The Trump/GOP Racism Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

YellowKing

Re: The Trump/GOP Racism Thread

Post by YellowKing »

Rand Paul wrote:there are many immigrants and refugees who are great citizens
I bet he knows a lot of black people that are "really well-spoken" as well.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The more he speaks, I find the less I am surprised that his neighbor throttled him.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
House Republicans have scheduled their yearly policy retreat for a downtown Baltimore hotel in September, according to two senior Republicans familiar with the plans.
The Republicans spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe arrangements that have yet to be made public. The website for the hotel, the Baltimore Marriott Waterfront, and multiple third-party hotel booking sites show the hotel as sold out for the days of the retreat, Sept. 12 to 14, while showing availability at other nearby hotels.
The Marriott Waterfront is not in Cummings’s district, though just barely — it is four blocks inside the edge of Democrat John Sarbanes’s circuitous 3rd District in Baltimore’s Harbor East neighborhood.
Baltimore has been a frequent destination for both parties’ legislative retreats. Republicans last held their retreat in the same Marriott in 2016; Democrats huddled at a nearby Hyatt Regency last year.

Lawmakers and congressional staffers are fond of Baltimore as a retreat location because of its proximity to Washington, cutting down on travel time to and from the Capitol, as well as the wealth of off-premises tourism options for family members who sometimes join them.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Grifman wrote:It is so sad how Trump corrupts everyone. Mark Meadows, a House Republican was accused of racism a while back and Elijah Cummings came to his defense, calling him a friend and saying that he was not a racist. Meadows was almost tearful (the video of the incident is out there) as Cummings defended him. Yet, Meadows has said nothing in the past week. I am more saddened by this than I am mad.
His official response: very fine people on both sides.
"No one works harder for his district than Elijah," Meadows said in the text message. "He's passionate about the people he represents, and no, Elijah is not a racist. I'm friends with both President Trump and Chairman Cummings. I know them both well and neither is a racist."
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Good column in Time on why Republicans Want a White Republic.
The determination to build MAGA Land explains why what should be obvious tripwires – disrespecting military heroes; engaging in widespread corruption; cavorting with a communist dictator in North Korea and a journalist-killing authoritarian in Saudi Arabia; dodging multiple allegations of sexual assault, including rape; creating horrific scenes of White House-sponsored cruelty on the border; and believing Putin over our own intelligence agencies about Russian interference in the 2016 election – have all failed to dislodge one of the most unpopular presidents in recorded history. Put simply, because Trump promises Republicans a return to white dominance, he is more important to the GOP and its base than the country those in power took an oath to support and defend.
That's what this election is about.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

double post
Last edited by Scraper on Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
FTE
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Scraper wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:01 am Over the weekend I drove through large parts of rural Indiana, Illinois and (most importantly for this observation) Wisconsin. These places should be hot beds for Trump supporters. I actively looked for any signs of support for Trump on those country roads and I did not see a single one. I know that's not scientific evidence, but I would have thought for sure that I would have seen at least one in Indiana.
Most of us don't want to get our houses or businesses burned down by someone with TDS so we keep our Trump merchandise in the closet. My sister bought me a "Trump 2020" hat and on the bag it came in she wrote "use discretion when you wear this". :wink:

I don't even have kids to worry about. If I was a Trump supporter with kids I'd be afraid they might be denied access to a college education because of my beliefs so I'd really keep that stuff hidden.
two months
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Good on you, helping Trump pay for his golf vacations. Buy enough of those hats and he won't go back to Washington until they change the locks after the dems beat his orange ass.
I don't even have kids to worry about. If I was a Trump supporter with kids I'd be afraid they might be denied access to a college education because of my beliefs so I'd really keep that stuff hidden.
:lol:

Oh wait...are you being serious about Trumpies wanting to go to college?

Ah well, you know what they say.

Last edited by hepcat on Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

With all the strides Trump and the GOP have made in the last 3 years, it makes me sad to think so many are afraid to publicly demonstrate their support. Come out of your closets, Trumpers - wear all that MAGA gear loud and proud!

