For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Maybe he just got lucky.

Illinois.
The State of Illinois has released a list of almost 4,000 inmates released from prisons, including 64 convicted of murder, since March 1st.

A list released by the state shows each inmate who had their sentence commuted by Gov. JB Prtizker or were released early by the Illinois Department of Corrections.

Police departments from all over the state of Illinois have sent a letter to Gov. JB Pritzker questioning why the governor has reduced the sentences of violent criminals and convicted murderers.

In order to stop the spread of COVID-19 in Illinois prisons, Pritzker has granted clemency to more than 1,000 prisoners

Cook County
Then, in the past month alone, another 1,300 inmates have been released as the offices of the Cook County Sheriff, Public Defender and State's Attorney focused on releasing those awaiting trial and low-level nonviolent offenders.
A lot of Class X in both jail purges and I'm sure it's happening all over. What is some 2-bit white collar criminal?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It's so much less expensive for prisoners to be sick outside the jails where the state doesn't have to foot the bill.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Burr drops the mic on his way out of the Senate Intelligence Committee.

Of course the current acting DNI is Richard Grenell, a thoroughly Trumpian creature, but hopefully now he'll be under a microscope.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Normally I'd be saying this is totally inappropriate given what we're collectively living through right now, but instead I'm going to say FRAK YES:
The Democratic-led House of Representatives on Monday told the Supreme Court that the House needs secret Mueller grand jury materials to determine if there is new evidence of impeachable offenses involving President Donald Trump.
The House Judiciary Committee has been attempting obtain the documents prosecutors collected from witnesses about Trump in a back-and-forth legal fight that's now reached the Supreme Court.
"The Committee's impeachment investigation related to obstruction of justice pertaining to the Russia investigation is ongoing," Douglas Letter, the House general counsel, said in a court filing Monday.

"If this material reveals new evidence supporting the conclusion that President Trump committed impeachable offenses," Letter said, "the Committee will proceed accordingly -- including, if necessary, by considering whether to recommend new articles of impeachment."
Impeached twice? Only the best for bigly President MAGA.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'd love it but it won't happen. They are just saying they *could* do it so it isn't a moot issue.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I like them raising the issue now to get him all worked up. Normally I'd say it would be a severe distraction in a time of crisis but given that the Secret Service just signed a 6 month golf cart rental for his Bedminster course ($179K), I'm guessing he has no intention of focusing on anything important anytime soon.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:17 pm I like them raising the issue now to get him all worked up. Normally I'd say it would be a severe distraction in a time of crisis but given that the Secret Service just signed a 6 month golf cart rental for his Bedminster course ($179K), I'm guessing he has no intention of focusing on anything important anytime soon.
6 grand a day for golf cart rental? How many, like 100?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:17 pm I like them raising the issue now to get him all worked up. Normally I'd say it would be a severe distraction in a time of crisis but given that the Secret Service just signed a 6 month golf cart rental for his Bedminster course ($179K), I'm guessing he has no intention of focusing on anything important anytime soon.
One grand/day.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:28 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote:
One grand/day.
But it includes a daily dosage of Hydroxychloroquine.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:28 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote:
One grand/day.
Missed the 6 in the "6 month" part. :oops: Makes more sense. Although presumably they are paying for a lot of days they aren't using them.

All for a guy who cheapens the game by cheating.

