The Biden Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

YellowKing

Re: The Biden Presidency Thread

Post by YellowKing »

It was refreshing to read the fact-checking of Biden's speech this morning and the most egregious "falsehood" they could find was Biden's claim of 65% of Americans over the age of 65 having had their first shot, when in fact the actual percentage was 62.4%. :D
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:59 am It was refreshing to read the fact-checking of Biden's speech this morning and the most egregious "falsehood" they could find was Biden's claim of 65% of Americans over the age of 65 having had their first shot, when in fact the actual percentage was 62.4%. :D
Always exaggerating just like the other guy. Both sides!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Haaland confirmed - 51 to 40. Good lord. It took 240 years to get a native American cabinet secretary and she probably got 1 GOP vote. I can't find the vote breakdown yet as I am curious who it was.

Edit: It was 4 GOP yes votes - Graham, Murkowski, Collins, and Sullivan. I had heard Murkowski and Sullivan were under a lot of pressure from native Americans in Alaska. It seems to have paid off.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Tucker Carlson tonight, probably: "Is Biden Literally Surrendering America to Cannibal Savages??"
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

What's the deal with nine senators not voting?
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:45 am What's the deal with nine senators not voting?
The only winning move is not to play.
~Wargames
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:59 am It was refreshing to read the fact-checking of Biden's speech this morning and the most egregious "falsehood" they could find was Biden's claim of 65% of Americans over the age of 65 having had their first shot, when in fact the actual percentage was 62.4%. :D
I saw a short bit of his speech yesterday and he said something like he spoken with 150 mayors and all the governors except one. I could hear the chorus of "Liar! He spoken with 147 mayors!!!"

Trump would have said, "all the mayor are saying this is great!" after speaking to one.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump would've then added that every single person who had received a shot was saying that he was the greatest president since Lincoln. And in many cases, they were saying he was better.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:33 am Trump would have said, "all the mayor are saying this is great!" after speaking to one.
"Nobody has ever talked to as many mayors as I have."
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

President Joe Biden on Tuesday said he supports changing the Senate's filibuster rule by bringing back the talking filibuster, requiring a senator who wants to block legislation to hold the floor without taking a break.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/16/politics ... index.html
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:45 am What's the deal with nine senators not voting?
About half got stuck in their home stares due to the big snow storms that just rolled through. Both of the WY and CO Senators were impacted.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Ah, that makes sense. Should've noticed where they were from. Isn't there some mechanism to voting remotely or in absentia?
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:49 am Ah, that makes sense. Should've noticed where they were from. Isn't there some mechanism to voting remotely or in absentia?
What century do you think the Senate is working in???? Of course not.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

The Senate actually discussed proxy or remote voting for COVID-19 and decided it changed the character of the Senate too much. They still cling to their absolute bullshit about 'The World's Greatest Deliberative Body'. The House did allow proxy voting and everyone started abusing it immediately. Recently a bunch of GOP members excused themselves due to COVID-19 and then went to CPAC while their votes were cast by colleagues. They then went to talk down the pandemic.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

House Republicans on Wednesday voted to reverse their conference-wide ban on earmarks, according to two sources familiar with the vote, marking a change after the spending practice had been banned for a decade.

The vote, which was conducted via secret ballot, happened as Democrats are preparing to allow earmarks in upcoming spending and infrastructure legislation. Earmarks allow members to directly put into a bill where they want a specific amount of money to go.
While many members of the Republican Conference stood and spoke in the meeting in opposition to overturning the ban, the GOP would be at a distinct disadvantage in negotiations over spending bills in the future if they did not allow earmarks.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/17/politics ... index.html
Holman

Post by Holman »

Putin invited to Biden to debate him in public after Biden called Putin a "killer."

Today conservatives (including some elected ones) are trying to get #ChickenJoe trending because they want to endorse Putin's implication that Biden is scared of him.

