Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:49 amIndoors is another matter. I would estimate we have near 100% mask compliance here indoors in my area. I actually recently walked into a pool store and the woman behind me came in without a mask. The kid there yelled 'Where is your mask' and she eeked out loud and went back to her car to get it. That is the only time I can remember seeing a person without a mask indoors in a store since at least early April.
Just be careful if you're in a NJ convenience store and think you're going to tell someone that wearing a mask below their nose isn't correct.
A Randolph man is accused of throwing hot coffee at a QuickChek convenience store employee after allegedly refusing to cover his nose with his mask, police said.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

my mom had to self-isolate last winter pre- and post-liver transplant operation. she is very angry she's going to have to do it again.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:39 pm
malchior wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:49 amIndoors is another matter. I would estimate we have near 100% mask compliance here indoors in my area. I actually recently walked into a pool store and the woman behind me came in without a mask. The kid there yelled 'Where is your mask' and she eeked out loud and went back to her car to get it. That is the only time I can remember seeing a person without a mask indoors in a store since at least early April.
Just be careful if you're in a NJ convenience store and think you're going to tell someone that wearing a mask below their nose isn't correct.
A Randolph man is accused of throwing hot coffee at a QuickChek convenience store employee after allegedly refusing to cover his nose with his mask, police said.
I've been trying to figure out if I know that guy. Could be a transplant in Randolph. If he's not he totally would have been in my class. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'll take that any day over the Michigan mask murders.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:55 pmI've been trying to figure out if I know that guy. Could be a transplant in Randolph. If he's not he totally would have been in my class. :lol:
Yeah I looked. I don't think he went to RHS. My five minutes of sleuthing has his family in Nutley. Thanks creepy Google!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:58 pm
I'll take that any day over the Michigan mask murders.
:cry:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

malchior wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:02 pm
Octavious wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:55 pmI've been trying to figure out if I know that guy. Could be a transplant in Randolph. If he's not he totally would have been in my class. :lol:
Yeah I looked. I don't think he went to RHS. My five minutes of sleuthing has his family in Nutley. Thanks creepy Google!
Ya and a net worth of 5K. Now I have to go google my net worth. :lol:

*Edit*

Son of a....
$25,000 - $49,999

That's totally not accurate. They must subtract for where I live. :lol:
Last edited by Octavious on Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's now "aggravated battery" in Illinois.

(What was assaulting an employee before? "Substantial Impoliteness"?)
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:31 pm
It's now "aggravated battery" in Illinois.

(What was assaulting an employee before? "Substantial Impoliteness"?)
I think NJ is the new Florida....

Someone was having a bad day....
https://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/20 ... s-say.html

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Octavious wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:34 pmI think NJ is the new Florida....
And yet, we have this awesomeness:

Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm sitting here planning my semester under the university's assumption that we're going to handle the virus with masks and social distancing. I'll be meeting face-to-face with half of each class on Monday and with the other half on Wednesday. Each half will have other assignments to do on their "off" day, and each class will meet in its entirety as a Zoom session on Friday.

Meanwhile, students will be living in dorms (ostensibly with precautions in place) and off-campus, and there's no realistic way to police their swirling meet-ups and face-mashings and parties.

Would I be wrong to assume that we'll have a campus-wide outbreak before mid-September, and that we'll be switching to remote instruction again then?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:16 pmWould I be wrong to assume that we'll have a campus-wide outbreak before mid-September, and that we'll be switching to remote instruction again then?
If you don't, someone else will and then everyone is going to scramble. I'd make sure whatever you're organizing can handle a switch to fully remote design, because it's absolutely happening.

We were actually provided a series of statements to include on our syllabuses (no, that's really the word) regarding the pandemic and special considerations we're taking into account based on roundtable/survey feedback that was collected after the Spring semester.

These are very strange times.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:37 pm
Octavious wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:34 pmI think NJ is the new Florida....
And yet, we have this awesomeness:

When you get called out by an emulsified meat product brand in Pennsylvania, you know things are going well.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:22 pm
Holman wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:16 pmWould I be wrong to assume that we'll have a campus-wide outbreak before mid-September, and that we'll be switching to remote instruction again then?
If you don't, someone else will and then everyone is going to scramble. I'd make sure whatever you're organizing can handle a switch to fully remote design, because it's absolutely happening.

We were actually provided a series of statements to include on our syllabuses (no, that's really the word) regarding the pandemic and special considerations we're taking into account based on roundtable/survey feedback that was collected after the Spring semester.

These are very strange times.
I'm thinking of just setting my schedule of readings and assignments "TBA" beyond the first month.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Russia has waccine. We are all saved, thank you Mother Russia! You show us the way!

No public data, only rudimentary testing. Ok.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

More power to 'em. Get back to me at a later date.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:15 am Russia has waccine. We are all saved, thank you Mother Russia! You show us the way!