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not up on Inspector Generals so I am wonder how if they are independent and act as an overwatch on the government and those in it just how can Trump fire them every time they get in his way . It seems they investigate and he fires them. Its like a if Ted Bundy got to fire everyone investigating him. In the end they come across as totally useless. The US seems to have no ability to do anything good.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I think I read that trump can't directly fire the IGs, but has to give the Senate 30 days notice that he's removing them. The Senate can then block that. So it's really on Moscow Mitch. But I read a lot of things that I only half-remember.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kraken wrote:I think I read that trump can't directly fire the IGs, but has to give the Senate 30 days notice that he's removing them. The Senate can then block that. So it's really on Moscow Mitch. But I read a lot of things that I only half-remember.
McConnell has top men on it as we type, I'm sure.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The corruption is plain. Moscow Mitch’s wife Chao is Trump Secretary of Transportation. All the better to divert pork into Kentucky for her husband’s re-election, funnel projects to companies she owns, and punish Trump’s Blue State enemies.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:26 am The corruption is plain. Moscow Mitch’s wife Chao is Trump Secretary of Transportation. All the better to divert pork into Kentucky for her husband’s re-election, funnel projects to companies she owns, and punish Trump’s Blue State enemies.
I tend to think you are over the top, but not this time. :(
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
The Supreme Court on Wednesday temporarily blocked the release of former special counsel Robert Mueller's grand jury material to the Democratic-led House of Representatives.
The White House and Justice Department had asked the Supreme Court to block the release of the material to give them time to file a full appeal.

In the brief, unsigned order, the justices set out a time period asking for briefs by June 1. Such a timeline suggests they will decide before this term ends whether to take up the case.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:01 am
Zarathud wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:26 am The corruption is plain. Moscow Mitch’s wife Chao is Trump Secretary of Transportation. All the better to divert pork into Kentucky for her husband’s re-election, funnel projects to companies she owns, and punish Trump’s Blue State enemies.
I tend to think you are over the top, but not this time. :(
Trump has fired how many Inspectors General this month? Four? Five?

If you're an administration whistleblower and you're following the rules, you go to your IG first. That's how it is supposed to work.

It no longer works. I really hope the whistleblowers out there understand that.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It doesn't help that the whistle blowers are getting bullied by the Republicans and the cult. The right was publishing the Ukraine call whistleblower's supposed name for months. When Dr. Bright spoke last week he faced questioned that were flat out bullying.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Washington Post

This story is getting more outrageous. The new IG is:

* keeping his old job so he is overseeing himself
* a political appointee so he has no interest good governance
* started working immediately so they are treating the 30-day period as like some severance mechanism instead of what it is intended to do which is allow existing investigations to be transitioned.

This one really feels like they were putting the lid on something.
On Friday, President Trump announced the firing of State Department Inspector General Steve Linick, based on the recommendation of Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, a move that surprised official Washington and infuriated Democrats. Now, there is additional concern about Linick’s replacement, Stephen Akard, who is already on the job — and is also keeping his existing State Department position, setting up a clear conflict of interest.

According to the law, the administration must notify Congress 30 days in advance before firing an inspector general. But multiple sources told me that Linick’s last day was Friday, the same day Congress learned about his ouster. Akard showed up at the office on Monday morning and immediately assumed the boss’s role. Yet Akard is keeping his job as the head of the State Department’s Office of Foreign Missions, a Senate-confirmed political appointee position he has held since September. Adding the inspector general’s job to his duties essentially means he will be overseeing himself.

“The independence of inspectors general is paramount. Embedding a political ally to serve as IG who is still working in the very agency they are supposed to oversee is very problematic and an affront to that independence,” Sen. Robert Menendez (N.J.), the ranking Democrat on the Foreign Relations Committee, told me. “I have trouble seeing how Ambassador Akard could fulfill those duties effectively given the circumstances and without stepping down from his current role.”
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Who better to oversee him than himself? He already knows exactly what he is doing wrong.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It was two IGs Friday. One was acting so Congress was not notified. #SwampFilled

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I’m sorry, but does she have the hand of a corpse?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yes its Vaders hand. That way she can perform a stranger.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Unagi wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:28 am I’m sorry, but does she have the hand of a corpse?
Hand of Vecna

With this administration, being possessed by the spirit of an ancient evil lich doesn't even get you to the top 10 most perfidious list.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We're being run by the Head of Vecna.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The Flynn-Kislyak transcripts were released to Congress today.

