CPAC 2021 - Insurrection was only the beginning™

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Paingod

Re: CPAC 2021 - Insurrection was only the beginning™

Post by Paingod »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:03 pm
Paingod wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:33 pm That bottom image evoked a confederate flag concept for me.

Nazis, Confederates ... the GOP hits all the right marks for ... uh ... I don't even know. How are they still a thing in this current state?
Because there are a lot of white people that enjoy having collective dominance over nonwhite people?
Please don't remind me of how disappointed I am in so many people. I want to pretend they don't exist.

If I click my heels together three times and say "I don't believe in Nazis. I don't believe in Nazis. I don't believe in Nazis." can we go back in time to when they had to hide it and try again to push it down instead of bring it forward?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Re: CPAC 2021 - Insurrection was only the beginning™

Post by El Guapo »

Paingod wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:03 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:03 pm
Paingod wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:33 pm That bottom image evoked a confederate flag concept for me.

Nazis, Confederates ... the GOP hits all the right marks for ... uh ... I don't even know. How are they still a thing in this current state?
Because there are a lot of white people that enjoy having collective dominance over nonwhite people?
Please don't remind me of how disappointed I am in so many people. I want to pretend they don't exist.

If I click my heels together three times and say "I don't believe in Nazis. I don't believe in Nazis. I don't believe in Nazis." can we go back in time to when they had to hide it and try again to push it down instead of bring it forward?
The good news is that the Trumpist / current GOP coalition doesn't generally seem capable of garnering majority support. Also in general tolerance and respect for minority rights tends to increase in the long run rather than decrease.

The bad news is that we're stuck with an archaic political system that allows the GOP coalition to exercise disproportionate power relative to their electoral support. But in terms of "faith in people"...not that people are *great*, but it is worth qualifying that you shouldn't 100% correlate the people's representatives with the people under our system. Also means that we have a shot at holding off the Trumpist coalition, and if we can do it things should get better over time.
Black Lives Matter.