General Computing Randomness

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: General Computing Randomness

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:46 pm I guess this is one clear advantage of USB!
It was one of the biggest selling points for USB when it was new.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That'd certainly make sense, and I guess I'd gotten so used to the plug-n-play nature of usb that it never occurred to me that PS/2 wasn't working the same way.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I found my coil of 2 meter "bias lighting" LED strip I bought a long time ago, and I decided to install it behind my twin monitors, but I used poster-mounting double-sided tape bits, not the semi-permanent 3M adhesive baked into the strip as I wasn't very sure about the mounting yet. it helps a bit, just not sure how much yet.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Does anyone here use a small keyboard for the desktop? I mean like one of those 60% keyboards. How does that small size feel? I'm using a full size right now but I want something smaller. I'm undecided if I should just lose the number pad, which I don't need, or get something REALLY small. Is there a point where you should only get that small of a keyboard if you absolutely have no space for anything larger? I have plenty of space, I just don't need a large keyboard. I'd like key size to remain normal though, I don't want miniature keys.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

gameoverman wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:23 pm Does anyone here use a small keyboard for the desktop? I mean like one of those 60% keyboards. How does that small size feel? I'm using a full size right now but I want something smaller. I'm undecided if I should just lose the number pad, which I don't need, or get something REALLY small. Is there a point where you should only get that small of a keyboard if you absolutely have no space for anything larger? I have plenty of space, I just don't need a large keyboard. I'd like key size to remain normal though, I don't want miniature keys.
I've been using the Microsoft Sculpt since December with my work laptop. No major complaints. I don't use the separate keypad. I like it because it gives me room for a controller and extra mouse from my personal PC. Before I was having space issues. It's nice because it is still basically full sized; I don't run into issues with smaller keys. And I like that it's ergonomic. My wife did remind me though that I do sometimes run into problems where it seems like the left shift key won't register all the time. But that might be a battery issue. Not sure. It has been pretty reliable lately. The main drawback is that it's not mechanical - if you want that. The only small form ergonomic keyboards were a LOT more expensive.

It helps that I use a game pad for my gaming. Either an old Nostromo Speed Pad or a newer RedDragon keypad. My keyboard for my personal PC sits farther back on the desk and rarely gets used. I have room to put the Microsoft one in front of it without things being too crowded.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i got a Matias Mini Quiet Pro mechanical from a Goodwill for $4 - had to fix the USB port on it, however.

http://matias.ca/miniquietpro/pc/

it's not 60% (i don't think) but it is small and is, tactile-wise, the best feeling keyboard i've used in a long time. really like it a lot and it's probably worth the $130 MSRP.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I use a 75% keyboard (unique form factor) Velocifire TK78, but it's not available right now. It's basically a 60-key keyboard with a row of function keys and a delete key and escape key. It's just a regular mechanical keyboard. I picked the function keys as I do use function keys.

The smaller keyboards (even Razer is joining the 60% bandwagon now) has all the keys, just hidden under an additional function layer. So if you already touch type, learning another key to hold isn't that difficult. And if there are some keys you want to use more often (like backtick for programming, or tilde...) , there are probably key remapping software either from factory or aftermarket that can let you do that. The catch is remembering it.

other than that? It's just a nice compact keyboard.

EDIT: I actually have a different keyboard on my desk... The Royal Kludge RGB keyboard, which is a 60% with 2 extra columns of keys to the right. No function row key, but you get the arrow keys and the other cursor cluster keys.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I got this one a year ago. It's a full-size, lightweight board with almost no bezel. My only complaint is that, because it has no edges, it's almost impossible to pick up without pressing a key. For some reason, that key is always Caps Lock. It's probably the smallest full-size keyboard you will find.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I have two of these Jellycomb keyboards. I use them for the extra machines in my office. The keys are the same size as my laptop, it just trims everything around the edges and no number pad. I like them. They are wireless, and I never had to change a battery yet, but is not a full time keyboard for me. They don't have adjustable riser, if you don't like the angle then too bad. Its not flat on the desktop, has a maybe 15 degree angle, which is good for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Keyboar ... B0756XFFJZ
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

As it appears that I’m never leaving my house again, I made some home office upgrades, specifically the Logitech MX Master 3 mouse and the MX Keys keyboard. The allure here was that they are both Bluetooth, and both can connect to up to three PCs at once, and you can seamlessly move between the machines.

This will let me have one set of keyboard and mouse, and have it control both my work and home laptops without any fuss.

Right now I have a wired keyboard and mouse, and it annoys the crap out of me to switch them.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:12 pm Logitech MX Master 3 mouse
It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Isgrimnur wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:12 pm Logitech MX Master 3 mouse
It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.
Yeah, it is by far the most comfortable mouse I’ve used. I like that it’s designed with programmers in mind. It’s super easy to disable the “ratchet” mechanism in the mouse wheel when you need to, and it flies in high speed mode. Very handy when scrolling through source code.

