Mouse freezing problem

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Grifman

Mouse freezing problem

Post by Grifman »

Ok, recently my mouse, a Logitech USB wireless mouse has been locking up, freezing and crashing my PC. After researching, looks like I need to update my drivers. So I downloaded the files and attempted to update the driver. However, in Windows, the mouse is not shown as a Logitech mouse, it is listed as as "HID Compliant Mouse". The current drivers also appear to be just vanilla MS mouse drivers. When I tell Windows to update the drivers with the Logitech drivers, it says that Windows has determined the best driver is already installed and it won't let me go any further.

So how can I get Windows to realize that I am using a Logitech mouse so I can update the Logitech drivers? Why isn't Windows recognizing that my mouse is a Logitech mouse? It needs to do that before I update the drivers. Can anyone help? Thanks.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Isgrimnur

Re: Mouse freezing problem

Post by Isgrimnur »

Download the Logitech software with plenty of "features" and see if that changes anything.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

In the package from Logitech, did you get a folder to unpack or just an installer?

If you got a package of files you extracted, when you're looking at the Device Manager you should be able to right click on it and update driver. Windows should ask you if you want to check online or browse the computer. Browse to the folder the files unpacked from. It should show one of those files as an option to use.

If it was an installer, the installer should want to discover the mouse itself.
Last edited by Paingod on Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's been years since Windows has recognized my mice as anything but generic "HID compliant" or "Unknown device". Haven't had any issues with several wireless Logitechs (at work) and wireless generics at home.

The only thing I can think of is to uninstall the HID driver and try the Logitech one or reinstall HID. Having a wired mouse available as a backup would he handy in case you run into issues.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im using a Logitech mouse and never use software for it. Could be the mouse itself. Id test with another mouse if possible.

I gotta say I thought I was in the 'EBG' area when I saw mouse freezing and I thought "Poor little thing".
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I use a Logitech, but it has 'features' so I use the software. I will say this - if you go with the software, use the Logitech Gaming Software rather than G-Hub if it is at all possible. It's stable and solid. G-Hub is not.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Paingod wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:32 am In the package from Logitech, did you get a folder to unpack or just an installer?

If you got a package of files you extracted, when you're looking at the Device Manager you should be able to right click on it and update driver. Windows should ask you if you want to check online or browse the computer. Browse to the folder the files unpacked from. It should show one of those files as an option to use.

If it was an installer, the installer should want to discover the mouse itself.
That's the problem, I did what you said above. I downloaded the driver files, went to Device Manager, right clicked and said I wanted to update the driver, and browsed to the folder where the driver is installed, but when I tried to install it, as I said, Windows said that I already had the best driver (a MS mouse driver) installed and it would not let me install the Logictech driver.

That's the problem. Windows does not recognize the mouse (it's a USB version) as a Logictech device. It thinks it's just some sort of generic mouse (HID-Compliant) so when I try to install the Logictech driver, it won't let me.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

What about forcing an uninstall of the existing drivers first?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This guide may help. If it starts at the top of the page then just scroll down to where it states best driver installed and how to manually override that.

https://windowsreport.com/the-best-driv ... indows-10/
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

gilraen wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:21 pm What about forcing an uninstall of the existing drivers first?
I uninstalled the mouse and shut down the PC. I put the USB device into the port, restarted the PC. When I looked at device manager, the mouse was again listed as the "HID-compliant mouse" using MS drivers. It still doesn't read the mouse as a Logitech mouse.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:05 pm I use a Logitech, but it has 'features' so I use the software. I will say this - if you go with the software, use the Logitech Gaming Software rather than G-Hub if it is at all possible. It's stable and solid. G-Hub is not.
LGS doesn't recognize my mouse as being a Logitech mouse because it doesn't show up in Windows as a Logitech mouse, so no go there.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I have a wired mouse and that is working fine, no crashes at all so I do believe it is a driver problem for the Logitech mouse.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I don't know if it matters that Device Manager displays your mouse as "HID-compliant" instead of Logitech. I have a Logitech mouse too, on this laptop that I'm currently typing on - I checked, and mine also shows the mouse as "HID-compliant". I don't have any issues with it. It may not be the driver itself but a conflict between the mouse driver and something else.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

