President Rock?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Little Raven

President Rock?

Post by Little Raven »

America is a fractured country ... but there might be someone who can heal the nation from inside the Oval Office -- Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson!!
That's according to Johnson's longtime friend, WWE legend The Undertaker ... who tells TMZ Sports he'd fully support Johnson running for the highest office in the land -- and won't be surprised if he actually throws his hat in the ring.

"That man works his tail off and he dives in wholeheartedly in everything that he does and if he gets his mindset that he wants to make a run at politics, ya know what? I think he'll do it," Taker says.
We live in strange times.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Isgrimnur

Re: President Rock?

Post by Isgrimnur »

I look forward to seeing Chris Rock and Kid Rock in the cabinet.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:30 pm I look forward to seeing Chris Rock and Kid Rock in the cabinet.
Jokes aside, though, I wonder - how vulnerable is either party to celebrity takeover at the moment?

Obviously, the GOP was VERY primed for such an action - but I don't think Trump is the sharing type, so presumably that ground is off limits for the moment. But could a similar thing work on the Dems? Bernie tried, but ended up falling well short. But Bernie's star power is obviously quite limited next to someone like Johnson.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yes exactly what we need is another person with no idea how things work.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'd easily agree to higher taxes if I got to see Johnson drop the People's Elbow on Rand Paul.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

There's always a risk of a celebrity takeover, simply because of their name recognition. Before 2016, though, I would have thought some amount of political background (or possibly managerial background) would have been necessary to survive a primary and general election. Now, though, I have no such illusions.

When do we get President Oprah?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'd take the Rock over pretty much any other Republican... So ya... Totally could happen.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Octavious wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:51 pmI'd take the Rock over pretty much any other Republican... So ya... Totally could happen.
Well, sure. But we got Trump because a significant number of Republicans preferred him over any other Republican. So the question is...would you take the Rock over Yang, or Harris, or Buttigieg?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

A big key to Trump's success was his willingness to say the quiet (racist) parts out loud after years of GOP dog whistles. Plus the GOP "winner take all" primary structure and a fractured field. At least the first two of those probably wouldn't be true in 2028 (which is the soonest year he could plausibly run). I'm not sure what large group of under-targeted Democratic voters there are that he would be appealing to.

I guess I'm assuming that he'd be running as a Democrat - do we know?

I'm also assuming that this is talking about him running straight for President, instead of like running for governor or something first. If he ran for governor or the Senate with the goal of running for President later - that could plausibly succeed (see, e.g., Reagan).
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:57 pmI guess I'm assuming that he'd be running as a Democrat - do we know?
He spoke at the RNC years ago but came out big time for BLM last year...so Democrat or Independent. It doesn't seem possible to win the GOP nod without casting off BLM.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I always had the vibe that he was more towards the right, but shrug. There really should be requirements for the most powerful job in the world. Like I don't know at least SOME experience in government. :lol: It's freaking harder to qualify to be an IT dude in a state job for NJ.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Little Raven wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:54 pm
Octavious wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:51 pmI'd take the Rock over pretty much any other Republican... So ya... Totally could happen.
Well, sure. But we got Trump because a significant number of Republicans preferred him over any other Republican. So the question is...would you take the Rock over Yang, or Harris, or Buttigieg?
Yang I honestly don't know much about. The other 2 no I would prefer someone that has actual experience like they have, but I wouldn't be curled in a ball like I was the last 4 years. :lol:

Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Its like we are forcing this to some true

Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Little Raven wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:38 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:30 pm I look forward to seeing Chris Rock and Kid Rock in the cabinet.
Jokes aside, though, I wonder - how vulnerable is either party to celebrity takeover at the moment?

Obviously, the GOP was VERY primed for such an action - but I don't think Trump is the sharing type, so presumably that ground is off limits for the moment. But could a similar thing work on the Dems? Bernie tried, but ended up falling well short. But Bernie's star power is obviously quite limited next to someone like Johnson.
I don't think Bernie counts as a "celebrity takeover." He's a prominent Senator, and he's technically not a Dem, but he's very much inside the power structure. A takeover would have to be by an outsider, and probably a non-politician.