The side wheel for horizontal scrolling takes a little getting used to, but I have some large Visio-based UML diagrams I’m working on and it is awesome for that. Very smooth.

I also like how it integrates Alt-Tab into the mouse as well, and desktop switching if your into that sort of thing.

I’m less enthusiastic about the keyboard because it’s not here yet, and I don’t hate my Logitech GSomething mechanical keyboard. I just hate the wires and the inability to control two computers at once.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

my work peripherals of the past several years

don't like the wireless-ness of the keyboard as the dongle interferes with the laptop boot process and it needs to be removed every.single.time when restarting, but it is ergonomic and ten-keyless. also trackball is way more comfortable than a mouse.

(i don't usually work on an old sewing table, this is temporary)
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:57 pm I got this one a year ago. It's a full-size, lightweight board with almost no bezel. My only complaint is that, because it has no edges, it's almost impossible to pick up without pressing a key. For some reason, that key is always Caps Lock. It's probably the smallest full-size keyboard you will find.
Quite the stealthy combo. I was about to press the buy now, then realized it didn't say anything about backlighting. I work in the dark a lot. The keyboard is backlit, right?
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Dave Allen wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:21 pm
Kraken wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:57 pm I got this one a year ago. It's a full-size, lightweight board with almost no bezel. My only complaint is that, because it has no edges, it's almost impossible to pick up without pressing a key. For some reason, that key is always Caps Lock. It's probably the smallest full-size keyboard you will find.
Quite the stealthy combo. I was about to press the buy now, then realized it didn't say anything about backlighting. I work in the dark a lot. The keyboard is backlit, right?
Alas, no. On the plus side, its battery lasts forever. Last time it wore down, I'd forgotten it was rechargeable and spent several long minutes trying to find the battery compartment. I think I've charged it twice in a year.

Not that I'm trying to sell it. It suits me because I sit back with my feet on my desk and the keyboard on my lap, so I like the small size and light weight. I keep my office dim, but not dark.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Mainly for grins, I was studying up A+, as I really had not too much to do and plenty fo time contemplating my unemployment. I'm dividing up my time between studying some JavaScript, studying up some books I bought, and studying up A+ and other compTIA certs. I can get cheap cert exams (but it's still 100 bucks each) with my community college ACAD discount, but it's better not to flunk, right?

So I took a 25 question "sample test"... only got like 63%. One of the questions that stumped me was "SSHD". WTF was an SSHD? Turns out, it's the official name of "hybrid drive" (some SSD caching the regular HDD) Grrrrr!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Any one got the Steam Controller? Is it an upgrade to say, an Xbox 360 aka Windows Reference Controller? Should I just get a Xbox One wireless controller as upgrade?

My Xbox 360 wireless controller is started to show a 'drift' (the left stick tends to "walk left" and I had to recenter it quite a few times.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:39 pm Any one got the Steam Controller? Is it an upgrade to say, an Xbox 360 aka Windows Reference Controller? Should I just get a Xbox One wireless controller as upgrade?
i have a Steam Controller (my old company worked on these, actually) and unlike console controllers, it's a usable replacement for mouse/keyboard titles and is incredibly customizable. also unlike console controllers, i don't like it for 2D games as it doesn't have a real joypad.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:39 pm Any one got the Steam Controller? Is it an upgrade to say, an Xbox 360 aka Windows Reference Controller? Should I just get a Xbox One wireless controller as upgrade?

My Xbox 360 wireless controller is started to show a 'drift' (the left stick tends to "walk left" and I had to recenter it quite a few times.
Don't overlook the good ol' Sony DualShock 4. It's mighty comfortable to use, and DS4Windows makes it effortless to set up and configure on a PC. Better yet, it's now fully supported and integrated in Steam. Meaning you can tweak the touchpad and light bar, and enjoy all of the unique custom configuration, remapping, and sensitivity options found on Valve's Steam Controller. You can also tap into the DualShock 4's gyroscope, allowing you to aim your gun in a shooter by using motion controls if you like.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From PC Gamer, Windows 95 came out 25 years ago and it was a game changer for PCs
We often think about the evolution of the PC in terms of hardware, especially now, with AMD and Nvidia both on the cusp of releasing a new generation of GPUs. But on the software side, many of the the things we take for granted today—such as the Start menu, or y'know, not having to reboot your PC every single time you wanted to play a game—started with Windows 95. And Windows 95 turned 25 years old yesterday, so happy birthday to you.
All that knowledge I had built up about using MS-DOS as a gaming platform, all wasted :cry:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If I dont think on it it feels like 10 years ago.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:18 pm From PC Gamer, Windows 95 came out 25 years ago and it was a game changer for PCs
We often think about the evolution of the PC in terms of hardware, especially now, with AMD and Nvidia both on the cusp of releasing a new generation of GPUs. But on the software side, many of the the things we take for granted today—such as the Start menu, or y'know, not having to reboot your PC every single time you wanted to play a game—started with Windows 95. And Windows 95 turned 25 years old yesterday, so happy birthday to you.
All that knowledge I had built up about using MS-DOS as a gaming platform, all wasted :cry:
i was pretty annoyed with Win95 for the same reason. never owned a machine that used it myself - went from DOS (and .. ugh... Win3.1, when absolutely necessary) to Win98 in 1998. suffered with that for a while (and WinNT) until Win2k finally came along with a reasonably usable GUI.

