Trump vs. Biden - the Final Showdown

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

stessier

Re: Trump vs. Biden - the Final Showdown

Post by stessier »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:55 pm It shouldn't be, "vote because there is a black candidate!"

It should be, "vote or we could get more of this bullshit!"

But wherever helps.
We all have the issues that get us to the polls.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:28 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:55 pm It shouldn't be, "vote because there is a black candidate!"

But wherever helps.
Maybe that's part of the problem.

I thought the voting booth was supposed to get us to the polls. Issues decide our votes.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:32 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:28 pm

But wherever helps.
Maybe that's part of the problem.

I thought the voting booth was supposed to get us to the polls. Issues decide our votes.
That is the theory. I don't know if that was ever the reality.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I took a look at some polling a week or two ago of Biden with the various VP picks vs Trump and Pence, and the differences were all in a 2 point or so range, within the margin of error. While it might still have some relevance in specific areas where there might be a tight race, I think he should focus on picking the person he thinks he can work best with and can replace him the best if the worst happens (or follow him if it doesn't).

(Well, after a thorough check of any potential skeletons)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

malchior wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:03 pm
Yeah, I don't know about picking a woman. Any woman he picks is going to be too aggressive and ambitious - likely already trying to get the presidency.

Instead, I think he should pick a man who can project strength and be groomed for the presidency in 8 years or if something should happen.

(Too subtle?)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:04 pm Yeah, I don't know about picking a woman. Any woman he picks is going to be too aggressive and ambitious - likely already trying to get the presidency.

Instead, I think he should pick a man who can project strength and be groomed for the presidency in 8 years or if something should happen.

(Too subtle?)
Nowadays, yes.
Holman

Post by Holman »

[moved to Russia thread]
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

8-)

Holman

Post by Holman »

But can he do it on a ramp??

Seriously, that's more physical activity than we've seen from Trump in four years. Walking 10 steps from your golf cart to the ball doesn't count.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Eh, even with a cart 18 holes in the sun can be draining.

Of course, I'm usually at over 100 strokes plus practice swings.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:42 pm Eh, even with a cart 18 holes in the sun can be draining.

Do you drive the cart on the green like Trump does?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Holman wrote:
Pyperkub wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:42 pm Eh, even with a cart 18 holes in the sun can be draining.

Do you drive the cart on the green like Trump does?
Not since some shenanigans after hours and after many beers, many moons ago!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ooga booga, where the white women at?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Someone should respond with the clip from John Oliver from Aug 2 of the suburban housewife from the 1950s laying it out there plain as day what he's saying.
malchior

Post by malchior »

"The new tone"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The dog bullhorn.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

The caravan is coming from the inner city!!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

malchior wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:43 am
It's nice to see that's he still 100% in on keeping the racist vote, even with his trailing poll numbers. I also don't see how this helps him at all with most suburban women. A majority of them are educated enough to see through this racist dog whistle.
FTE
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:54 am Someone should respond with the clip from John Oliver from Aug 2 of the suburban housewife from the 1950s laying it out there plain as day what he's saying.
Here it is. It's from Last Week Tonight, so NSFW language. It should start right as he presents the clips from the 50s.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

stessier wrote:Someone should respond with the clip from John Oliver from Aug 2 of the suburban housewife from the 1950s laying it out there plain as day what he's saying.
I watched that. When people of a certain age talk about going back to the way it was when they were growing up I sometimes think they're wishing for those bygone days of old...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I just read that the EO on continuing federally enhanced unemployment benefits will only go to the unemployed receiving over $100 from their states. I wonder how many of Trump's constituents are, or will be, enraged by being disqualified. :clap:
Last edited by Dave Allen on Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:15 am The caravan is coming from the inner city!!
Worse! [whispering] "The (pick one) poor/the brown/the caravan is coming from within your safe, white, gated suburban NEIGHBORHOOD!"

malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:03 am
Holman wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:15 am The caravan is coming from the inner city!!
Worse! [whispering] "The (pick one) poor/the brown/the caravan is coming from within your safe, white, gated suburban NEIGHBORHOOD!"

LOL at the reference here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's good to get this message going early. He needs to keep hitting this button.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

For a long while, I kept thinking "Where the hell is Biden?! Why is he being so quiet? "I'll be in my bunker" is a funny meme, but probably not a great strategy to win the Presidency"

Then as I watched Trump light himself on fire again and again, and dig that hole deeper and deeper, I realized that he (Biden) or someone in his campaign was quite brilliant. Strategy: STFU and let the idiot blabber on, louder and louder, pissing more and more so called independents off. Of course the frothier he gets, the more his base loves it, but this "uber-Trump" behavior of late is not a winning strategy for most of the population (I pray, I hope....it MUST. NOT. BE.). If it IS, we're all fucked anyway, because that means the problem is not Trump, it's us (pl) (which it IS in a way, even now, but another win for Trump will mean it's much worse than anyone thought).