gilraen wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:50 pm I don't know if it matters that Device Manager displays your mouse as "HID-compliant" instead of Logitech. I have a Logitech mouse too, on this laptop that I'm currently typing on - I checked, and mine also shows the mouse as "HID-compliant". I don't have any issues with it. It may not be the driver itself but a conflict between the mouse driver and something else.
What driver is your PC using for you Logitech mouse? Generic MS driver or Logictech driver?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Actually, now that you mention it... my Logitech is also listed in Windows as 'HID-compliant mouse.' It still has all of the relevant Logitech features via the Logitech Gaming Software (lighting, sensitivity, DPI, programmable thumb buttons, etc.)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Grifman wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:24 pm
gilraen wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:50 pm I don't know if it matters that Device Manager displays your mouse as "HID-compliant" instead of Logitech. I have a Logitech mouse too, on this laptop that I'm currently typing on - I checked, and mine also shows the mouse as "HID-compliant". I don't have any issues with it. It may not be the driver itself but a conflict between the mouse driver and something else.
What driver is your PC using for you Logitech mouse? Generic MS driver or Logictech driver?
I don't have any Logictech drivers or software installed - this is my work laptop, I plugged in the mouse and just let it do install the default MS driver. It's showing driver version 10.0.17763.1
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Same here. All same.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:13 pm Actually, now that you mention it... my Logitech is also listed in Windows as 'HID-compliant mouse.' It still has all of the relevant Logitech features via the Logitech Gaming Software (lighting, sensitivity, DPI, programmable thumb buttons, etc.)
Is it using MS drivers or Logitech drivers?

And where do you see those options in LGS? I don't see anywhere to control those feature in LGS for me.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Grifman wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:07 pm And where do you see those options in LGS? I don't see anywhere to control those feature in LGS for me.
I just click the mouse picture at the bottom.
Grifman wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:07 pm Is it using MS drivers or Logitech drivers?
Both... I think. When I sort Device Manager by container, it shows that it is using both an HID-complaint mouse under 'Mice and other pointing devices' (MS driver) and a Logitech Gaming Virtual Mouse (Logitech driver) under 'Human Interface Devices.'
Last edited by Blackhawk on Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:11 am Image
Thanks, that is helpful. But my mouse is not showing up on LGS as yours is. I think that is the problem, the mouse is not being recognized as Logitech, there for LGS is not picking it up.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:08 am
Grifman wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:07 pm And where do you see those options in LGS? I don't see anywhere to control those feature in LGS for me.
I just click the mouse picture at the bottom.
Grifman wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:07 pm Is it using MS drivers or Logitech drivers?
Both... I think. When I sort Device Manager by container, it shows that it is using both an HID-complaint mouse under 'Mice and other pointing devices' (MS driver) and a Logitech Gaming Virtual Mouse (Logitech driver) under 'Human Interface Devices.'
Ok, that is very helpful. I do have the same thing that you do, both the MS mouse and Logitech mouse under HID (had no idea to look there). So it is using Logitech drivers. That is good and bad - it is using the drivers, but I can't use that to explain my mouse freezes. Back to the drawing board. Thanks!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Grifman wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:00 amI can't use that to explain my mouse freezes.
My mouse sometimes freezes or glitches if there's lint or hair in the optical sensor. It's going to sound dumb, but have you checked to make sure it's clean?
Black Lives Matter

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Your mouse is not one of those using Logitech's Unifying technology, is it? There was a security hole that had to be patched up recently and afterwards people have complained of problems with their Unifying devices, one such problem being not being detected properly.

https://lifehacker.com/update-your-logi ... 1836382167
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Paingod wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:00 am
Grifman wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:00 amI can't use that to explain my mouse freezes.
My mouse sometimes freezes or glitches if there's lint or hair in the optical sensor. It's going to sound dumb, but have you checked to make sure it's clean?
I've checked bu it just doesn't freeze, it crashes my PC with the BOD. I get an error message saying "Clock Watchdog Timeout.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

At this point I have to ask - have you contacted Logitech?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:05 pm At this point I have to ask - have you contacted Logitech?
No, and this evening my regular MS wired mouse did the same thing, so I now know it's not my Logitech mouse :(

That said, in reading up on this, it's a pretty complicated problem because it can be almost anything - outdated drivers, anti virus software, other "incompatible software", memory problems, the list goes on and on. Based upon when I seem to remember this starting to happen, I made a guess and made a change. I'll report back if that change works. We'll see.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

At this point I've done about all I can do:

1) Found all old drivers and updated them
2) Uninstalled antivirus and checked if that was the problem (it wasn't)
3) Ran a system scan and found no Windows corruption
4) Ran Memtest and found no memory errors

The only other thing I've seen suggested is looking at the bios but I am going to wait on that. For now, I'll wait and see what happens.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Another basic thing to try - a different USB port? If the port is going south, changing to a different one might make a difference.
Black Lives Matter

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Well, thought I'd report back. All of those changes did seem to help, but not completely stop the issue. I've had one lockup of this type in about 3 days, which is much improved over the 3 times a day lockups I was seeing previously. Unfortunately, I've done all the "easy" things there are to do. What's left are very involved and time consuming things that may or may not fix the problem. At this point, I think I'm done, I can live with a lockup every few days or so.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Josebaker wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:41 pm I made a fresh install of Windows 10 Version 1809 (OS build 17763.134) & installed drivers using DRP and Driver Easy. The problem is that I'm facing mouse lag in which the mouse lags heavily for 3-4 seconds and then gets back to normal. This happens multiple times each day! It was never like this before no matter how RAM and processor-intensive tasks I used to carry out on this same machine. Any help?
in ye olden days i would have said that sounds like an IRQ issue, but now i would think there is some process whamming on the CPU every now and again - does anything else slow down during these times
Caluses

Post by Caluses »

Josebaker wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:41 pm I made a fresh install of Windows 10 Version 1809 (OS build 17763.134) & installed drivers using DRP and Driver Easy. The problem is that I'm facing mouse lag in which the mouse lags heavily for 3-4 seconds and then gets back to normal. This happens multiple times each day! It was never like this before no matter how RAM and processor-intensive tasks I used to carry out on this same machine. Any help?
Is your mouse Bluetooth? Make sure the connection is strong. If it gets weaker at any point, your mouse will start lagging. I've also found that Windows kind of "pushes aside" all Bluetooth devices when there is very heavy load on the system, so that might cause your mouse to lag too. If that doesn't help you can check this guide which can solve your issue.
Last edited by Caluses on Tue May 11, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

t really could be a lot of things. You get to play 'process of elimination.'

First off, what mouse?

Second, stop using automated driver services. They're generally worthless, and sometimes do more harm than good.

Go to your mouse's manufacturer's website and download the drivers/software manually. Uninstall the current drivers/software, and reinstall it from the downloaded versions (and do this with everything else when you get the chance - it'll save headaches.)

Try a different port. Check to see if it needs a particular type of port (say, USB 3) and make sure it's getting it.

Try a port on your motherboard if you're using a hub, and vice-versa.

Change the batteries if you can.

Update your BIOS.

Check for firmware updates.

IIf it's wireless, move the receiver so that it's closer and the signal isn't passing through other electronics. Likewise make sure the cord isn't winding through and around other electronics, including speakers, monitors, etc. Make sure the receiver itself isn't near other electronics.

Next, get yourself a performance log, something that records CPU/RAM/GPU usage/etc every few seconds. Note the exact times you get mouse lag and see if anything in the log lines up with it.

Check settings. What about polling rate/frequency? Try a different setting and see if that helps.

Try a different mousing surface. Try an 'ideal' one (perfectly flat, visible texture, no reflectivity, etc.)

Consider turning off power management on the USB hub (can affect how long you can use a laptop on battery power - do your research.)

Try it with every other USB device possible turned off.*

Try disabling every non-essential program.*

Try it with a different mouse.*

*These last three may not be the solution, and are not intended as permanent, but they're an important part of troubleshooting.

And likely not it, but how much power is your system receiving? Do you have a good power supply?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FWIW, that's a long list. I tried to pack the most common causes near the beginning and with luck you won't have to go through it all.

The important thing is that, other than the software/hardware updates, do them one at a time. Check one thing (say, different port), then if it happens put it back in the original and try a different mouse pad. If it still happens go back to your original mouse pad and try another thing. The idea is to narrow down what is and is not affecting it.

I was having a problem for a while with my mouse. It would stop tracking for a second now and then. I fiddled with it for a while, eliminated software possibilities, eliminated ports, then found... a piece of rubber had slipped under my thin mouse pad that was creating a 'bump.' Every time my mouse would go over the bump, it would lift it just enough to mess up the tracking.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

If you see the FMAPP process in Windows Task Manager, the following fix courtesy of a TenForums.com poster can help:
daniels7 wrote:I found the issue!
It was related to a Realtek Program named FMAPP.exe.

Stopping it in Task Manager and excluding it from starting at Boot solved my issue and it leads to no Sound issues or similar things, so it's no problem to exclude it from boot.

I had no issue since 2-3 days now, so that seemed to be it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Caluses wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:49 pm
Is your mouse Bluetooth? Make sure the connection is strong. If it gets weaker at any point, your mouse will start lagging. I've also found that Windows kind of "pushes aside" all Bluetooth devices when there is very heavy load on the system, so that might cause your mouse to lag too.
Bots?
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Damnit! I thought I had *finally* found an informative thread about mouse cozy's!
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Heating USB Mouse Pad with Timg Switch-Heated Hand Warmer Mouse Mat with Temperature Adjustment Switch

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YYZXLSR/re ... UTF8&psc=1

Enlarge Image
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not seeing it or buying it no matter how many tags you add.