Cloud storage options

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Cloud storage options

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm finally fed up with Dropbox. The tiny limits, the new device limits (which completely cripples it for me), and the interface redesign have taking it from a must-have to a chore and an inconvenience.

I need to replace it. I have access to Google Drive and an Amazon Prime (so Amazon Drive.)

I need to be able to:
~Have my phone automatically upload photos and videos
~Use my existing backup software (FreeFileSync) to sync folders on a schedule
~Store photos, videos, and other files (not just photos)
~Access it from Windows and Android
~Sync files so that I can access them when offline
~Not spend money
~Not install bloatware
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
The Meal

Re: Cloud storage options

Post by The Meal »

My constraints are different than your constraints and I'd end up more likely to use a NAS box or iCloud storage (or both). But let me turn to you as an expert -- would you recommend FreeFileSync software? The price appeals to me, and the software that is preloaded on my NAS box is utter crap.

Cheers.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

While Google Drive is certainly a viable alternative to DropBox, the notion of hosting files that provide a rich stream of personal data with a company whose business model is primarily based upon online advertising ought to give you pause.

I'd suggest checking out MEGA, Sync.com, and pCloud if you're looking for decent free cloud storage options that won't necessarily turn you and your files into the product they're selling. The first two both include end-to-end encryption, though pCloud charges extra for that (they are headquartered in Switzerland though, which has some of the the best privacy laws in the world).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The Meal wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:48 pm But let me turn to you as an expert -- would you recommend FreeFileSync software? The price appeals to me, and the software that is preloaded on my NAS box is utter crap.

Cheers.
I'm no expert. My systems run smoothly, but I'm like the gyro captain from Mad Max 2. Things run, but they're cobbled together with chewing gum and a baling wire, and probably shouldn't work at all. Nonetheless, every once in a while I bang on it with a wrench, it sends out a cloud of black smoke, and keeps going.

With that caveat, it serves my needs. I use it to back up to Dropbox, and to back up to an external drive. I can do it on demand, or I can schedule it via Task Scheduler. I can choose one-way backup, or I can sync to the newest file. I can pick and choose folders or individual files, back up from multiple locations, or to multiple locations. It serves my needs, and came highly recommended.

But remember, baling wire.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:16 pm I'd suggest checking out MEGA, Sync.com, and pCloud if you're looking for decent free cloud storage options that won't necessarily turn you and your files into the product they're selling. The first two both include end-to-end encryption, though pCloud charges extra for that (they are headquartered in Switzerland though, which has some of the the best privacy laws in the world).
I've used MEGA for years with no issues. I don't know if it supports automatic syncing but at least it seems to be pretty private. They make a point that if you lose your password you are out of luck as they don't keep that information. And the free account is 50 GB.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Thanks for the (not-so-unqualified) recommendation, BH! I also echo AB's privacy concerns, but at your price point you are going to have to make some trade offs. Good luck.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The Meal wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:50 pm Thanks for the (not-so-unqualified) recommendation, BH! I also echo AB's privacy concerns, but at your price point you are going to have to make some trade offs. Good luck.
I absolutely despise being a commodity, but as you said, at my price point there are trade offs. Between Google, Amazon, Microsoft, and Facebook, I figure that every nuance of my personality and interests is already well documented in a number of databases. I'm not sure what new information they could learn about me at this point! I take security seriously (SSN/passwords/usernames/etc), but semi-anonymous personality profiles, that cat's so far out of the bag that there isn't any going back.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Since Microsoft is pushing Onedrive to Windows 10 machines, why not use that?

Free account come with 5 GB. If you need Microsoft Office, you can subscribe to Office 365 Personal and get 1 TB Onedrive storage.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My shit is scattered across multiple online services, but my go-to these days has been OneDrive, but that’s mostly because I use it at work and support the mobile app for OneDrive, so it’s become my default.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire