Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:14 pm
“There is a degree of anti-science feeling in this country,” Fauci said.
There's Fauci being Fauci again - understating and being over-polite.

There's not a degree of anti-science feeling in this country. There's an epidemic.
Not, it's a degree. Like MD, MBA, PhD, etc. This one is GOP.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

An excellent piece on why anti-maskers are the way they are. I feel stupid/And contagious"
The mask debate is complex. As much as it’s about science, health, and risk, it’s also about empathy. If someone doesn’t personally know anyone who died from Covid-19, does it mean those lives don’t matter? Are older and immunocompromised people disposable? Does one person’s right to ignore public health advice really trump someone else’s right to live?

“Death is happening in these wards where even family members can’t visit their loved ones when they’re sick with Covid, so the death and the severity of this disease are really invisible to the public,” said Kumi Smith, an assistant professor at the University of Minnesota who studies infectious diseases.

It leads some people to brush the issue aside.

“I’m empathetic that anyone has to die ever, but that’s the reality of our lives. And I almost feel like if I’m going to get Covid and die from it, then so be it,” said Gina, a Pennsylvania real estate agent who wears a mask at work but otherwise opposes mask mandates.
The overwhelming and complete lack of empathy is still astounding to me. Read the term "malevolent stupidity" this morning, and it fits perfectly.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe too NJ focused for most people to care, but what an interesting twist:
New Jersey has committed to spend some $23.5 million over three months to beef up the state’s contact-tracing capacity under a deal signed last week with a Boston-based consulting group doing similar work in New York state.

But it is not clear how the work of the company, Public Consulting Group — as outlined in a purchase order provided to NJ Spotlight under the state’s open records law — will align with efforts already underway at Rutgers University’s School of Public Health to hire, train and deploy up to 1,000 graduate students as contact tracers.

New Jersey officials said Thursday that some aspects of the deal with PCG are still being finalized, but noted the company was one of 64 that applied for the role and it was the “most advantageous” to the state. For the time being, Rutgers will continue to manage the contact tracers it hires, according to the state.
As a reminder, during a pandemic, the state of NJ figured out that they didn't have the ability to conduct contract tracing. During a pandemic...like, in the middle of an emergency one of the most important tools to have readily available in order to keep things from spiraling out of control, our state could not do. And this doesn't even get into the dysfunction of how this program tries to interface with the hundred or so local health agencies that claim priority.

I genuinely hope there are lessons learned here at some point. NJ is making news because of our governor and how we have reduced circulating virus levels, but in terms of preparedness? Total circus.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Yeah, McConnell's red line liability shield is about as bad as you'd think:
The GOP proposal would erect almost insurmountable obstacles to lawsuits by workers who become infected with the coronavirus at their workplaces.

It would absolve employers of responsibility for taking any but the most minimal steps to make their workplaces safe. It would preempt tough state workplace safety laws (not that there are very many of them).

And while shutting the courthouse door to workers, it would allow employers to sue workers for demanding safer conditions.

This is the provision that McConnell has described as his “red line” in negotiations over the next coronavirus relief bill, meaning that he intends to demand that it be incorporated in anything passed on Capitol Hill and sent to President Trump for his signature. The provision would be retroactive to Dec. 1, 2019, and remain in effect at least until Oct. 1, 2024.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:14 am Maybe too NJ focused for most people to care, but what an interesting twist:
New Jersey has committed to spend some $23.5 million over three months to beef up the state’s contact-tracing capacity under a deal signed last week with a Boston-based consulting group doing similar work in New York state.

But it is not clear how the work of the company, Public Consulting Group — as outlined in a purchase order provided to NJ Spotlight under the state’s open records law — will align with efforts already underway at Rutgers University’s School of Public Health to hire, train and deploy up to 1,000 graduate students as contact tracers.

New Jersey officials said Thursday that some aspects of the deal with PCG are still being finalized, but noted the company was one of 64 that applied for the role and it was the “most advantageous” to the state. For the time being, Rutgers will continue to manage the contact tracers it hires, according to the state.
As a reminder, during a pandemic, the state of NJ figured out that they didn't have the ability to conduct contract tracing. During a pandemic...like, in the middle of an emergency one of the most important tools to have readily available in order to keep things from spiraling out of control, our state could not do. And this doesn't even get into the dysfunction of how this program tries to interface with the hundred or so local health agencies that claim priority.

