Police Reform in America

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Police Reform in America

Post by malchior »

Rochester, NY command staff out after allegations surface they covered up the death of an arrestee.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LA County Sheriff's office arrests reporter - they claim she didn't identify herself as a reporter because she doesn't have *their* special press id. She was "only" wearing press credentials issued by her employer around her neck. Nothing like inventing rules to trash constitutional rights. She was covering an arrest of a person outside the hospital where two officers who were shot yesterday are being treated.
Los Angeles County Sheriff’s deputies arrested KPCC/LAist Correspondent Josie Huang Saturday night while she was covering the ambush shooting of two deputies in Compton.

The incident occurred outside St. Francis Medical Center in Lynwood, where the two deputies were being treated for gunshot wounds. Huang had just finished covering a 10 p.m. news conference by Sheriff Alex Villanueva.

Huang, an award-winning journalist, allegedly obstructed justice. The department initially refused to provide details of what happened, but later, Deputy Juanita Navarro of the Sheriff's Information Bureau confirmed that deputies took Huang into custody on suspicion of obstruction of justice by "interfering with a lawful arrest." Huang says she was trying to document the arrest of a protester.

Navarro also said Huang "didn't have proper credentials," but she was clearly wearing press credentials around her neck.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Meanwhile adjacent to the above this is what is happening at the hospital. We will see more violence if the police continue to block reform. We may get locked into a spiral of violence.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

An ambush in Compton? Unfortunately this is why the cops feel justified shooting every black man they see.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:16 pm An ambush in Compton? Unfortunately this is why the cops feel justified shooting every black man they see.
Not really - they've been murdering black people well before random shootings of the police. In any case, this is still a very rare event. I just hope it doesn't increase in frequency.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:56 pm Meanwhile adjacent to the above this is what is happening at the hospital. We will see more violence if the police continue to block reform. We may get locked into a spiral of violence.

They hope who dies? Everyone on an ambulance pulling up to a blocked ER?

Sorry, that is not a protest, it's criminal interference.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:30 pm
Jaymann wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:16 pm An ambush in Compton? Unfortunately this is why the cops feel justified shooting every black man they see.
Not really - they've been murdering black people well before random shootings of the police. In any case, this is still a very rare event. I just hope it doesn't increase in frequency.
It will increase in frequency and it will have the intended effect. Cops won't police certain neighborhoods without an MRAP, will react defensively to anyone approaching them, and tensions will only continue to escalate.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:31 pm
malchior wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:56 pm Meanwhile adjacent to the above this is what is happening at the hospital. We will see more violence if the police continue to block reform. We may get locked into a spiral of violence.

They hope who dies? Everyone on an ambulance pulling up to a blocked ER?

Sorry, that is not a protest, it's criminal interference.
FWIW I found the use of the word protester odd too especially since that is a an alt-right account. I just think it was helpful that they were able to shed some light on what is really going on down there. There is a FB video that's pretty bad too. People have had enough of this shit. I'm seeing similar noise in NY by the way.

The police attacked a protest outside the 34th precinct last night. They were just speaking out there and the police charged them. That led to some of the protesters claiming they got brutalized 'de-arresting' people aka obstruction of justice. It's not great. Violence against the police is being legitimized because some feel that the police are not accountable. I don't know if it'll explode but hopefully it'll chill out as summer comes to an end. It could have been worse considering how June went but the sense that we have a mounting problem is hard to avoid.

Edit: Twitter is stupid sometimes - Straight link to Facebook here

Edit 2: There are reports that this is overblown. The police were claiming they were blocking the entrance but there was are also accounts that about 12 people were there. I got that sense from the FB video. The video is messed up but this isn't like a mass of people descended on the hospital.

