Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Defiant

Re: The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

Post by Defiant »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
A veteran federal judge on Monday warned U.S. prosecutors either to charge former acting FBI director Andrew McCabe or to drop their investigation into whether he lied to investigators about an unauthorized media disclosure, saying their indecision was undermining the credibility of the Justice Department.

If a decision is not made, U.S. District Judge Reggie B. Walton of Washington, D.C., said at a hearing that he would order the Justice Department to release internal FBI documents related to McCabe’s firing by Nov. 15.

The extraordinary warning by Walton — a 2001 President George W. Bush appointee and former presiding judge of the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court — marked the latest turbulence in an investigation that McCabe’s defenders say is a move by the Trump administration to punish the president’s perceived political enemies.
“I would send this message to those in positions of authority in the U.S. Attorney’s office and the Justice Department . . . that I will not condone further delay,” Walton said, according to a transcript of the unsealed portion of the hearing.

Walton expressed “dismay” to Justice lawyers that the case “is just dragging too long,” adding: “You all have got to cut and make your decision. It’s not a hard decision, and I think it needs to be made. If it’s not made, I’m going to start ordering the release of information because I think our society, our public does have a right to know what’s going on.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:36 pm LA Times
President Trump will be ineligible for California’s primary ballot next year unless he discloses his tax returns under a state law that immediately took effect Tuesday, an unprecedented mandate that is almost certain to spark a high-profile court fight and might encourage other states to adopt their own unconventional rules for presidential candidates.
CNN
A federal judge in California blocked a state law that requires candidates for president to disclose income tax returns before their names can appear on the state's primary ballot.
US District Judge Morrison C. England Jr. of the Eastern District of California on Tuesday wrote "while this Court understands and empathizes with the motivations that prompted California" to pass the law, "the Act's provisions likely violate the Constitution and the laws of the United States." England noted that it is not the court's role "to decide whether a tax return disclosure requirement is good policy or makes political sense."

The judge said the law would set a dangerous precedent and become a slippery slope for other kinds of disclosures. He also said it presents a "troubling minefield " that would permit a state to make its own demands.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Trump's tweeting lies about that one, too:

Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Like he reads the websites. Since it wasn't a 2-hour festival of crying on the Fake News shows brought to him in 15-second soundbites on Fox News, it must not have happened.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:21 pm Like he reads the websites. Since it wasn't a 2-hour festival of crying on the Fake News shows brought to him in 15-second soundbites on Fox News, it must not have happened.
I'm surprised he hasn't trashed Fox for verifying the story about him wanting moats at the border.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:27 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:21 pm Like he reads the websites. Since it wasn't a 2-hour festival of crying on the Fake News shows brought to him in 15-second soundbites on Fox News, it must not have happened.
I'm surprised he hasn't trashed Fox for verifying the story about him wanting moats at the border.
He has tweeted saying that he never wanted a snake-filled "moot" [his word] and complaining that "the press" said that he wanted one, as an example of fake news.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He's still trying to deny it.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I've read a couple of recent stories to the effect that Fox News is distancing itself from the Trump Train. IDK if that's true or wishful thinking...but if he loses Fox, he's lost the country.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The more Trump talks about not wanting a Wall At Any Cost, the better. He’s right that his base will demand the Wall by 2020 — as well as the ridiculous and vile “shoot to maim” or “design to injure” aspects of his proposals. The deplorables demanded his cruelty, and maybe they’ll abandon Trump if he can’t pwn the dems.

“Where’s the Wall, Trump? Mexico isn’t going to pay for it.” would be a pretty sick burn during the debates.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:31 pm
He's still trying to deny it.

Yes, this is the tweet that originally went out with "Moot" instead of "Moat" (looks like he deleted and fixed the error, although still inexplicably capitalizing Moat).
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:38 pm Yes, this is the tweet that originally went out with "Moot" instead of "Moat" (looks like he deleted and fixed the error, although still inexplicably capitalizing Moat).
Homeslice mistakenly capitalizes half the words he uses. Moat is no different.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:44 pm
I've read a couple of recent stories to the effect that Fox News is distancing itself from the Trump Train. IDK if that's true or wishful thinking...but if he loses Fox, he's lost the country.
I've read similar stories that cite things like adding Paul Ryan to the board as reasons why, but still not sure I believe it. But I did sink down into a rabbit hole in Twitter the other day and saw lots of crazy right wing nut jobs posting about how fox has abandoned them/trump and how Fox has always been a 'left/center outlet' and that they needed OANN(???) to go nationwide.

Just highlights the difficulty in trying to talk to these ppl; they don't even live in the same reality.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

GungHo wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:32 am
Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:44 pm
I've read similar stories that cite things like adding Paul Ryan to the board as reasons why, but still not sure I believe it. But I did sink down into a rabbit hole in Twitter the other day and saw lots of crazy right wing nut jobs posting about how fox has abandoned them/trump and how Fox has always been a 'left/center outlet' and that they needed OANN(???) to go nationwide.

