CPAC 2021 - Insurrection was only the beginning™

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

CPAC 2021 - Insurrection was only the beginning™

Post by malchior »

It's starting strong. My man Aaron Rupar is on it - he should be providing us the choicest, giblets of insanity.

Octavious

Re: CPAC 2021 - Insurrection was only the beginning™

Post by Octavious »

It's probably better for your mental health to not follow this all weekend. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

Mental health? Who has that anymore? Especially if you are actually paying attention. Example A - how they openly talk about their plans to undermine elections. It must be normal since they feel safe to do this. Apparently sunlight no longer is a disinfectant - but don't tell Trump - he'll get all Trump-y about it.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Unfortunately Florida Man made us look every day just to make sure we weren't about to be annihilated by thermonuclear war. No longer required reading.

But there is another way this could go. Florida Man presents an existential threat if he lives long enough to get the nomination. If that happens, it will likely ignite a "never again" mobilization among everyone he screwed over last time around, and rational adults, like we saw in 2020. Repugnicans will suppress votes like Cruz on a bowl of guacamole, but at this point they cannot actually outlaw voting. Yet.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Needs to be called RCPAC now (Radical CPAC).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I saw comments on Daily Record article about how Biden has already cost jobs. It's like they have no idea that Trump was actually negative in his job numbers. He pretty much couldn't have done a worse job the last 4 years and they are treating him like a god.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

"Real American Samurai".

What. The. Fuck?

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

http://fendnow.org/encyclopedia/genki-fujii/
Genki Fujii (藤井厳喜), alternatively spelled Gemki Fujii and also known as Noboru Fujii (藤井昇), is a conservative political commentator and comfort women denier.
Fujii has spoken conferences of JCPAC held by Japanese Conservative Union, and his company is a “Presenting Sponsor” for the (American) CPAC 2021 which is the second highest sponsorship level said to cost $125,000.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

He appears to really hate China. It seems that the bulk of his current writing is flat out anti-China and pro-Taiwan. I don't think he is doing much analysis of how much damage Trump did or will do to the United States.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:43 pm Unfortunately Florida Man made us look every day just to make sure we weren't about to be annihilated by thermonuclear war. No longer required reading.

But there is another way this could go. Florida Man presents an existential threat if he lives long enough to get the nomination. If that happens, it will likely ignite a "never again" mobilization among everyone he screwed over last time around, and rational adults, like we saw in 2020. Repugnicans will suppress votes like Cruz on a bowl of guacamole, but at this point they cannot actually outlaw voting. Yet.
The R Party is already shrinking as it burrows deeper into trump's bed, and moderates have been turning away since 1/6. If it continues to radicalize, only the radical base will be left. There are enough of them to win elections in the old Confederacy, but they won't win nationally or in purple states unless Biden & Co. also manage to repel voters.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kraken wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:32 pm
Jaymann wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:43 pm Unfortunately Florida Man made us look every day just to make sure we weren't about to be annihilated by thermonuclear war. No longer required reading.

The R Party is already shrinking as it burrows deeper into trump's bed, and moderates have been turning away since 1/6. If it continues to radicalize, only the radical base will be left. There are enough of them to win elections in the old Confederacy, but they won't win nationally or in purple states unless Biden & Co. also manage to repel voters.
This is our only hope, really. Failing that...
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Kraken wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:32 pm The R Party is already shrinking as it burrows deeper into trump's bed, and moderates have been turning away since 1/6. If it continues to radicalize, only the radical base will be left. There are enough of them to win elections in the old Confederacy, but they won't win nationally or in purple states unless Biden & Co. also manage to repel voters.
I want to believe.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Dogstar wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:39 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:32 pm The R Party is already shrinking as it burrows deeper into trump's bed, and moderates have been turning away since 1/6. If it continues to radicalize, only the radical base will be left. There are enough of them to win elections in the old Confederacy, but they won't win nationally or in purple states unless Biden & Co. also manage to repel voters.
I want to believe.
I don't think I can believe anymore. I'm just thankful Biden won and hope the guardrails are back on and strong enough come 2022 and 2024
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Dogstar wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:39 pm
I want to believe.
Except for the massive voter suppression and gerrymandering... In a level playing field they would never win again. (Well until they stop being batshit crazy. So ya never. )

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

That's one option. But the path I fear is the one that results in the Crazy GAINING support - which it seems to be. Or it has/had more support than any right-minded American believed could be possible. The Crazy has been sneaking up on us for a decade or more it seems, and we either discounted it completely as ridiculous, or just were totally unaware of its apparent draw and power over a significant portion of our fellow citizens.

