Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by Smoove_B »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:15 pm I read an article yesterday that discussed that point. I'd link to it, but I can't remember where it was. Their explanation for the shift in relative infection rates is that while the US is in a neck-and-neck race between vaccination and variant spread, Canada is losing the same race.
Yeah, I'd seen numerous people arguing the same points - issues over reporting and data collection. Same as it ever was. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:28 pm Getting my first shot next Friday, so think I’ll just avoid leaving the house for the next week+.
So frustrating to be able to see a path out and communities are just throwing in the towel when it matters most. With the variants now dominating the circulating strain, it's more important than ever to remain vigilant. Godspeed.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Did any of you see the story about how as much as 40% of US Marines wouldn't vaccinate? It might not be that high since we don't track people end-to-end so they can get vaccinated by other means beyond the Corps and others are waiting might be waiting for it to be an order.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Mask compliance is getting spotty and grudging even here. When I'm "fully immune" (more accurately, about 90% immune) five weeks from now, I'll stop double-masking, but I'm not letting down my guard until new cases drop to background noise.
malchior wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:41 pm Did any of you see the story about how as much as 40% of US Marines wouldn't vaccinate? It might not be that high since we don't track people end-to-end so they can get vaccinated by other means beyond the Corps and others are waiting might be waiting for it to be an order.
I posted a story about that a couple of weeks ago (might not have been the same study). It concluded that the Marines are saying no because that is seldom an option for them. When the vaccines win formal approval (as opposed to emergency use authorization), they can be ordered to take them.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I think at this point it's time to reduce my emergency food stores. I laid in two weeks over a year ago. I may go down to five days. It would put already paid-for food into the cupboard, and we could really use the space.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:40 am I think at this point it's time to reduce my emergency food stores. I laid in two weeks over a year ago. I may go down to five days. It would put already paid-for food into the cupboard, and we could really use the space.
I just started doing that after getting my first shot. This pandemic ain't over, but it's unlikely to break supply chains again. I don't need 10 boxes of spaghetti and 6 jars of sauce anymore.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Exactly that. The major concerns (a 100% lockdown, broken supply chains, and the whole family going into quarantine with no way to get supplies) are about the be past. That isn't to say that we won't surge again, but Indiana would have to be halfway to Mad Max before they'd do a lockdown again, and everybody will have their first shot as of a week from tomorrow. The chances of us needing two weeks worth of supplies are pretty slim, although I do see myself making three to five days worth a permanent fixture going forward. I'll likely start spending my TP surplus, too. Maybe keep on pack of TP and one of paper towels back, but use the rest.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yeah the supply chain is much more knowledgeable anyway and Biden is putting pressure on them to stop with the 'just in time' manufacturing so they can be more nimble in an emergency. However if there's a stuck ship in the Panama Canal that could get ugly :)
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I read somewhere on line that people who took the Pfizer shots will have to take another one next.
Has anybody else come across some reliable info on that?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:16 am I read somewhere on line that people who took the Pfizer shots will have to take another one next.
There's always been a discussion around boosters, and the fewer people that get vaccinated the more boosters will be needed, because those people are vectors for variants. So honestly I expect to need a booster within 6 months or so.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:53 pm Maybe keep one pack of TP and one of paper towels back, but use the rest.
“Mommy, why does grandpa always keep that large container of toilet paper in the closet?”

:D
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:16 am I read somewhere on line that people who took the Pfizer shots will have to take another one next.
Pfizer is ineffective against one of the common variants (South African) so possibly a booster will be needed.

Info here.

Like Lorini said, boosters were always speculated and as variants gestate in the unvaccinated population it is more likely that boosters will be common. Annual COVID shots aren't out of the realm of possibility.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:45 am
Pfizer is ineffective against one of the common variants (South African) so possibly a booster will be needed.
Less effective may be a better description. From your article:
“We can say it’s less effective, but more research is needed to establish exactly how much.”
Hopefully this is true:
It is believed that this reduced effectiveness may also only occur in a short window of time. Results from the study showed that there were no reported cases of B.1.351 in fully vaccinated individuals who had received their second dose more then 14-days prior.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Also, both Pfizer and Moderna claim to have data that shows that the vaccines still offer protection after six months:

https://baptisthealth.net/baptist-healt ... -and-more/
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This is beyond gross:
Big Ass Fans, the Kentucky-based maker of a virus-killing smart fan, is seeking to boost its COVID-19 credentials by adding the former head of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to its ranks.