Just highlights the difficulty in trying to talk to these ppl; they don't even live in the same reality.
Every now and then, somebody adamant that Trump is the best president since Lincoln and America is finally great again leaks into my Facebook feed, and I can't even.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
Citing a potential copyright violation, Twitter took down a meme tweeted by President Trump that used a parody of a music video by the rock band Nickelback to promote discredited corruption claims about former vice president Joe Biden.

Trump posted the video late Wednesday afternoon on the heels of a string of tweets attacking the impeachment inquiry by congressional Democrats. It featured a version of the video for Nickleback’s 2005 hit “Photograph” that had been edited to show lead singer Chad Kroeger holding up a picture of Biden and his son Hunter posing with an executive of Ukrainian gas company Burisma Holdings, where the younger Biden was a board member. The tweet caption read, “LOOK AT THIS PHOTOGRAPH!”

Within hours, Twitter received a takedown notice from Warner Music Group, the copyright owner for the original music video, according to documents posted to the Lumen Database, which tracks online copyright infringement complaints.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Is this thing on?
Pretty sure she's winning Twitter for today.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:02 pm WaPo
Citing a potential copyright violation, Twitter took down a meme tweeted by President Trump that used a parody of a music video by the rock band Nickelback to promote discredited corruption claims about former vice president Joe Biden.

Trump posted the video late Wednesday afternoon on the heels of a string of tweets attacking the impeachment inquiry by congressional Democrats. It featured a version of the video for Nickleback’s 2005 hit “Photograph” that had been edited to show lead singer Chad Kroeger holding up a picture of Biden and his son Hunter posing with an executive of Ukrainian gas company Burisma Holdings, where the younger Biden was a board member. The tweet caption read, “LOOK AT THIS PHOTOGRAPH!”

Within hours, Twitter received a takedown notice from Warner Music Group, the copyright owner for the original music video, according to documents posted to the Lumen Database, which tracks online copyright infringement complaints.
For another view
Twitter nixes Trump Nickelback meme after dubious takedown request
Twitter has removed a video from a tweet by Donald Trump in response to a Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown request from Warner Music Group. The video modified a short clip from the Nickelback music video "Photograph" to criticize former Vice President Joe Biden. Biden is seeking the Democratic nod to challenge Trump in the 2020 election.

Cornell University legal scholar James Grimmelmann told Ars that Donald Trump has a strong fair use claim. The video only used a few seconds of the Nickelback music video, and it does so in a way that poses no threat to sales of the original song—two factors that typically point toward a finding of fair use.

Grimmelmann argues that Trump has a strong argument that his use of the short Nickelback clip is legal under fair use doctrine. The Supreme Court held in 1994 that a use is likely to be fair if it is "transformative"—"altering the original with new expression, meaning, or message."

"Memes are essentially born transformative," Grimmelmann told Ars in an email. Trump's video, he said, "expresses a dramatically different message than the original video in a way that can’t be done without it."

Trump's video used only a few seconds of the video, another factor that favors a fair use finding.

A final factor in fair use analysis is the effect of the use on the market for the original work. This factor also favors a fair use finding, Grimmelmann argues. No one else is paying to use the "Photograph" meme, and the meme's popularity can only increase demand for the full song.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I look forward to the years-long lawsuit.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:21 pm I look forward to the years-long lawsuit.
On the one hand, I'm fine with him wasting time and effort to be able to post a shitty Nickleback meme job. On the other hand, I'm not fine with the president of the United States offucking America wasting time and effort to be able to post a shitty Nickleback meme job.

Hopefully a resolution to this conundrum is forthcoming.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BI
Rep. Richard Neal, the chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, which has jurisdiction over taxes, tariffs, and other social-assistance programs, sent a letter to Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin on August 8 saying that a federal employee submitted "an unsolicited communication" on July 29 outlining allegations of "inappropriate efforts to influence" the mandatory IRS audit of Trump's and Vice President Mike Pence's tax returns.