The old, logical thinking would be to neutrally observe the last 6 months of the Trump presidency, culminating I guess in Jan 6, and assume that that behavior, and support of said behavior, would result in a political reckoning at some point, at the polls. Personally I think that's a very big, dangerous assumption. We HOPE that the increasing radicalization of the former GOP will result in people "waking up" to the nasty, dirty truth and not wanting to be associated with it anymore. But really how likely is that? Can we really use the two wins in the Georgia senate race as leading indicators to that kind of reckoning? I don't think so. Would obviously love for it to be so, but again, dangerous assumption.

LOTS of doubling down going on out there, folks. Lots. Lots of "traditional" GOP'ers (just at the common voter level, I'm not even talking about people in office) being forced to take a side, and I think a lot more than we expect will become part of The Crazy. Take a broad look at the state level senators and congressmen and women. VERY red. VERY crazy.

"But our system "held"!" I hear you shout, regarding our institutional (representative) democracy vs The Crazy. Sure did. But barely. I guess that could be argued, but the fact that The Crazy was not soundly and furiously put down should worry us about the next time. And there WILL be a next time.

Sweet dreams! :P (that's for you, Smoove)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Golden Trump statue turns heads at CPAC

Why do they worship this fool? Remember what God said about idol worship.

Enlarge Image
The more than 6-foot-tall statue turned heads as it was wheeled into the Hyatt Regency Thursday evening while CPAC attendees picked up their registration and milled about the hotel. The statue was on its way to the conference's exhibit hall, where it found a home in a booth for a conservative nonprofit called Look Ahead America.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:58 pm

That's one option. But the path I fear is the one that results in the Crazy GAINING support - which it seems to be. Or it has/had more support than any right-minded American believed could be possible. The Crazy has been sneaking up on us for a decade or more it seems, and we either discounted it completely as ridiculous, or just were totally unaware of its apparent draw and power over a significant portion of our fellow citizens.

The old, logical thinking would be to neutrally observe the last 6 months of the Trump presidency, culminating I guess in Jan 6, and assume that that behavior, and support of said behavior, would result in a political reckoning at some point, at the polls. Personally I think that's a very big, dangerous assumption. We HOPE that the increasing radicalization of the former GOP will result in people "waking up" to the nasty, dirty truth and not wanting to be associated with it anymore. But really how likely is that? Can we really use the two wins in the Georgia senate race as leading indicators to that kind of reckoning? I don't think so. Would obviously love for it to be so, but again, dangerous assumption.

LOTS of doubling down going on out there, folks. Lots. Lots of "traditional" GOP'ers (just at the common voter level, I'm not even talking about people in office) being forced to take a side, and I think a lot more than we expect will become part of The Crazy. Take a broad look at the state level senators and congressmen and women. VERY red. VERY crazy.

"But our system "held"!" I hear you shout, regarding our institutional (representative) democracy vs The Crazy. Sure did. But barely. I guess that could be argued, but the fact that The Crazy was not soundly and furiously put down should worry us about the next time. And there WILL be a next time.