I genuinely hope there are lessons learned here at some point. NJ is making news because of our governor and how we have reduced circulating virus levels, but in terms of preparedness? Total circus.
Not a big shock The dashboard on covidactnow.org supports this story. We are running a relative low level of infection but only contact tracing about 55-60% right now. It dipped as low about 35% or so for a few weeks in July.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Since it's been long enough - the State was saying publicly that the contract tracing program was up and running at the same time I was taking classes to get certified/qualified to be a contact tracer. NOTE: when people are taking classes to be able to function as contact tracers using the new software/UI that was designed for the pandemic...it's probably a bit much to say that your state has contact tracing in place and you should be opening things because cases will be quickly identified and traced.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:08 pm Since it's been long enough - the State was saying publicly that the contract tracing program was up and running at the same time I was taking classes to get certified/qualified to be a contact tracer. NOTE: when people are taking classes to be able to function as contact tracers using the new software/UI that was designed for the pandemic...it's probably a bit much to say that your state has contact tracing in place and you should be opening things because cases will be quickly identified and traced.
I remember this and it wasn't IMO the best kept "secret" if you were paying attention. There were disconnected articles about how different groups didn't know who owned individual contacts/traces/incidents/case whatever the term is used to track these that was the usual NJ BS. County vs. local vs. state etc.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yup. Still a mess. I don't think it's hit the news yet regarding the CDC funded positions they're trying to get for each County now to help oversee things. Maybe someone you know will get in on one. :ninja:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

A glimpse at the nice things we could have if our government wasn't actively working to harm the populace, and the populace 'believed in' science and followed expert guidance...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That article is like speedballling a hit of depression for me.

In other news, California made a mistake:
A glitch has led to a backlog of between 250,000 and 300,000 unprocessed health records in California, many of them COVID-19 test results, California Health and Human Services Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly revealed Friday.

Not all of the records are coronavirus test samples, but most of them are, Ghaly said. The group of records may also include some duplicates, which the state is currently working to sort through and eliminate.
I mean...wow.
malchior

Post by malchior »

CNBC
White House coronavirus advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci said Friday that the chances of scientists creating a highly effective vaccine — one that provides 98% or more guaranteed protection — for the virus are slim.

Scientists are hoping for a coronavirus vaccine that is at least 75% effective, but 50% or 60% effective would be acceptable, too, Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said during a Q&A with the Brown University School of Public Health. “The chances of it being 98% effective is not great, which means you must never abandon the public health approach.”

“You’ve got to think of the vaccine as a tool to be able to get the pandemic to no longer be a pandemic, but to be something that’s well controlled,” he said.

The Food and Drug Administration has said it would authorize a coronavirus vaccine so long as it is safe and at least 50% effective. Dr. Stephen Hahn, the FDA’s commissioner, said last month that the vaccine or vaccines that end up getting authorized will prove to be more than 50% effective, but it’s possible the U.S. could end up with a vaccine that, on average, reduces a person’s risk of a Covid-19 infection by just 50%.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

250,000 UNMASKED PEOPLE are now at Sturgis, SD.

In days, they will be moving across the United States to every city and state in the union. Doesn't take a Wharton degree to know what this means.

MEDIA: This should be getting immediate and loud attn:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Idiots gather in large numbers without masks.

That isn't even newsworthy anymore.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Nuke Sturgis
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah my dad had considered going to Sturgis this year and I told him he was out of his freaking mind. Fortunately he came to the conclusion that it would be a catastrophically bad idea.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm sure they'll all get tested, and self-quarantine as needed. They seem like responsible sorts.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

One test shows that neck gaiters are worse than no mask.
“We were extremely surprised to find that the number of particles measured with the fleece actually exceeded the number of particles measured without wearing any mask,” Martin Fischer, one of the study’s authors told CNN. “We want to emphasize that we really encourage people to wear masks, but we want them to wear masks that actually work.”