I guess they've forgotten that:

1) No American president would ever accept an invitation to debate a foreign leader, let alone an autocratic gangster;
2) Biden has the courage (unlike some people) to call Putin out for his autocratic tactics and bounties on Americans;
3) Endorsing a hostile power's leader against your own would have been unthinkable just years ago;
4) Trump totally chickened out of a debate with Biden during the 2020 presidential campaign.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The fucktard brigade's got nothin':

Economy = stronger than Florida Man
Covid relief package = done
Covid Vaccinations = faster than promised
Confidence restored with allies

So he refuses an unprecedented debate with a foreign dictator - Worse than Benghazi!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Biden tripped on the stairs going into Air Force One. That'll be a story for the beginning of the week at least.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

He tripped, repeatedly.

To me, it’s not if you fall down - it’s that you pick yourself back up.

:wink: :P :D
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

He tripped on the green screen border.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

He should just make a TikTok demonstrating his ability to open and close an umbrella if he wants to take an easy shot back at the usual suspects.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

He runs everywhere trying not to appear old and tired, and this is what happens when you try to hurry and run and you're old and tired. It's why you don't see a lot of 80 year olds running up and down stairs.

STOP RUNNING, JOE! We already know you're old, and voted for you anyway!

In order of AF1 falling awesomeness:
1. Gerald Ford - probably won't be topped. Evar.
2. Biden. Pretty damn bad.
3. Reagan - meh. It was ok, but I don't think anyone was wondering if he was actually hurt like 1. and 2. above.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I totally agree. Stop rushing to appear younger. It wont work anyways. If you watch his left foot seems crooked before even going up the stairs. I wonder if thats the one he broke playing with the dog? Also on first stumble he should have taken his time and got up and walked up. You never saw the orange one try and run.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:54 pm Biden tripped on the stairs going into Air Force One. That'll be a story for the beginning of the week at least.
As predicted.

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/20/politics ... index.html
This headline cracks me up......
"How the border problem caught the Biden team off guard"......

Border issues?????
We had no idea there were border issues.
The big bad orange man left us no notes about the border issues.

Oh wait.....
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/border ... ome-debate

Where's the outrage over this? I thought Biden had a plan and was going to make it all better and more humanitarian?
Doe this look humanitarian to you?

This is progress?

A good report on the issue:
https://www.fullcourtgreta.com/video/20 ... community/
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

There's a problem that is developing, and Biden shouldn't ignore it, although, as usual, it is being being exaggerated by the right/Fox News commentators.

Also, apparently some on the right think treating humans humanely is a bad thing.

(Edit: And that to address illegal immigration, you must act inhumanely)

Last edited by Defiant on Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Defiant wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:42 pm
Also, apparently some on the right think treating humans humanely is a bad thing.
That was my first reaction. :oops:
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

stimpy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:12 pmWhere's the outrage over this? I thought Biden had a plan and was going to make it all better and more humanitarian?
There's outrage, it's just impossible to steer a freight barge like a speed boat. Some shit just takes time. I doubt they could erect proper facilities overnight - or even over a couple months. I don't know if there are even plans.

What I have heard is that because Florida Man was such a horror show and seemed to revel in the misery of migrants, lots of folks opted to try and grit their teeth to wait him out. Now that he's out, there's a flood. I've also heard about larger numbers of children showing up without parents because parents thought it might give them a better shot.

Know that feeling when your back teeth are floating and you're 50 feet from a toilet? That was the last few months of Florida Man's horror-show.

I'm sorry for these kids, and everyone else. We do have processes that need to be followed, and reform doesn't happen overnight. Have you asked why the law makers haven't addressed it, or are you just seething at Creepy Joe in particular? Don't forget that he's operating upstream against obstructive GOP members who want to demonstrate his failures by making them happen and 4 years of shit culture spawned across several agencies under Florida Man's lazy eyes.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paingod wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:32 pm
stimpy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:12 pmWhere's the outrage over this? I thought Biden had a plan and was going to make it all better and more humanitarian?
There's outrage, it's just impossible to steer a freight barge like a speed boat. Some shit just takes time. I doubt they could erect proper facilities overnight - or even over a couple months. I don't know if there are even plans.
People are really being spun by Republicans on this. They are selling us outrage because the problems aren't instantly fixed and somehow he has already made them worse. That is not reasonable based on the facts we know. This is endemic of our broken political culture. They yell, the media runs the story, and people suddenly say there is a crisis. Instead it is clear we've had a multiple reoccurring set of crises for decades.