Edit 3: Video proof - no ambulances were at actual risk of not getting through - the guys with guns would have moved the three guys. They arrested one which led to the reporter getting arrested.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Fun update where the cops get caught lying again. Maybe they didn't hear it but...I doubt it. They knew what they were doing.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The revolution will NOT be televised.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I’m a bit confused. Is it actually a law that you have to have press ID to be filming in a public area where anyone could be filming anyway or was she in a private area where I can see having proper press ID is warranted (basically an area that the general public shouldn’t/wouldn’t have access to)?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Punisher wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:59 am I’m a bit confused. Is it actually a law that you have to have press ID to be filming in a public area where anyone could be filming anyway or was she in a private area where I can see having proper press ID is warranted (basically an area that the general public shouldn’t/wouldn’t have access to)?
I think the expectation is that press aren't protesters and won't interfere with police duties, thus the police should be walking past them without hindering them at all. Instead the cops are treating them like anyone else on the streets right now and ignoring their presented credentials.

In the heat of a moment like that I wouldn't expect a name tag to spare me from police brutality. From the cops' perspective, anyone can print off a press tag and wear it. If it was an effective barrier, more people would probably wear them in hopes of being overlooked.

I'm not at all saying it justifies anything being done to reporters. The police shouldn't be abusing anyone out there, let alone someone wearing a press badge. I have the utmost respect for the people risking themselves to keep everyone else informed, and think it's disgusting that the leader of our nation has basically branded anyone looking to publish the truth of events an enemy of the people.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

You (a non reporter) should also be allowed to film and you (an non reporter) shouldn't have a need to find a way to be spared police brutality. I know you agree.

They are walking over all kinds of lines here.... The Fact that she did announcer herself as a reporter wouldn't have given her a free pass if she started to interfere with cops, but of course, she never did - as a reporter or as a non-reporter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Exactly. Also this department has been repeatedly proved to be lying in this incident. There is video disproving the erroneous tweets (which are still up now) that said she never announced herself as a reporter. She did so. 5 grown men brutalized a perhaps 100 lb woman while she yelled out she was a reporter. The badge was around her neck. Still they handcuffed her, transported her, and processed her. They could have stood her up and validated who she was. Instead, they continued to abuse her rights.

And we are seeing this over and over. These guys were upset and they might just have taken their rage out on the "enemy" here. We've seen this pattern multiple times this summer. I expect our press freedom score to nose dive next year because so many reporters have been beat up and arrested by the police.
malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior

Post by malchior »

Just assault and battery on a citizen by two different departments *tonight* - the cop above rolls a bike intentionally across the head and neck of someone lying in the wrong. FWIW it is being investigated as a potential crime. I won't hold my breath. In the incident below, the officer aggressively approaches and kicks a man from behind. He could have seriously injured him. The other cops look on and don't do a thing. If you don't think the police are out of control you aren't watching.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think what astounds me most now is that the police clearly know they're being filmed - or at least, they are operating under the assumption that being filmed in 2020 is highly likely. And yet, they still do stuff like this, because either they don't care or know if they're ever brought up on charges, it won't matter:

Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

FWIW - the video is the 3rd one in the sequence - if you click it it'll start playing the first one. We see videos like this in NY, LA, SF, Seattle, Portland, etc. It is widespread. National police policy is aligned on suppressing political expression. Most of the arrests result in no prosecution. They are sweeping the street clean with whatever force they deem reasonable because no one can stop them. Like Trevor Noah said in that video the other day it is hard to say we aren't a police state. You can't stop them. You can't hold them accountable. The local government have almost no power over them. For example, Seattle cut their funding 5%. The Chief immediately quit and they then went on a violent rampage against protesters the next day. It is going to continue to spiral. As he said, no one win. Well maybe they think they will and that is why they act this way.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Whitebread McTaliban here is one of Trump's closest Evangelical associates.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm not going to defend these acts of brutality but I'll say this. A lot of these cops are working 7 or more consecutive 12-hour days, their days off cancelled, etc. A peaceful protest, in their eyes, is only peaceful because they are there to keep it from getting violent (not saying they are right in this thinking) and yet they get yelled at, obstructed, and passive-aggressively harassed for hours on end.

Again, not justifying brutality and if they can't handle the job, maybe another line of work is in order. But in places like Portland these cops are mentally exhausted. In a lot of ways I wonder if at some level this isn't the goal. Force more and more of these events by mixing gasoline and fire. Cops aren't robots. They can fail like everyone else and the more you have conflict there more they will fail.