Seriously, if that tweet to the "moms in the suburbs" is even moderately successful, or landed at all, we DESERVE this shitbird. Maybe we already do.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:00 amthis "uber-Trump" behavior of late is not a winning strategy for most of the population (I pray, I hope....it MUST. NOT. BE.)
I think I've read that Trump passed the Electoral College with 70,000 votes to spare, despite loosing the popular vote by 3.6m

The question seems to be "Can we erode those 70,000 votes and tip it back?"

I think a LOT of people sat out the last election because neither was a good choice. A lot of people voted for Trump because they just hated Clinton that much. A lot of people just vote Republican, regardless. A lot just liked his brand of bullshit.

All he really has left are the people who like his brand of bullshit. Republicans with a conscience aren't voting for him. No one really seems to like or hate Biden. Trump has stirred up so much shit that even many politically blind people have got to see that he's nothing short of a tin-pot dictator.

Regardless, I think that if America votes him in for another term this country is a lost cause. There's a big difference between making a mistake and deliberately doing it again.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:00 amSTFU and let the idiot blabber on, louder and louder, pissing more and more so called independents off.
If someone considers themselves an Independent and they're still on the fence over voting for Trump, they're even more delusional than he is.

Seriously, if that tweet to the "moms in the suburbs" is even moderately successful, or landed at all, we DESERVE this shitbird. Maybe we already do.
Similarly, if there are suburban moms that are on the fence and it's Trumps ranting about how he's saving their neighborhoods, they're also delusional.

I've come to accept there is a significant number of people (i.e. enough to win an election) that will vote for Trump no matter what he says or does. F them (no, really - F them).

The challenge is to get people that aren't motivated to vote to actually do so. The difficulty here is the myriad of reasons they don't engage. I can honestly say nothing Trump has said or done has impacted me personally. I'm engaged because of the bigger-picture issues and because I'm not a sociopath. I fear there are far too many people that just have nothing at all invested in any of these and to them, it really doesn't matter. They're more likely to be directly impacted by a lack of college football or a Superbowl than whether or not it's Trump or Biden in 2021.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:40 amThe challenge is to get people that aren't motivated to vote to actually do so. The difficulty here is the myriad of reasons they don't engage.
This is a good chunk of the problem. The Republican strategy was to convert and suppress. This is more the latter. They blew up governance and a lot of people blame DC culture aka everyone - not just the actual people planting the dynamite. And it worked. This is the last chance. If it continues to work, the game is effectively over.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:40 amI can honestly say nothing Trump has said or done has impacted me personally.
You've followed the COVID-19 crisis, right?

:geek:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:doh: Fair.

Though he doesn't get all the blame. Maybe 90%. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:30 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:40 amI can honestly say nothing Trump has said or done has impacted me personally.
You've followed the COVID-19 crisis, right?

:geek:
I lol'd.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:00 am Seriously, if that tweet to the "moms in the suburbs" is even moderately successful, or landed at all, we DESERVE this shitbird. Maybe we already do.
I live in the lily-white suburbs in Utah. You would be amazed at how much that message resonates with the conservative Stepford Wives around here.

Granted, most of them would have been voting for Trump anyways, but he is absolutely successful in playing on their (entirely unfounded) fear of "others" who are going to loot, pillage, and rape their otherwise tranquil subdivision.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Paingod wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:07 am The question seems to be "Can we erode those 70,000 votes and tip it back?"
Easily, if everything else was equal.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Scraper wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:36 am
malchior wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:43 am
It's nice to see that's he still 100% in on keeping the racist vote, even with his trailing poll numbers. I also don't see how this helps him at all with most suburban women. A majority of them are educated enough to see through this racist dog whistle.
Trump has mentioned this several times and every instance he tries to tie Corey Booker to it, when there is no real reason to do so - it's not as if Booker had some proposal to do something like this. The only reason is Trump doubling down on the dog whistle, housing for the poor (blacks) to be implemented by a scarey black man.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

Grifman wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:36 pmThe only reason is Trump doubling down on the dog whistle, housing for the poor (blacks) to be implemented by a scarey black man.
Which is the more offensive because Booker is one of smartest, thoughtful people in the Senate. Not perfect but someone who aspires to serve as best he can.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Maybe remind Trump's audience that if Cory Booker is responsible for your neighborhood, he will literally run into your burning house to save you from a fire.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:27 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:00 am Seriously, if that tweet to the "moms in the suburbs" is even moderately successful, or landed at all, we DESERVE this shitbird. Maybe we already do.
I live in the lily-white suburbs in Utah. You would be amazed at how much that message resonates with the conservative Stepford Wives around here.

Granted, most of them would have been voting for Trump anyways, but he is absolutely successful in playing on their (entirely unfounded) fear of "others" who are going to loot, pillage, and rape their otherwise tranquil subdivision.
Yeah, don't underestimate this. Not only for the vote but after the election. If Trump loses these will be the first to close ranks and fight for whatever comes next.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT