HDMI Monitor Question

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lassr

HDMI Monitor Question

Post by Lassr »

So I bought a new Acer 75Mhz 27" gaming monitor and connected it via HDMI. When I boot my computer, it say "Input not supported" on the screen until Windows starts during the boot process. So my question, what if I wanted to get into the BIOS? Would I have to change the connection to a VGA cable since it appears HDMI is not supported until Windows kicks in?
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Re: HDMI Monitor Question

Post by Pyperkub »

Maybe update your BIOS?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:28 pm Maybe update your BIOS?
Thought about that. of course I'd have to hook up vga to get to the bios
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Have you tried to press the BIOS setup button during the boot up?

Can you see the BIOS? If not, try to turn off and back on or unplug the monitor's power cable and replug it.

See if that allow you to see the BIOS.

I have some newer monitors at my workplace that are too smart to function correctly during bootup because of the auto input detection and power saving feature. :(
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Some BIOS will NOT display boot info to HDMI if the internal screen is still connected.

https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/ar ... or.145196/
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:11 pm Have you tried to press the BIOS setup button during the boot up?

Can you see the BIOS? If not, try to turn off and back on or unplug the monitor's power cable and replug it.

I have some newer monitors at my workplace that are too smart to function correctly during bootup because of the auto input detection and power saving feature. :(
I haven't tried to get into the BIOS since I got this monitor. I thought about updating the BIOS and realized I had to see the BIOS to update it. So connecting a VGA and then updating the BIOS is something I may try eventually.
I'll try to boot into the BIOS today and just see what happens but I'm pretty sure my screen will stay black.

Oh and this is a desktop (Win 10) and not a laptop.

Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

When I got my 1050Ti, I was surprised it didn't have a VGA input, at least as a backup. It did have another input, but it was an odd one and nobody I asked knew what I needed. It looked like VGA, but had more pins with a bit of a cross pattern. I ended up just getting an HDMI cable and hooking it up that way and thankfully I didn't have any issues.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:48 pm When I got my 1050Ti, I was surprised it didn't have a VGA input, at least as a backup. It did have another input, but it was an odd one and nobody I asked knew what I needed. It looked like VGA, but had more pins with a bit of a cross pattern. I ended up just getting an HDMI cable and hooking it up that way and thankfully I didn't have any issues.
that's a DVI connection - http://www.onlinecmag.com/types-dvi-connectors-cables/

also, there's really no need for VGA connectors anymore on middle and high end video cards - introduced in 1987, and has been patched over many times to exceed its original 640x480 resoultion. not only does the modern iteration cap out at 2048x1536, it's also an analog connection (with quality loss resulting from digital->analog conversion) and modern video cards would rather make room for all the possible digital connections (DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort). my current monitor is VGA only, but i just use a DVI-to-VGA adapter (these came with video cards some years ago, or they're about $4 or less on eBay).

you'll see VGA connectors still on basic monitors, low-end video cards and workstation desktops
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:28 pm
Rumpy wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:48 pm When I got my 1050Ti, I was surprised it didn't have a VGA input, at least as a backup. It did have another input, but it was an odd one and nobody I asked knew what I needed. It looked like VGA, but had more pins with a bit of a cross pattern. I ended up just getting an HDMI cable and hooking it up that way and thankfully I didn't have any issues.
that's a DVI connection - http://www.onlinecmag.com/types-dvi-connectors-cables/

also, there's really no need for VGA connectors anymore on middle and high end video cards - introduced in 1987, and has been patched over many times to exceed its original 640x480 resoultion. not only does the modern iteration cap out at 2048x1536, it's also an analog connection (with quality loss resulting from digital->analog conversion) and modern video cards would rather make room for all the possible digital connections (DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort). my current monitor is VGA only, but i just use a DVI-to-VGA adapter (these came with video cards some years ago, or they're about $4 or less on eBay).

you'll see VGA connectors still on basic monitors, low-end video cards and workstation desktops
Yeah, actually what I was using before was DVI, but this still was an uncommon version that did not fit any DVI plug I know. I wasn't able to use DVI even though my monitor supported DVI. I just found that really odd. And I wasn't able to find any adapter that would work.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:36 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:28 pm

Yeah, actually what I was using before was DVI, but this still was an uncommon version that did not fit any DVI plug I know. I wasn't able to use DVI even though my monitor supported DVI. I just found that really odd. And I wasn't able to find any adapter that would work.
??
post photo, if you can
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

There are multiple pin sets for DVI, there is a good image here:

https://www.displayninja.com/dvi-i-vs-dvi-d/
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

IIRC, DVI plugs should be all the same. DVI plug do come in different versions 5 versions: DVI-A (analog), DVI-D digital, and DVI-I integrated. The D and I versions are further divided into 2 versions, single vs. double monitor that can be "daisy-chain" to another monitor. (DVI single link vs DVI dual link.

http://www.onlinecmag.com/types-dvi-connectors-cables/
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

apparently no one looks at previously posted links
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:38 pm apparently no one looks at previously posted links
TL/DR? :D

Truth is too many options. DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI, VGA... not to mention HDMI and DisplayPort have "mini" versions...
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Hah, I have dual monitors, one on DVI and one on HDMI.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Yeah, I'm happy that my RTX2070 has THREE display ports (and HDMI port) but dual 24 inch on my desk is pretty tacky already. :D
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:16 pm There are multiple pin sets for DVI, there is a good image here:

https://www.displayninja.com/dvi-i-vs-dvi-d/
Thanks for the link! It's the multiple versions that really threw me off. I had been previously using DVI-I from the looks of it. The DVI version on the new card is apparently DVI-D. Why would this be the case? Would different DVI versions be used by cards sold in different markets? No wonder I was confused!
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:38 pm apparently no one looks at previously posted links
:oops:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Lassr wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:36 am
Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:11 pm Have you tried to press the BIOS setup button during the boot up?

I haven't tried to get into the BIOS since I got this monitor. I thought about updating the BIOS and realized I had to see the BIOS to update it. So connecting a VGA and then updating the BIOS is something I may try eventually.
I'll try to boot into the BIOS today and just see what happens but I'm pretty sure my screen will stay black.

Oh and this is a desktop (Win 10) and not a laptop.
As I expected, booting into BIOS just leaves a blank screen that says input not supported. I have to turn the computer off and reboot. As soon as you hear the window sound during boot the monitor turns on. So it may take a bios update maybe...something I don't feel like tackling at the moment since it's not an issue until I HAVE to get into the BIOS. Then I could just use a VGA cable.

Black Lives Matter