WTB: Advanced Squad Leader (Boardgame)

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

SlyFrog

WTB: Advanced Squad Leader (Boardgame)

Post by SlyFrog »

It's a shot in the dark, but I've had some luck here before. I'm interested in buying (or trading for, if we have anything), an Advanced Squad Leader (2nd edition rulebook) collection. I'd be looking for Advanced Squad Leader 2nd edition rules, the Beyond Valor module at a minimum, and beyond that, would be interested in whatever else you have.

Just drop me a PM if you have something and are interested.
Kobra

Post by Kobra »

I'd like to add, you got damn good taste in games. :D
karapcik

Post by karapcik »

Oh rare, how rare that be...

How much of this stuff do you want? Like just the rule book and Beyond Valor? Because I have some merchandise to move. I'd like to get rid of most of my collection. This includes both edition rulebooks, mounted mapboards, modules, and some third party stuff. I also have some General mags that also deal with the game.

I want to EBay, but that is a pain in the ass. I'm not interested in Ebay prices, just fair and reasonable. I want this to go to someone who plays.
SlyFrog

Post by SlyFrog »

I am interested in whatever you have, dependent on price. I can't afford to spend a stupid sum on this, but I'm not going to offer you $20 or something similary stupid cheap either. It is definitely something that I am buying to play (shockingly, with my wife, who is apparently as insane as I am), but I just can't justify spending hundreds of dollars on a game right now (which is why I'm not buying it new). I'm just looking to find a nice sized collection that is reasonably complete (doesn't have to have every module and General ever printed or something) so I have a good base to play the game.

Send me a PM letting me know what you have and what you might want and we'll talk.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Tired of Space Hulk eh SF?

I sold my ASL several years ago on eBay good luck getting it though.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
SlyFrog

Post by SlyFrog »

Redfive wrote:Tired of Space Hulk eh SF?
Oh no! Just drawing the wife in deeper and deeper. I knew I loved Space Hulk because I played it all through high school (as I mentioned). I was a bit surprised at how strongly my wife took to it though; she absolutely loves it. It's really not nice to see your wife relish in ripping your little Space Marines apart. Keeps making, "ping, ping, ping," sounds as she moves the blips around.

Plus the kids get a great kick out of it too. The only problem is that I tend to treat games that we really like with a somewhat disturbing form of reverence. They're placed on high shelves where they can't be bumped or dropped, and I find myself embarassed that when I take them down to set them up I kind of hold them like a Bible in church.

ASL's a little different; I've read a bunch of the rules from time to time, understand the game, and have probably played games of somewhat similar complexity (Up Front, Magic Realm, etc.). But it's a big beast and we're interested in playing it. It seems like it is a game that can become a bit of a lifestyle, which seems like it has its pluses and minuses. I think it would be a particularly good game to have if you have a spouse who is willing to play (which I do) - a lot of the problem for monsters like that is just finding an opponent. I think the benefit of ASL, as I understand it, is that you can really focus on the game and have one game that you can play for a lifetime, which works if you have a built in opponent for a lifetime. :)
SlyFrog

Post by SlyFrog »

karapcik wrote:Oh rare, how rare that be...

How much of this stuff do you want? Like just the rule book and Beyond Valor? Because I have some merchandise to move. I'd like to get rid of most of my collection. This includes both edition rulebooks, mounted mapboards, modules, and some third party stuff. I also have some General mags that also deal with the game.

I want to EBay, but that is a pain in the ass. I'm not interested in Ebay prices, just fair and reasonable. I want this to go to someone who plays.
Sent you a PM; wondering if you are there.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

SlyFrog wrote:
Redfive wrote:Tired of Space Hulk eh SF?
Oh no! Just drawing the wife in deeper and deeper. I knew I loved Space Hulk because I played it all through high school (as I mentioned). I was a bit surprised at how strongly my wife took to it though; she absolutely loves it. It's really not nice to see your wife relish in ripping your little Space Marines apart. Keeps making, "ping, ping, ping," sounds as she moves the blips around.

Plus the kids get a great kick out of it too. The only problem is that I tend to treat games that we really like with a somewhat disturbing form of reverence. They're placed on high shelves where they can't be bumped or dropped, and I find myself embarassed that when I take them down to set them up I kind of hold them like a Bible in church.

ASL's a little different; I've read a bunch of the rules from time to time, understand the game, and have probably played games of somewhat similar complexity (Up Front, Magic Realm, etc.). But it's a big beast and we're interested in playing it. It seems like it is a game that can become a bit of a lifestyle, which seems like it has its pluses and minuses. I think it would be a particularly good game to have if you have a spouse who is willing to play (which I do) - a lot of the problem for monsters like that is just finding an opponent. I think the benefit of ASL, as I understand it, is that you can really focus on the game and have one game that you can play for a lifetime, which works if you have a built in opponent for a lifetime. :)
You're living the dream, you SlyFrog you, living the dream. I'm lucky if my GF plays poker - badly.

I think my father has ASL somewhere so I'm going to check it out.

(Spacehulk? Vengeance of the Blood Angels? Living the dream.)
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Dan_Theman

Post by Dan_Theman »

A name I haven't heard in eons. Wow - as stated above, you've got excellent taste (and I'm sorry, but my collection isn't for sale ;) )
Isgrimnur

Re: WTB: Advanced Squad Leader (Boardgame)

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wargame Vault - Electronic Advanced Squad Leader Rulebook
This Electronic Edition of the ASLRB (or eASLRB) was created from brand-new layouts of rules Chapters A-G incorporating all known errata (as of August 2020). It also includes the complete Chapter H; and Chapters J, K, W and associated charts; as well as a few useful appendices and a comprehensive index. In other words, all the core rules.

MMP plans to update older chapters and add additional chapters to the eASLRB in the future. Once added, these updates will be avaliable to all customers who have purchased this item.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I saw this advertised yesterday. I wish I could properly convey the enormity of what they've allowed here (electronic rules). It's a complete paradigm shift for grognards.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pages
That's whole lot more of ASL than I ever owned. I remember A-D, I couldn't tell you if I had E Misc. That's not a good description. I have to wonder what happened to the mass of these old games. I didn't get rid of them and yet I don't have them. It's a mystery. I still have my copy of Traveler, which we never actually played but ASL, gone. Star Frontiers, gone. I'd imagine it's a pretty long list of missing mystery games... Now that I'm thinking of it. Boot Hill, Top Secret. Gone. X Wing vs Tie fighter. Gone.
Last edited by LordMortis on Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wiki
Chapter E which contained "miscellaneous" rules for amphibious landings, night fighting, air support, weather, parachute drops, glider landings, boats, convoys, swimming, ammunition vehicles, and special barrage rules for OBA (Off Board Artillery). Unfortunately, for those not interested in US forces, Chapter E would have to be purchased separately by mail order if one wanted to simulate any of these aspects with any of the other nationalities (and many printed scenarios in future modules would in fact have ownership of Chapter E a prerequisite.)
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Nope. I did not have or ever play with E