Video Cards

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

naednek

Video Cards

Post by naednek »

So I've been holding out till Black Friday to get my last component for my new computer. I've been going back and forth with the Nvidia 2060 and 2070 Supers or the AMD 5700XTs.

I'm running my monitor at 2560 x 1440 and it supports Freesync 2 and I believe the Gsync as well.

I was set on the 2070 Super, but came across an article about ray tracing and the lack of games and the performance hit it comes with. 30% or more they claimed, depending on the game.

So that got me thinking, why spend that much money to have a hit on performance and go back with an AMD card.

But I need this to last me at least 5 years.

For those who have a Nvidia card that handles ray tracing... is it worth it? Does it make that big of a difference? I heard games like BF you don't notice as much because it's fast pace.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Victoria Raverna

Re: Video Cards

Post by Victoria Raverna »

If you need it to last at least 5 years then having the option for using ray tracing is better than not having that.

BUt If you plan to change graphic card in 2 years time, then it makes sense saving money and not getting RTX right now since there are not many games with ray tracing right now and the next generation of vga card will have better ray tracing performance.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I ended up getting this. I figured any black friday deals wouldn't involve the super series and if so it would be similar in price, and who knows if CODMW2 will be bundled then.

https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx ... 6814487452
naednek

Post by naednek »

man this card is nice. Think I fixed the stuttering issue with COD MW, that game is just beautiful. Borderlands 3 is now playable with a respectable FPS of 65. Was hitting in the low 30's with my old card.