My favorite theory is Russia is doing it to push Trump to try to force short-cuts into our vaccine development program and undermine it.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

malchior wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:44 am
The "So good to see you" sign over the exit at the end is a nice touch.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Freyland wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:02 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:44 am
The "So good to see you" sign over the exit at the end is a nice touch.
*Checks to be sure sons have a good grip*
"I'll beat that fucking mask off your face..."

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

malchior wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:42 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:15 am Russia has waccine. We are all saved, thank you Mother Russia! You show us the way!

My favorite theory is Russia is doing it to push Trump to try to force short-cuts into our vaccine development program and undermine it.
No, he'll sell Trump a billion doses of placebo. Or I should say, плацебо.
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Our parents carry us into this life.
We carry them out of it.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Irrational rage and anger seems to be a common personality trait among anti-mask Trump supporters.
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:34 pm Irrational rage and anger seems to be a common personality trait among anti-mask Trump supporters.
It makes sense. That is pretty much the part of the brain that Fox News sensitized in preparation for someone like Trump to come along and use them.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:34 pm Irrational rage and anger seems to be a common personality trait among anti-mask Trump supporters.
and a wardrobe style that apparently hasn't been updated since they were 12
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The courts just smacked down Lt. Gov Dan Forest's lawsuit against Governor Cooper's executive orders re: mask mandates, business closings, and stay-at-home orders. <insert Nelson laugh> Try again, fucktwat.
malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:31 am
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:59 am Yup. Read about it here:
On the CDC site where data on available hospital beds and ICU was previously stored, a note now reads, “Data displayed on this page was submitted directly to CDC’s National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) and does not include data submitted to other entities contracted by or within the federal government.”

“We don’t have this critical indicator anymore,” Panchadsaram said. “The intent of just switching the data streams towards HHS, that’s fine. But you got to keep the data that you’re sharing publicly still available and up to date.”

Panchadsaram said he and his team, which includes researchers from the Duke-Margolis Center for Health Policy and from Resolve to Save Lives, a public health initiative led by former CDC director Dr. Tom Frieden, have been tracking the data since April.
The whole thing astounds me. This flies in the face of the bare basic minimum standard of care - so to speak - that you need to achieve when you are cutting over a critical information resource *in the middle of a damn crisis*. The new platform needs to exist and you need to transition it to such a way that you don't interrupt the damn service. We don't know if the platform exists, works...we don't know anything.
Surprise! This seat of the pants switchover went badly. The last sentence is what intrigues me. I smell graft. Fuckers.
WSJ wrote:Public release of hospital data about the coronavirus pandemic has slowed to a crawl, one month after the federal government ordered states to report it directly to the Department of Health and Human Services and bypass the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Key indicators, such as estimates of the portion of inpatient beds occupied by Covid-19 patients, are lagging by a week or more, making it harder for citizens and local officials to get a handle on how the pandemic is progressing and for agencies to allocate supplies of antiviral drugs and personal protective equipment, public-health experts say.

The decision to switch data reporting in the middle of a public-health crisis was reckless, researchers and former public-health officials say.

“The transition has been a disaster,” as hospitals typically take time to adjust to new data systems, said Jeffrey Engel, senior adviser to the Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists, an association that represents state public-health officials. “What HHS said was that the CDC was not nimble enough and couldn’t handle new data elements, and that’s simply not true.”

HHS officials say the new system is more complete because more hospitals are reporting a more thorough set of statistics. But because the system is so new, it is taking time to ensure the quality of the data and control for variations in numbers such as the quantity of cases reported each day. The quality-control process has led to some delays in reporting hospital capacity estimates, HHS says.

Under the CDC, between 2,900 and 3,000 hospitals were reporting coronavirus-related data each day, while now, nearly twice as many hospitals are reporting, a senior HHS official said. But HHS needs more time to analyze the data to establish confidence in the results, this person said.

“We’ve been at it for a month now, so we’re starting to see the data stabilize and shake out. It’s why the data has only been updated on a weekly basis,” the official said. “In being more transparent, it creates some level of confusion [in the short term].”

“There’s been inconsistent reporting, there have been serious lags in the reporting. The last time I reviewed it, some data was 11 days old, and now it’s three days old,” Dr. Frieden said. “They pulled it away from CDC because it was updated three times a week, and now they update it once a week. Give me a break.”

HHS’s estimated patient impact and hospital-capacity statistics, for example, weren’t updated between Aug. 3 and Aug. 10, according to a review of HHS data by The Wall Street Journal. That data set includes indicators such as inpatient and intensive-care beds occupied by Covid-19 patients, which researchers say are key to understanding the pandemic.

“We’re not doing a good job of tracking either the virus or our response to it, and because of that we’re flying blind,” Dr. Frieden said. “That’s the big picture.”

Twenty-two state attorneys general, led by Maura Healy of Massachusetts, sent a letter in late July to HHS Secretary Alex Azar, demanding that the agency reverse the decision and return to the old data collection system.

