Shootings

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Shootings

Post by Skinypupy »

Some asshole company thought it would be a good idea to start selling hoodies branded with the names of schools where mass shootings took place. Complete with fake bullet holes.

That's just...sick.

Speaking of school shootings, the Sandy Hook Promise organization released this ad this morning. Jesus. :cry:

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:15 am Some asshole company thought it would be a good idea to start selling hoodies branded with the names of schools where mass shootings took place. Complete with fake bullet holes.

That's just...sick.

Abloh wannabe, but going for controversy to get pub.

Note that the VA Tech one was removed, undoubtedly because they have trademark protection. The High Schools, named after towns/people do not.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:37 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:27 pm Can somebody explain to me why MGM should be responsible in the first place?
You'd need to ask the lawyers.
“We can show through the totality of the events at MGM properties around world that this is something that could happen and was reasonably foreseeable, and they had a duty to provide adequate security and didn’t.”
NYTimes
MGM Resorts International has agreed to pay up to $800 million to settle lawsuits from victims of the October 2017 mass shooting in Las Vegas that left 58 people dead and hundreds of others injured.
One of the lawyers for the victims, Robert Eglet, said on Thursday the settlement would be in the range of $735 million to $800 million and would resolve “substantially all” of the lawsuits and claims against MGM related to the massacre.
The settlement closely tracks the contours of a deal that MGM said in May was a “reasonably possible” outcome from mediation with the plaintiffs.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This is why hunters need assault weapons.
A hunter in Arkansas died after a deer he had shot attacked him, according to the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission.

“I’ve worked for the Game and Fish Commission for 20 years, and it’s one of the stranger things that’s happened," Keith Stephens, the agency's chief of communications, told NBC affiliate KY3 in Springfield, Missouri.

The victim, Thomas Alexander, 66, shot a buck with a muzzleloader while hunting near Yellville, Arkansas, the station reported.
1. A muzzle loader. Really?
2. I would like to hear about the other stranger things.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Yeah, muzzleloaders are a thing. There is a whole separate deer season for them in MI after the regular firearms season. It's much more challenging to try and bag a deer with one shot.

Plus, that time of year the deer are allowed to fight back.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Some like the challenge of "old school" hunting. But also, IIRC, muzzle loader a aren't considered firearms by the feds so it's a way for ex-felons and other prohibited persons to hunt legally. In states that allow it.

Remember the Maxim 50?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Seems fine to me. If the intent is to kill large, dangerous animals with no requirement of skill and no danger whatsoever, then let's stop calling it hunting.

That, or start calling what I do at the grocery store hunting.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I shot muzzleloaders - and hunted with them - for years. As said, some people enjoy actually hunting without all of the modern crutches (you don't need much skill to hide 100+ yards from a wildlife highway with a sniper rifle and night vision gear.)

While I've never been deer hunting (and haven't been anything hunting in close to 30 years), my hunter education classes clear back in high school made it very, very clear that you don't approached a down deer unless you want to get gored and/or get hooves upside the head.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
The Maryland man accused of killing five in a mass shooting at the newspaper offices of the Capital Gazette has admitted his guilt, days before his trial was slated to begin.

Jarrod Ramos, 39, entered his plea Monday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. The plea is not final until it is accepted by a judge in a proceeding that is ongoing.

Police and prosecutors say Ramos held a long-standing grudge against the newspaper, losing a defamation suit against the publication after it ran a column about his pleading guilty to harassing a former high school classmate.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:17 pm I shot muzzleloaders - and hunted with them - for years. As said, some people enjoy actually hunting without all of the modern crutches (you don't need much skill to hide 100+ yards from a wildlife highway with a sniper rifle and night vision gear.)

While I've never been deer hunting (and haven't been anything hunting in close to 30 years), my hunter education classes clear back in high school made it very, very clear that you don't approached a down deer unless you want to get gored and/or get hooves upside the head.
When I was a kid, my best friend's older brother was a bow hunter. That apparently requires a lot of walking and some ability to track your kill. He got a buck with a shot through the heart and it still ran several miles before it died.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

In Jr High one day the history teacher brought a muzzle loader to school. No one was arrested because it was a fun day .We all went outside and watched him load and fire at a target. Fun stuff.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:17 pm I shot muzzleloaders - and hunted with them - for years. As said, some people enjoy actually hunting without all of the modern crutches (you don't need much skill to hide 100+ yards from a wildlife highway with a sniper rifle and night vision gear.)

I thought this was DBT at first! (Didn't he fight in the revolutionary war?)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Heh, no, although I did get to fire an original Revolutionary War Brown Bess musket once. It's a .75 caliber, and that thing has an amazing kick.

Throughout my mid teens I was heavily involved in buckskinning as a hobby (more of an obsession.) Buckskinning is the historical recreation of the fur trade period in the American west from roughly 1790-1840 (early explorers, trappers, mountain men), with a very strong emphasis on historical accuracy in your gear. During that time I built several muzzleloaders from kits, and shot regularly.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:19 am 2. I would like to hear about the other stranger things.
Sorry for the downer, but here goes...

My friend was out with his hunting partner in central Alabama. Both were wearing orange vests and everything, but another unrelated hunter mistook them for deer and shot the partner through the chest. He died in my friend's arms while the shooter ran away.

My friend called 911, and police arrived. My friend was briefly arrested until it was determined that the shot had come from a different kind of gun than he or his pal were carrying.

It later became apparent (at least according to people I trust) that the shooter was a friend of the sheriff. The case was allowed to go cold.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:38 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:19 am 2. I would like to hear about the other stranger things.
Sorry for the downer, but here goes...

My friend was out with his hunting partner in central Alabama. Both were wearing orange vests and everything, but another unrelated hunter mistook them for deer and shot the partner through the chest. He died in my friend's arms while the shooter ran away.

My friend called 911, and police arrived. My friend was briefly arrested until it was determined that the shot had come from a different kind of gun than he or his pal were carrying.

It later became apparent (at least according to people I trust) that the shooter was a friend of the sheriff. The case was allowed to go cold.
Oh wow, that sucks. Sorry to hear.

We had poachers put some 30-30 rounds through our house once when I was a kid. The conservation officer that came out was armed to the teeth ("90% of the people I'm after have high powered rifles...") and spent a few days staking our place out. He caught several poachers (IIRC nabbed for misdemeanor trespassing) but we were never able to pin the rounds in our house on any of them.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:15 am We had poachers put some 30-30 rounds through our house once when I was a kid. The conservation officer that came out was armed to the teeth ("90% of the people I'm after have high powered rifles...") and spent a few days staking our place out. He caught several poachers (IIRC nabbed for misdemeanor trespassing) but we were never able to pin the rounds in our house on any of them.
We had a poacher shooting a rifle from a couple of feet outside my bedroom across a major heavy traffic highway (M-153). I'm glad I still have a mother because she did not hesitate to confront the guy.

Poachers at my parents property "out in the country" are a common occurrence and they are despicable. They'll poach trees for profit. They'll kill animals for sport and leave the carcasses. Ever seen a white racoon? I have. Once. Or at least the bullet torn carcass of one. :x I'd like to think I'm pro hunter but drunks and the otherwise powerless bullies with their great equalizer in hand as their raison d'etre make it hard to support that position.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Happy Halloween, Chi-Town!
Gun violence across Chicago on Halloween killed one person and wounded five others.
Earlier, a shooting in Little Village wounded two people, including a seven-year-old girl who was trick-or-treating.

The shooting happened about 5:30 p.m. when at least two people walked up to another group of people standing in 3700 block of West 26th Street and began firing at them, according to Chicago police.

The girl was struck in the chest by a stray bullet and was rushed to Stroger Hospital in critical condition, police said. She was expected to be transferred to Comer Medical Center.

Police said the 30-year-old man and girl were not together and have no relationship, and the man shot was the intended target.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I didn't see a single trick or treater last night on my way home from work. :(

I did, however, see the same middle aged guy wearing black leotards and a black cape walking around that I've seen since last Sunday. Not sure if he knew it was Halloween, to be honest.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NBC News
A pregnant Florida woman, armed with a semi-automatic rifle, gunned down one of two home invaders who had broken in and were pistol whipping her husband, officials said Monday.

The deadly confrontation happened at about 9 p.m Wednesday on Old Welcome Road in Lithia, Florida, about 25 miles southeast of downtown Tampa, Hillsborough County Sheriff's deputies said.

After the woman fired one shot from the family's AR-15, both men fled and the mortally wounded robber collapsed in a drainage ditch outside where he died, sheriff's spokeswoman Amanda Granit told NBC News on Monday.
Homeowner Jeremy King said he'd be dead if not for his fast-thinking, eight-months-pregnant wife. He said both home invaders had pistols and they fired one shot.

“Them guys came in with two normal pistols and my AR stopped it,” King told Bay News 9. “(My wife) evened the playing field and kept them from killing me."

King suffered a fractured eye socket, a fractured sinus cavity and a concussion to go along with 20 stitches from the attack.

The husband, whose 11-year-old daughter was at home during the home invasion, said he and wife did not know their attackers.

“We also know this was not a random act," Losat said. "This family was probably targeted.”
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Saugus High School, Santa Clarita CA
Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva says a 14-year-old boy died at a hospital. Earlier, a 16-year-old girl died from the shooting at Saugus High School in the city of Santa Clarita.

Authorities say a student gunman shot five students and then himself around 7:30 a.m. in a school quad. His .45-caliber handgun was found with no bullets remaining when it was recovered.

The three surviving victims remain hospitalized. The shooter is in grave condition.
Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva says the 16-year-old shooter pulled a gun from his backpack and shot five other students before shooting himself.

The other victims are 15 and 14-year-old girls and two boys, both 14.
Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva says the unidentified gunman, whose birthday is Thursday, is in grave condition at a hospital.

A video of the shooting shows the teenager shooting himself in the head.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Authorities say a student gunman shot five students and then himself around 7:30 a.m. in a school quad. His .45-caliber handgun was found with no bullets remaining when it was recovered.
Dog whistle for gun people = it was a 1911 in .45 ACP with a 6 or 7 round [standard] magazine.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Does this go here?

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/14/77933989 ... em-wounded
Back in May, three Indiana judges got into a fight. It was the crescendo of an incident brimming with colorful details: a gaggle of judges drinking the night before a judicial conference, a failed attempt to visit a strip club called the Red Garter, a brawl in the parking lot of an Indianapolis White Castle.

The altercation apparently started sometime after 3 a.m., when one of the judges, Sabrina Bell, raised a middle finger at two men yelling from a passing SUV, and ended after one of those men shot two of the judges.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:05 am Does this go here?

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/14/77933989 ... em-wounded
Back in May, three Indiana judges got into a fight. It was the crescendo of an incident brimming with colorful details: a gaggle of judges drinking the night before a judicial conference, a failed attempt to visit a strip club called the Red Garter, a brawl in the parking lot of an Indianapolis White Castle.

The altercation apparently started sometime after 3 a.m., when one of the judges, Sabrina Bell, raised a middle finger at two men yelling from a passing SUV, and ended after one of those men shot two of the judges.
Clearly the answer is 'No'. ;)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pearl Harbor
A sailor opened fire at a U.S. Navy shipyard at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam in Hawaii on Wednesday, killing two civilian shipyard employees and wounding another before dying from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to a Navy spokesman. Rear Admiral Robert Chadwick said a third civilian employee was being treated for unspecified wounds at a local hospital.

The shooter was an active-duty sailor assigned to the USS Columbia, Chadwick said. It was unclear what type of gun was used or whether the attack was targeted. The victims' names were being withheld pending family notification, according to base officials.

The incident began at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam at about 2:30 p.m. local time. The base was put on lockdown for about an hour and a half.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NAS Pensacola
A gunman opened fire inside Naval Air Station Pensacola on Friday, killing at least one person and injuring several others, according to authorities.

The shooting is over, the Escambia County, Florida, Sheriff's Office said, and the shooter has been confirmed dead.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:58 am Pearl Harbor
A sailor opened fire at a U.S. Navy shipyard at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam in Hawaii on Wednesday, killing two civilian shipyard employees and wounding another before dying from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to a Navy spokesman. Rear Admiral Robert Chadwick said a third civilian employee was being treated for unspecified wounds at a local hospital.

The shooter was an active-duty sailor assigned to the USS Columbia, Chadwick said. It was unclear what type of gun was used or whether the attack was targeted. The victims' names were being withheld pending family notification, according to base officials.

