Aghast at Avast

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Dave Allen

Aghast at Avast

Post by Dave Allen »

My SSD drive's space was dropping at a rate of 1gb a day.
Avast had created 10k+ of temp files in Appdata/Local/Temp when I finally figured it out.
If anyone else has this going on - go to the temp folder, search for prb*.tmp and delete them all.
Got about 15gb of storage back. Space, the final frontier! :geek:
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
jztemple2

Re: Aghast at Avast

Post by jztemple2 »

Good gosh, do you know why it is doing it?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

In their forum it looks like a problem with the current build.
Lately I've also been getting pop-ups saying my license is about to expire in X days.
Maybe I should switch to a free version of something else? Suggestions?
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm using Malwarebytes based upon recommendations from this forum. I did the trial and switched to Premium. So far I have no reason to complain.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

The free version of Bitdefender Antivirus provides solid protection with a simple and unobtrusive interface. In terms of free antivirus products, I think it's preferable to the bloaty features of Avast.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:55 am The free version of Bitdefender Antivirus provides solid protection with a simple and unobtrusive interface. In terms of free antivirus products, I think it's preferable to the bloaty features of Avast.
Bitdefender Free looks like what I once expected from Avast. I'll give it a try.
FYI, Bitdefender also has individualized removal tools for all their competitors here.

Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I installed Bitdefender and did a system scan. It found a file that was password-protected and asked me to enter a password or skip it.

The interesting thing is that the folder the password-protected file is in does NOT appear at all in Windows Explorer.
I'm pretty familiar with how to change the files & folders options, and I'd swear the folder doesn't exist.

A Windows search comes up with nada. And yet if I create a folder with the same name (in this case "#ignore") it asks me if I want to replace this folder with the current one. No matter what I choose, a folder named "#ignore" never appears.

???

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I've uninstalled Avast as my Comodo Firewall is also an antivirus (Technically, it's Comodo Internet Security), and personal license is free (they obviously want you to buy the pro version which has extra perks)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Dave Allen wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:49 pm I installed Bitdefender and did a system scan. It found a file that was password-protected and asked me to enter a password or skip it.

The interesting thing is that the folder the password-protected file is in does NOT appear at all in Windows Explorer.
I'm pretty familiar with how to change the files & folders options, and I'd swear the folder doesn't exist.

A Windows search comes up with nada. And yet if I create a folder with the same name (in this case "#ignore") it asks me if I want to replace this folder with the current one. No matter what I choose, a folder named "#ignore" never appears.

???
Apparently this #ignore thing existed back in Win7, and repeated reports of it ever since.

https://superuser.com/questions/538604/ ... re-folder
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Bitdefender bothers me a whole lot less than Avast - except for one issue:

Bitdefender blocks just about every website I regularly go to, and I don't see any way to disable this specific feature in my free edition. :(

Anonymous Bosch

Dave Allen wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:00 pm Bitdefender bothers me a whole lot less than Avast - except for one issue:

Bitdefender blocks just about every website I regularly go to, and I don't see any way to disable this specific feature in my free edition. :(
Try following these instructions for disabling SSL scanning in Bitdefender (scroll down for instructions on the 2019 version if that's what you're using). Doing so should prevent Bitdefender's overprotective website-blocking.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Had a similar issue with NOD32 awhile ago with the SSL scanning. I think this was around the time Google was forcing websites to switch to https, which I think threw these scanners off. Disabling it did the trick, though I think they eventually got it fixed.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:00 pm
Try following these instructions for disabling SSL scanning in Bitdefender (scroll down for instructions on the 2019 version if that's what you're using). Doing so should prevent Bitdefender's overprotective website-blocking.
These instructions are for the paid versions. The free version is a different animal entirely. There are no settings other than the shield on/off switch and a site-by-site exclusion list I can add to - what a pita. :(

Anonymous Bosch

Dave Allen wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:13 am
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:00 pm
These instructions are for the paid versions. The free version is a different animal entirely. There are no settings other than the shield on/off switch and a site-by-site exclusion list I can add to - what a pita. :(
Wow, that sucks.

Alas, it seems makers of free antivirus software are increasingly going out of their way to annoy users into 'upgrading' to a functional paid product (be it through ads, or the omission of basic controls and features). Because I'm fairly sure the free version of Bitdefender antivirus previously did allow users to disable SSL scanning.

FWIW, Leo Laporte has suggested avoiding usage of third-party AV software altogether for quite some time, so it's worth considering his advice.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's what I've been doing for years. I've given up on too many antiviruses because they interfered with gaming too much, whether performance wise, deleting files, locking files, etc. Windows AV hasn't caused me any issues, and I don't engage in 'risky' behaviors to begin with.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:10 pm FWIW, Leo Laporte has suggested avoiding usage of third-party AV software altogether for quite some time, so it's worth considering his advice.
That was fun and informative. In fact it tipped the scale for me. Leo convinced me to leave my Win 7 (and I loved her :wub: ) for Windows 10. And finally putting the AV issue to rest is a real perk.

morlac

Post by morlac »

I keep a copy of the free malware malbytes around for the occasional time I need to run it to fix something Windows defender can't. This is mostly for PC's I help maintain besides mine....Uncle and nephew I'm looking at you two! Even that is once a year at most nowadays.

Every paid or other free one I've messed with is a bloaty mess praying on fear and stupidity. Free windows defender and more importantly smart usage are the best defense.
chrispeddler

Post by chrispeddler »

Also happened to me. It's possible malware. I've uninstalled Avast and used MS Security Essential as replacement.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Dave Allen wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:54 am
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:10 pm FWIW, Leo Laporte has suggested avoiding usage of third-party AV software altogether for quite some time, so it's worth considering his advice.
That was fun and informative. In fact it tipped the scale for me. Leo convinced me to leave my Win 7 (and I loved her :wub: ) for Windows 10. And finally putting the AV issue to rest is a real perk.
Yeah, I think I ditched Avast for Defender not too long after seeing that video (and reading a few follow-up articles).

I felt like Avast was spending more of its time advertising other products/services to me than actually protecting my PC.
Conform or be cast out!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I now use the default anit-virus in Windows 10, so nice not to be bugged constantly to upgrade.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

More reasons to be aghast at Avast.
They show that the Avast antivirus program installed on a person's computer collects data, and that Jumpshot repackages it into various different products that are then sold to many of the largest companies in the world.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That's sad. Avast was a good product in its day. For me, that day ended when it turned into nagware a few years ago.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:09 pm That's sad. Avast was a good product in its day. For me, that day ended when it turned into nagware a few years ago.
Same here. I uninstalled it a year or so ago (after using it for a long time) and just use the MS Defender SW now.
Conform or be cast out!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hrdina wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:25 pm
Kraken wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:09 pm That's sad. Avast was a good product in its day. For me, that day ended when it turned into nagware a few years ago.
Same here. I uninstalled it a year or so ago (after using it for a long time) and just use the MS Defender SW now.
A lot of brands follow that arc. McAfee and Norton used to be names I trusted.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I gave up Avast for the same reason. It got more and more pushy as time went on until the 'free' version was almost as bad as having a virus. I switched to ESET paid for a year. It was really, really good. It was too good, and frequently threw up false positives or directly interfered with legitimate software, plus it took up resources. When it came time to renew I just went with plain old Microsoft Security Essentials. I'm careful anyway, I'm picky about what I download and run, I use script blockers and ad blockers. MSSE is more than enough AV for my needs, and I haven't had any slowdowns or false positives (or viruses) in years.