Bear in mind that the investigation into 1/6 has barely begun. Biden's AG says that will be the DOJ's first priority. We all know where the responsibility lies. If justice is served, then trump won't be the only one Merrick Garland brings charges against. The Crazy is not off the hook. Even if they ultimately evade jail time, they're going to look more and more repulsive as the facts become known.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:58 pm

If anyone said on 1/7 or even 1/20 that Trump would have re-consolidated power over the party by the end of February you would have been laughed off. The very serious people crowed about how he had lost them the House and Senate! The GOP is politically in the woods! They are dying. And here we are with redistricting coming up, looking down the barrel of a Presidency unable to enact most of his agenda. We're may see many of his initiatives tied up in court. Though the magnitude of that is unknown at the moment. In the end, we're not a serious, politically stable, or democratic nation.
It's not just adangerous assumption, it doesn't look two moves down the field. The census data will be released in September which will kick off the redistricting process. September is relatively late for census data so I expect redistricting will be an abbreviated, opaque, and undemocratic. There is a good chance they'll rush through Wisconsin like gerrymandering in Florida at the least. They may pick up 3-4 seats just in Florida based on it. They only need 5. Other states will also almost certainly re-district in ways that'll shift seats "permanently" to the GOP in the House. We won't know until October or November what the wreckage looks like but it will not be pretty.

Meanwhile in the Senate, you'll see another phenomena at play. GOP states that are more purple but lean R will see less crazy GOP senators running in the middle. They know they can't run around like Graham or Lee or Johnson. They will downplay the crazy and maybe moderate on some votes that won't impact anything. Maybe they'll win or maybe the GOP brand will hurt them but don't count on that. The math and mid-term turnouts works against you if you hope to rely on that card playing.
Very. It is worse at the state and local level than even the national level. And they aren't getting kicked to the curb.

+1
Kraken wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:42 pmBear in mind that the investigation into 1/6 has barely begun. Biden's AG says that will be the DOJ's first priority. We all know where the responsibility lies. If justice is served, then trump won't be the only one Merrick Garland brings charges against. The Crazy is not off the hook. Even if they ultimately evade jail time, they're going to look more and more repulsive as the facts become known.
We've already seen repulsive not matter. It may matter less and less based on the above.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

malchior wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:52 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:42 pmBear in mind that the investigation into 1/6 has barely begun. Biden's AG says that will be the DOJ's first priority. We all know where the responsibility lies. If justice is served, then trump won't be the only one Merrick Garland brings charges against. The Crazy is not off the hook. Even if they ultimately evade jail time, they're going to look more and more repulsive as the facts become known.
We've already seen repulsive not matter. It may matter less and less based on the above.
Certainly, complacency is our most dangerous pitfall. As Biden and his gang of competents continues to restore normalcy, and especially if the pandemic really does sputter out, it will be easy to be lulled into false security. I'm glad Garland is leading the investigation; he's already been skinned in the game. Meanwhile, we need Congressional Dems to keep the flame alive.
Many Democrats believe that the Republicans who voted against certifying the election were essentially cheering on the mob’s effort to kill them, and are wondering what “bipartisanship” even looks like in the wake of that. The result is an atmosphere more tense and distrustful than anyone can remember.

“Our concerns are not speculative — we all lived through the siege, which was an act of domestic terrorism instigated by Donald Trump,” said Representative Ritchie Torres, a freshman Democrat from New York. “If you reject democracy and if you reject the peaceful transfer of power upon which democracy depends, then there’s no common ground on which you can build.”

Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez colorfully summed up that sentiment on Twitter last month when Senator Ted Cruz offered to work with her on an inquiry into Wall Street’s GameStop controversy.

“I am happy to work with Republicans on this issue where there’s common ground, but you almost had me murdered 3 weeks ago so you can sit this one out,” she wrote.

Post-insurrection, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi declared that “the enemy is within” the House, and installed metal detectors at every entrance to the House floor to prevent members from bringing in guns.
The events have Democrats looking at Republican members they were friendly with before in a new light.

“A lot of relationships are strained and there are folks that are just in the penalty box,” said Representative Lori Trahan of Westford, a Democrat. “And it’s not something where it’s spoken or explicit, it’s just, I think we’re going to need some time before we’re all walking down the halls saying, ‘Hey how are you?’ or giving each other a slap on the back.”

Just a couple of weeks after the Senate acquitted Trump of the impeachment charge of inciting the mob, Democrats are still wrestling with whether they should try to impose their own consequences on Republicans who aided his effort to hang onto power. The question remains salient as many Republicans still refuse to admit the election was legitimate, including the second-ranking House Republican, Steve Scalise of Louisiana.