The incident began at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam at about 2:30 p.m. local time. The base was put on lockdown for about an hour and a half.
So what new laws would of stopped this? He went through full back ground checks. He went though extensive mental evaluations since he was serving on a submarine. Military do need access to fire arms.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

UsulofDoom wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:38 am

So what new laws would of stopped this? He went through full back ground checks. He went though extensive mental evaluations since he was serving on a submarine. Military do need access to fire arms.
No law but someone may have put the wrong guy on the job.

He had been up for disciplinary and anger management problems. You can't carry on-base unless you're on armed duty. And someone gave him armed duty despite his problems.
HNN wrote:The U.S. Navy sailor who fatally shot two at the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard on Wednesday and wounded a third was having disciplinary problems at work and had been enrolled in anger management courses, multiple sources confirm to HNN.

The sailor was identified as 22-year-old Gabriel Romero.

Romero used his service weapons ― an M4 rifle and an M9 pistol ― in the shooting and on Wednesday had been assigned to stand watch at a submarine undergoing repairs.

The multiple sources, who requested anonymity because of the ongoing investigation, expressed concern Romero had been assigned an armed position at the shipyard despite his history of problems.
Hawaii News Now has learned that Romero was up for a captain’s mast, a military criminal proceeding that is below a court martial.
Romero had injuries from punching equipment, including
lockers, the multiple sources confirmed.

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Another Navy shooting, this one at Pensacola NAS.

I've seen a report of 2 dead and at least 10 taken to area hospitals.

EDIT: as usual, Izzy posted first.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
An unidentified assailant opened fire Friday morning at Naval Air Station Pensacola, leaving three people dead and several others injured before being shot and killed by Florida sheriff’s deputies in the second deadly shooting at a naval base this week.

It was unclear whether the three deceased victims were service members or civilians, said Lt. Cmdr. Megan Isaac, a Navy spokeswoman. Multiple people were transported to hospitals. Two of the wounded are Escambia County sheriff’s deputies who are expected to survive, Chief Deputy Chip Simmons said during a Friday morning news conference.

Officials have not shared any details about the shooter.

The shooting at the Naval station was reported at 6:51 a.m. inside a classroom building, drawing a major law enforcement response. The base was placed on lockdown, the Navy said, with its gates secured. Approximately one hour later, the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office announced that “there is no longer an active shooter on NAS Pensacola. The shooter is confirmed dead.”
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

UsulofDoom wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:38 am

Away with thee, strawman.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The gunman was a military pilot from Saudi Arabia training in the United States, according to a senior U.S. official.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Two things stand out to me from the news reports.

1. The ysay they are doing a check into his background. Why is this not standard for people to start with long before they kill people?

2. Its says the police responded and took down the suspect. Why would the police have to be the ones to do that at a military base? Do we have no weapons on our own military bases? No military police now days?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:40 am Two things stand out to me from the news reports.

1. The ysay they are doing a check into his background. Why is this not standard for people to start with long before they kill people?

2. Its says the police responded and took down the suspect. Why would the police have to be the ones to do that at a military base? Do we have no weapons on our own military bases? No military police now days?
1. They do. They're digging deeper and questioning now whether it is thorough enough.

2. Depending on where, exactly, the shooting took place, the police may have been closer. This is a military base in a civilian city with thousands of civilian employees, and the cops and MPs often work together. Kind of like the way a fire truck may get to a heart attack victim before an ambulance if they just happen to be closer.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Also, only designated security personnel are allowed to carry on base and they usually have specific security duties (guarding a sensitive location or asset) and they can't just run from their post to the sound of gunfire.

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's OK, guys. The Saudi royals feel *really, really* bad about what happened.

No need to get mad at them, right? Especially when Trump Tower Riyadh is going to be so frickin' awesome.

The king is "devastated," MBS is "devastated," and "they're going to help out the families very greatly."

I guess they can afford it. Murdered Americans can't really cost *that* much, can they?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Wonder what 9/11 would have cost them if Trump was prez then.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

About a hundred dollars.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:12 pm About a hundred dollars.
And as Trump is such a great business man and king of the deals we would get off easy paying them that $100
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NBC
One police officer has been shot in the head amid an ongoing active shooter situation at a bodega in Jersey City Tuesday, according to the preliminary investigation, a senior law enforcement official tells News 4.

The situation is fluid and information is developing rapidly; one law enforcement source described the attack as an "ambush," and said at least one individual was holed up in a bodega with a long gun, sources say.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

One officer dead and at least two injured.

MYT