What happens if Trump steals the next election?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Drazzil

What happens if Trump steals the next election?

Post by Drazzil »

What happens if Trump steals the next election? Either through ballot stuffing or election interference? Could the military step in? Would the people protest? What happens then?
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
hepcat

Re: What happens if Trump steals the next election?

Post by hepcat »

I highly doubt he could/would be able to pull that off. The more likely situation is that a lot of idiots vote for him...again.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Impeachment proceedings would progress.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I have thought about whether or not I can fully trust the results of the 2020 election, provided Trump is still in office for the election (and maybe even if he's not).

After all, he's done absolutely nothing to stop Russian interference and is openly trying to get foreign powers to assist on his behalf. Is anybody going to trust another narrow Trump victory?

I really can't even contemplate 4 more years of GOP presidential power because it's too depressing.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not trusting the election process is an intentional by-product of Putin's efforts. Really, he's achieved so much more than he ever likely thought possible. Influencing Trump was one thing. Having the support of a complicit Congress? Who saw that coming?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I think that if our country survives this we will no longer be able to give presidents a "free pass" for stuff they did in office. We cannot and remain a country.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:37 pm Is anybody going to trust another narrow Trump victory?
I don't accept the last one. He lost the popular vote by 2.8 million; he only gamed the EC by 80,000 votes spread over four states; and he could only do that with Russian help (and Democratic ineptitude, but that part's not on him).

He got away with it once. If he is the nominee, he can do it again. Voter suppression is in full swing; the Russians have had four years to hone their methods; and Tulsi's going to go independent.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Kraken wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:34 pm
YellowKing wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:37 pm Is anybody going to trust another narrow Trump victory?
I don't accept the last one. He lost the popular vote by 2.8 million; he only gamed the EC by 80,000 votes spread over four states; and he could only do that with Russian help (and Democratic ineptitude, but that part's not on him).

He got away with it once. If he is the nominee, he can do it again. Voter suppression is in full swing; the Russians have had four years to hone their methods; and Tulsi's going to go independent.
I can beat that. I don't accept the Bush 00 victory. That was the time I believe that historians will point to the 2000 election as the moment we lost our government.

One of my high school teachers said one of his eastern european friends was amazed when Clinton didn't order tanks on the street following Bush v Gore. I remember thinking he should have. Time has NOT changed my opinion.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:37 pm I really can't even contemplate 4 more years of GOP presidential power because it's too depressing.
New Zealand Skilled Migrant Visa
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:57 pm

I can beat that. I don't accept the Bush 00 victory. That was the time I believe that historians will point to the 2000 election as the moment we lost our government.

One of my high school teachers said one of his eastern european friends was amazed when Clinton didn't order tanks on the street following Bush v Gore. I remember thinking he should have. Time has NOT changed my opinion.
:roll:
Hodor.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Trump got almost half the votes last time. The people who voted for him last time are going to do it again. We may not want to believe it but all these investigations and impeachment hearings have not bothered his fanbase.
Especially against a liberal Democratic contender.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

This may be the stupidest thing I’ve seen posted on these boards, and given some of our more infamous members, that’s saying something.

Please, don’t post stupid crap like this.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Kurth wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:48 pm

This may be the stupidest thing I’ve seen posted on these boards, and given some of our more infamous members, that’s saying something.

Please, don’t post stupid crap like this.
What happens if Trump manages to swing ANOTHER election and the now "conservative" supreme court rules the President not answerable to congress?

Remember now the highest court in our land has already taken to meddling in election processes to stop recounts, to say nothing of citizens united. How would it be stupid to say I wish Bill Clinton had launched immediate investigations into what the Repubs had done to infulence the election and refused to hand over reigns until we found out how deep the rot really went?

If I were arguing against myself I would say that something like that would have set a horrible precident in future elections in which a sitting president could disregard the results of an election.

To which I would say perhaps. Clinton could maybe have used his lame duck period to launch investigations into everything *else* other then the recount. Tampering, supression, florida palm beach, the whole 9. If he found fuckery THEN he could make a case directly to the American people. A nice end run against the SC. Maybe it would work, maybe we still have Bush.

I may have overstated things, on reflection when I said Clinton should have had tanks on the street. That was stupid. I just don't see how things could be worse then the constitutional crisis we face today.

Good lord we're fucked. The senate won't vote to impeach, the supreme court may rule Trump not accountable, using legal gymnastics, and Trump could get re elected LEGALLY never mind help from the Russians.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was about to post something about the real danger here being that Russia has so degraded our system that we risk part of the population not accepting the results of an election that goes against their expectations leading to actual violence.

I see I shouldn't have bothered.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:49 am I was about to post something about the real danger here being that Russia has so degraded our system that we risk part of the population not accepting the results of an election that goes against their expectations leading to actual violence.

I see I shouldn't have bothered.
I haven't trusted elections since you know when. Can we go back to paper ballots please?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I've used a paper ballot for many many years.

Get over yourself with your conspiracy theory, hope the system will burn down bullshit.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:25 pm Trump got almost half the votes last time. The people who voted for him last time are going to do it again. We may not want to believe it but all these investigations and impeachment hearings have not bothered his fanbase.
This...sadly

Also, no one has “stolen” an election. That conspiracy crap is just that...crap. Voters may have been swayed by Russian propaganda in the last election, but to say Bush vs Gore should have resulted in an armed rebellion just goes to prove you don’t really believe in a truly free society. You want a dictatorship.
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I honestly can't tell sometimes if he wants anarchy or a dictatorship, so long as the system burns in the process.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think he's just angry and refuses to look for the real reasons as to why that is. It's easier to blame everything around you than it is to actually take stock of your own life.
He won. Period.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

He just wants attention and he gets it here. Negative attention is still attention.

