Monitor keeps blinking out

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Monitor keeps blinking out

Post by Skinypupy »

My monitor just goes black for about 5 seconds then comes back on. Happens very occasionally (every 20-30 minutes) and only when I'm doing non-gaming stuff on the PC (web surfing, working in Word or Outlook, etc.). Hasn't happened when playing a game yet. I've updated my video driver this morning, but it happened right after so I don't think that's it.

If it happened consistently, I'd just assume the monitor was on the fritz. But it only happens when I'm not in a game, which is odd.

I'm stumped, tbh...not really sure even where to start troubleshooting.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Anonymous Bosch

Re: Monitor keeps blinking out

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I'd suggest replacing your display cable.

In terms of proper diagnostics and troubleshooting, you want to replace digital signal cables first and foremost unless you have a specific reason to suspect something else. DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort and other high symbol rate digital cables are very particular about their conductor integrity and the most common fault mode is intermittent drop-outs. The signal drops, so the transmitter and receiver have to re-handshake. You lose a few seconds of display. Longer, cheaper brands of cable tend to be more prone to failure. So a decent replacement should hopefully rectify your problem.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cable....agree.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

You might experience a capacitor on it's way out. If so, it's a rather easy repair if you know how to solder, i've done it a couple of times myself. Why it doesn't happen whilst gaming makes no sense in that case, tho. (Link to that common problem, it still exists.)
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Yeah, but aren't monitor capacitors pretty large and capable of serious shock if not handled properly? Or was that only in the CRT era?

I had an LCD screen that did that. It was a REALLY old 4:3 19 inch (and really low-res) one I kept around (it's way more than 5 years old) so I just replaced it with my spare 16:9 20 inch I bought off Craigslist a while back. Not really worth my time trying to fix it.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

Nowadays they are an inch or less. If they read 120V they might bite you, 25V not so much. Discharge them with a resistor of say 10kOhm for a few seconds and you are safe. I hate techno-waste, but if you plan an upgrade anyways then it might not be worth looking into.
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

"Well honey did you get that monitor fixed?"

"No but my hair is straight and I glow in the dark now"
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:44 am It was a REALLY old 4:3 19 inch (and really low-res) one I kept around (it's way more than 5 years old)
:lol: My monitor is 15-ish years old and still going strong. It's on its third PC. As long as it keeps making pictures, I'll keep using it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Thanks all. I'll get a replacement cord this weekend and see if that fixes it.

I'm probably due for a monitor upgrade anyways.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

If it doesn't happen during gaming then the issue is likely to be with the GPU card or the driver.

My guess is that it is a power saving issue. If it is a NVIDIA card, go to the control panel->Manage 3D settings->Power Management Mode and try change it to Max performance. See if that fix the problem.