Torres said he asks one simple question when he receives opportunities to work across the aisle.

“There was a Republican who had reached out to my office to coauthor a letter, and the first question I asked my legislative director was, ‘Did that Republican vote to overturn the results of the election?’ ” said Torres. When he found out the member had voted to object, Torres told his staffer he was not interested in collaborating, regardless of the merit of the cause.

“I’m hardly alone in taking that approach,” he said.
The Democratic caucus as a whole hasn’t had any formal discussion about the efforts to shut out members who voted against certifying the election, according to one member. Some Democrats are crafting their own policies — only shunning members who are still actively spreading the lie that Trump really won, for example, instead of any member who voted against certifying. But the concerns among Democrats are near universal, spanning the progressive “Squad” to the moderate Blue Dogs.

“Watching my colleagues undermine our democracy was deeply disappointing to me and I do look at them in a different light than I did before,” said Representative Stephanie Murphy of Florida, a Blue Dog Democrat.

Murphy said that she still wants to work with any member who wants to help, but that she has trouble imagining being able to collaborate with those who have pushed conspiracy theories.

“You can’t work on policies that help the American people if your partner in this doesn’t believe in the same set of facts,” Murphy said.

The state of affairs has made the 65 or so Republicans who did not object to the election more popular with House Democrats who are looking to reach across the aisle on legislation.

“I think they’re appreciated for at least standing up for the rule of law,” said Representative Joaquin Castro, a Democrat from Texas who voted against the post office renaming on Tuesday. “There is a certain respect that even though we have deep political disagreements, they’re willing on some level to call a spade a spade.”
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Hold up, everyone. The stage for CPAC is actually shaped like an odal rune.

https://twitter.com/hami/status/1365339 ... 04419?s=20

According to Wikipedia:
In November 2016, the leadership of the National Socialist Movement announced their intention to replace the Nazi-pattern swastika with the Odal rune on their uniforms and party regalia in an attempt to enter mainstream politics.
What the FUCK.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm sure it'll just be a coincidence when we find out they have 88 speaking slots.
Carpet_pissr

CPAC 2021 - Insurrection was only the beginning[emoji769]

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ok the first post about that I was like “yeah, could totally be a coincidence, move along”. But that last post does not bode well.

JFC. Should we check the speaker roster for Madilf Hatler?

This smells like something Stephen Miller would coordinate.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:39 pm

This is our only hope, really. Failing that...
I'm not that hopeful anymore.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Eel Snave wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:01 pm Hold up, everyone. The stage for CPAC is actually shaped like an odal rune.

According to Wikipedia:
In November 2016, the leadership of the National Socialist Movement announced their intention to replace the Nazi-pattern swastika with the Odal rune on their uniforms and party regalia in an attempt to enter mainstream politics.
What the FUCK.
Quoting myself from the other thread where this came up:
It doesn't look as much like that rune as the pic at this angle suggests. The back of the stage is filled in (I believe that red triangle is just a carpet pattern, not a hole in the stage). The "wells" to either side are a common feature of modern staging: they're there so the camerapeople can move around and get more angles on the speaker (such as from behind them, looking at the audience).
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I generally don't attribute machiavellian intent where oblivious ignorance suffices.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:22 am
Eel Snave wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:01 pm Hold up, everyone. The stage for CPAC is actually shaped like an odal rune.

According to Wikipedia:
What the FUCK.
It doesn't look as much like that rune as the pic at this angle suggests. The back of the stage is filled in (I believe that red triangle is just a carpet pattern, not a hole in the stage). The "wells" to either side are a common feature of modern staging: they're there so the camerapeople can move around and get more angles on the speaker (such as from behind them, looking at the audience).
FWIW it doesn't have to be an exact layout of the rune. The point is to signal it. The red carpet was cut into that shape and suggests the visual. The red edging on the wells highlights the shape as well. I'm not going to say it is certain but I do not give them the benefit of the doubt anymore. And I don't think anyone should.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I just think we needn't look for secret signals (QAnon-style) when the hideous reality is right out in the open anyway.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:01 pm I just think we needn't look for secret signals (QAnon-style) when the hideous reality is right out in the open anyway.
Eh. I'd agree if this wasn't part and parcel how white nationalism operates in the United States. Very few are open about it and they absolutely are obsessed with sneaking secret symbols into everything. Like I said I'm not convinced but I also recognize it is very possible that this is what was intended. Approach this from another angle (ahem sorry) - who took the photo and released it? Is this someone trying to capitalize on an innocent error, completely unintentional framing, or someone dog whistling. One is way more likely than the others.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Quality stuff. I wonder if they kick back and talk about how our broken criminal justice system can't hold them accountable for their many crimes.

