Non-intrusive alternatives to Chrome

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

Non-intrusive alternatives to Chrome

Post by Jaymann »

Apparently Chrome, Firefox, Google and gmail are completely compromised as far as tracking everything about you and keeping it forever. What are the most data secure alternatives?

If I never post here again you will know why. :shhh:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Re: Non-intrusive alternatives to Chrome

Post by hitbyambulance »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:20 pm Apparently Chrome, Firefox, Google and gmail are completely compromised as far as tracking everything about you and keeping it forever.

..um, why is Firefox in that list?

Chrome and Gmail are both Google, whom we all know is super tracking-happy. Firefox is Mozilla, which, as a company is very much opposed to tracking. https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2019/09/0 ... y-default/

... and in fact, Firefox is tied with Brave as the #1 best privacy browser: https://protonmail.com/blog/best-browser-for-privacy/

another article that has a different criteria for ranking, but Brave is still #1 (and Microsoft Edge is the worst) https://www.wired.com/story/study-ranks ... -findings/ from this article:
In a statement, Mozilla officials wrote:

Browsing history is only sent to Mozilla if a user turns on our Sync service, whose purpose is to share data across a user’s devices. Unlike other browsers, Sync data is end-to-end encrypted, so Mozilla cannot access it.
Firefox does collect some technical data about how users interact with our product, but that does not include the user's browsing history. This data is transmitted along with a unique randomly generated identifier. IP addresses are retained for a short period for security and fraud detection and then deleted. They are stripped from telemetry data and are not used to correlate user activity across browsing sessions.
As the study itself points out, “transmission of user data to backend servers is not intrinsically a privacy intrusion.” By limiting collection and retention of data and safeguarding the data users do share with us through encryption and anonymization, Firefox works to protect people’s privacy and provide a secure browsing experience. Clear and publicly available practices and processes reinforce our commitment to putting users’ needs first.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Welcome to the club. I suggest checking out the recommendations from PrivacyTools.io

Here are their Browser recommendations (and as hitbyambulance correctly observes, Firefox is at the top of the list).

And here are their recommendations for Private Email Providers.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Well I am on Firefox with DuckDuckGo, so hopefully I'm relatively OK. But I posted a video in R&P which asserted that Google was somehow glomming onto FF data. Maybe that was from searching with Google...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:51 pm Well I am on Firefox with DuckDuckGo, so hopefully I'm relatively OK. But I posted a video in R&P which asserted that Google was somehow glomming onto FF data. Maybe that was from searching with Google...
If you stick with privacy-friendly non-Google search engines and grab the recommended browser add-ons listed further down in the PrivacyTools.io Browser recommendations section, you'll be a whole lot more private than most.

Keep in mind, you can also find plenty of useful advice and resources for expelling Google from your life on the DeGoogle wiki courtesy of r/DeGoogle (e.g. I personally much prefer using an Invidious instance instead of Youtube; you can also install the Invidition add-on for Firefox to automatically convert any Youtube links to instead use an Invidious instance of your choice).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke