he can about Epics: their habits, their powers, and their weaknesses. He wants to join the Reckoners, a secretive group of humans dedicated to killing Epics, and convince them to take on Steelheart. However, even after all his study, David has not figured out the seemingly invincible Epic's weakness-without that knowledge, his plan for revenge cannot succeed. MacLeod Andrews's understated performance of the first-person narration is highly effective and makes the engaging action scenes stand out in contrast. He transitions easily among characters who vary in age, background, and status within the world of humans and Epics. Revelations in the climactic battle add layers and substance to the story, and listeners will look forward to more in future installments.—Amanda Raklovits, Champaign Public Library, IL
I'm not getting a YA vibe from it, though The Hunger Games fooled me for a while. Anyway, paired with the board game, I'm quite interested to see how the story unfolds.
I really like Sanderson and loved Mistborn. The Reckoners overall was good, but I thought Steelheart was the best. It is an interesting twist on the superhero story. A few people start getting random super powers of varying levels, but it also makes them evil and they start taking over the world. Sanderson's prose is ok, but his worldbuilding is wonderful.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Lovecraft County: A Novel is a $1.99 deal of the day:
The critically acclaimed cult novelist makes visceral the terrors of life in Jim Crow America and its lingering effects in this brilliant and wondrous work of the imagination that melds historical fiction, pulp noir, and Lovecraftian horror and fantasy.

Chicago, 1954. When his father Montrose goes missing, 22-year-old Army veteran Atticus Turner embarks on a road trip to New England to find him, accompanied by his Uncle George—publisher of The Safe Negro Travel Guide—and his childhood friend Letitia. On their journey to the manor of Mr. Braithwhite—heir to the estate that owned one of Atticus’s ancestors—they encounter both mundane terrors of white America and malevolent spirits that seem straight out of the weird tales George devours.

At the manor, Atticus discovers his father in chains, held prisoner by a secret cabal named the Order of the Ancient Dawn—led by Samuel Braithwhite and his son Caleb—which has gathered to orchestrate a ritual that shockingly centers on Atticus. And his one hope of salvation may be the seed of his—and the whole Turner clan’s—destruction.

A chimerical blend of magic, power, hope, and freedom that stretches across time, touching diverse members of two black families, Lovecraft Country is a devastating kaleidoscopic portrait of racism—the terrifying specter that continues to haunt us today.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:00 am Lovecraft County: A Novel is a $1.99 deal of the day:
The critically acclaimed cult novelist makes visceral the terrors of life in Jim Crow America and its lingering effects in this brilliant and wondrous work of the imagination that melds historical fiction, pulp noir, and Lovecraftian horror and fantasy.

Chicago, 1954. When his father Montrose goes missing, 22-year-old Army veteran Atticus Turner embarks on a road trip to New England to find him, accompanied by his Uncle George—publisher of The Safe Negro Travel Guide—and his childhood friend Letitia. On their journey to the manor of Mr. Braithwhite—heir to the estate that owned one of Atticus’s ancestors—they encounter both mundane terrors of white America and malevolent spirits that seem straight out of the weird tales George devours.

At the manor, Atticus discovers his father in chains, held prisoner by a secret cabal named the Order of the Ancient Dawn—led by Samuel Braithwhite and his son Caleb—which has gathered to orchestrate a ritual that shockingly centers on Atticus. And his one hope of salvation may be the seed of his—and the whole Turner clan’s—destruction.

A chimerical blend of magic, power, hope, and freedom that stretches across time, touching diverse members of two black families, Lovecraft Country is a devastating kaleidoscopic portrait of racism—the terrifying specter that continues to haunt us today.
I love this book and am eagerly waiting for the HBO show...
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:46 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:00 am Lovecraft County: A Novel is a $1.99 deal of the day:

HBO show???? WHAT!!!

The book is a fantastic collection of linked Lovecraftian stories in the innovative setting.

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:16 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:46 pm

HBO show???? WHAT!!!

The book is a fantastic collection of linked Lovecraftian stories in the innovative setting.
Yup!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovecraft ... TV_series)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I didn't realize it was going to be a show either. That's pretty cool.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sherlock Holmes and the Shadwell Shadows (The Cthulhu Casebooks Book 1) is a $0.99 book deal today:
It is the autumn of 1880, and Dr John Watson has just returned from Afghanistan. Badly injured and desperate to forget a nightmarish expedition that left him doubting his sanity, Watson is close to destitution when he meets the extraordinary Sherlock Holmes, who is investigating a series of deaths in the Shadwell district of London. Several bodies have been found, the victims appearing to have starved to death over the course of several weeks, and yet they were reported alive and well mere days before. Moreover, there are disturbing reports of creeping shadows that inspire dread in any who stray too close. Holmes deduces a connection between the deaths and a sinister drug lord who is seeking to expand his criminal empire. Yet both he and Watson are soon forced to accept that there are forces at work far more powerful than they could ever have imagined. Forces that can be summoned, if one is brave – or mad – enough to dare…
From scanning the reviews, it seems like fans of Lovecraft enjoy it more than fans of Holmes - which isn't really surprising.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

All three books of Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive can be purchased for $8.97 (or $2.99 each).

From reading around, there are 10 total books planned, with the first five and second five each having their own story arcs. These first three seem to be very highly regarded.
Expected by his enemies to die the miserable death of a military slave, Kaladin survived to be given command of the royal bodyguards, a controversial first for a low-status "darkeyes." Now he must protect the king and Dalinar from every common peril as well as the distinctly uncommon threat of the Assassin, all while secretly struggling to master remarkable new powers that are somehow linked to his honorspren, Syl.

The Assassin, Szeth, is active again, murdering rulers all over the world of Roshar, using his baffling powers to thwart every bodyguard and elude all pursuers. Among his prime targets is Highprince Dalinar, widely considered the power behind the Alethi throne. His leading role in the war would seem reason enough, but the Assassin's master has much deeper motives.

Brilliant but troubled Shallan strives along a parallel path. Despite being broken in ways she refuses to acknowledge, she bears a terrible burden: to somehow prevent the return of the legendary Voidbringers and the civilization-ending Desolation that will follow. The secrets she needs can be found at the Shattered Plains, but just arriving there proves more difficult than she could have imagined.

Meanwhile, at the heart of the Shattered Plains, the Parshendi are making an epochal decision. Hard pressed by years of Alethi attacks, their numbers ever shrinking, they are convinced by their war leader, Eshonai, to risk everything on a desperate gamble with the very supernatural forces they once fled. The possible consequences for Parshendi and humans alike, indeed, for Roshar itself, are as dangerous as they are incalculable.