I can't say I've seen an increase or decrease in visible support. Given everything, I strongly suspect those that are wiling to declare their pride are but a fraction of those that silently support Trump and the GOP from the sidelines. As always, I fear them more.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:07 am Oh wait...are you being serious about Trumpies wanting to go to college?
I'm sure those with kids tell them to run everything they're taught through a BS filter. :wink:
two months
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Things like climate change and basic math?
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump said this...he actually said this
“The African American people have been calling the White House,” Trump claimed. “They have never been so happy about what a president has done.”
:lol:
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:39 pm Trump said this...he actually said this
“The African American people have been calling the White House,” Trump claimed. “They have never been so happy about what a president has done.”
I'm surprised he didn't add that it is because he eats KFC in the White House.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Is it possible to FOIA transcripts for calls on the public White House line? Or do "the African American people" have access.to the private line?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

His use of the english language is interesting. Not "African Americans" but the "African American people" like they're from a different country. And I guess in his mind they are.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm guessing in his mind that because the phone on his desk is black, he's assuming that it's the African American hotline?
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Probably has all sorts of color coded phones. A brown one for brown folks, yellow one for the Orientals, etc.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It didn't occur to me that the peoplesuffix in that context is weird but now that you mention it I can't not think of it as weird. I don't see a dog whistle or anything but now I'm stuck with who says that?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:10 pm It didn't occur to me that the peoplesuffix in that context is weird but now that you mention it I can't not think of it as weird. I don't see a dog whistle or anything but now I'm stuck with who says that?
Old people, pompous people, old pompous people. He fits all of that.

Or it's just a casual indifference towards anyone or any group that's not of use to him or of his "people".
Black lives matter!

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Me thinks the racism might go back a liiiiitle farther than just Drumpf.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... on/595102/
The day after the United Nations voted to recognize the People’s Republic of China, then–California Governor Ronald Reagan phoned President Richard Nixon at the White House and vented his frustration at the delegates who had sided against the United States. “Last night, I tell you, to watch that thing on television as I did,” Reagan said. “Yeah,” Nixon interjected. Reagan forged ahead with his complaint: “To see those, those monkeys from those African countries—damn them, they’re still uncomfortable wearing shoes!” Nixon gave a huge laugh.
Recording available at the link above.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Sepiche wrote:Me thinks the racism might go back a liiiiitle farther than just Drumpf.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... on/595102/
The day after the United Nations voted to recognize the People’s Republic of China, then–California Governor Ronald Reagan phoned President Richard Nixon at the White House and vented his frustration at the delegates who had sided against the United States. “Last night, I tell you, to watch that thing on television as I did,” Reagan said. “Yeah,” Nixon interjected. Reagan forged ahead with his complaint: “To see those, those monkeys from those African countries—damn them, they’re still uncomfortable wearing shoes!” Nixon gave a huge laugh.
Recording available at the link above.
Yup, pompous old people. A tale as old as time as Mrs. Potts would sing.

In any case, Trump is the racist asshole president of our time.
Black lives matter!

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Patti Davis: The Ronald Reagan who raised me would want forgiveness for his ‘monkeys’ remark
There is no defense, no rationalization, no suitable explanation for what my father said on that taped phone conversation.

If I had read his words as a quotation, and not heard them, I’d have said they were fabricated. That he would never say such things. Because I never heard anything like that from him. In fact, when I was growing up, bigotry and racism were addressed in my family by making it clear that these were toxic and sinister beliefs that should always be called out and shunned. I can’t tell you about the man who was on the phone with Richard Nixon that day in 1971. He’s not a man I knew.
The best I can do — the only thing I can do — is find forgiveness in my heart for a conversation that stands in stark contrast to how he lived and how he taught his children to live. Forgiveness is always hard — it’s a wrestling match deep in the soul. And it’s even harder when the world is watching and judging. In reaching for forgiveness in myself, my hope is that others will forgive my father for words that should never have been uttered in any conversation. Words that, for those of us who knew Ronald Reagan, will always be an aberration.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Smoove_B wrote:With all the strides Trump and the GOP have made in the last 3 years, it makes me sad to think so many are afraid to publicly demonstrate their support. Come out of your closets, Trumpers - wear all that MAGA gear loud and proud!

I can't say I've seen an increase or decrease in visible support. Given everything, I strongly suspect those that are wiling to declare their pride are but a fraction of those that silently support Trump and the GOP from the sidelines. As always, I fear them more.
This is interesting. I work in DC and see tons of tourists on the mall. At the beginning of this “administration” I’d see people (especially kids in school groups) wearing MAGA hats. This summer barely anyone wears a MAGA hat. The last time I saw a kid wearing one I saw another older adult walk over and say something to the teenager. I didn’t over hear the conversation but I imagined he was encouraging the kid to wear the hat. It was really creepy and I could tell the kid was a bit creeped out too. Note the older adult didn’t have the balls to wear his MAGA swag either.

I just don’t think it’s cool anymore to be overtly racist.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

There's a dad of one the kids in my kid's archery league. He wears a MAGA hat (he has two, one red and one camo) but I'm pretty sure he wears it in some kind of ironic counter-protest way. He is a total hipster with beard, et al and drives a Model X. Seeing it on his head is like seeing a US WWII soldier with a stolen Mauser or something.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Scoop20906 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:52 amI just don’t think it’s cool anymore to be overtly racist.
I wish I could get a photo of the pickup truck I've seen three times now - American Flag, Confederate Flag and Trump 2020 all coming out of trailer hitch and waving above the bed. I don't see too many yard signs or hats (like I did right after the election), but the car paraphernalia is the same. Even though we moved, we're still in (R) stronghold territory, though not nearly as deep as we were before. I guess I'll be more curious to see what kind of "flair" comes out as we inch closer to the election. I really don't want them to slink back into the shadows. I've come to appreciate knowing exactly where people stand, particularly people I've known for years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Uh oh, sounds like somebody's feelings are getting hurt. If only there was a Trump-themed T-shirt I could send them.
Donald Trump’s supporters would like to be clear: They are tired of being called racists.

Last night, Trump supporters in Cincinnati were eager to defend their man.

“It’s amazing that when Donald Trump makes a comment about Baltimore, it’s racist, it’s terrible, it’s this. But when the mayor of that town, when the congressman from that town, says the exact same thing, ‘Oh! No problem!’” Trump Jr. boomed, referring to a statement that Cummings made in 1999, calling Baltimore “drug-infested.”

“It’s sad,” he continued, “that using ‘racism’ has become the easy button of left-wing politics. All right? Because guess what? It still is an issue … But by making a mockery of it by saying every time you can’t win a fight—‘Oh! We’re just gonna push the button! It’s racist’—you hurt those that are actually afflicted by it. People hear it, they roll their eyes, and they walk on. And that’s a disgrace, and that’s what you’ve been given in the identity politics of the left.”

When I asked Roseanna and Amy whether they would join in a “Send her back!” chant were it to take place that night, both women said no, but out of deference to Trump. “He apologized for that, so I think us as Trump supporters will respect him for that,” Roseanna said. She then shared her thoughts on the chant’s target, Representative Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, who came to America as a refugee from Somalia.

“Look, but she is gonna get—you know, I don’t want her stinkin’ Muslim crap in my country,” Roseanna said.

“Sharia law,” Amy chimed in. Her iridescent CoverGirl highlighter glinted under the stadium lights. “Sharia law.”
But my favorite:
Robert Morris, a 72-year-old man who was fixing his van outside the arena before the rally started, had predicted as much to me. “We’re not that kind. They got a little carried away there,” he said of the Greenville crowd. Morris, too, said he was tired of being called a racist. Just yesterday, he said, he’d given a stranger $20 to help his foster child, who was black. And he sends money as often as he can to a school charity in the Dominican Republic. So if anybody started a chant like that, Morris said, “I’ll tell them, ‘Shut it down. You’re acting like them. We’re not them.’ The Democrats—they call names, they accuse, they’re always slandering, they always have a negative.”

“Send her back?” No, he said, that wouldn’t happen again, because “we’re positive.” He chuckled a bit. “But I’d buy her a ticket so she can go on a cruise back.” Omar was, he said, “a very ungrateful person.”
malchior

Post by malchior »

When I asked Roseanna and Amy whether they would join in a “Send her back!” chant were it to take place that night, both women said no, but out of deference to Trump. “He apologized for that, so I think us as Trump supporters will respect him for that,” Roseanna said. She then shared her thoughts on the chant’s target, Representative Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, who came to America as a refugee from Somalia.