I won't say the Dems aren't vulnerable; Arnold and Franken come to mind as celebrities who gained office, so I can imagine some other entertainer making a dark-horse run at the presidency, and even gaining some traction. It's harder for me to imagine the Dem electorate rallying behind a charismatic outsider because Dems are more diverse -- they won't fall for the same kind of charisma.
Little Raven wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:54 pm So the question is...would you take the Rock over Yang, or Harris, or Buttigieg?
At one point there were, what, 24 Dems seeking the nom? And it finally went to the old white careerist. I'm not sure what that says about Dems...maybe that seniority and experience matter? *I* wouldn't take the Rock over any of those that you mentioned, but I'm always looking for the smartest, hardest-working, most authentic of the lot...which led me to Warren, who would've lost bigly to trump, so maybe I don't know best. I suppose I'd let the Rock (or any other celeb) make his case the same as anyone else, and if he convinces me he's the smartest, hardest-working, most genuine of the lot, I'll choose wrong again. :)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kraken wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:42 pm
Little Raven wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:38 pm

I don't think Bernie counts as a "celebrity takeover." He's a prominent Senator, and he's technically not a Dem, but he's very much inside the power structure. A takeover would have to be by an outsider, and probably a non-politician.

I won't say the Dems aren't vulnerable; Arnold and Franken come to mind as celebrities who gained office, so I can imagine some other entertainer making a dark-horse run at the presidency, and even gaining some traction. It's harder for me to imagine the Dem electorate rallying behind a charismatic outsider because Dems are more diverse -- they won't fall for the same kind of charisma.
Little Raven wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:54 pm So the question is...would you take the Rock over Yang, or Harris, or Buttigieg?
At one point there were, what, 24 Dems seeking the nom? And it finally went to the old white careerist. I'm not sure what that says about Dems...maybe that seniority and experience matter? *I* wouldn't take the Rock over any of those that you mentioned, but I'm always looking for the smartest, hardest-working, most authentic of the lot...which led me to Warren, who would've lost bigly to trump, so maybe I don't know best. I suppose I'd let the Rock (or any other celeb) make his case the same as anyone else, and if he convinces me he's the smartest, hardest-working, most genuine of the lot, I'll choose wrong again. :)
Neither Arnold nor Franken ran for President. They ran for a lesser office first (and Arnold couldn't). IMHO, Franken would have been a solid candidate in 2020. Arnold was a business Republican, but solid on environmental and most social issues.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:57 pm A big key to Trump's success was his willingness to say the quiet (racist) parts out loud after years of GOP dog whistles. Plus the GOP "winner take all" primary structure and a fractured field. At least the first two of those probably wouldn't be true in 2028 (which is the soonest year he could plausibly run). I'm not sure what large group of under-targeted Democratic voters there are that he would be appealing to.

I guess I'm assuming that he'd be running as a Democrat - do we know?

I'm also assuming that this is talking about him running straight for President, instead of like running for governor or something first. If he ran for governor or the Senate with the goal of running for President later - that could plausibly succeed (see, e.g., Reagan).
Trump's takeover was also predicated not just on open racism but on Republican contempt for governing. Trump's pitch that "Washington is broken and only I can fix it" wasn't successful because anyone believed Donald Trump could actually make government effective but because of the Reaganite faith that government is the problem and that it should be short-circuited.

The Dems are less likely to make a celebrity into a politician than to make a politician into a celebrity. (This is where the Bernie example is relevant, but AOC is more likely to pull it off.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Not sure if this was disclosed but Johnson has a new sitcom about to air that is based on his real life at different periods and at some point in the show he decides to run for President. This has gotten folks ruminating but it was intended to be funny.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:56 pm Neither Arnold nor Franken ran for President. They ran for a lesser office first (and Arnold couldn't). IMHO, Franken would have been a solid candidate in 2020. Arnold was a business Republican, but solid on environmental and most social issues.
I only offered those examples as evidence that Dem voters sometimes get stars in their eyes, not as presidential material. Hell, I'd vote for Amy Poehler based on what she did for Pawnee.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Tao wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:37 pm Not sure if this was disclosed but Johnson has a new sitcom about to air that is based on his real life at different periods and at some point in the show he decides to run for President. This has gotten folks ruminating but it was intended to be funny.
Some point in the show = the opening scene.
Hodor.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Makes no sense, but this (XTC song/video) is all I can think of when I see the subject line.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I still can’t believe that no one has posted the SNL “The Rock Obama” sketch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I, for one, hope you never have to update the thread title. I mean, I generally like the guy, but I don't want him running the country unless there's a whole lot about him I don't know that would change my mind.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's pretty clear the United States needs a figurehead position - someone elected by the people every few years to just act as a USA brand ambassador. They can show up to major corporate functions (like a ground breaking ceremony), major league sporting events and maybe have a pet project they focus on. Here, they're using their celebrity to draw attention. They're not using their celebrity to encourage insurrection or influence politicians to pass hate legislation in Congress.

