Windows 10 partition copier

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zarathud

Windows 10 partition copier

Post by Zarathud »

Bought a new SSD to replace the old steam HDD after upgrading to Windows 10. What program should I use to copy over the file/partition?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kasey Chang

Re: Windows 10 partition copier

Post by Kasey Chang »

G-parted, but you need to create a boot USB stick first. https://gparted.org/liveusb.php
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Anonymous Bosch

Re: Windows 10 partition copier

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Rather than messing around with ‘freemium’ commercial software that typically omits important features by design, I'd suggest using a reliable FOSS alternative such as Clonezilla.

Keep in mind though, being FOSS means the UI will likely seem somewhat confusing and significantly less user-friendly than most ‘freemium’ commercial software. So I'd suggest watching the video below to familiarise yourself with how to properly use Clonezilla to clone and restore any system:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke