School-Opening Extortion

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Anonymous Bosch

School-Opening Extortion

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

School-Opening Extortion

(URL is paywalled, so I suggest installing the relevant Bypass Paywalls extension: Firefox version, Chrome version)
WSJ.com wrote:School-Opening Extortion
Teachers unions are using Covid-19 as a political weapon.

For most Americans the coronavirus is a scourge. But teachers unions seem to think it’s also an opportunity—to squeeze more money from taxpayers and put their private and public charter school competition out of business. That’s the only way to read the extraordinary effort by national and local union leaders to keep their members from returning to the classroom.

Last week Randi Weingarten, leader of the powerful American Federation of Teachers, declared support for “safety strikes” if local unions deem insufficient the steps their school districts are taking to mitigate Covid-19. And on Monday an alliance of teachers unions and progressive groups sponsored what they called a “national day of resistance” around the country listing their demands before returning to the classroom. They include:

“• Support for our communities and families, including canceling rents and mortgages, a moratorium on evictions/foreclosures, providing direct cash assistance to those not able to work or who are unemployed, and other critical social needs

• Moratorium on new charter or voucher programs and standardized testing

• Massive infusion of federal money to support the reopening funded by taxing billionaires and Wall Street”

The phrase for this is political extortion. Rather than work to open schools safely, the unions are issuing ultimatums and threatening strikes until they are granted their ideological wish list. Children, who would have to endure more lost instruction, are their hostages.

These public unions are also lobbying their political allies to keep public charter and private schools closed. On Friday the chief health officer for Maryland’s Montgomery County, Travis Gayles, ordered private schools to remain closed until Oct. 1.

The order came in spite of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention saying that reopening schools with in-person instruction is a step toward improving public health—especially for low-income and minority children. The order was a slap to the many schools that are moving heaven and earth to reopen within the CDC guidelines.

The good news is that Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan on Monday overruled the commissioner. In an amended emergency order, he limited the ability of local health officials to impose “blanket closure” mandates, emphasizing that Maryland’s plan is built on local flexibility. He also took a stand for equal opportunity: “Private and parochial schools deserve the same opportunity and flexibility to make reopening decisions based on public health guidelines.” This is a victory for common sense, but it’s also too rare.

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy has said that if public schools are remote-only, private schools must be too. In Milwaukee, private schools planning to reopen were blindsided by a state order that no schools can do so until the city meets certain benchmarks. In California, Gov. Gavin Newsom has laid out new guidelines that will prevent private and public schools from reopening until the state declares they can.

“It’s truly a tale of two worlds,” says the Center for Education Reform’s Jeanne Allen. “On the one hand the teachers unions are rallying their members in places like Massachusetts and Chicago to boycott school openings until their demands are met. On the other hand, there are hundreds of schools that each day are announcing their plans to reopen and the steps they are taking to get their kids learning again.”

Public schools are funded whether they open or not. But private and religious schools, which rely on tuition and donations, don’t have that luxury. The Cato Institute’s Center for Educational Freedom reckons that 107 private and religious schools have been shut down permanently at least partly due to Covid-19. New York’s Catholic archdiocese has announced the closure of 20 schools.

The teachers unions have a cynical interest in forcing their competitors to shut down. What a humiliation it would be if charter and private schools reopen and demonstrate that in-person education can be done with the right risk mitigation. Or if parents unsatisfied with the public schools’ response to the coronavirus decide a private school would be better for their child.

If there’s a silver lining here, it’s that Americans are getting a closer look at the true, self-interested character of today’s teachers unions. They are allies of the political left. And they wield monopoly power that they are now using to coerce parents and taxpayers to dance to their agenda if they want their children to learn.

The proper political response should be to give taxpayer dollars to parents to decide where and how to educate their children. If parents want to use the money for private schools that are open, or for new forms of home instruction, they should have that right. No political force should have veto power over the education of America’s children.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
El Guapo

Re: School-Opening Extortion

Post by El Guapo »

I hesitate to feed the troll here, BUT it is striking to talk about "school-opening extortion" without talking about the Arizona school superintendent who is being forced to reopen school under conditions he knows are unsafe under threat of losing necessary funding.
This is my choice, but I’m starting to wish that it wasn’t. I don’t feel qualified. I’ve been a superintendent for 20 years, so I guess I should be used to making decisions, but I keep getting lost in my head. I’ll be in my office looking at a blank computer screen, and then all of the sudden I realize a whole hour’s gone by. I’m worried. I’m worried about everything. Each possibility I come up with is a bad one.

The governor has told us we have to open our schools to students on August 17th, or else we miss out on five percent of our funding. I run a high-needs district in middle-of-nowhere Arizona. We’re 90 percent Hispanic and more than 90 percent free-and-reduced lunch. These kids need every dollar we can get. But covid is spreading all over this area and hitting my staff, and now it feels like there’s a gun to my head. I already lost one teacher to this virus. Do I risk opening back up even if it’s going to cost us more lives? Or do we run school remotely and end up depriving these kids?

This is your classic one-horse town. Picture John Wayne riding through cactuses and all that. I’m superintendent, high school principal and sometimes the basketball referee during recess. This is a skeleton staff, and we pay an average salary of about 40,000 a year. I’ve got nothing to cut. We’re buying new programs for virtual learning and trying to get hotspots and iPads for all our kids. Five percent of our budget is hundreds of thousands of dollars. Where’s that going to come from? I might lose teaching positions or basic curriculum unless we somehow get up and running.

I’ve been in the building every day, sanitizing doors and measuring out space in classrooms. We still haven’t received our order of Plexiglas barriers, so we’re cutting up shower curtains and trying to make do with that. It’s one obstacle after the next. Just last week I found out we had another staff member who tested positive, so I went through the guidance from OSHA and the CDC and tried to figure out the protocols. I’m not an expert at any of this, but I did my best with the contact tracing. I called 10 people on staff and told them they’d had a possible exposure. I arranged separate cars and got us all to the testing site. Some of my staff members were crying. They’ve seen what can happen, and they’re coming to me with questions I can’t always answer. “Does my whole family need to get tested?” “How long do I have to quarantine?” “What if this virus hits me like it did Mrs. Byrd?”

We got back two of those tests already — both positive. We’re still waiting on eight more. That makes 11 percent of my staff that’s gotten covid, and we haven’t had a single student in our buildings since March. Part of our facility is closed down for decontamination, but we don’t have anyone left to decontaminate it unless I want to put on my hazmat suit and go in there. We’ve seen the impacts of this virus on our maintenance department, on transportation, on food service, on faculty. It’s like this district is shutting down case by case. I don’t understand how anyone could expect us to reopen the building this month in a way that feels safe. It’s like they’re telling us: “Okay. Summer’s over. It’s been long enough. Time to get back to normal.” But since when has this virus operated on our schedule?

I dream about going back to normal. I’d love to be open. These kids are hurting right now. I don’t need a politician to tell me that. We only have 300 students in this district, and they’re like family. My wife is a teacher here, and we had four kids go through these schools. I know whose parents are laid off from the copper mine and who doesn’t have enough to eat. We delivered breakfast and lunches this summer, and we gave out more meals each day than we have students. I get phone calls from families dealing with poverty issues, depression, loneliness, boredom. Some of these kids are out in the wilderness right now, and school is the best place for them. We all agree on that. But every time I start to play out what that looks like on August 17th, I get sick to my stomach. More than a quarter of our students live with grandparents. These kids could very easily catch this virus, spread it and bring it back home. It’s not safe. There’s no way it can be safe.

If you think anything else, I’m sorry, but it’s a fantasy. Kids will get sick, or worse. Family members will die. Teachers will die.

Mrs. Byrd did everything right. She followed all the protocols. If there’s such a thing as a safe, controlled environment inside a classroom during a pandemic, that was it. We had three teachers sharing a room so they could teach a virtual summer school. They were so careful. This was back in June, when cases here were starting to spike. The kids were at home, but the teachers wanted to be together in the classroom so they could team up on the new technology. I thought that was a good idea. It’s a big room. They could watch and learn from each other. Mrs. Byrd was a master teacher. She’d been here since 1982, and she was always coming up with creative ideas. They delivered care packages to the elementary students so they could sprout beans for something hands-on at home, and then the teachers all took turns in front of the camera. All three of them wore masks. They checked their temperatures. They taught on their own devices and didn’t share anything, not even a pencil.

At first she thought it was a sinus infection. That’s what the doctor told her, but it kept getting worse. I got a call that she’d been rushed to the hospital. Her oxygen was low, and they put her on a ventilator pretty much right away. The other two teachers started feeling sick the same weekend, so they went to get tested. They both had it bad for the next month. Mrs. Byrd’s husband got it and was hospitalized. Her brother got it and passed away. Mrs. Byrd fought for a few weeks until she couldn’t anymore.

I’ve gone over it in my head a thousand times. What precautions did we miss? What more could I have done? I don’t have an answer. These were three responsible adults in an otherwise empty classroom, and they worked hard to protect each other. We still couldn’t control it. That’s what scares me.

We got the whole staff together for grief counseling. We did it virtually, over Zoom. There’s sadness, and it’s also so much fear. My wife is one of our teachers in the primary grade, and she has asthma. She was explaining to me how every kid who sees her automatically gives her a hug. They arrive in the morning — hug. Leave for recess — hug. Lunch — hug. Locker — hug. That’s all day. Even if we do everything perfectly, germs are going to spread inside a school. We share the same space. We share the same air.

A bunch of our teachers have told me they will put in for retirement if we open up this month. They’re saying: “Please don’t make us go back. This is crazy. We’re putting the whole community at risk.”

They’re right. I agree with them 100 percent. Teachers don’t feel safe. Most parents said in a survey that they’re “very concerned” about sending their kids back to school. So why are we getting bullied into opening? This district isn’t ready to open. I can’t have more people getting sick. Why are they threatening our funding? I keep waiting for someone higher up to take this decision out of my hands and come to their senses. I’m waiting for real leadership, but maybe it’s not going to happen.

It’s me. It’s the biggest decision of my career, and the one part I’m certain about is it’s going to hurt either way.
Last edited by El Guapo on Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

tl;dr:
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

"Extortion"

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

For as long as I can remember, public schools have been chronically underfunded and teachers have been underpaid. Prior to the pandemic, standardized testing created problems in many areas.

I honestly don't see this "extortion" as a problem. Teachers are asking for the tools to do their jobs, the ability to do it safely, the money to bring in talented people, and the support to do it well. I don't blame them at all for wanting to seize on an opportunity of this magnitude to try and correct some very long-standing issues.

Falling back on CDC recommendations when they're basically hamstrung, gagged and muzzled by the executive branch that's completely bungled the pandemic response doesn't really inspire me with confidence in their ability to release sustainable guidelines. There isn't any "one-size-fits-all" solution to how to re-open schools, but there's a pretty solid consensus that trying to do it without funding to support the extra requirements is madness.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:34 am "Extortion"
So much this.
the only way to read the extraordinary effort by national and local union leaders to keep their members from returning to the classroom.
What of the extraordinary effort of disinterested and uninformed politicians to say "schools will be open" with zero regard for what we believe we collectively know about the spread of this virus, the health of students, educational professionals, and the shared responsibility in every community for containment? The GOP threw in the "open schools" chip with reckless abandon and then complain when the labor expected to be socialized under duress and silent go "um, wait a moment."

Also is weird that I have seen the "open schools" as a political attack meant to weaken the institution of public schooling?

So I see...
Teachers unions are using Covid-19 as a political weapon.
as
Teachers unions are reacting to the use of Covid-19 as a political weapon.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Looks like extortion to me.
In Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and many other countries, SCHOOLS ARE OPEN WITH NO PROBLEMS. The Dems think it would be bad for them politically if U.S. schools open before the November Election, but is important for the children & families. May cut off funding if not open! Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If only the teachers were entertaining to watch. Then we could set up spray booths and have them walk through a mist of nano-crystals that will protect them and the kids from the virus as they enter the building each day.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

and put their private and public charter school competition out of business.
The angle is right there in the beginning.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Anonymous Bosch

Holman wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:31 am tl;dr:

So what? Just because the Orange Man tweets something does not dogmatically imply the opposite must be true. Besides, the WSJ op-ed specifically advocates for greater local educational flexibility rather than promoting a one-size-fits-all mandatory approach across the nation as a whole.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:30 am I hesitate to feed the troll here
I think that's really unfair. AB clearly holds positions contrary to the majority of the board here, but he's not a dump-and-run poster and he'll engage respectfully. Frankly, this is the kind of comment that gives credence to the idea that you can't go against the group-think on OO.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:13 am
I think that's really unfair. AB clearly holds positions contrary to the majority of the board here, but he's not a dump-and-run poster and he'll engage respectfully. Frankly, this is the kind of comment that gives credence to the idea that you can't go against the group-think on OO.
+1. I've known more than a few "all tax is theft" libertarians and bumper sticker conservatives and AB has never struck as either.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ok, that's probably fair. I suppose I think of AB more as generally "politically crazy" and less as a troll, FWIW, though that's obviously a matter of personal perspective.
Black Lives Matter.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:59 am If only the teachers were entertaining to watch.
I dunno, you would think opening schools in a pandemic that puts teachers (and kids and families with kids) at risk might be "entertaining". Like watching a train wreck is "entertaining".
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:23 am
Ok, that's probably fair. I suppose I think of AB more as generally "politically crazy" and less as a troll, FWIW, though that's obviously a matter of personal perspective.
It appears the WSJ editorial board might be politically crazy. I browsed through the list of recent editorials and, for the most part, ick.

My bias is clearly in action here though.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

• Massive infusion of federal money to support the reopening funded by taxing billionaires and Wall Street”

The phrase for this is political extortion.
The phrase for that is "something we absolutely ought to do".
Last edited by Fretmute on Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:32 am
It appears the WSJ editorial board might be politically crazy. I browsed through the list of recent editorials and, for the most part, ick.

Oh yeah, the WSJ editorial board is 100% lunatics. It's why the WSJ reporters wrote a letter semi-recently asking the organization to put a clearer firewall between the news and op ed groups, so that the (really good) WSJ reporters don't have their reputations soiled by association.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:32 am It appears the WSJ editorial board might be politically crazy.
I tried to find out who they are and got
We speak for free markets and free people, the principles, if you will, marked in the watershed year of 1776 by Thomas Jefferson's Declaration of Independence and Adam Smith's “Wealth of Nations.” So over the past century and into the next, the Journal stands for free trade and sound money; against confiscatory taxation and the ukases of kings and other collectivists; and for individual autonomy against dictators, bullies and even the tempers of momentary majorities.
The subtext to me is Federalist Papers propagandists. And that I'd not engage with them on sophistry, where that bulk of the writing was the song and dance of the moment to advance dismantling public schools... And sure enough the punchline is:
The proper political response should be to give taxpayer dollars to parents to decide where and how to educate their children. If parents want to use the money for private schools that are open, or for new forms of home instruction, they should have that right. No political force should have veto power over the education of America’s children.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:08 am
Holman wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:31 am tl;dr:

So what? Just because the Orange Man tweets something does not dogmatically imply the opposite must be true. Besides, the WSJ op-ed specifically advocates for greater local educational flexibility rather than promoting a one-size-fits-all mandatory approach across the nation as a whole.
My wife is active in education politics, so she (and by extension I) have been very aware for years of the nuances of teacher politics. The notion that teachers are using their labor organization as a means for a cash-grab is insulting and laughable. It would be surprising only if the Right hadn't already spent decades making the same attack. At this point it is just tiresome, whether in a POTUS tweet or in the form of recycled op-ed boilerplate.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:32 am

The WSJ op ed board is definitely politically crazy. They are essentially Trumpist or far right-wing business uber alles. That their position is that teacher's using their bargaining power to "extort" is ridiculous. It is the free market at work.
WSJ wrote:We speak for free markets and free people, the principles, if you will, marked in the watershed year of 1776 by Thomas Jefferson's Declaration of Independence and Adam Smith's “Wealth of Nations.” So over the past century and into the next, the Journal stands for free trade and sound money; against confiscatory taxation and the ukases of kings and other collectivists; and for individual autonomy against dictators, bullies and even the tempers of momentary majorities.
This is my point - this is a free people using their power in a free market using contract law to attempt to ask for safe working conditions. How is this not those principles in action?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I've read a number of fair criticisms of teacher's unions. But "they are insisting that the government spend money on making school safe so that teachers and others don't die" is a weird battlefield to fight them on.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They don't consider collective bargaining by workers to be free trade.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:31 pm They don't consider collective bargaining by workers to be free trade.
Sure but it is a logically indefensible position.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Case in point for NJ private schools:
The exclusive preparatory school in Englewood charges tuition that reaches $47,680 for its middle and upper grades. It has a $10.5 million endowment, according to its most recent publicly available tax filing, and its head of school, Rodney De Jarnett, received a compensation package worth nearly $775,000 that year.

Yet as the coronavirus pandemic swept New Jersey, Dwight-Englewood turned to taxpayers for help in keeping its teachers and staff on the job. In April, it was granted a forgivable federal loan of $2 million to $5 million, under a stimulus program that aimed to reward small businesses that maintained their employees on the payroll as the outbreak shut down the economy.

Dwight-Englewood is by no means alone.

In New Jersey, 576 private, religious and charter schools were approved for Paycheck Protection Program loans, according to an NJ Advance Media analysis of data released last month by the Small Business Administration. That poured as much as $478 million into those schools as they dealt with unprecedented challenges as they closed their classrooms and shifted to online learning.
And public school teacher unions are extortionists? F the WSJ and their propaganda.
Enough

Post by Enough »

It's unfortunate that the rest of the our school opening discussions are now separate from the thread as there have been some great posts in the main COVID RP thread. In my experience, AB is one of the better posters on OO and is kind and thoughtful. However, calling teacher's using advocacy for COVID as extortion is a mighty stretch for the marketplace of ideas working as designed with what amounts to likely one of the highest at risk essential worker categories fighting for adequate workplace protections needed to provide safe instruction to millions and millions of members of our next generation of Americans.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Enough

Post by Enough »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:19 pm I've read a number of fair criticisms of teacher's unions. But "they are insisting that the government spend money on making school safe so that teachers and others don't die" is a weird battlefield to fight them on.
Tone deaf even.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

In my opinion,

every elementary or middle school teacher that has in person classes this year is basically guaranteed to get exposed and infected, unless the school is closed before the exposure reaches them. Covid is just too infectious in closed rooms, and children/pre-teens will not be able to maintain mask integrity all day every day for the months and months of the school year.

I am not even talking about family and friends, just the teachers themselves. I can image them in the staff meeting, looking at each other, knowing they are all likely to get infected, and wondering what percentage will die.

That is the job of Normandy soldiers about to hit the beach, not a bunch of elementary teachers. They are literally scared to death, scared OF death, and its not surprising they are pushing back.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:44 pm That is the job of Normandy soldiers about to hit the beach, not a bunch of elementary teachers. They are literally scared to death, scared OF death, and its not surprising they are pushing back.
^^^^^^^ Only I'd broaden it to all primary and secondary educational professionals. Bus drivers, student aids, nursing staff, administrative workers, infrastructure support staff, librarians.... Everybody... Maybe not crossing guards...
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:49 pm
Jaymon wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:44 pm That is the job of Normandy soldiers about to hit the beach, not a bunch of elementary teachers. They are literally scared to death, scared OF death, and its not surprising they are pushing back.
^^^^^^^ Only I'd broaden it to all primary and secondary educational professionals. Bus drivers, student aids, nursing staff, administrative workers, infrastructure support staff, librarians.... Everybody... Maybe not crossing guards...
Right. Cue Zeddemore "This job is definitely not worth $11,500 a year."
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:44 pm In my opinion,

every elementary or middle school teacher that has in person classes this year is basically guaranteed to get exposed and infected, unless the school is closed before the exposure reaches them. Covid is just too infectious in closed rooms, and children/pre-teens will not be able to maintain mask integrity all day every day for the months and months of the school year.

I am not even talking about family and friends, just the teachers themselves. I can image them in the staff meeting, looking at each other, knowing they are all likely to get infected, and wondering what percentage will die.

That is the job of Normandy soldiers about to hit the beach, not a bunch of elementary teachers. They are literally scared to death, scared OF death, and its not surprising they are pushing back.
Absolutely agree.

And their "solution" of simply shoveling tax dollars at parents so they can decide where to send their kids to school is just...gross. I'm sure that rich folks would love it (since they have their choice of eight different private schools in their area to begin with), but how would that even begin to translate for low-income areas where there is no such thing as "school choice"?

The rich would continue to get richer, and the poor would get even more fucked than they are now. But since that seems to be the driving force behind every conservative policy, I suppose it shouldn't be surprising.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:44 pm In my opinion,

My sister provides instruction to severely developmentally disabled kids for a local school district in a rural county that views COVID as a hoax and she is terrified about what to do. Many teachers she knows have quit to protect their health and those that can have found online teaching jobs. My sister has won numerous awards for her innovative methods on state and national levels and after more than a decade barely makes more than $50k a year as one of the best in her field. She's looking at quitting and taking another job that will be a $12k pay cut to protect the health of her family. I promise you her situation is not unique and there is a giant sucking sound from the brain drain leaving education. I don't think it's much of a stretch to call this current situation an existential threat to public education as we know it in the US. The US Congress and POTUS have been woefully inadequate overall in shoring up the resources needed for education (lower and upper) and local/state governments.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

People expected doctors,nurses and other front-line medical staff to work without adequate protection. You think they won't cry out for the teachers to do the same - for the children? How dare they ask for consideration! They're just being greedy extortionists in this desperate time of need for the rest of us.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Sigh,

I just finished a summer remote zoom with my student officers and all I can think is whether the accommodations are enough, was I too honest, did I sound callous, are they getting good info, do they understand the danger their families are in, do they feel safe enough, do they feel betrayed not being able to do theatre when talking heads are screaming FOR THE CHILDREN, am I going to get someones mom killed because I don't protest quit, are my wife's parents about to die, am I doing enough, what the fuck am I doing? We haven't even STARTED.

Then I poked my head in here. Thank you OO for explaining that this is a simple problem with clear moral answers and universal support. Sigh. I was having a good morning.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:44 pmEvery elementary or middle school teacher that has in person classes this year is basically guaranteed to get exposed and infected, unless the school is closed before the exposure reaches them. Covid is just too infectious in closed rooms, and children/pre-teens will not be able to maintain mask integrity all day every day for the months and months of the school year.

I've heard more than once that one of the important things that makes COVID-19 increasingly dangerous is viral load... the amount of the virus you're exposed to. Nurses and doctors can get whammed, but they have the advantage of gowns, gloves, masks, shields, etc. Teachers are going to be surrounded by a dozen or more super-spreaders on a daily basis with little more than a thin blue mask.

I've already seen one picture of a high school in Georgia that re-opened and the hallway is packed and there's maybe 20% mask compliance in the teens. The idea that kids will be able to comply with social distancing and mask requirements for more than 5 or 6 minutes is laughable.
Last edited by Paingod on Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya Georgia is going to explode in numbers in a couple of weeks. I can't believe how f'n dumb we can be all due to one freaking person. :grund:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Whoa. I swear I didn't read this before making my comments earlier:
What I don’t support is preemptively threatening “safety strikes,” as the American Federation of Teachers did in late July. These threats run counter to the fact that, by and large, school districts are already fine-tuning social-distancing measures and mandating mask-wearing. Teachers are not being asked to work without precautions, but some overlook this: the politics of mask-wearing have gotten so ridiculous that many seem to believe masks only protect other people, or are largely symbolic. They’re not. Nurses and doctors know that masks do a lot to keep us safe, and that other basics such as hand-washing and social distancing are effective at preventing the spread of the coronavirus.
I'm trying to make the jump here...asking medical staff to wear more PPE than they are typically wearing is in no way comparable to asking teachers and students to mask up to educate.
Instead of taking the summer to hone arguments against returning to the classroom, administrators and teachers should be thinking about how they can best support children and their families through a turbulent time. Schools are essential to the functioning of our society, and that makes teachers essential workers. They should rise to the occasion even if it makes them nervous, just like health-care workers have.
Or hear me out - maybe when it was clear there was no federal strategy to deal with this, we should have empowered schools to create fully remote plans back in June instead of expecting them to figure it out 2 weeks before the Fall school year started? Nah.
So I can understand that teachers are nervous about returning to school. But they should take a cue from their fellow essential workers and do their job. Even people who think there’s a fundamental difference between a nurse and a teacher in a pandemic must realize that there isn’t one between a grocery-store worker and a teacher, in terms of obligation. People who work at grocery stores in no way signed up to expose themselves to disease, but we expected them to go to work, and they did. If they had not, society would have collapsed. What do teachers think will happen if working parents cannot send their children to school? Life as we know it simply will not go on.
That's certainly...something. I'm kinda surprised to be reading this on The Atlantic and not Sean Hannity's fan blog, quite frankly.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I am not in favor of opening schools just for the sake of doing so or for political optics. Two of my sisters are school teachers, one in NJ the other in Staten Island so I have a personal stake in wanting to see teachers and students remain safe. Having said that, I am a little confused by a couple of lines from the original post;

• Support for our communities and families, including canceling rents and mortgages, a moratorium on evictions/foreclosures, providing direct cash assistance to those not able to work or who are unemployed, and other critical social needs

While I applaud the altruistic and communal sentiment how does canceling rent, mortgages, evictions and foreclosures or providing direct cash assistance (not even sure how that would work) ensure student and worker safety within the school?

• Moratorium on new charter or voucher programs and standardized testing

Similar question, what does standardized testing have to do with COVID?

Lastly, again I am all for an infusion of federal money in to the school systems, something that has been needed long before COVID but are they seriously demanding a special taxation on the wealthy to facilitate this?

Reading through the article I agree with many of the sentiments but it feels like they (the teachers union) are shooting themselves in the foot with some of the demands. Unless I am missing something which is more than possible.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
stessier

Post by stessier »

Tao wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:24 pm • Moratorium on new charter or voucher programs and standardized testing

Similar question, what does standardized testing have to do with COVID?
No one knows how well kids are going to be able to learn this year. Standardized testing results can severely impact a school. I think a one year moratorium would be fair. In my case, our county applied and I can't remember if it was state or federal that denied the request.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Back during the bubonic plague, teachers showed up to work just fine. Quit being a bunch of pansies.

But yeah, as much as I'd love to have my "free" 9-3 babysitting back, I don't know. My wife's a teacher in a, let's say, "lower income community", so that's basically going to be COVID central once school opens back up, even though they're doing a "hybrid model" or some bullshit like that. She's also decided to send our older daughter to a private school that's fully opening back up.

So basically, the more I read about it, the more I'm convinced that we're paying private school tuition just so that the school can shut down and go to remote learning within two weeks of the school year. With bonus coronavirus for us. Which, admittedly, is a moot point because my wife's going to bring it back from her school.

On the plus side, I might luck out and croak and not have to see my daughters have to deal with the collapse of civilization from climate change or fascism or whatever other horrible shit humanity cooks up in the next couple of decades.
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

There's no denying the prospect of reopening schools during a pandemic undoubtedly presents a serious challenge, though not necessarily an insurmountable one. The following article from the University of Richmond Assistant Professor of Education provides some useful insight in terms of how it was handled abroad and how we can learn from that here in the US:

How other countries reopened schools during the pandemic – and what the US can learn from them
Robert Spires wrote:As American school officials debate when it will be safe for schoolchildren to return to classrooms, looking abroad may offer insights. Nearly every country in the world shuttered their schools early in the COVID-19 pandemic. Many have since sent students back to class, with varying degrees of success.

I am a scholar of comparative international education. For this article, I examined what happened in four countries where K-12 schools either stayed open throughout the pandemic or have resumed in-person instruction, using press reports, national COVID-19 data and academic studies.

Here’s what I found.

Israel: Too much, too soon
Israel took stringent steps early on in the coronavirus pandemic, including severely restricting everyone’s movement and closing all schools. By June, it was being lauded internationally for containing the spread of COVID-19.

But shortly after schools reopened in May, on a staggered schedule paired with mask mandates and social distancing rules, COVID-19 cases surged across Israel. Schoolchildren and teachers were among the sick. Today, several hundred Israeli schools have closed again.