malchior

Post by malchior »

So what will happen with Trump today at CPAC?

NY Times

CBS News

Some synthesis of what the above sources believe we will and won't see:
  • Complete re-unification of the GOP under Trump
    • Attacks on Liz Cheney and Rep. Gonzalez in Ohio
    • However, he will likely not announce a 2024 run at this stage
  • Unprecedented attacks on Biden
    • Most President's don't comment on a successor at all - much less just over a month into a new Presidency
    • Heavily focused on Immigration policy
    • Also possibly on Keystone/anti-fracking/etc.
    • Will attack the lack of a real plan to re-open schools
  • He will take big swipes at Big Tech for 'censoring' him
  • Unknown if he will double down on the Big Lie
    • Many at CPAC have done so but he might have been convinced to moderate
My personal prediction is he will go off the rails. He has been boxed up, he'll have a cheering crowd, and he won't be able to help himself.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:43 pm My personal prediction is he will go off the rails. He has been boxed up, he'll have a cheering crowd, and he won't be able to help himself.
As was stated on SNL last night, if you want to know what to expect tonight, give your grandfather cocaine.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

I actually have been watching this - I don't think he'll run in 2024. He had several 'short circuits' where he stopped in the middle of a sentence and did that weird shoulder thing. I can't imagine whatever is going on there will be anything but worse in 3+ years.

In any case this has been a fairly typical semi-rant rally interspersed with deep pools of hate. He gave Greene a nice boost by going on a rant about women's sports that danced around transphobia without naming it. It wasn't so much a dog whistle as I don't know if he knows what that is all about. He centered it on records in women's sports competition being shattered left and right. Ok, we get it. He got a big pop from the women when he said he will save women's sports. (How!?) :doh:

Holman

Post by Holman »

Wow. I underestimated the PTSD. Just hearing his voice again gives me a shiver of nausea.
Carpet_pissr

Re: CPAC 2021 - Insurrection was only the beginning[emoji769]

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I applaud your bravery but question your sanity if you listened to orange HWRN.

Also, from the pic above: Why so many boo-boo’s? 3 alone on forearm that’s visible.

Or at least just band-aids - who knows with this old fool.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:42 amAlso, from the pic above: Why so many boo-boo’s? 3 alone on forearm that’s visible.
Maybe he's going through a self-harm phase as a way to get attention at the golf club.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:22 am

According to Wikipedia:
What the FUCK.
Why mirror the "wells" on the ceiling then? They were a conscious design element.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

That bottom image evoked a confederate flag concept for me.

Nazis, Confederates ... the GOP hits all the right marks for ... uh ... I don't even know. How are they still a thing in this current state?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:42 am
Also, from the pic above: Why so many boo-boo’s? 3 alone on forearm that’s visible.

Melania hates two things: fat guys and women who don't fight back.

She's locked into a prenup that she renegotiated a while back, so I wonder if she'll be leaving his giant orange ass soon?
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Paingod wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:33 pm That bottom image evoked a confederate flag concept for me.

Nazis, Confederates ... the GOP hits all the right marks for ... uh ... I don't even know. How are they still a thing in this current state?
Because there are a lot of white people that enjoy having collective dominance over nonwhite people?
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:42 amI applaud your bravery but question your sanity if you listened to orange HWRN.

FWIW I'm glad I did. IMO the very serious people are still badly underestimating the danger -- *again*. Much of the coverage was wishful or superficial.