Should we give people a child allowance?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Jaymon

Re: Should we give people a child allowance?

Post by Jaymon »

So this has already been done partially. The previous stimulus checks were larger based on how many children were in the family. If I read the article correctly, its stimulus checks that only include the "child" portion, and they would come monthly.

personally I'm in favor of it. And here is why.

Obviously, I would be more in favor of monthly checks for everybody. But its becoming increasingly clear thats probably not going to happen. But by reducing the scope of the monthly checks to just children, perhaps it will be possible to get that pushed through for approvals by both sides. Maybe since we have proven we won't help ALL the people, perhaps we can help SOME of the people, and in my opinion, thats better than helping NONE of the people.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Also, just to clarify, this is ALREADY in place. The difference is how it's distributed. I've received child tax credits for at least half the years I have had kids.

Apparently this program sends out money every month Instead of giving parents a lump sum credit come April 15. It's also slightly higher than it previously was (but this amount changes seemingly with administrations, IIRC).
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:27 pm Also, just to clarify, this is ALREADY in place. The difference is how it's distributed. I've received child tax credits for at least half the years I have had kids.

Apparently this program sends out money every month Instead of giving parents a lump sum credit come April 15. It's also slightly higher than it previously was (but this amount changes seemingly with administrations, IIRC).
The major difference is that this includes those who previously didn't qualify for the tax credit, that is those with the lowest incomes. A tax credit requires taxable income.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

I have to read more on this - I'm assuming I'm going to have to change my withholdings as they assume the tax credit at the end of the year. Like, with two kids, I'll get $7200/year, but if I was getting a refund less than that, it will mean I'll end up owing money.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Can I sneak an I told you so in here? The push for things like this is going to continue to grow as native population growth continued to slow.

Many of our systems are pyramid schemes and those fail when the base is smaller than the top. When we discussed this years and years ago, it was Europe that was primarily trying to bribe people into having kids. I’m not shocked that we are thinking about it now.

I’m intellectually against it, but at the same time, I see the trajectory that we are on for my kids, and it seems that the path to parenthood continues to get harder every year. I feel bad for them.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
stessier

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:39 pm When we discussed this years and years ago, it was Europe that was primarily trying to bribe people into having kids.
That's a rather cynical take on the topic.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:39 pmI’m intellectually against it, but at the same time, I see the trajectory that we are on for my kids, and it seems that the path to parenthood continues to get harder every year. I feel bad for them.
I totally agree that we're going to see way more of this as our population growth slows - and it IS slowing, in a big way. We can make up some of that with immigration, but there are costs to that as well.

Out of curiosity, why the intellectual opposition? History suggests to me that countries with a very slow population growth do not prosper.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

stessier wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:39 pm When we discussed this years and years ago, it was Europe that was primarily trying to bribe people into having kids.
That's a rather cynical take on the topic.
In the case of Europe, it is exactly what they were trying to do, to overcome a shrinking tax base, which is a death sentence for their economic system. You can’t have an ever decreasing base providing money to care for an ever increasing population. That’s guaranteed failure. What did you think was driving their pro-birth policies?

What do you think drives our pro-birth policies? Family values?
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Little Raven wrote:Out of curiosity, why the intellectual opposition? History suggests to me that countries with a very slow population growth do not prosper.
SEE: Nearly 20 years of Quinn debates on GG and OO. :)

Intellectually, pro-growth policies will exacerbate and already severe problem (overpopulation).

However, unlike that RM9, I’m not a robot anymore. So I’m not as cold about it as I was back then.
Make up bags of change
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is also why the Japanese are obsessed with robot technology after grappling with decades of low population and economic growth issues. They recognized early that their birth rate was plummeting as growth slowed. The economy slowed and the birth rate kept falling. Stair stepping down until they sort of acknowledged they weren't going to get ahead of it and said...eff it...robot caretakers.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:10 pm
Little Raven wrote:Out of curiosity, why the intellectual opposition? History suggests to me that countries with a very slow population growth do not prosper.
SEE: Nearly 20 years of Quinn debates on GG and OO. :).
Damn. It’s been a long time.

PS: That’s right, I’m still here. Just morphed into a lurker.
18-1™ & 2-0
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Trent Steel wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:04 pm

No chance! NO CHANCE!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Trent Steel wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:04 pm

It's good to see you post again!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I struggle when trying to manage all 3 alts here; I will try harder.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:21 pm I struggle when trying to manage all 3 alts here; I will try harder.
Thanks, ma'am! That would be appreciated.