Sure you have some guys coming in all hot and looking to attack someone but usually it's the result of building tension, frustration, and fatigue.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:24 am

Whitebread McTaliban here is one of Trump's closest Evangelical associates.
This was.posted while I was typing the above post. Exactly one of the problems. Using fodder (cops) as an agent of God.

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:32 am I'm not going to defend these acts of brutality but I'll say this. A lot of these cops are working 7 or more consecutive 12-hour days, their days off cancelled, etc. A peaceful protest, in their eyes, is only peaceful because they are there to keep it from getting violent (not saying they are right in this thinking) and yet they get yelled at, obstructed, and passive-aggressively harassed for hours on end.
Plus there is the echo chamber effect. The only voices they have time to hear are those of other cops in the same situation.

I'm also not trying to defend the cops, but the policies are still the thing most responsible for creating the situation we're in.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

https://www.wave3.com/2020/09/22/pinevi ... red-facts/
The Pineville Police Department says the officer who was allegedly ambushed on Sunday night actually shot himself.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:00 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:32 am I'm not going to defend these acts of brutality but I'll say this. A lot of these cops are working 7 or more consecutive 12-hour days, their days off cancelled, etc. A peaceful protest, in their eyes, is only peaceful because they are there to keep it from getting violent (not saying they are right in this thinking) and yet they get yelled at, obstructed, and passive-aggressively harassed for hours on end.
Plus there is the echo chamber effect. The only voices they have time to hear are those of other cops in the same situation.

I'm also not trying to defend the cops, but the policies are still the thing most responsible for creating the situation we're in.
Right - there is a combination of constitutional law, national police policy alignment, and frankly economic policy at play which created a bad system for the police. They however also have serious cultural problems and there was some level of infiltration by white nationalists. It is a complex mix. And we have the problem that they won't allow themselves to be reformed. And the politicians are afraid of their power to an extent. So this will grind on.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Again, not justifying brutality and if they can't handle the job, maybe another line of work is in order. But in places like Portland these cops are mentally exhausted. In a lot of ways I wonder if at some level this isn't the goal. Force more and more of these events by mixing gasoline and fire. Cops aren't robots. They can fail like everyone else and the more you have conflict there more they will fail.

Sure you have some guys coming in all hot and looking to attack someone but usually it's the result of building tension, frustration, and fatigue.
This is true in a lot of the cities. In NY. The police are just...I don't know. I have friends who don't feel safe with this police force. They just act randomly. Cuomo asked the entire state to detail out police reform plans and DeBlasio simply won't do it. He is term limited and even then he still won't life a finger to stop a police force that is essentially rioting at times against peaceful protesters...or as you'll see below if you click in...peaceful diners on or near the sidewalk.

This is a tweet thread documenting an instance tonight of random police violence. The police formed up a huge wall to apparently enforce jaywalking or something. If you've ever been to NY, a wave of police rushing to tackle people a foot into the road that clearly weren't actually obstructing traffic...is just insane. I walk on the street almost everytime I'm there just because the sidewalks are crowded. It's entirely normal. There is something just wrong with this police department. I don't know what we will do but they aren't doing themselves any favors. I don't care if they are tired anymore. This has to end.

Edit: This is a State Senator basically saying WTF is going on with these cops. Bizarre times.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

How it all fell apart in Minneapolis.
Over three months ago, a majority of the Minneapolis City Council pledged to defund the city’s police department, making a powerful statement that reverberated across the country. It shook up Capitol Hill and the presidential race, shocked residents, delighted activists and changed the trajectory of efforts to overhaul the police during a crucial window of tumult and political opportunity.

Now some council members would like a do-over.

Councilor Andrew Johnson, one of the nine members who supported the pledge in June, said in an interview that he meant the words “in spirit,” not by the letter. Another councilor, Phillipe Cunningham, said that the language in the pledge was “up for interpretation” and that even among council members soon after the promise was made, “it was very clear that most of us had interpreted that language differently.” Lisa Bender, the council president, paused for 16 seconds when asked if the council’s statement had led to uncertainty at a pivotal moment for the city.

“I think our pledge created confusion in the community and in our wards,” she said.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
malchior

Post by malchior »

Thug cops in Portland at it again. They are out of control.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

No context.

