Need a new fan

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Need a new fan

Post by stessier »

I think one of my fans has a bearing going bad. Occasionally my incredibly quiet computer sounds like a rocket ship. I clean the fan and it gets better, but sometimes just restarting it does the same thing. The computer is 5 years old, so replacing a fan doesn't really upset me.

Anyway, I've never done this. The code on the current one says "EZF12025 High Quality DC Fan DC 12V 0.02A". The internet tells me this is a no longer made 120x120x25 fan. Is there a special one I should look for to make sure this remains a very quiet machine? Anything to stay away from? I see where it plugs into the motherboard - is that connection universal?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Re: Need a new fan

Post by Blackhawk »

On any halfway modern fan I've seen the connection is universal, or else comes with an adaptor. Any 120mm case fan should fit. Beyond that just look for a fan designed for a quiet system. Most of them will tell you that up front, and if it doesn't say 'silent' or 'quiet' or list the decibels, assume it is loud. Just make sure you check the reviews, especially if you get an off-brand fan. Generally Corsair, Rosewill, and Cooler Master are reliable, and I've heard good things about Noctua.

For specific recommendations, google 'best case fan 2020'.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Re: Need a new fan

Post by Kasey Chang »

stessier wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:12 am I think one of my fans has a bearing going bad. Occasionally my incredibly quiet computer sounds like a rocket ship. I clean the fan and it gets better, but sometimes just restarting it does the same thing. The computer is 5 years old, so replacing a fan doesn't really upset me.

Anyway, I've never done this. The code on the current one says "EZF12025 High Quality DC Fan DC 12V 0.02A". The internet tells me this is a no longer made 120x120x25 fan. Is there a special one I should look for to make sure this remains a very quiet machine? Anything to stay away from? I see where it plugs into the motherboard - is that connection universal?
if you don't mind the noise level, any 120mm fan should do

https://www.amazon.com/Strong-120x120x2 ... B07F8188Y5

Just pull the fan out and note the pin type. They're usually 2 pin or 3 pin. 2 pin is constant speed, and 3 pin is variable speed, I think. You can easily "change" the plug with a SIM removal tool or even a paper clip.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds