Firefox just trashed adblock (and all my add-ons)

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Dave Allen

Firefox just trashed adblock (and all my add-ons)

Post by Dave Allen »

Firefox has screwed up big time. It has happened to most (if not all) users. The most angry are those who use password manager extensions. Oooops. :evil:
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Anonymous Bosch

Re: Firefox just trashed adblock (and all my add-ons)

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Disabling signature checks did the trick for me:
What are my options if I want to install unsigned extensions in Firefox?

The Nightly and Developer Edition versions of Firefox have a preference to disable signature enforcement. There are also be special unbranded versions of Release and Beta that have this preference, so that add-on developers can work on their add-ons without having to sign every build. To disable signature checks, you will need to set the xpinstall.signatures.required preference to "false".
  • type about:config into the URL bar in Firefox
  • in the Search box type xpinstall.signatures.required
  • double-click the preference, or right-click and selected "Toggle", to set it to false.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 2:59 am Disabling signature checks did the trick for me:
What are my options if I want to install unsigned extensions in Firefox?

The Nightly and Developer Edition versions of Firefox have a preference to disable signature enforcement. There are also be special unbranded versions of Release and Beta that have this preference, so that add-on developers can work on their add-ons without having to sign every build. To disable signature checks, you will need to set the xpinstall.signatures.required preference to "false".
  • type about:config into the URL bar in Firefox
  • in the Search box type xpinstall.signatures.required
  • double-click the preference, or right-click and selected "Toggle", to set it to false.
I tried that first, and it didn't work for me.
Then I found a way to "temporarily" restore an add-on, but if I restart Firefox, I have to go through this entire process again:

1) Navigate to about:debugging
2) Click the ‘Load Temporary Add-on’ button
3) Navigate to the .xpi file in your profile directory select it and click Open.

To find your profile directory and extensions:

Windows:
C:\Users\{your username}\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\{profile id}.default\extensions
Linux:
~/.mozilla/firefox/{profile id}.default/extensions/
MacOS:
~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/{profile id}.default/extensions
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Gateguard

Post by Gateguard »

This Mozilla Blog post may be of some addition help.

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/05 ... n-firefox/
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I only use two add-ons, WoT and NoScript, and those work fine. Maybe it's just because they'd been updated in time.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

People on Blizzard/World of Warcraft forums started talking about it yesterday. So I've been keeping an eye on it, but for whatever reason, my Firefox isn't having any issues with addons. I'm running AdBlock Plus and uBlock Origin, and they are both still operational.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I lost all of mine on one computer last night - but the others were fine.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I lost my theme setting on the one PC on which I use Firefox and I had to tinker to get it back, but otherwise it seems fine. Very odd.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Huh, and ironically it just did it for me as I was reading the linked bug report.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

For those who'd prefer to install Mozilla's semi-official fix WITHOUT enabling Shield Studies, you can install it manually using the posted link here.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Huh. I haven't noticed anything, but I have very few installed. I'll pay attention.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

I manually checked for on update to Firefox today and downloaded the latest (66.0.4). It restored all my addons to working condition again without having to re-install any of them.
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yup.
Firefox 66.0.4 patch notes wrote:Repaired certificate chain to re-enable web extensions that had been disabled
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I didn't have any problems with my add-ons. When I opened Help/About to see if I had the "bad" version of FF, it immediately downloaded an update. Just lucky, I guess.