“Look, but she is gonna get—you know, I don’t want her stinkin’ Muslim crap in my country,” Roseanna said.

“Sharia law,” Amy chimed in. Her iridescent CoverGirl highlighter glinted under the stadium lights. “Sharia law.”
That isn't all 'racism'; it is also xenophobic and flat out ignorant. They just aren't smart enough to know how wrong or in the case of sharia law how dumb those words are. You can't fix that easily.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I would love to ask either of them to define what Sharia Law is.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

USA Today
President Donald Trump took to Twitter on Friday to call attention to a break-in at the home of a Baltimore congressman he has been sharply criticizing for days.

Trump was referring to reports in Baltimore media that police are investigating a burglary at Rep. Elijah Cummings’ home in West Baltimore that took place on Saturday.

“Really bad news! The Baltimore house of Elijah Cummings was robbed,” Trump tweeted on Friday. “Too bad!”
Cummings confirmed the incident on Friday, saying the would-be intruder left his home after he yelled.

“I was notified of the intrusion by my security system, and I scared the intruder away by yelling before the person gained entry into the residential portion of the house," Cumming said in a statement. "I thank the Baltimore Police Department for their response and ask that all further inquiries be directed to them.”
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:03 pm USA Today
President Donald Trump took to Twitter on Friday to call attention to a break-in at the home of a Baltimore congressman he has been sharply criticizing for days.

Trump was referring to reports in Baltimore media that police are investigating a burglary at Rep. Elijah Cummings’ home in West Baltimore that took place on Saturday.

“Really bad news! The Baltimore house of Elijah Cummings was robbed,” Trump tweeted on Friday. “Too bad!”
Cummings confirmed the incident on Friday, saying the would-be intruder left his home after he yelled.

“I was notified of the intrusion by my security system, and I scared the intruder away by yelling before the person gained entry into the residential portion of the house," Cumming said in a statement. "I thank the Baltimore Police Department for their response and ask that all further inquiries be directed to them.”
Somebody was just looking for that $16 billion :wink: https://www.bizpacreview.com/2019/07/30 ... -go-779899
two months
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

He has a house with 'portions.'
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Senator McCollister
‏ @SenMcCollister

The Republican Party is enabling white supremacy in our country. As a lifelong Republican, it pains me to say this, but it’s the truth.
It is nice how he clarifies his position in the opening salvo. We're complicit, we enable, but that doesn't mean we're all bad.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:12 pm

Senator McCollister
‏ @SenMcCollister

The Republican Party is enabling white supremacy in our country. As a lifelong Republican, it pains me to say this, but it’s the truth.
It is nice how he clarifies his position in the opening salvo. We're complicit, we enable, but that doesn't mean we're all bad.
"We just really need their votes" is the text between the lines, right?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Senator McCollister
‏ @SenMcCollister

That's unfair. He's saying his party is complicit and enable but not all republicans are bad. There's a bumper sticker going around that says as much but then it concludes "but you're OK with it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Paingod wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:14 pm

Senator McCollister
‏ @SenMcCollister

Because if they don't pander to the deplorables, they'll flip to the donkey team, right?
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:10 pm

Senator McCollister
‏ @SenMcCollister

Because if they don't pander to the deplorables, they'll flip to the donkey team, right?
I'm confused - seems like everyone is missing the point? Or are we quibbling that a Republican politician in office denouncing his party's turn towards white supremacy isn't also attacking the voters that he's trying to persuade?
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:53 pm
Jeff V wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:10 pm

Senator McCollister
‏ @SenMcCollister

I'm confused - seems like everyone is missing the point? Or are we quibbling that a Republican politician in office denouncing his party's turn towards white supremacy isn't also attacking the voters that he's trying to persuade?
Seems like the latter to me.
Hodor.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

An excellent and epic thread by Michael Harriott, covering post-Civil War race rebellions by white supremacists:

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

AWS260 wrote:An excellent and epic thread by Michael Harriott, covering post-Civil War race rebellions by white supremacists:

Sobering.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scoop20906 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:11 pm
AWS260 wrote:An excellent and epic thread by Michael Harriott, covering post-Civil War race rebellions by white supremacists:

Sobering.
I believe you meant to say horrifying.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.