Neck fleeces were shown to break down larger droplets into smaller particles, which can more easily slip through and out.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:40 pm Yup. Still a mess. I don't think it's hit the news yet regarding the CDC funded positions they're trying to get for each County now to help oversee things. Maybe someone you know will get in on one. :ninja:
If someone I knew was in on this gig, I would have an agreed upon code phrase to be used when you’re told to “await further instructions “ while certain government officials are told to evacuate to secret bunkers because everyone is truly fucked. “Springtime in Oslo is very pleasant” could be such a phrase. Repeat this to yourself Smoove and let me know when you’ve memorized it so I can delete this post...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/covid-m ... ally-david

Interesting read. Heard this guy on Michael Smerconish this week. He acknowledges the on going disaster that is our federal response but says maybe this thing has mostly burned itself out, naturally (well with our unintended help). Can I be cautiously optimistic???
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm not going to wet-blanket over his entire response, but I will say his view (broadly) isn't a popular one. Instead, I'll quote Dr. Osterholm from last week:
Just think of a forest fire: If you suppress it substantially in a given area, and then you don't clean it up, you don't finish it, it's coming right back. That's the problem we're seeing right now around the country. You just have to assume everybody who has not been infected with this virus is vulnerable to being infected. And if we don't take steps to stop that transmission — either by limiting how you have contact with people or having a vaccine — it's just going to keep marching right along until it finds us.
Thinking that this is just "burned out' or it's no longer around is dangerous. We're collectively setting up fuel for the virus and all it will take is the right number of variables to come into alignment for the next cluster to unfold.

Read more here as to a way out of this. This is not an easy path, but it's also not impossible. However, it would require federal action and support of elected officials, so instead, expect to see 200K+ deaths soon enough.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

$iljanus wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:43 pmRepeat this to yourself Smoove and let me know when you’ve memorized it so I can delete this post...
The lettuce is in the crisper.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:09 pmThinking that this is just "burned out' or it's no longer around is dangerous. We're collectively setting up fuel for the virus and all it will take is the right number of variables to come into alignment for the next cluster to unfold.
I'm always amazed at people's willingness to overlook the vast data saying otherwise to find hope in some 'miracle' elsewhere that doesn't look remotely anything like what we are experiencing. It is hard to say they are definitively wrong but it looks delusional.
Read more here as to a way out of this. This is not an easy path, but it's also not impossible. However, it would require federal action and support of elected officials, so instead, expect to see 200K+ deaths soon enough.
It's only impossible because of one man. We are going to keep marching to hundreds of thousands of deaths before we can get the leadership in place to even try to address this. And then they'll be undermined every step forward. Someday we might look back fondly when we thought this was just going to be a 'Marathon'.
malchior

Post by malchior »

A case study in how this end of summer/fall is going to go.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

"Viral photo" :D :(
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

2 days seems like it'll be enough to get this outbreak under control.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

malchior wrote:2 days seems like it'll be enough to get this outbreak under control.

In a civilized country they would also offer testing for all students at this point but since they aren't an NBA team, it is what it is....
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:30 pmIdiots gather in large numbers without masks.

That isn't even newsworthy anymore.
No, not at all. Sadly, every time I see this I automatically assume these are Trump's fanatical base and it hurts less to think of them being unable to vote come this fall. I know some must not be, statistically, but any sane person should be wearing a mask.

Based on my grocery outing this weekend, mask compliance in Maine is at an all-time high. Most of the handful of people I saw without masks seriously looked like they knew they were doing something wrong and were itching for someone to engage with them.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

The masks mandates near me in Florida are starting to expire. Martin County let their mask mandate expire on Saturday. School starts Tuesday.

What could go wrong?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Paingod wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:26 am Based on my grocery outing this weekend, mask compliance in Maine is at an all-time high.
Short of when they were limiting the number of store entries and made everyone line up six feet apart outside, this was the case for me this weekend as well. 100% of people had masks on when I was indoors and I only saw one person wearing a mask below their nose. Outside and children/young adults? That's a different story. There is no mask wearing (wherein I don't blame them) but there is also no social distancing. I have no idea what happens when they young groups meet a common destination, nor if they do or if they only gather outside.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Outdoors you'll see various levels of compliance here in NJ. Some places - especially the Jersey shore are pretty bad. There are a lot of photos of the beach/boardwalks where mask adherence is not what it is supposed to be.

Indoors is another matter. I would estimate we have near 100% mask compliance here indoors in my area. I actually recently walked into a pool store and the woman behind me came in without a mask. The kid there yelled 'Where is your mask' and she eeked out loud and went back to her car to get it. That is the only time I can remember seeing a person without a mask indoors in a store since at least early April.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

To borrow a phrase, Winter is coming:
The good news: The United States has a window of opportunity to beat back Covid-19 before things get much, much worse.

The bad news: That window is rapidly closing. And the country seems unwilling or unable to seize the moment.

Unless Americans use the dwindling weeks between now and the onset of “indoor weather” to tamp down transmission in the country, this winter could be Dickensianly bleak, public health experts warn.

The country has fallen into a dangerous pattern, Osterholm said, where a spike in cases in a location leads to some temporary restraint from people who eventually become alarmed enough to start to take precautions. But as soon as cases start to plateau or decline a little, victory over the virus is declared and people think it’s safe to resume normal life.

“It’s like an all or nothing phenomenon, right?” said Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases. “You all locked down or you get so discouraged with being lockdown that you decide you’re going to be in crowded bars … you can have indoor parties with no masks. You can do all the things that are going to get you in trouble.”

Osterholm said with the K-12 school year resuming in some parts of the country or set to start — along with universities — in a few weeks, transmission will take off and cases will start to climb again. He predicted the next peaks will “exceed by far the peak we have just experienced. Winter is only going to reinforce that. Indoor air,” he said.
malchior

Post by malchior »

@Smoove_B. There has been a lot of noise about how the CFR for Covid-19 has dropped. I've seen some discussion ascribing it to lower risk populations getting infected (the young) and better treatment. Has there been any discussion that you've seen about the co-incidence of pneumonia or other severe respiratory diseases? I wonder what happens if it roar back at the same time flu/pneumonia uptick. It could be a horrific combo effect right?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:25 am @Smoove_B. There has been a lot of noise about how the CFR for Covid-19 has dropped. I've seen some discussion ascribing it to lower risk populations getting infected (the young) and better treatment. Has there been any discussion that you've seen about the co-incidence of pneumonia or other severe respiratory diseases? I wonder what happens if it roar back at the same time flu/pneumonia uptick. It could be a horrific combo effect right?
Tangentially related, could we see a reduction in seasonal flu due to COVID efforts like social distancing, masking and obsessive hand washing/surface cleaning?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Probably the best explainer I've seen.

I do think so much hinges on whatever is happening at a local level when you get your direct medical care. Are the hospitals overwhelmed? How far into the surge are they? I don't think it explains all the deaths, but at some point the bigger picture likely impacts what's happening to individuals.

I've seen a few people that are trying to comb through data and pick apart the excess mortality data and try to figure out how much could potentially be COVID related (particularly if death is listed as pneumonia), however with the ongoing nature of things I think we're likely still too deep in the issue to say for sure.

I think there's good cause to be concerned over issues related to the cold/flu season here in North America, but what I haven't seen too many people saying is that if (in a perfect world) we're all mainly inside and away from each other (you know, because we're making a coordinated effort to deal with COVID), colds and influenza are less likely to spread as well. Same with wearing masks. Having everyone still wearing them (again, varies by location) will likely impact cold/flu rates in a region. It happened in the Southern Hemisphere, so why not here? Given what we're seeing broadly in America, its seems likely there will be pockets (because, Freedom), but the spread of influenza might look quite different this year, nationwide.

I haven't seen anything specific to risks or outcomes with comorbidity associated with colds, flu or other respiratory illnesses. And that could be in part because of how the Southern Hemisphere is handling it (i.e. we don't have data). Like sending children to school in high-transmission communities, people might be looking to the US in the next 3/4 months to see what happens when influenza and COVID are circulating freely.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Dropped from what? The worldwide CFR is still a shade under 3.7%, which is where it’s been for a while. But even that number assumes that every positive test result report is both accurate, and unique (that number is currently about 20,085,336 according to Worldometer).

And that also assumes that deaths aren’t being undercounted anywhere in the world (the death toll stands at 735,042ish).