Former CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield is now the strategic health and safety advisor for Big Ass Fans' Clean Air Systems. Redfield was appointed to the CDC by former President Donald Trump and served between 2018 and 2021. He's now found a new role at a time when some former Trump administration employees are having trouble landing new jobs.

Shortly after the onset of the pandemic last year, Big Ass Fans introduced the Haiku UV-C. The smart ceiling fan, which starts at $1,750, uses UV light to kill viruses, bacteria, mold and other harmful airborne agents. Independent tests have also suggested the fan can kill SARS-CoV-2, the pathogen that causes COVID-19.
It's been 10 minutes and I'm still trying to process that the former director of the CDC is now part of company that sells a virus killing ceiling fan. I just...I can't.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:26 pm This is beyond gross:
Big Ass Fans, the Kentucky-based maker of a virus-killing smart fan, is seeking to boost its COVID-19 credentials by adding the former head of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to its ranks.

Former CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield is now the strategic health and safety advisor for Big Ass Fans' Clean Air Systems. Redfield was appointed to the CDC by former President Donald Trump and served between 2018 and 2021. He's now found a new role at a time when some former Trump administration employees are having trouble landing new jobs.

Shortly after the onset of the pandemic last year, Big Ass Fans introduced the Haiku UV-C. The smart ceiling fan, which starts at $1,750, uses UV light to kill viruses, bacteria, mold and other harmful airborne agents. Independent tests have also suggested the fan can kill SARS-CoV-2, the pathogen that causes COVID-19.
It's been 10 minutes and I'm still trying to process that the former director of the CDC is now part of company that sells a virus killing ceiling fan. I just...I can't.
That's the promise of a government job like that. You put in your time so you can make bank in the private sector when you leave. Become a professional board member, token executive, etc.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well, he was a *Trump administration* director of the CDC. This guy was Acting Attorney General under Trump, for example.
Black Lives Matter.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

The Alexa-activated bleach sprinkler attachment is available for a reasonable price, I'm sure.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:33 pm I’m glad Texas isn’t on the list.
How are we doing a week later? Check out that panhandle.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I love that the two cities have learned from their past mistakes. As for the rest of them?

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Michigan and kids:

Michigan's covid case ascent is back on, with a record number of hospitalizations and kids in the hospital. This is a bad precedent for how to manage a major surge when we now have 2-dimensions of defense. No other states in this range.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

We officially opted out of 4th quarter in-person learning for the twins on Monday. Yesterday the principal sent out an e-mail that there was a COVID case at the school (although apparently just someone who was in the school, not necessarily a student or teacher - the e-mail wasn't terribly clear).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

What's going on in Michigan? Is it doing anything materially different from other states?
Black Lives Matter.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:32 am What's going on in Michigan? Is it doing anything materially different from other states?
The Governor has had her powers stripped away and can no longer issue mandates. All she can do is make suggestions. And the people she is making suggestions to already wanted to kidnap and kill her last summer.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Michigan also has every variant spreading pretty much unchecked at this point.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:32 am What's going on in Michigan? Is it doing anything materially different from other states?
We are "freedom" loving idiots who live in a cold state and huddle in doors en mass to drink and rebel against authority, breath heavy and get each out sick. We're done with the virus so it's field day time. We are also a college town in most metropolitan areas in addition to our "working class" freedom loving bar hoppers and fitness center patriots.

Were we materially different from any other state when we were the first have our state capital breached by "non violent" armed protestors?

Where we are was foregone conclusion beginning March 13th, the harbinger of Spring we refused to give up on 2020 and a lesson not learned in 2021.