You can only sit around unemployed talking to cats for so many hours in a day before shitposting becomes your only means of communication with the outside world.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, someone decided to go to 11, it seems.
He won. Period.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hepcat wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:05 am
dbt1949 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:25 pm Trump got almost half the votes last time. The people who voted for him last time are going to do it again. We may not want to believe it but all these investigations and impeachment hearings have not bothered his fanbase.
This...sadly

Also, no one has “stolen” an election. That conspiracy crap is just that...crap. Voters may have been swayed by Russian propaganda in the last election, but to say Bush vs Gore should have resulted in an armed rebellion just goes to prove you don’t really believe in a truly free society. You want a dictatorship.
Yeah. I backed off that didn't I? *checks* Yep
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

pr0ner wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:16 am I honestly can't tell sometimes if he wants anarchy or a dictatorship, so long as the system burns in the process.
Nope. Used to hope for that. No longer. I'd be it's first victim.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hepcat wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:55 am I think he's just angry and refuses to look for the real reasons as to why that is. It's easier to blame everything around you than it is to actually take stock of your own life.
Took stock of my own life. I actually *like* my life now. For the first time I can remember. I'm happy.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Z-Corn wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:27 am He just wants attention and he gets it here. Negative attention is still attention.

You can only sit around unemployed talking to cats for so many hours in a day before shitposting becomes your only means of communication with the outside world.
You may have something there. I may need to rethink my extreme views before I post them here. It certainally does me no favors in the form of the dogpile, and you guys no favors in the irritation. Maybe I need to learn to keep some stuff to myself.

Tell you guys what. If'd affect your perceptions of me I promise to think about things a little more before I post them. If I "shitpost" in the future point it out, and I'll walk it back.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

You know what? This seem to be a long ingrained pattern of behavior for me and... I'm sorry. I will endaevor to change in the future.

Now back to the question. This could be a great thread for examining all the myriad ways Trump could infulence the election.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Drazzil wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:56 am
pr0ner wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:16 am I honestly can't tell sometimes if he wants anarchy or a dictatorship, so long as the system burns in the process.
Nope. Used to hope for that. No longer. I'd be it's first victim.
That's not what your manic posting history here, even recently, would indicate.
Hodor.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Haven't we already been debating all these ideas in various other threads? Could you at least make this a poll?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:37 pm I have thought about whether or not I can fully trust the results of the 2020 election, provided Trump is still in office for the election (and maybe even if he's not).

After all, he's done absolutely nothing to stop Russian interference and is openly trying to get foreign powers to assist on his behalf. Is anybody going to trust another narrow Trump victory?

I really can't even contemplate 4 more years of GOP presidential power because it's too depressing.
Votes are handled at the individual state level, with both Democrats and Republicans in the state election bureaucracies participating. It is highly unlikely that Trump could do anything to change an individual state vote count.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:18 pm
YellowKing wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:37 pm I really can't even contemplate 4 more years of GOP presidential power because it's too depressing.
New Zealand Skilled Migrant Visa
i'm 25 points short for qualification, but getting an actual job offer is an additional 50-60 points.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:43 pm Not trusting the election process is an intentional by-product of Putin's efforts. Really, he's achieved so much more than he ever likely thought possible. Influencing Trump was one thing. Having the support of a complicit Congress? Who saw that coming?
This. Absolutely.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Youse guys are projecting, stealing elections is more of a democrat forte. :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Grifman wrote:Votes are handled at the individual state level, with both Democrats and Republicans in the state election bureaucracies participating. It is highly unlikely that Trump could do anything to change an individual state vote count.
I'm not referring to direct vote manipulation, but similar psychological meddling as was done in 2016. Russian money fueling a third-party spoiler candidate. Some October surprise directed towards the Democratic candidate paid for by a foreign power, etc.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:15 pm Youse guys are projecting, stealing elections is more of a democrat forte. :mrgreen:
Too bad that no one has ever, ever produced one damn shred of evidence that that has ever happened. But you know that. You just have trouble with the truth...like your orange dear leader.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The evidence shows Republican voting scandals. The latest include Republican Mark Harris interfering with absentee ballots in North Carolina and National college voter suppression

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grifman wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:15 pm
YellowKing wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:37 pm I have thought about whether or not I can fully trust the results of the 2020 election, provided Trump is still in office for the election (and maybe even if he's not).

Votes are handled at the individual state level, with both Democrats and Republicans in the state election bureaucracies participating. It is highly unlikely that Trump could do anything to change an individual state vote count.
What I worry about, especially given reported penetration of state databases in 2016 and Trump's intentional indifference to this subject, is a scenario where hackers (Russian or otherwise) delete or alter voting records in democratic areas in key states, especially ones with GOP secretaries of state who won't be too inclined to look too hard at voter complaints.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Perhaps, if you really aren't trolling, instead of thinking twice about sharing views we all react strongly to, you might put that energy into thinking about why we'd react strongly to them.

Hint: Unfounded conspiracy theories and suggestions of extreme, violent responses are both likely to get such a reaction for some reason.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)