"Where do you live?"
"I don't have a home."
"You're full of shit."
"I live with you "
"You're going to jail "

Sounds like he's known to them.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:09 pm No context.

"Where do you live?"
"I don't have a home."
"You're full of shit."
"I live with you "
"You're going to jail "

Sounds like he's known to them.
Context is irrelevant. The arrest is a whatever. Maybe it is legit. It does look like a cop losing his cool. That theory is backed up by the picking up a man in a wheelchair by his shoulder and whipping him around unnecessarily. I don't see how anyone could defend it.

Edit:
@2lesslegs wrote:My arrest last night. I just got released at noon. PPB really enjoyed themselves too; locking me up in a isolation cell for 9+ hours while each cop walked by to remind me how great America is and call me a comie bastard, with of course their favorites mixed in; wheelchair jokes
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Dude is a pro.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm sure he is an antagonist. It still doesn't mean they should pick up a tiny man in a wheelchair by his arm and whip him around. Officer steps around to other side. Takes arm and puts him in handcuffs. The end. It literally is the cops playing into his hands then. If his antagonism exposes that they are thin-skinned thugs...this is literally what Noah was talking about. No one wins.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

I thought I was a prison abolitionist. But then a stranger broke into my bedroom.

Nothing ground breaking here, but a short, thoughtful read.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Heres an idea. Give the most dangerous and high pressure jobs that no one wants to rookies.

Reverse seniority.

CPDs newly-formed community safety teams and summer mobile unit, which form the backbone of the department’s anti-violence strategy, will continue operating. But veteran officers are concerned about those teams, too.

When the department disbanded its citywide gang and saturation teams to form the new units in July, vacancies were filled by volunteers. And, when that didn’t produce nearly enough manpower, the slots were filled by reverse seniority.

In other words, many of the cops assigned to the city’s potentially most dangerous anti-violence assignments have the least amount of experience on the job.

“It’s dangerous,” one veteran officer said. “It’s a big deal.”

The use of reverse seniority to fill specialized vacancies may have contributed to a high-profile police shooting on the Red Line earlier this year.

As the teams were being formed to address soaring CTA crime, two cops assigned to the department’s Transit Detail tried to stop Ariel Roman after he passed between Red Line cars at the Grand Station.

CTA passengers recorded the rest on their phones: Roman and the two officers struggled at the base of the platform escalator.

One officer is heard yelling, “shoot him!”

Roman and that cop stagger to their feet, both clearly winded from the struggle.

Then, for no apparent reason, the second cop shoots Roman from just a few feet away. Roman, injured, takes off running up the escalator. The cop shoots again, apparently striking him in his back.
Spoiler:
No one is talking about it — at least not yet — but this month will be the worst September for murder in Chicago since the early 1990s. That sad fact follows closely behind July, one of the single worst months for homicides in the city since modern recordkeeping began during the 1950s.

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:33 am recordkeeping
If 2020 has taught me anything, it's that this is the real problem.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is IMO a good opinion piece about the stakes we face in a 2nd Trump Presidency. It reacts to what Trump's currently ruled illegal police reform commission -- only staffed with police officers -- came up with. It's frightening how close we are to moving towards a surveillance state with weakening civil liberty protections.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Ahh the problem is too much accountability, too little punishment for mostly victimless crimes and limited access to private information for the police. We had it backwards the whole time!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Police reform in this country is going to be a complex topic that involves balancing a lot of competing interests, against a backdrop of economic uncertainty and internet-driven disinformation.

Just the thing for a reality television star who has failed at literally everything he's ever tried to do in his life outside of entertainment.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Meanwhile in NYC. This features obvious evidence planting. Despite what your eyes will see at about 11:30 in the video the officer was exonerated. Fun fact - this was the 2nd time the same pair was seen planting evidence that year and exonerated.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

It is unfortunate that Michael McMahon will not face a challenger in his re-election bid. The joys of a single-party state. :(

(I sympathize. Here in Texas, we have Paxton. Same problem.)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Paxton has his own problems not related to the election.
It's almost as if people are the problem.