CPU, MB, RAM suggestions

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dobberhd

CPU, MB, RAM suggestions

Post by dobberhd »

I'm looking to upgrade two of my kids computers before Thanksgiving. The power supplies, video cards, and hard drives should be good, but I want to upgrade the mb, ram, and cpu to something more modern. (We've already replaced the ps, vc, and hd.)

We usually play Ark Survival, so it doesn't have to be high end, just reliable. What CPU/MB/Ram combo should I look for? A quick glance says maybe a Ryzen 3 or so, but I'm not up to date on CPUs. I'm hoping to do the upgrades for around $250 total for each computer.

Thanks for any advice.
gameoverman

Re: CPU, MB, RAM suggestions

Post by gameoverman »

Supplies of various CPUs are sporadic. Sometimes places like Newegg or Amazon have a bit of everything, sometimes not. For example, a Ryzen 3 3100 or 3300x can show up one day in stock and then not be seen again for weeks. The previous generation of Ryzen 3, like the 3400g, seem to be available more often.

For a kid's computer, and not anticipating playing the latest and most demanding games, I'd probably go with a Ryzen 3 if it has 4 cores/8 threads. I would not spend money on a new CPU that was only 4 cores/4 threads. I'd want DDR3000 or 3200, since you won't save much going with slower memory. I think two sticks of 4gb ram should be enough. On the motherboard a 450 or 550, depending on if you get an older generation Ryzen or the newer 3xxx series. I'd pick a motherboard with four ram slots if possible, this will allow for the addition of more ram on the off chance that someday you might want to do that.
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

Thanks for the response.

Right not I'm thinking:
Ryzen 3 3100
2x8gb ddr4 3200mhz RAM
Gigabyte B450M Motherboard

Amazon has the total price at $261
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

don't get the Ryzen CPUs with integrated graphics, since you have video cards already
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

If you plan to pair a 3100 with a 450 motherboad, make sure that motherboard will already have the bios updated to allow for the use of the newer Ryzen. That way you aren't stuck with a motherboard that needs you to update the bios but you have no way to do that since the new Ryzen won't work in it.
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

gameoverman wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:38 pm If you plan to pair a 3100 with a 450 motherboad, make sure that motherboard will already have the bios updated to allow for the use of the newer Ryzen. That way you aren't stuck with a motherboard that needs you to update the bios but you have no way to do that since the new Ryzen won't work in it.
Thanks. I noticed this when I was going through part-picker. I'll probably just go with one already updated. Not worth the hassle.