And you're right - there is no plan. We don't even talk about the root cause of problems anymore. Anyone thinking that this is a Obama, Trump, or Biden issue is not getting the scale here. Ultimately the problem is in Congress. Congress hasn't meaningfully acted on this problem since Reagan and that was just a reset. Multiple Presidencies have cobbled together EO based frameworks to try to deal with this worsening problem. We took a token swipe at it in the aftermath of 9/11 when they built out Homeland and made a bad system (INS-based) into the terrible fundamentally broken agency (ICE) which is just loaded up with bad ideas and even worse results.

That said, criticizing Biden for treating them like people makes me sick to my stomach. These aren't vermin. They are human fucking beings. Why are they sleeping on the floor? Because Congress won't appropriate better facilities. Why are our processes so broken? Congress. Do we have a national strategy for migrant workers? Nope. That is on Congress. It is Congress most of the way down here. It is just a symptom of our broken politics.
Last edited by malchior on Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

There is also a certain amount of cruelty just built into the immigration laws, built around the fact that demand for immigration to the United States significantly exceeds supply in terms of immigration visas. Trump absolutely leaned into the cruelty (and to a degree Trump's rhetoric was an implicit authorization for ICE agents to do so if they were so inclined), but even if you're being humane, enforcing the laws on the books inherently means detaining a lot of poor families (many with children) looking for a better life and forcing them to go back home.

Any real long-term fix on immigration would almost necessarily involve: (1) dramatically increasing the amount of yearly legal immigration to the U.S.; and (2) creating some type of seasonal worker visa. But there's little political will to do those things, so the problem continues to fester.
Black Lives Matter.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I think the fact that it's been an influx of children only complicates matters.
How do you handle minors from other countries differently than you handle those from your own?
Children here have little to no say in making decisions for themselves.
What do you do with kids from other countries that may be being used and sent here for nefarious reasons?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Carpet_pissr

The Biden Presidency Thread

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Nefarious reasons? Like what? Raping and pillaging?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya um what do you think the kids are being sent alone for? Spoiler it's so bad that they are abandoning them in our country. There's no other plan aside from that. It's incredibly sad that people are that desperate. But screw them for being born on the other side of an imaginary line.
Last edited by Octavious on Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:04 pm Nefarious reasons? Like what? Raping and pillaging?
Drug smuggling and human trafficking.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stimpy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:41 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:04 pm Nefarious reasons? Like what? Raping and pillaging?
What percentage of immigrant children do you think are here for drug smuggling and human trafficking, ballpark?
Black Lives Matter.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:46 pm
What percentage of immigrant children do you think are here for drug smuggling and human trafficking, ballpark?
14.38975398%
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

According to Fox News...

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

stimpy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:49 pm
14.38975398%
Joke evidence means a joke accusation. Thanks for clarifying.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

What should we do about kids who are smuggled into the American heartland from planets orbiting a dying star, who might be coming here to one day become superheroes?
Black Lives Matter.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

The unwillingness to even consider that not every single unaccompanied child that made their way to the border, 11,000 in the last few weeks, according to CNN, not Fox, is doing so by their own free will is mind boggling.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/22/politics ... index.html

Gotta love this quote "The Biden administration has pushed back against characterizing the flow of migrants as a "crisis," maintaining instead that it's a challenge.".

It's amazing to me that Biden has done absolutely everything prefect so far and any issues that he faces are due to Trump or coronavirus or any other number of excuses.

Find one post, just one, in this thread that is even just a little tiny bit critical of anything that Biden has done or said or not done or not said.

Yeah, yeah...not Trump, anything is better than Trump.....blah blah.

We do still have to live with the consequences of the Government that was chosen.
Lucky for all of you that they are so great that none of that matters anymore because....you know....Trump.
He/Him/His/Porcupine