The Trump Impeachment Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: The Trump Impeachment Thread

Post by Smoove_B »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:28 pm Cant wait for the Trump 2024 campaign to ramp up now. It’s going to be a long, loud 4 years.
This is why I thought there *might* be a chance for them to hold him accountable - they could have used it as a way to officially break away from Trumpism and try to reclaim/rebrand his message. However, by voting this way, my take is that they've given him the green light to run again. Now, maybe they're hoping he won't live long enough to be viable in 2024, but as long as he can keep the GOP deploarables motivated to vote, they can continue to benefit from supporting him.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
raydude

Post by raydude »

Dude, I sincerely hope Trump runs again. Here's my dream scenario:

Trump decides to go all-in on Trump 2024 and gins up his fund-raising. GOP will have no choice but to go along with it. Then sometime between now and 2024 his loans come due. In order to preserve his properties Trump dips into his warchest and in the GOP's warchest to pay off his loans. He and the GOP enter the race in 2024 with severely depleted funds due to Donald's dipping into the GOP coffers. Then Trump defeats Rubio and Cruz in the Primaries again and humiliates them publicly again. Finally, Trump loses the general election as the voters decide what the Senate could not do - that Trump is not fit to hold office.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Right, that's the comedy ending. But let's imagine where Trump incites the next group of deplorables into violence and this time they bring guns.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As much as I had pipe dreams like everyone else, we knew that it was always going to turn out this way, so maybe now we can finally stop with the theater and maybe get something done.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:03 pm Right, that's the comedy ending. But let's imagine where Trump incites the next group of deplorables into violence and this time they bring guns.
Have you seen DC lately?

That would be amazingly short lived. And one sided.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

raydude wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:01 pm Dude, I sincerely hope Trump runs again. Here's my dream scenario:

Trump decides to go all-in on Trump 2024 and gins up his fund-raising. GOP will have no choice but to go along with it. Then sometime between now and 2024 his loans come due. In order to preserve his properties Trump dips into his warchest and in the GOP's warchest to pay off his loans. He and the GOP enter the race in 2024 with severely depleted funds due to Donald's dipping into the GOP coffers. Then Trump defeats Rubio and Cruz in the Primaries again and humiliates them publicly again. Finally, Trump loses the general election as the voters decide what the Senate could not do - that Trump is not fit to hold office.
I would only add that I hope he starts the Florida Man party, because Repugincans weren't seditious enough, forcing Moscow Mitch and company to either split from their traditional base, or follow Florida Man into the abyss. Either way it cripples the Repugnicans for years to come.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:03 pm Right, that's the comedy ending. But let's imagine where Trump incites the next group of deplorables into violence and this time they bring guns.
People severely underestimate the anger levels out in the populace. People also forget that we were told that Trump would surely learn from the first impeachment. It boggles my mind that people still put 'normal' parameters on our nation. Trump losing again is hardly certain. He lost because of 70K votes in key states. About the same margin he won by over Clinton. In other words, it was a coin flip. Anyone want to bet American democracy on a coin flip again? Or that someone worse in sheep's clothing is going to come along? I really don't think people get the peril we are in.
Jaymann wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:42 pmI would only add that I hope he starts the Florida Man party, because Repugincans weren't seditious enough, forcing Moscow Mitch and company to either split from their traditional base, or follow Florida Man into the abyss. Either way it cripples the Repugnicans for years to come.
It'd be great but it isn't happening. He floated it and everyone told him it was a bad idea. And he actually listened when he realized he still had an iron grip on the party. They aren't breaking and they aren't going to get better or go away.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:47 pm
People severely underestimate the anger levels out in the populace. People also forget that we were told that Trump would surely learn from the first impeachment. It boggles my mind that people still put 'normal' parameters on our nation. Trump losing again is hardly certain. He lost because of 70K votes in key states. About the same margin he won by over Clinton. In other words, it was a coin flip. Anyone want to bet American democracy on a coin flip again? Or that someone worse in sheep's clothing is going to come along? I really don't think people get the peril we are in.
Jaymann wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:42 pmI would only add that I hope he starts the Florida Man party, because Repugincans weren't seditious enough, forcing Moscow Mitch and company to either split from their traditional base, or follow Florida Man into the abyss. Either way it cripples the Repugnicans for years to come.
It'd be great but it isn't happening. He floated it and everyone told him it was a bad idea. And he actually listened when he realized he still had an iron grip on the party. They aren't breaking and they aren't going to get better or go away.
Also, let's say that Trump runs in 2024 and the result is similar - Biden wins reelection by 70K or so spread across a few key states. But say that in 2024 the GOP controls the House and Senate - what are the odds that Congress does vote to award the election to Trump?
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Right. Who knows what 2024 is going to look like from an election law or security point of view. They are out there right now re-writing state laws to make it easier to gerrymander, suppress, and steal elections.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:10 pm As much as I had pipe dreams like everyone else, we knew that it was always going to turn out this way, so maybe now we can finally stop with the theater and maybe get something done.
TBH, seven is more "good" Republicans than I thought we'd see.