Some blame lax enforcement of health guidelines in schools. The weather didn’t help: In May, a record heat wave hit Israel, making masks uncomfortable for students to wear.

But schools were only part of a broader reopening in Israel that, many experts say, came too soon and without sufficient testing capacity.

“The reopening happened too fast,” said Mohammed Khatib, an epidemiologist on Israel’s national COVID-19 task force. “It was undertaken so quickly that it triggered a very sharp spike, and the return to more conservative measures came too little, much too late.”

Israel’s public health director, Siegal Sadetski, resigned in early July, saying the health ministry had ignored her warnings about reopening schools and businesses so rapidly.

Sweden: A hands-off approach
Schools never closed in Sweden, part of the Scandinavian country’s risky gamble on skipping a coronavirus lockdown. Only students 16 and older stayed home and did remote learning. Social distancing and masks were recommended but optional, in line with the Swedish government’s emphasis on personal choice.

This strategy earned praise from President Donald Trump but some resistance from Swedish parents, especially those whose children have health issues. The government threatened to punish parents who didn’t send their kids to school.

Sweden’s plan seems to have been safe enough. Its health agency reported on July 15 that COVID-19 outbreaks among Sweden’s 1 million school children were no worse than those in neighboring Finland, which did close schools. And pediatricians have seen few severe COVID-19 cases among school-age children in Stockholm. Only one young Swedish child is believed to have died of the coronavirus as of this article’s publication.

However, officials in Stockholm have admitted they don’t know how the disease may have affected teachers, parents and other adults in schools.

Sweden had over 70,000 COVID-19 cases as of July 21, which puts it in the middle of the pack in Europe, according to a joint study from Sweden’s Upsala University and the University of Virginia. Of those, slightly more than 1,000 involved children and teens.

Japan: So far, so good
Japan, which has mostly kept COVID-19 under control, took a conservative approach to reopening schools in June.

Different schools have different strategies, but generally Japanese students attend class in person on alternating days, so that classrooms are only half full. Lunches are silent and socially distanced, and students undergo daily temperature checks.

These precautions are more stringent than those in many other countries. Still, some Japanese school children have gotten COVID-19, particularly in major cities.

A survey from Save the Children found that Japanese school children wanted more clear and detailed information about the virus and the outbreaks. Parents, students and teachers continue to express hesitancy about returning to school and displeasure over reopening measures.

Uruguay: A+ for safety
Analysts credit Uruguay’s well-organized and efficient public health system and Uruguyans’ strong faith in government for its success stopping the coronavirus. The progressive South American country of 3.4 million has the region’s lowest rates of COVID-19 cases and deaths, and it never shut down its economy entirely.

Uruguay was one of the Western Hemisphere’s first countries to send its students back to school, using a staged approach.

In late April, Uruguay reopened schools in rural areas, where the student population is small. In early June, it brought vulnerable student groups, which were struggling to access online learning, and high school seniors back into classrooms. Then all students in non-urban areas went back to classrooms.

Finally, on June 29, 256,000 students in the capital of Montevideo returned to school. An alternating schedule of in-person and virtual instruction reduces the number of students in classrooms at one time.

Uruguay is notable for residents’ consistent and early adoption of measures like social distancing and masks. Its successful pandemic response comes despite its proximity to hard-hit Brazil, where schools remain closed.

Final grades
There is no perfect way to reopen schools during a pandemic. Even when a country has COVID-19 under control, there’s no guarantee that schools can reopen safely.

But the policies and practices of countries that have had some initial success with schools point in the same direction. It helps to slowly stage the reopening. Strict mask wearing and social distancing is critical, both in schools and surrounding communities. And both officials and families need reliable and up-to-date data so that they can continually assess outbreaks – and change course quickly if necessary.
Enlarge Image
Table: The Conversation CC-BY-ND Source: Robert Spires
That complicates school reopenings in the U.S., with its soaring COVID-19 cases, limited testing capacity and decentralized education system. Most countries have national education systems. In the U.S., school officials in all 50 states must sort through the same politicized messaging and confusing data as everyone else to make their own decisions about whether, when and how to welcome back students.