In his letter, first widely reported this week, Neal described the whistleblower's allegations of "evidence of possible misconduct" as credible.
Neal also wrote that his committee had "raised these concerns repeatedly" but that IRS Commissioner Charles Rettig had said they were "unfounded." Neal said the whistleblower's allegations "underscore the pressing need for complete and meaningful oversight" of the audit program.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

From Pelosi response to Kevin McCarthy: "I received your letter this morning shortly after the world witnessed President Trump on national television asking yet another foreign power to interfere in the upcoming 2020 elections." She really is in a whole different league.
Oof.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Pelosi really is a very stable genius.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

McCarthy's letter was ridiculous but it was the type of pablum that plays with low information types of all stripes because it sounds like it is a serious, well-thought opinion. Prior to Trump pulling the rug out Pelosi probably would have had to respond even if to keep up appearances for fence sitters in the middle. That problem is happily gone now.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

NPR interviews Trump supporters...
This whole "impeachment" thing is a waste of time. This president could play golf every day for his entire presidency, and I'd still vote for him again.
It doesn't matter how much UV light Pelosi shines on the fungal growth that seems to be his base. They keep coming back hardier, angrier, and more enthusiastic than before.

I just hope there aren't enough of them to float him for a second term. The 2016 election was a test of American Complacency, and we failed it, HARD. The 2020 election will be a test of American Character.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Paingod wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:37 amThe 2020 election will be a test of American Character.
Uh oh. That's a test we haven't studied for a few decades at least.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:31 pm
Paingod wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:37 amThe 2020 election will be a test of American Character.
Uh oh. That's a test we haven't studied for a few decades at least.
LOL
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

There are reports that the Federal judge overseeing Trump's lawsuit to prevent release of his tax records to a NY state grand jury has dismissed the case. From what I read last week that will pave the way for his accounting firm (Mazars) to release the documents as early as this morning. LET THE MELTDOWN BEGIN.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As reported by the failing NYT:
A federal judge on Monday rejected a bold argument from President Trump that sitting presidents are immune from criminal investigations, a ruling that allowed the Manhattan district attorney’s office to move forward with a subpoena seeking eight years of the president’s personal and corporate tax returns.

In a 75-page ruling, Judge Marrero called the president’s argument “repugnant to the nation’s governmental structure and constitutional values.” Presidents, their families and businesses are not above the law, the judge wrote.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

I can only expect there are really crappy lawyers running through the streets of Manhattan trying to find an appeals court judge to stay the release pending appeal.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Or there are some otherwise competent DOJ lawyers phoning it in on this case (among others).
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

The appeals court stayed the release pending appeal. Not a surprise but at this point any delay helps him. I'm in the no one fights this hard unless it is *devastating* camp because he releases stuff that he should know hurts him like the transcript memo. I know people have said it isn't likely to be interesting, but if they are fighting this hard...they have to afraid of something.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

malchior wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:50 pm The appeals court stayed the release pending appeal. Not a surprise but at this point any delay helps him. I'm in the no one fights this hard unless it is *devastating* camp because he releases stuff that he should know hurts him like the transcript memo. I know people have said it isn't likely to be interesting, but if they are fighting this hard...they have to afraid of something.
I think it'll essentially pants him in front of his tow-headed base of imbeciles who still cling to the notion he is somehow one of them. When it becomes known with certainty he pays no taxes while they do, yet another illusion is shattered. How many said imbeciles are actually put off by it is another matter.
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

It was implied by Marc Cuban a ways back that tRump was a "fake billionaire". If the returns show that to be true I could see him fighting this hard because his entire self image (along with his barnd) is wrapped up in that particular lie.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
hepcat

Re: The Trump Investigation(s) Threadany th

Post by hepcat »

Anything that could cause him to resign in frustration is a good thing.
Covfefe!
Remus West

Re: The Trump Investigation(s) Threadany th

Post by Remus West »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:15 pm Anything that could cause him to resign in frustration is a good thing.
I don't think Putin would allow him to resign. Russia is getting way to much return on their investment to let him walk away now.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

This seems pretty big.

WaPo.
The Senate Intelligence Committee, a Republican-led panel that has been investigating foreign electoral interference for more than two and a half years, said in blunt language that Russians worked to damage Democrat Hillary Clinton while bolstering Republican Donald Trump — and made clear that fresh rounds of interference are likely ahead of the 2020 vote.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:28 pm This seems pretty big.

WaPo.
The Senate Intelligence Committee, a Republican-led panel that has been investigating foreign electoral interference for more than two and a half years, said in blunt language that Russians worked to damage Democrat Hillary Clinton while bolstering Republican Donald Trump — and made clear that fresh rounds of interference are likely ahead of the 2020 vote.
Is there a Republican other than Burr who'll admit this, though?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive never thought Trump was a billionaire. Also think 85+% of his money is from daddy's leftovers. The rest ill lump into swindled and lied to get money. Mostly loans. I think he is a sham. You dont fight all this stuff unless you have something to hide in all the stuff you're fighting against.
Last edited by Daehawk on Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Holman wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:30 pm
Alefroth wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:28 pm This seems pretty big.

WaPo.
Is there a Republican other than Burr who'll admit this, though?
That's probably unlikely, but I still think it carries significant weight coming from the Senate Intelligence Committee. We'll see how it goes in this changing environment.