I doubt that trump will actually run in '24 (if he lives that long), but he'll act that way to keep the money spigot open.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

raydude wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:01 pm Dude, I sincerely hope Trump runs again. Here's my dream scenario:

That was my take at first. OTOH, having trumpism infect the body politic for 4 more years is a terrible thing even though he most likely will lose again. Thats 4 more years of white supremacy. Four more years of consequence free actions. Four more years bully politics. I guess we can be grateful he is not holding the reins of power, but trump being a viable voice for the seditionist is not a good thing for America.
AKA: Dajjer
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:58 pm Right. Who knows what 2024 is going to look like from an election law or security point of view. They are out there right now re-writing state laws to make it easier to gerrymander, suppress, and steal elections.
To be more accurate, the gerrymandering is CURRENTLY happening (this year, after the census count gets sorted I guess), by overwhelmingly Republican-held state legislators...the laws making it easier to gerrymander are already in place (although, yes, some of the more egregious ones were struck down, to be fair)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

If it's not Trump himself (shocked how many people are assuming he will be dead, wtf? :D), it will be a surrogate, like little Donny "stuck in the late 80's" Trump, Jr.

Same thing, really. Probably even more dangerous since you don't get to hope he does have a serious age related health issue. Maybe coke related as a stretch.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:18 pm
malchior wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:58 pm Right. Who knows what 2024 is going to look like from an election law or security point of view. They are out there right now re-writing state laws to make it easier to gerrymander, suppress, and steal elections.
To be more accurate, the gerrymandering is CURRENTLY happening (this year, after the census count gets sorted I guess), by overwhelmingly Republican-held state legislators...the laws making it easier to gerrymander are already in place (although, yes, some of the more egregious ones were struck down, to be fair)
SCOTUS essentially greenlighted Wisconsin style gerrymanders saying courts had little power to decide this and it was a "political" process. It'll take a miracle to stop the Republicans from taking the House.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

El Guapo wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:53 pm
malchior wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:47 pm
Also, let's say that Trump runs in 2024 and the result is similar - Biden wins reelection by 70K or so spread across a few key states. But say that in 2024 the GOP controls the House and Senate - what are the odds that Congress does vote to award the election to Trump?
I will be very surprised if Biden runs again. His age is already REALLY showing, and he literally said he only put his hat in to make sure Trump didn't win. I actually hope, for his sake, that he doesn't (if HE's still alive, by then!)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:24 pmSCOTUS essentially greenlighted Wisconsin style gerrymanders saying courts had little power to decide this and it was a "political" process. It'll take a miracle to stop the Republicans from taking the House.
Now that the GOP has effectively demonstrated party over country in what was arguably one of the most important decisions for them to render, this would be a good time to eliminate the filibuster and run the tables. Might as well go down fighting.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:24 pm It'll take a miracle to stop the Republicans from taking the House.
Concur
Holman

Post by Holman »

There's no question that the Dems should eliminate the filibuster. The GOP will do it as soon as they think it's necessary.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:27 pm
malchior wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:24 pmSCOTUS essentially greenlighted Wisconsin style gerrymanders saying courts had little power to decide this and it was a "political" process. It'll take a miracle to stop the Republicans from taking the House.
Now that the GOP has effectively demonstrated party over country in what was arguably one of the most important decisions for them to render, this would be a good time to eliminate the filibuster and run the tables. Might as well go down fighting.
It should be on the table. The problem there is that Schumer apparently doesn't have the pull over Manchin or Sinema that McConnell somehow has over the entire United States.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe things are different now for them considering the official outcome of this trial. If not, then I guess it might be time to think about Canada.
malchior

Post by malchior »

In all seriousness I am preparing for unrest. That includes eliminating most debt and figuring out our options including emigration. It doesn't hurt me if things are OK but I have high expectations they won't.

I mean look at this. The GOP acts instantly and with malice if you don't toe the line. The Democrats are bumbling fools in the face of aggression. We.are.fuct.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:30 pm There's no question that the Dems should eliminate the filibuster. The GOP will do it as soon as they think it's necessary.
Manchin, recently:
“I do not support doing away with the filibuster under any condition. It's not who I am" (side note - it's not who you are?! WTF does that even mean?!)
"I am not for busting the filibuster"

Now, if this were Graham, who morphs, chameleon-like, on a weekly basis, to fit his....whatever agenda, ok. But I am assuming this guy is not THAT bad (no idea, though, I am not familiar with him at all).
malchior

Post by malchior »

Predictable.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

After acquitting Trump, McConnell slams him for a 'disgraceful dereliction of duty'

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called the Senate Republican leader's remarks "pathetic."
Moments after voting to acquit Donald Trump, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell gave a speech excoriating the former president for a "disgraceful dereliction of duty" and said he holds him responsible for "provoking" the Jan. 6 siege of the Capitol.
Why cant he just die and go on to hell and wait on his master to get there.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:51 pm Predictable.

Yeah, the Empire Strikes Back was a great movie. Not sure I want to live it.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:51 pm Predictable.

I totally believe him.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Little Raven wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:16 pm
Have you seen DC lately?

Assuming it is a one act play it would be short lived. The bombings and other terrorist attacks spawn from that moment........
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Remus West wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:59 pm
Have you seen DC lately?

Assuming it is a one act play it would be short lived. The bombings and other terrorist attacks spawn from that moment........
And it's not just THE Capitol. Dozens of state capitols in blue states (or purple, with blue governments) would be in potential danger. Hell, they may be in danger right now.

Some scenario play outs if you will:
1. Trump gets convicted by Senate, and is barred from holding office ever again.
Result: Trumptopia explodes with rage, and...maybe some violence. Trump Jr rallies base and flips House on that momentum in 2022. Jr runs in 2024, with everyone knowing who is running the show. That's a pretty easy workaround, really.

2. Trump does not get convicted. Fuels flames of rage via his campaign, flipping House in 2022. Runs himself, in 2024. Wins. Gets Qpublican led House and Senate to pull a Putin, make an amendment to Constitution, and give him "4" more years.

3. Trump does not get convicted. The rage from the Idiocrats dies down a bit since their God wasn't punished. Traditional GOP'ers form a new party, right of the Democrats, but far left of the Trumpstafarians. Hilarity ensues?

4. ??
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:02 pm
Remus West wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:59 pm
Have you seen DC lately?

And it's not just THE Capitol. Dozens of state capitols in blue states (or purple, with blue governments) would be in potential danger. Hell, they may be in danger right now.
You don't need to tell me. I live in Michigan. I like Governor Whitmer. I'm honestly worried about her safety.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
malchior

Post by malchior »

Heck Republicans are receiving death threats if they aren't sufficiently loyal. Hopefully the temperature lowers but the risk of political violence seems to be high at the moment.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This just re-calibrated my despair really quickly. It is a haunting tweet.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm still not convinced Trumpism remains a superpower with no Trump. There's a big difference between pledging your loyalty to the Commander-in-Chief, and pledging your loyalty to an occasional Fox News pundit who is facing multiple criminal court cases.

We've seen how quickly these toads change allegiances. 2 years until the next election is a political eternity.

That's not to say the GOP won't be pulling the same tricks (and some new ones). Trump didn't arise by accident, and that foundation was laid long before he took office. But I'm skeptical he's going to hold as much sway over the GOP as he thinks.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I believe the GOP will split before '24, possibly as a result of getting spanked in '22. The GOP will consolidate as the trump party before the midterms and lose ground, and conservatives will form a new center right party. Since the Democrats are the center right party now (by the rest of the world's standards), they'll be nudged left.

This gives me an idea for a new thread. :)
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:09 pm I'm still not convinced Trumpism remains a superpower with no Trump. There's a big difference between pledging your loyalty to the Commander-in-Chief, and pledging your loyalty to an occasional Fox News pundit who is facing multiple criminal court cases.
It depends heavily on the circumstances. He first needs to find a way to communicate with his base. If he can't, his grip will slip. If he can and swings primary races next year then he may wield a lot of power even if behind the scenes. I also don't believe he will be criminally prosecuted but even if he is I can imagine a scenario where his base sees him as being persecuted. It is a cult after all. Trump's current approval rating in the GOP is still in the high 80s. We'll see if it dips but he remains wildly popular where it matters right now.
We've seen how quickly these toads change allegiances. 2 years until the next election is a political eternity.
It's really more like a little over a year and change until primaries in many states.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its like having an inmate out on parole committing crimes and the inmates still in prison voting on if he is guilty or not.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

43 US senators are no different than the racist white male jurors who acquitted their fellow klansmen who lynched Black men in the south during the days of Jim Crow.
malchior

Post by malchior »

In the fuck McConnell camp, I heard an interesting perspective today on his acquittal vote followed by an excoriating speech. Essentially the thinking was that perhaps McConnell could have muscled 15-20 Republicans into voting to convict. However, that'd mean he divide his conference and be in a minority. He potentially could have pushed for a Trump conviction but he would have had to cede his minority leadership position to do it. So his speech was acknowledging that the risk to him *personally* wielding power is Republicans acting crazy. He is simply a horrible human being. Worse than Trump IMO.
Montag

Post by Montag »

The impeachment was dead before it started. Nobody has changed their minds. The real show is going to be the criminal probe in GA for election interference and tax fraud in NY.
words