i will say the terminal in Linux is DOS squared (or cubed?), so i'm happy with that.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have the Steam controller, and I find it a bit... fiddly. Especially in games that aren't run through Steam. I also have a XBone wireless controller that I bought a while back as a replacement for my 360 controller, and I love it.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:25 pm Don't overlook the good ol' Sony DualShock 4. It's mighty comfortable to use, and DS4Windows makes it effortless to set up and configure on a PC. Better yet, it's now fully supported and integrated in Steam. Meaning you can tweak the touchpad and light bar, and enjoy all of the unique custom configuration, remapping, and sensitivity options found on Valve's Steam Controller. You can also tap into the DualShock 4's gyroscope, allowing you to aim your gun in a shooter by using motion controls if you like.
So I assume I should get a genuine one, not a clone? Or does that matter? Genuine ones are like 65 or so. Clones are less than half the price.

About the same price for the Xbox One controllers, in fact. (And what's with the Elite controller?!)
Anonymous Bosch

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:19 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:25 pm Don't overlook the good ol' Sony DualShock 4. It's mighty comfortable to use, and DS4Windows makes it effortless to set up and configure on a PC. Better yet, it's now fully supported and integrated in Steam. Meaning you can tweak the touchpad and light bar, and enjoy all of the unique custom configuration, remapping, and sensitivity options found on Valve's Steam Controller. You can also tap into the DualShock 4's gyroscope, allowing you to aim your gun in a shooter by using motion controls if you like.
So I assume I should get a genuine one, not a clone? Or does that matter? Genuine ones are like 65 or so. Clones are less than half the price.

About the same price for the Xbox One controllers, in fact. (And what's with the Elite controller?!)
Yeah, I'd recommend sticking with a bona fide Sony controller and avoiding shody knockoffs. Also, you can usually buy 'em brand new on eBay for <$50 w/ free shipping, e.g. here's a brand new Midnight Blue Sony DS4 Controller for $39.99 w/ free shipping. Keep in mind though, the necessary micro USB to USB type-A cable for charging is typically not included (but if you're anything like me, you likely have more than a few nicer, braided versions of those cables knocking around anyway).

The Xbox Elite Wireless Controller is essentially a luxury, highly customizable upgrade over the regular controller. Meaning you're able to tweak and adjust pretty much each and every aspect of the controller, such as d-pads, shift paddles, joystick tension, and so on.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Found XBone controller, supposedly Windows compatible too, for $43 w/ free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-Micr ... 4844660801
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

You definitely don't want a knockoff Dualshock. Ask me how I know, and I wasn't even trying to buy a knockoff. I think you should be careful where you buy it, lest two months down the road, you start to notice that it outputs the "up" motion without you doing anything. Fun!

From what I understand, PS4 controllers are faked on a similar scale as higher end sunglasses - i.e. the market is LOUSY with controller fakes. Who knew?
Anonymous Bosch