And then we can all get depressed that by some significant order of magnitude, more people vote for this position than the President.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Kraken wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:38 am
Pyperkub wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:56 pm Neither Arnold nor Franken ran for President. They ran for a lesser office first (and Arnold couldn't). IMHO, Franken would have been a solid candidate in 2020. Arnold was a business Republican, but solid on environmental and most social issues.
I only offered those examples as evidence that Dem voters sometimes get stars in their eyes, not as presidential material. Hell, I'd vote for Amy Poehler based on what she did for Pawnee.
That's really only one example, though, as Arnold was Republican (don't know if he still identifies as R, but I'm guessing he may have changed).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:03 am
That's really only one example, though, as Arnold was Republican (don't know if he still identifies as R, but I'm guessing he may have changed).
AFAIK, Arnold still identifies as Republican (an anti-Trump Republican, at least).
Hodor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:58 am It's pretty clear the United States needs a figurehead position - someone elected by the people every few years to just act as a USA brand ambassador. They can show up to major corporate functions (like a ground breaking ceremony), major league sporting events and maybe have a pet project they focus on. Here, they're using their celebrity to draw attention. They're not using their celebrity to encourage insurrection or influence politicians to pass hate legislation in Congress.

And then we can all get depressed that by some significant order of magnitude, more people vote for this position than the President.
Enlarge Image
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hmmm, maybe more like Emperor Norton, Protector of Mexico.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:48 am
AFAIK, Arnold still identifies as Republican (an anti-Trump Republican, at least).
Well aware, and while he was Gov, he definitely showed those colors - it wasn't all sunshine and roses and cigar tents. Specifically, he had a package of initiatives to "clean up" political donations, except it was solely targeted at Unions, and did nothing about other donations and primarily existed to cripple Democrats rather than make the systems better. Additionally, it wasn't until Gov Brown took over that CA fixed the financial issues it was having, and which had led to Arnold's ascension. He also spearheaded an effort to sell Gov property and lease it back under the guise of balancing the budget. Rent-seeking giveaways FTW!

But, he was solid on the Environment and some other areas that the GOP generally isn't (and wasn't at the time), and as best I could tell, ran a clean administration.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I doubt he has further political ambitions, but assuming he did the problem is probably more that the R electorate has moved so far to the right that they no longer consider him one.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

gbasden wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:09 pm
I doubt he has further political ambitions, but assuming he did the problem is probably more that the R electorate has moved so far to the right that they no longer consider him one.
Arnold is pretty limited in what his ambitions would be - he could go to Congress, but he couldn't be POTUS.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:25 pm
pr0ner wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:48 am
Well aware, and while he was Gov, he definitely showed those colors - it wasn't all sunshine and roses and cigar tents. Specifically, he had a package of initiatives to "clean up" political donations, except it was solely targeted at Unions, and did nothing about other donations and primarily existed to cripple Democrats rather than make the systems better. Additionally, it wasn't until Gov Brown took over that CA fixed the financial issues it was having, and which had led to Arnold's ascension. He also spearheaded an effort to sell Gov property and lease it back under the guise of balancing the budget. Rent-seeking giveaways FTW!

But, he was solid on the Environment and some other areas that the GOP generally isn't (and wasn't at the time), and as best I could tell, ran a clean administration.
He certainly wasn't perfect, but you did feel like he gave an honest effort at the job. Unlike plenty of other R's we know these days.
Hodor.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

gbasden wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:09 pm
His sword video after the Capitol Invasion led me to hope that he will be working to fix the GOP. Thus far, that has been limited to supporting vaccination efforts, as best I can tell. I hope he'll do more (specifically, bringing sanity to CA GOP strongholds that elect Nunes and McCarthy), but we're still waiting on that. However:
When Los Angeles announced people 65 and older were eligible, Governor Schwarzenegger called his doctors at both Cedars and UCLA. They told him they weren’t ready yet but he could try the county.
He went on the county website. I don’t want to pretend this part is easy. This was so frustrating he called me to see if I would have any luck. I did not. The website is not easy to use and an embarrassment for a county that is home to Snapchat. But after an hour, he called back: it worked. He had an appointment for 8:50 the next day at Dodger Stadium. It was not close to easy, but he would tell you it was worth it.
I knew he planned to film his vaccination as a social media PSA, so I asked him if he’d like his security guy or me to reach out to the officials at Dodger Stadium ahead of time. He said no, he wanted to see how the process went for everyone.
This shows far more character than most GOP voices with regards to the vaccine.

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:58 am It's pretty clear the United States needs a figurehead position - someone elected by the people every few years to just act as a USA brand ambassador. They can show up to major corporate functions (like a ground breaking ceremony), major league sporting events and maybe have a pet project they focus on. Here, they're using their celebrity to draw attention. They're not using their celebrity to encourage insurrection or influence politicians to pass hate legislation in Congress.
It’s funny: That’s kind of how I view the President now!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hah, my bad. I thought he was a D because of his unkind words for Florida Man.