“This sudden disruption...harms the nation’s ability to track and respond to the pandemic, hampers state and local public health authorities’ efforts to address the crisis in their communities, risks compromising the health data of millions of Americans, and undermines public confidence in any reports about COVID-19 coming from the federal government,” the letter said.

In early July, the White House coronavirus task force asked the CDC to add dozens of new elements to its National Health Safety Network system, which has been in place for about 15 years. The White House gave the CDC a deadline of two to three days, the HHS official said, but the CDC said it needed two to three weeks to implement changes.

HHS, on orders from the White House task force, on July 10 instructed hospitals to switch from the CDC’s system to a new one operated by a private contractor called TeleTracking Technologies Inc., the HHS official said.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Oh that was quick - it was graft. The firm that got the HHS contract is led by a man tied to Trump. Murderers.
Among the findings of the NPR investigation:
  • The Department of Health and Human Services initially characterized the contract with TeleTracking as a no-bid contract. When asked about that, HHS said there was a "coding error" and that the contract was actually competitively bid.
  • The process by which HHS awarded the contract is normally used for innovative scientific research, not the building of government databases.
  • HHS had directly phoned the company about the contract, according to a company spokesperson.
  • TeleTracking CEO Michael Zamagias had links to the New York real estate world — and in particular, a firm that financed billions of dollars in projects with the Trump Organization.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I can only hope Biden is putting together a team *right now* that's prepared to come in and extricate all the Trump cancer that has spread throughout D.C. and into the periphery, immediately starting in January. Something like draining a swamp...I'm sure a better image will come to me. But yeah, the naked power grab and shifting of money to people and groups that already have money during a pandemic is astounding.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Im really thinking we need a truth and reconciliation committee type mechanism. Biden will be tempted to let it go because he needs to unite but there is just too much injustice that must be addressed beyond just getting financial tentacles out of the budget.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

malchior wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:31 pm Oh that was quick - it was graft. The firm that got the HHS contract is led by a man tied to Trump. Murderers.
Among the findings of the NPR investigation:
  • The Department of Health and Human Services initially characterized the contract with TeleTracking as a no-bid contract. When asked about that, HHS said there was a "coding error" and that the contract was actually competitively bid.
  • The process by which HHS awarded the contract is normally used for innovative scientific research, not the building of government databases.
  • HHS had directly phoned the company about the contract, according to a company spokesperson.
  • TeleTracking CEO Michael Zamagias had links to the New York real estate world — and in particular, a firm that financed billions of dollars in projects with the Trump Organization.
From someone who had to come up with iron clad sole source justifications for the purchase of specialized equipment for the lab I’m so glad they streamlined the process by allowing you to mention past dealings with Trump in your bid.

Now granted, there may not have been a direct link but I wonder if a friend who ran in the same real estate circle jerk club whispered in the ear of some Trump appointee...or in the ear of Jared the Boy Blunder?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Something like draining a swamp...I'm sure a better image will come to me
Draining a cyst centered on the White House? Lance that thing.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:38 pm Something like draining a swamp...I'm sure a better image will come to me. But yeah, the naked power grab and shifting of money to people and groups that already have money during a pandemic is astounding.
https://bobs-burgers.fandom.com/wiki/Pest_Control_Truck

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/fumigate
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just add it to the pile of reasons we can't have nice things:
The sheriff in a central Florida COVID-19 hotspot has issued a directive prohibiting deputies, staff and visitors to department offices from wearing protective face masks, an order that came as a local mayor and city council squared off over a mask ordinance for businesses.

Marion County Sheriff Billy Woods sent an email Tuesday informing the approximately 900 people working in the department that "when you are on-duty/working as my employee and representing my Office – masks will not be worn," the Ocala Star Banner reports.
We can't expect the general public to follow the examples set by public officials when you have this kind of nonsense going on.

We're at increased risk from a virus not because of biology but ideology. It's amazing.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Good news for those attending BU in-person courses this coming semester:

BREAKING: Effective this Fall, Boston University will begin approving the issuance of degrees to students who die before completing their college education.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Now anyone can get a degree
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Well, that's just going to encourage kids to slack off. Why do the work when you can just die and get your degree that way?
stessier

Post by stessier »

I thought that was a joke having to do with COVID, but reading the article, it's a real policy that was put in place June 12 and in no way related to the pandemic. I, personally, don't see the need, but I guess if it gives families closure, it's not a big deal.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I thought it was COVID related - like they didn't have an official policy and were racing to get one in place before the Fall semester starts. I would have assumed any university would've had a policy in place already, so the timing on this looked...weird. Especially considering they're one of a few major universities having in-person classes.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Florida sheriff orders deputies not to wear masks, bans civilians in masks from office
Now, I can already hear the whining and just so you know I did not make this decision easily,' Marion County Sheriff Billy Woods said in a memo to staff.
Winning.....Charlie would be proud.

Enlarge Image