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:56 pm Found XBone controller, supposedly Windows compatible too, for $43 w/ free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-Micr ... 4844660801
In terms of functionality, I think the DualShock 4 still comes out ahead of the Xbox One controller. Sony’s analog sticks are more responsive and a tad stiffer than the Xbox One controller in a good way. They allow for more precise movements and are sturdy enough to remain that way for a long time (unless you're super heavy-handed with it). The Xbox One d-pad certainly improves over the infamously crappy Xbox 360 d-pad, but transitions from one direction to another remain rigid and are followed by loud clicks. That unfortunately prevents it from being used comfortably for 2D movement. Conversely, the DS 4 d-pad has a barely audible sound with no rigid transitions between directions making it much more comfortable for 2D movement. The Xbox One controller also misses out on the DS 4's nifty built-in gyroscope/accelerometer combo. If you've never tried it, it's a surprisingly useful and convenient feature which allows for more accurate and intuitive camera movement, and is especially useful for fine-tuning one's aim in shooting games. On top of that, it provides a much easier way to use a cursor than an analog stick. Another feature that the DS 4 has and the Xbox One controller does not is the touchpad. Apart from the obvious application as a means of camera or cursor control, the touchpad is also clickable and highly customizable with DS4Windows. The point being, the DualShock 4 offers everything that the Xbox One controller does, but also includes some useful additional features that the Xbox One controller lacks.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i was wondering how supported the 'extra' DS4 functionality was on PC titles. i'm still using a 13 or 14-year-old Xbox 360 controller and i still complain about the d-pad. i did dislike the DS3 greatly due to its stupid L2/R2 buttons - it felt like my fingers kept slipping off those. in any case, i'm waiting to see what the next-gen console controllers are like. (i was one of those people that used a hardware adapter and the redcl0ud drivers to connect the original Xbox controller to PC before USB console controllers became a thing. i also have a parallel port adapter for Playstation 1/2 controllers.)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From PC Gamer: I got carried away and built a 36TB home server the size of a toaster oven
I built a 36TB home server this month, and before I tell you about it, I need to make one thing clear: I really don't need 36TB of storage. It's excessive, and the majority of that space will lie empty and unused for years. You could call it overkill, but I'm going to go with prepared. The build is the same either way, but isn't it more fun to be optimistic?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:33 pm i was wondering how supported the 'extra' DS4 functionality was on PC titles. i'm still using a 13 or 14-year-old Xbox 360 controller and i still complain about the d-pad. i did dislike the DS3 greatly due to its stupid L2/R2 buttons - it felt like my fingers kept slipping off those. in any case, i'm waiting to see what the next-gen console controllers are like. (i was one of those people that used a hardware adapter and the redcl0ud drivers to connect the original Xbox controller to PC before USB console controllers became a thing. i also have a parallel port adapter for Playstation 1/2 controllers.)
Hah, I have the ORIGINAL Top Gun thrustmaster stick somewhere... Joystick port, anyone? But then I have a whole collection of these oddball controllers lying around. I think I still have the Dual Strike somewhere... and I think my Strategic Commander still works...
Anonymous Bosch

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:33 pm i was wondering how supported the 'extra' DS4 functionality was on PC titles. i'm still using a 13 or 14-year-old Xbox 360 controller and i still complain about the d-pad. i did dislike the DS3 greatly due to its stupid L2/R2 buttons - it felt like my fingers kept slipping off those. in any case, i'm waiting to see what the next-gen console controllers are like. (i was one of those people that used a hardware adapter and the redcl0ud drivers to connect the original Xbox controller to PC before USB console controllers became a thing. i also have a parallel port adapter for Playstation 1/2 controllers.)
Thanks to DS4Windows and the built-in Steam support, PC users arguably get a whole lot more useful functionality and customization from a DualShock 4 controller than the console it's designed for. Steam support is also mighty useful if you're on Linux, and you can use ds4drv for further Linux customization.

BTW here's a useful video from Linus Tech Tips that delves into using JibbSmart's open source JoyShockMapper to customise the DualShock 4 gyroscope/accelerometer:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I use a XB360 controller on my PC. I have a XBone controller around here someplace but dont like the feel. Also it wont work with PC as I dont have a cord or dongle for it...just got the controller in a BOC from WOOT a ways back. I like my PS4 controller on the PS4 fine but prefer the old 360 ones. I think its the offset sticks.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Okay, you guys convinced me. eBay ordered one. That link has expired, but I found a V2 for $45 and free shipping.

Now, what do you guys think of that "back button controller" add-on? :)
Anonymous Bosch

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:26 pm Okay, you guys convinced me. eBay ordered one. That link has expired, but I found a V2 for $45 and free shipping.

Now, what do you guys think of that "back button controller" add-on? :)
I haven't used the DualShock 4 back button attachment personally. Adding some textured silicone thumb grip caps to protect the analog sticks and improve upon the original grip isn't a bad idea though, especially while they're new. Doing so will help prevent them from becoming decayed or worn-down.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I use the thump rubbers too. Helps.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:15 am I use the thump rubbers too. Helps.
Ain't no rubber what'll protect you from that.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:08 am I haven't used the DualShock 4 back button attachment personally. Adding some textured silicone thumb grip caps to protect the analog sticks and improve upon the original grip isn't a bad idea though, especially while they're new. Doing so will help prevent them from becoming decayed or worn-down.
I use a set of these, which I saw recommended by some competitive players. You put a regular one on the left (move) stick, and a taller one on the right (aim) stick. It increases the distance you have to move the right stick, just a bit, which increases your precision when aiming, as it lets you make smaller adjustments.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

These look like mine. But I have a online friend that gets them from a place in China for about 30 cents a set.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:49 am These look like mine. But I have a online friend that gets them from a place in China for about 30 cents a set.
Aliexpress has them pretty cheap, multiple heights, plus extended triggers. less than $5 shipped.