My second shot April 25th My second shot April 25th My second shot April 25th My second shot April 25th... Now just to somehow convince my mom. Somehow. My aunts and uncles who moved the needle, be damned. I may never go to a family function again, I am so mad.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

If it makes you feel better, my county just declared the pandemic over (literally, in those words), opting out of any further health orders.

We're a really bright group.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It doesn't. If this shit kills my mother, I will forgive no one. Ever. I don't have it in me. I'm not that good of a person. :oops:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Z-Corn wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:54 am
The Governor has had her powers stripped away and can no longer issue mandates. All she can do is make suggestions. And the people she is making suggestions to already wanted to kidnap and kill her last summer.
But don't lots of states have weak and/or poor governance? Like, there are several states that don't just have powerless governors, they have powerful governors actively making things harder (e.g., FL, TX, TN).
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:29 pm FL, TX, TN
Warm spring, Warm Spring, and Warm Spring. You'd be better off comparing us to Indiana, I think and other freedom loving mobility states with cold weather driving gatherings of people indoors this time of year and pockets full of cash to spend on partying while they are there. Specifically, I'd look at infection rates around Indy, West Lafeyette, and Muncie which I assume are Indy's largest college towns.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:21 pm It doesn't. If this shit kills my mother, I will forgive no one. Ever. I don't have it in me. I'm not that good of a person. :oops:
I wish I could offer something helpful here. My aunt has a close friend that contracted it last year. She's high risk - asthmatic and diabetic; I believe 80 or 81. She was hospitalized for a month, then in and out of rehab centers for another month. At one point she had a heart attack. I am actually surprised that she made it based on what I was told.

Anyway she has since recovered (February-ish) and (1) refuses to wear a mask and (2) refuses to get vaccinated. She had been berating my aunt for months about how careful she was being, which then stopped when she was hospitalized. Now that she's out and about, she's back to berating my aunt for being vaccinated and wearing a mask. Up until the pandemic they were really close friends - always going out together and socializing quite a bit. I don't think my aunt has actually seen her now in over a year - just phone calls.

I'm just at a complete loss on how to have a dialogue with whatever percentage of people are in that "never vax" group. I saw a photo today on Twitter of an older man at a baseball game wearing a shirt that said, "My son died of Covid-19 and I'm still voting for Trump". I don't know if he was just stiggin' it or it was the truth, but yeah.

Regardless, I'm sorry. I cannot imagine the stress I'd be feeling if either of my parents refused. At some point though, that's on them; you can't beat yourself up.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Update on the process - expect about a week or two for the J&J issue to be examined.
The good news: The government says there are no signs of similar clots after vaccination with the Pfizer and Moderna shots that are the mainstay of the COVID-19 fight in the U.S.

The J&J cases now under investigation are all among women younger than 50. But the advisory panel stressed that there’s not enough information to tell if only certain groups would be at risk. In Europe, most but not all cases following AstraZeneca vaccinations have been among women under 60, leading different countries to use that vaccine in varying ways.

Also, a 25-year-old man experienced a similar clot during U.S. testing of J&J’s vaccine, something the government scrutinized at the time but could not link to the shot. On Wednesday, the company also brought to the CDC’s attention a woman whose clot did not occur in the brain, sparking more questions about what other evidence to examine.

The CDC expects its advisers to reconsider the evidence within two weeks. So far the clots have occurred between one and three weeks after people received the J&J vaccine, and officials cautioned that more reports could surface.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:36 pm Regardless, I'm sorry. I cannot imagine the stress I'd be feeling if either of my parents refused. At some point though, that's on them; you can't beat yourself up.
Mom did not start out against the vaccination. She started cautious. Her sisters and their spouses have been against mask wearing from the beginning. Mom is still respectful and still diligent enough to maintain social hygiene and wear a mask but between her side of the family that are close and the blood clotting concerns (which a real concerns in her family) the needle moved and I'm not seeing it come back. I know exactly who moved that needle. I don't know how I could sit in a room with them at this point. If they get her sick... It's over. Yes, it's on mom who ultimately makes the decision, but I don't have it in me to forgive the influencers. I'm already wondering how I get to being OK if everything works out in the end. I need to be that kind of guy and I don't know how. I now have a sense for how my parents worried me when I was growing up and the stress I caused them.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My dads sister is a nurse and she's anti-mask and anti-vaccine. Her kids (my cousins), I'm not sure about. They just had (another) kid and sent and invite to my parents for a combination baptism and holy communion event next month, hosted at a restaurant. There's none-percent chance I'm going and my parents (both vaccinated) are very, very conflicted. I honestly don't know how we're all going to negotiate this 6+ or 12+ months from now. My trust in random adults is low and hearing random stories about extended family members is also impacting my ability to trust, particularly when my entire household isn't (and can't) be vaccinated.

