Windows 10 free upgrade still available for W 7 users.

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

UsulofDoom

Windows 10 free upgrade still available for W 7 users.

Post by UsulofDoom »

Just thought I would share what I did this weekend.

I have a Dell D630 that had windows 7 enterprise 32 bit on it for work use . It's used for email ,viewing 32 Gigs of PDFs and some apps. It only has a 120 G drive with 15 G left. I purchased a 1T drive from amazon for $60.
Since they stopped supporting movie maker they were allowing windows 7 user upgrade to windows 10 so they could use the Photo app in Windows 10.
I used the media creation tool down load but it would not work for W7 enterprise. I had an old Tower pc that I still had the windows 7 pro 64 bit CD with the product number key.
I installed the hd in the laptop then installed W7 64 bit on new HD . Entered the product key and then had it do all the updates . The below link was used to get the windows 10 media creation tool.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10
Windows 10 down loaded then started to install but wanted a W 10 key since the W 7 was not activated. So I cancelled then
ran the windows 7 activation .It came up genuine.
I tried again and it installed.
I now have W10 64 bit on my laptop but have to reload all my apps. :horse:

If you have non enterprise, you can still do this with out loosing your data .
Last edited by UsulofDoom on Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
jztemple2

Re: Windows 10 free upgrade still available for W 7 users.

Post by jztemple2 »

UsulofDoom wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:52 pm The below link was used to get the windows 10 media creation tool.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10
I used this tool a few months ago to update our two Win7 computers to Win10. Surprisingly not only was it relatively painless and I didn't lose any data, but it was free for both, which I'm assuming was due to having the Win7 originally installed by the vendors of the machine.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

pro enterprise
Pro and Enterprise are different. AFAIK, Enterprise never worked with the media creation tool (unless there was a spacial one for enterprise) Enterprise is usually associated with volume licensing and Software Assurance for... enterprises.

Media Creator still worked for Pro as of the earlier this year. I don't know if it still does since the 14th, being the "last day of support for 7". I'm sure I'll check and find out sooner or later.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

This still works as of last night. Thanks for the tip! :clap:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Worked on a second machine today as well! Thanks again! :dance: Kept all my data and important programs on both computers will no problems that I'm aware of so far. :wub:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

And still working, got my wife's old Win7 machine upgraded without issue. Well, other than a stupid mistake I made during the first attempt. It eventually got everything downloaded and then told me that MS Security Essentials wasn't compatible with Win10 and needed to be removed. There was a 'Confirm' button that I clicked thinking that I was confirming the fact that it could go ahead and remove it. :oops: It then said they were unable to tell if everything was ready and to try again... which meant downloading everything all over again and then realizing *I* needed to remove it before clicking 'Confirm'. :doh:

Left it chugging / rebooting away over night and all good this morning. And same here, no problems that I'm aware of. So far!
-mf
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

I was also able to use the same Win 7 key (that had already been used to upgrade for Win10) to install Win10 on the new machine.
persself

Post by persself »

Just completed my transition without issues. I had to disable Media Center and MS Security Essentials in the control panel of Windows 7,
then hit "confirm" button on the Win 10 installer, and was completed in a couple hours.
Girl Gamer Extraordinaire-less/Redskins Fan