Stupid Power/Sleep PC Problem

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Stupid Power/Sleep PC Problem

Post by Holman »

So I've been using my home-built PC for a year, and everything is great. I haven't had a single technical issue with it since the first time I turned it on. Except one...

It won't go to sleep on its own. Even though I have it set in Windows to sleep after 45 minutes of inactivity (and the screen to go blank after half an hour), it never does so. I can leave it for three hours and come back to find it fully awake.

I can manually sleep it, but if I do so at night I'll always find it awake again at two or three in the morning, and it stays that way until I get out of bed. This happens every night.

I assume there's some BIOS setting or something I'm missing, but BIOS is a bit of a mystery to me. What should I look for?

Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS OC Video Card
LG 24MP59G-P 24-Inch Gaming Monitor with FreeSync (2017)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
stessier

Re: Stupid Power/Sleep PC Problem

Post by stessier »

I had a similar issue and found that my mouse and keyboard were keeping it awake. I'm not near it, but there is a setting that i had to check on each device to let it sleep.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

The following write-up from How to Geek walks you through it:

How to Prevent Your Computer From Waking Up Accidentally
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Holman

Post by Holman »

Thanks!

Will look into this.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

stessier wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:49 am I had a similar issue and found that my mouse and keyboard were keeping it awake. I'm not near it, but there is a setting that i had to check on each device to let it sleep.
same experience in recent times. the guide above is the best bet, but the non-technical way is to strategically unplug your USB peripherals. most recent culprit for me was a USB Bluetooth adapter
stessier

Post by stessier »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:11 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:49 am I had a similar issue and found that my mouse and keyboard were keeping it awake. I'm not near it, but there is a setting that i had to check on each device to let it sleep.
same experience in recent times. the guide above is the best bet, but the non-technical way is to strategically unplug your USB peripherals. most recent culprit for me was a USB Bluetooth adapter
Yeah, your guide pointed out the fix that I used but it also covers all the other possibilities as well, which is helpful.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Holman

Post by Holman »

Thanks again. Following those steps shows me that's not my hardware but something else that's waking my PC every night between midnight and one a.m.

The text is "Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Start' scheduled task that requested waking the computer."

I wonder what that is.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Holman wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:54 pm Thanks again. Following those steps shows me that's not my hardware but something else that's waking my PC every night between midnight and one a.m.

The text is "Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Start' scheduled task that requested waking the computer."

I wonder what that is.
Yeah, IIRC that's a problem courtesy of a Windows 10 update which causes it to remain awake with a wake hold from that particular task that doesn't get properly cleared.

This should resolve the problem though:

Go to Start -> Type: "cmd", right-click it and choose "Run as Administrator" -> On the cmd line, type the following and press enter:

Code: Select all

powercfg /requestsoverride SERVICE "Universal Orchestrator" EXECUTION
That instructs the OS to ignore wake holds from that service.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Holman

Post by Holman »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:41 pm
Holman wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:54 pm Thanks again. Following those steps shows me that's not my hardware but something else that's waking my PC every night between midnight and one a.m.

I wonder what that is.
Yeah, IIRC that's a problem courtesy of a Windows 10 update which causes it to remain awake with a wake hold from that particular task that doesn't get properly cleared.

This should resolve the problem though:

Go to Start -> Type: "cmd", right-click it and choose "Run as Administrator" -> On the cmd line, type the following and press enter:

Code: Select all

powercfg /requestsoverride SERVICE "Universal Orchestrator" EXECUTION
That instructs the OS to ignore wake holds from that service.
Thanks again! I'll give it a try.

Yesterday a storm swept through and we lost power for 18 hours, but I'll see tonight.