So yeah, I feel a bit of your stress. I don't exactly know yet how I'm going to deal with extended family members that aren't on board. Originally it was a theoretical. Now it's an actual.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

most of my extended family members are already dead or estranged, so i don't get to hear about any of that.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:09 pm most of my extended family members are already dead or estranged, so i don't get to hear about any of that.
Yeah, living a thousand plus miles away from my extended family makes it easier to deal with. I just have the one sister-in-law here in Dallas that is anti-mask, anti-vax. She is getting married in October. I'll be wearing my formal mask. My wife is in the wedding and will be 9 months out from her vaccination and works in a hospital with COVID patients. I'm wondering if the bride will even allow her to wear a mask and how my wife will respond.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

You know, it's funny. My mom had 8 sisters and brothers and between them they had 22 kids. But we are all getting vaccinated or have gotten vaccinated, there's never even been discussion. I know a lot has been said about Black hesitancy, but my family prides themselves on following the science and they do whatever my dad would do (my dad got a Phd in chemistry from Caltech back in the day) as they were very proud of him. So I'm lucky I don't have to have these conflicts or discussions, we're all on the same page.
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

My 91 year old Mom got her second Moderna shot last week. Little to no side effects. She was careful for a couple of days after and didnt leave the house to go out at all or on her normal daily walk. But she came out none the worse and we are all relieved and thankful.

My 56 year old wife got her second Moderna shot Monday.
She has been down for 2 full days with headaches, body aches and general shittyness.

I get my second Moderna shot in 2 weeks. I hope I have the tolerance that my Mom had.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

New on the Reuters wire: Pfizer CEO says third covid vaccine dose likely needed within 12 months - CNBC
Again, this was expected (SEE: Marathon) and going with the general presumption that we're still going to be dealing with circulating virus in a year - domestically and worldwide.

Associated article
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

New articles are starting to get published, trying to encapsulate the scope. This latest figure has me stunned - about 1 in 16 Americans lost a local public health official during the pandemic:
Spending for state public health departments dropped by 16% per capita from 2010 to 2019, and spending for local health departments fell by 18%, KHN and The Associated Press found in a July investigation. At least 38,000 public health jobs were lost at the state and local level between the 2008 recession and 2019. Today, many public health workers are hired on a temporary or part-time basis. Some are paid so poorly they qualify for public aid. Those factors reduce departments’ ability to retain people with expertise.

Compounding those losses, the coronavirus pandemic has prompted an exodus of public health officials because of harassment, political pressure and exhaustion. A yearlong analysis by the AP and KHN found at least 248 leaders of state and local health departments resigned, retired or were fired between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021. Nearly 1 in 6 Americans lost a local public health leader during the pandemic. Experts say it is the largest exodus of public health leaders in American history.
We're all watching to see what happens:
Even the federal Prevention and Public Health Fund, which was established with the Affordable Care Act to provide $2 billion a year for public health, was raided for cash over the past decade. If the money hadn’t been touched, eventually local and state health departments would have gotten an additional $12.4 billion.

Several lawmakers, led by Democratic U.S. Sen. Patty Murray of Washington, are looking to end the boom-bust cycle with legislation that would eventually provide $4.5 billion annually in core public health funding. Health departments carry out essential government functions — such as managing water safety, issuing death certificates, tracking sexually transmitted diseases and preparing for infectious outbreaks.
But I'm honestly not hopeful that Americans want more public health right now.