They are incredibly damning for Flynn. If the Trump team thought it would somehow show Deep State perfidy, it's a ridiculous failure.

This is Flynn asking Russia not to be mad when Obama kicks out some of their people for election interference, declaring that the interference was no big deal and that they'll all be able to get along just fine after the inauguration.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Hence the late Friday dump to avoid the news cycle.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

They aren't just damning for Flynn. They undercut the DOJ decision severely to drop the charges. It looks blatantly political now because it shows that the prosecutor had an airtight case.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah but Rao is involved. Chances of a shit show are high.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:51 pm Yeah but Rao is involved. Chances of a shit show are high.
Oh, I know. Rao is 100% going to vote in favor of letting Flynn go no questions asked. Not sure about the other GOP appointee, but I'm thinking it's more likely than not that the DC Circuit panel sides with Flynn. What I'm less sure about is how the en banc process will go on this.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The newly unredacted portions of the Mueller report confirm that Trump knew Stone was in contact with WikiLeaks about stolen emails.

This is something Trump denied in his written answers to Mueller's questioning.
Donald Trump was told in advance that Wikileaks would be releasing documents embarrassing to the Clinton campaign and subsequently informed advisors that he expected more releases would be coming, according to newly unredacted portions of special counsel Robert Mueller's report into Russia’s interference in the 2016 election.

In July 2016, political consultant Roger Stone told Trump as well as several campaign advisors that he had spoken with Julian Assange and that WikiLeaks would be publishing the documents in a matter of days. Stone told the then-candidate via speakerphone that he "did not know what the content of the materials was," according to the newly unveiled portions of the report, and Trump responded "oh good, alright" upon hearing the news. WikiLeaks published a trove of some 20,000 emails Russians hacked from the Democratic National Committee on July 22 of that year.
But based on the interviews it conducted with those three men and other officials, Mueller’s report concluded it had "established that the Trump Campaign displayed interest in the WikiLeaks releases, and that former Campaign member Roger Stone was in contact with the Campaign about those releases, claiming advance knowledge of more to come."

The newly unredacted portions of the Mueller report also show that after the initial dump by WikiLeaks, Trump personally asked Manafort to keep in touch with Stone, who in turn told the then-campaign chairman to keep him “apprised of any developments with WikiLeaks.” Investigators were also told by Gates that Trump had multiple phone conversations with Stone during the campaign and that, following one call held en route to LaGuardia airport, “Trump told Gates that more releases of damaging information would be coming.”
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

A DOJ prosecutor is testifying to the House that he was explicitly told that that Stone sentencing decisions were done because of political pressure from the President.

Which, I mean, obviously. But at the same time, there's a big difference between "this is obviously what happened" and "a witness is saying that this is what happened."
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I confused though. Haven't we already firmly established that President Trump can do and say whatever he wants without any repercussions?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah the Zelinsky statement is crazy. In other news, the NYC bar associations writes Congress about the AG's lack of ethics. Totally normal.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

And Flynn WALKS

U.S. appeals court orders dismissal of criminal case against Michael Flynn
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgntp
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:46 am And Flynn WALKS

U.S. appeals court orders dismissal of criminal case against Michael Flynn
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgntp
You know this saga is likely not over yet, right?
Hodor.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I thought this move had some finality to it, no?

"preventing a judicial review of the propriety of the request"
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:57 am I thought this move had some finality to it, no?

"preventing a judicial review of the propriety of the request"
No. That's the order attempting to prevent Judge Sullivan from continuing his review of DOJ's request to dismiss the case.

The Court of Appeals will almost certainly be rehearing the panel decision en banc. This isn't over yet.
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Haven't read the decision yet but across the spectrum this was a shocking outcome except on the right.

Edit: Rao wrote it. Fuck even bothering. I'll read a summary but I expected this shit show. This is exhibit 1 to the danger this country is facing. Maybe the danger isn't now but dozens of Rao types have been installed in the judiciary.
Last edited by malchior on Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.