The CFR in the US is about 3.2%, which is down slightly from when I last calculated it at about 3.4%. The only problem there is that the CFR goes down as the case counts increase, while the death count increases typically lag. So you get a window where things look like they are improving, but they aren’t really.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:40 am
malchior wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:25 am @Smoove_B. There has been a lot of noise about how the CFR for Covid-19 has dropped. I've seen some discussion ascribing it to lower risk populations getting infected (the young) and better treatment. Has there been any discussion that you've seen about the co-incidence of pneumonia or other severe respiratory diseases? I wonder what happens if it roar back at the same time flu/pneumonia uptick. It could be a horrific combo effect right?
Tangentially related, could we see a reduction in seasonal flu due to COVID efforts like social distancing, masking and obsessive hand washing/surface cleaning?
Anecdotally, my physician friend said that he's not seeing the usual waves of respiratory illnesses that are a routine part of his job. Whenever a respiratory bug goes around, his patients with asthma and other breathing problems parade through his clinic...and he almost always catches a mild case of it himself. He hasn't seen any waves like that since the pandemic started, and deduces that the precautions we're all taking against Covid are coincidentally reducing the common flareups of "lung crud." He said it's been nice not having any respiratory infections for the past six months. Part of that is attributable to telemedicine -- patients with any potential Covid symptoms are not welcome in-person, so the fact that they aren't parading in doesn't necessarily mean they aren't catching lung crud.
malchior

Post by malchior »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:48 am Dropped from what? The worldwide CFR is still a shade under 3.7%, which is where it’s been for a while. But even that number assumes that every positive test result report is both accurate, and unique (that number is currently about 20,085,336 according to Worldometer). And that also assumes that deaths aren’t being undercounted anywhere in the world (the death toll stands at 735,042ish).
I'm with you here but even then it still appears that there have been less deaths recently.
The CFR in the US is about 3.2%, which is down slightly from when I last calculated it at about 3.4%. The only problem there is that the CFR goes down as the case counts increase, while the death count increases typically lag. So you get a window where things look like they are improving, but they aren’t really.
Right but they have had long enough in Texas/Florida to see that it appears at least now to be lower and there has been some initial discussion about why that might be. Is it proning? Is it remdesivir and steroid treaments (which made SARS and MERS worse)? Is it because it is far more fatal to the elderly? Anti-coagulants? All of the above? What I haven't seen is a discussion of coincidence of other disease which is why I was curious if anyone is really talking about it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Teachers from NJ school district have resorted to running a GoFundMe to get money so they can purchase PPE. Why? Because the district's plans for reopening in a few weeks specificlally indicate teachers are solely responsible for having their own PPE. Insanity. For reference:
On May 15, 2008, a new OSHA rule about employer payment for PPE went into effect. With few exceptions, OSHA now requires employers to pay for personal protective equipment used to comply with OSHA standards. The final rule does not create new requirements regarding what PPE employers must provide.The standard makes clear that employers cannot require workers to provide their own PPE and the worker’s use of PPE they already own must be completely voluntary. Even when a worker provides his or her own PPE, the employer must ensure that the equipment is adequate to protect the worker from hazards at the workplace.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

And as a reminder, from Vice last week:
Despite that everyone knows better as the pandemic rages on indefinitely, bending the rules to see, or even stay with, family and friends without masks (or while being otherwise lax about safety) is still very common across the country. In late July, the Washington Post reported that people who’d been going out to restaurants, bars, and jobs were infecting older, vulnerable family members they lived with at home. On Tuesday, Block Club Chicago published a report showing that gatherings among, specifically, close friends and family are driving up cases of coronavirus.

“I know that you feel safe when you are among friends that you know,” said Allison Arwady, commissioner of Chicago’s Department of Public Health. “It’s easy to let your guard down, to not wear masks, to not social distance… As people are letting down their guard, they are out potentially contracting COVID and then bringing it back into households.”

In the past month alone, though:
A dad in Florida was hospitalized with coronavirus after getting infected by his 21-year-old son
A woman in California was placed on a ventilator with coronavirus, likely after getting infected at a small family gathering in Georgia
A dad in Texas died of COVID-19 after celebrating Father’s Day with family members (at least six of whom became infected, as well) at a restaurant
Eight of the 11 attendees at a “mostly outside” maskless family gathering in Alabama—at which two doctors were present—ended up testing positive for COVID-19
Stay vigilant. I am freaking mentally and physically exhausted from all this; it's never going to end.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:03 pmStay vigilant. I am freaking mentally and physically exhausted from all this; it's never going to end.
What's worse are people who are older and listen to Trump. You are alienating them by protecting them which is infuriating.