Finally need to replace my router

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

Finally need to replace my router

Post by jztemple2 »

I've had my router since time begun, so I guess it's time to replace it. I need four Ethernet out connectors, WiFi and something fairly simple to set up and use. Money isn't a big concern since I will probably be keeping it forever. I also don't need a lot of bells and whistles. Any suggestions would be appreciated :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Re: Finally need to replace my router

Post by Daehawk »

I suggest ASUS. Im still using my ASUS Diamond type.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

We have an ASUS AC1900. You'll definitely want something that's compatible with 802.11ac wireless if you're going to future-proof it.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I'd suggest going with The Wirecutter's current recommendation for the best Wi-Fi router, namely the TP-Link Archer A20 for $196.99 from Amazon:
The Wirecutter wrote:After testing 10 routers over 120 hours, we’ve determined that the best router for wirelessly connecting your laptops, your smart devices, and anything else your daily life depends on is the TP-Link Archer A20. It was faster than anything else we tested at both close and long range, it’s reliable, and it shrugs off the stress of handling multiple wireless devices simultaneously.

TP-Link’s Archer A20 is easy to set up and has three wireless bands instead of the usual two, which helps it handle more connections at once. It’s big, but it is our top performer, and it includes advanced features, such as link aggregation, that will appeal to the technically inclined.

The TP-Link Archer A20 tri-band 802.11ac router passed all of our performance tests with top marks. If you don’t have a huge or complicated house that needs a mesh-networking kit, the Archer A20 is the best choice to replace an older router or one that doesn’t have the range, speed, or reliability you need now. The Archer A20 has features such as a quad-core processor and band steering over its three channels (two 5 GHz and one 2.4 GHz), which can help you connect your household’s growing collection of wireless devices while avoiding dropped connections and slowdown.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for all the inputs. I went ahead and ordered the Archer A20 which will be here tomorrow. I'll post my results.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I got the Archer 20 today and installed it. The tech part of the install was almost absurdly easy, I used my iPod Touch instead of a smartphone but it was fine. The harder part was digging under my desk to run the new power supply to my UPS and getting all the old tangled cables straighten up.

Everything tested fine, the wireless signal from the router is much better in the house. And it turns out I can't blame Spectrum for my low, 32 Mbps download rates I had before, because once I installed the new router I'm now seeing over 90 Mbps :D. I wish I'd thought of doing this before I tried to download Red Dead Redemption 2 :doh:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I learned something new today. My wireless mouse was behaving erratically in movement. I did all the usual troubleshooting, changed batteries, new mouse pad, tried a different wireless mouse, nothing changed. I tried a wired mouse and it worked fine. And then it occurred to me that my wireless mouse dongle (niblet? USB thingee) was right next to my new router. Was it interference? I moved the dongle to a port right on the computer, a couple of feet away and boom, it is working fine. So something good to know in the future.
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

I don't know if you guys have access to AVM, but those are the go to routers in Germany. That is the one I bought the other day:
https://en.avm.de/products/fritzbox/fri ... fications/
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Neat. I haven't seen ISDN in ages. I used to have a half ISDN line around 1997 / 1998 until I got cable around 2003. It was my first actual phone line in my own name. An adult thing to me hehehe. My own number. The actual box is still on the back of my home.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

To be true, I' don't hink a lot of people still have it (or can use it), as it got replaced by shitty IP-based telephony, but I see it as a nice addon for those who still have. (Lucky bastards).
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm having kind of a weird, well, not a problem with my new TP-Link Archer A20 router as much as a feature I'm not thrilled with. With my old router, when I woke my computer it was already connected to the internet. Now, with my new router, it take about 5-10 seconds for an internet connection to be established. This happened when I installed the router and I'm pretty sure it wasn't anything I changed on the computer. I basically know when the connection has been made because the Dropbox symbol in my system tray goes from greyed out to white, plus my Gmail starts downloading.

All the six blue lights on the router stay illuminated whether my computer is awake or asleep and I can connect wirelessly to the internet from other devices through the router with no delay, so that function of the router is OK. Is this normal for this generation of routers? Or can I change some setting so the connection stays up even when the computer is asleep? Or am I worrying over nothing? Do these jeans make my butt look big? Why is there air?

I'll stop now :roll:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Turn on Logging and see what's happening.

Go to Advanced > System Tools > System Log.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, I did this and looked at the log. Here's what appears to be the latest event sequence:

2019-12-19 15:10:07 led-controller[1303]: <6> 288051 Start to run WAN1_ON
2019-12-19 15:10:07 led-controller[1303]: <6> 288051 Start to run WAN0_OFF
2019-12-19 15:10:07 led-controller[1303]: <6> 288051 Start to run LAN_ON
2019-12-19 15:09:58 led-controller[1303]: <6> 288051 Start to run WAN1_OFF
2019-12-19 15:09:58 led-controller[1303]: <6> 288051 Start to run WAN0_ON
2019-12-19 15:09:58 led-controller[1303]: <6> 288051 Start to run LAN_ON

That nine second delay looks like it might be the same as the time it is taking to establish my internet connection. Any ideas if this is normal or whatever? I've done some looking on the internet but didn't find anything.

UPDATE: I did try swapping the ethernet cables around on the back of the unit, but it still behaves the same.

UPDATE 2: Nevermind the above. The previous event like the one above was from five days previous and since I put to sleep and wake the machine several times a day, the above doesn't seem to be connected with the delay after all. Sounded good though :doh: