The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Fitzy

Re: The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by Fitzy »

Rip wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:13 pm
Hmmmmmm.
Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates considered military action in the early stages of their ongoing dispute with Qatar before Donald Trump called leaders of both countries and warned them to back off, according to two people familiar with the U.S. president’s discussions.

The Saudis and Emiratis were looking at ways to remove the Qatari regime, which they accused of sponsoring terrorism and cozying up to Iran, according to the people, who asked not to be identified because the discussions were confidential. Trump told Saudi and U.A.E. leaders that any military action would trigger a crisis across the Middle East that would only benefit Iran, one of the people said.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... e-on-qatar
I'm skeptical. Trump has shown zero ability at long term thinking. Either it didn't happen or he was reading from a script provided by someone else, one of the generals or even Tillerson.

Also Rip, aren't you the one pushing the debunked Uranium One Clinton theory? And a whole shit ton of other ridiculous Clinton conspiracy theories based on tiny coincidences? I would hope even Trump wouldn't base foreign policy on personal finance, but I wouldn't put it past him. The Kushner/Qatar link as at least plausible compared to some of the stuff you've pushed on this forum.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Fitzy wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:42 pm
Jeff V wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:28 pm Hepcat - now's your chance!

Free her and the pee tape could be yours!
That is so crazy, I'm almost tempted to believe her. Time for a Kickstarter? Free the Pee Tape!
I could see midnight showings at theaters with people cosplaying their favorite characters.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:

That is so crazy, I'm almost tempted to believe her. Time for a Kickstarter? Free the Pee Tape!
I could see midnight showings at theaters with people cosplaying their favorite characters.
With a whole Rocky Horror vibe going. Hopefully the water pistols will have water instead of, you know.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

$iljanus wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:47 am
hepcat wrote:

With a whole Rocky Horror vibe going. Hopefully the water pistols will have water instead of, you know.
In cosplay it’s important to be authentic.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Fitzy wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:44 am
$iljanus wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:47 am
hepcat wrote:

In cosplay it’s important to be authentic.
Authentic-looking replicas, though. I recommend apple juice.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

So how about that Sam Nunberg?
Hodor.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:24 pm So how about that Sam Nunberg?
I can't decide if he's just trying to throw someone else (i.e. Carter Page) under the bus - or he actually has useful information and he wants to "up the price" before ultimately agreeing to some deal with Mueller.
Enough

Post by Enough »

I feel like he might be experiencing a mental break from reality.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Holman

Post by Holman »

He's a Roger Stone protege, so if there's a scheme here it's Ratfuck Roger's.

Maybe the hope is that Mueller will look cruel (and therefore lose credibility) if he actually arrests and punishes someone who wasn't part of the conspiracy?

Maybe it's pardon bait, in the hope that more will follow?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That whole interview has to be heard to be believed. This guy is a winner.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Good Old Mr. Fed wrote:My partner reminds me that Nunberg was the guy tasked with explaining the constitution to Trump.

So, yeah.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:13 pm That whole interview has to be heard to be believed. This guy is a winner.
I thought his interview to Jake Tapper was pretty crazy...but then by the time he got to Ari Melber, he sounded positively unhinged.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

My read is something scared Nunberg shitless.

Given the context, one might guess he looked through the emails that were subpoenaed, found something incriminating about him or Stone or Drumpf, and is terrified of handing it over.
Last edited by Sepiche on Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I haven't even seen those. I saw Katy Tur...

Holman

Post by Holman »

Sepiche wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:20 pm My read is something scared Nunberg shitless.

Given the context, one might guess he looked through the emails that were subpoenaed, found something incriminating about him or Stone or Drumpf, and is terrified of handing it over.
I don't know how these things works, but various wonks have been pointing out that Mueller probably already has Nunberg's emails, subpoenaed by other means.

The question is whether Nunberg is losing his shit because he knows this or because he doesn't.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Holman wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:42 pm The question is whether Nunberg is losing his shit because he knows this or because he doesn't.
Nunberg knows. He said that judging from the questions that Mueller was asking - Mueller must already have information that he could have only gotten from Roger Stone's emails. (this was in the last hour, interview with Ari Melber)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

gilraen wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:04 pm
Holman wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:42 pm The question is whether Nunberg is losing his shit because he knows this or because he doesn't.
Nunberg knows. He said that judging from the questions that Mueller was asking - Mueller must already have information that he could have only gotten from Roger Stone's emails. (this was in the last hour, interview with Ari Melber)
I can't rule out he isn't drunk at that point. Also, his world is about to get very dark.
malchior

Post by malchior »

There is a certain logic to it - he *might* be calculating that contempt is better than the alternatives. But he also sounds off his rocker at points so you have to wonder if logic factors in.
Holman

Post by Holman »

One of his in-person interviewers tonight told him that she could clearly smell alcohol on his breath. He denied it, then said something about being on anti-depressants instead, which is just off-track enough to be an admission.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holy shit, that was just nuts. Dude had to be drunk, right?

Katy Tur was really damn good. The way she led him around was amazing to watch.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:04 pmKaty Tur was really damn good. The way she led him around was amazing to watch.
Dude. There are levels within levels here.

We have to go deeper....

Deeper?

For the love of god, will somebody please help Trump take two strokes off his golf game.
Last edited by Jag on Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I thought the Ari Melber discussion was interesting because 1) Nunberg doesn't appear drunk to me...at all and 2) he is making some sort of sense throughout. If you start with his stated belief that he thinks he is being used to set up Roger Stone for something. It makes sense. He could be lying about that but it sure doesn't sound like it. What it almost comes down to is he has a grudge (legit or not) against Trump and was fine with burning him...up to the point either himself or Roger were in the crosshairs. Which again makes sense. Still he is doing himself no favors with this weird act. I'm chalking this up as just another wacky day in the national circus.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:13 pm That whole interview has to be heard to be believed. This guy is a winner.
Dadgum if that wasn’t entertaining and crazy, I don’t know what is. Utterly hilarious!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

I find it sort of amazing how earnest he is about his belief that Mueller is just going to let this go. It's so, so bizarre.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote:I find it sort of amazing how earnest he is about his belief that Mueller is just going to let this go. It's so, so bizarre.
Exactly. Like, there is exactly zero chance of that. Maybe he doesn't go straight to jail, but his prospects certainly aren't improving.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

And of course Mueller almost certainly has those emails anyways. But maybe getting jailed for contempt is better than being thought to betray Stone/Trump by complying?
Black Lives Matter
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:53 am And of course Mueller almost certainly has those emails anyways. But maybe getting jailed for contempt is better than being thought to betray Stone/Trump by complying?
I think someone mentioned it already but I saw that as his way to a trump pardon.

EDIT: Then again I'm not drunk and/or on antidepressants so i probably don't have nunbergs insight
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Nunberg sounded desperate. He doesn't have the money to hire lawyers to go through his e-mails for him -- 80 hours worth of work.

So he's looking at all of the personal, unflattering things in the daily back and forth to his friend and mentor -- and realizing this doesn't end well for him. In his mind, Nunberg was "treated poorly" by Trump so Mueller was supposed to go easy on him. But Nunberg was there in the beginning, might be willing to talk, and isn't the smartest guy. So the Feds are squeezing him -- and it's working.

After today's stunt, I expect his lawyers called up and said -- "I'm not going to fire you, but it's time to plead because you're dead meat."

Only the best and brightest.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

It sounds more like he is creating some kind of reverse smoke screen to cover for his master, Roger Stone, more than anything. Said Trump is a moron, probably did something wrong, and repeated that Roger Stone is innocent, God, awesome, etc. about 20 times.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:55 am Nunberg sounded desperate. He doesn't have the money to hire lawyers to go through his e-mails for him -- 80 hours worth of work.

So he's looking at all of the personal, unflattering things in the daily back and forth to his friend and mentor -- and realizing this doesn't end well for him. In his mind, Nunberg was "treated poorly" by Trump so Mueller was supposed to go easy on him. But Nunberg was there in the beginning, might be willing to talk, and isn't the smartest guy. So the Feds are squeezing him -- and it's working.

After today's stunt, I expect his lawyers called up and said -- "I'm not going to fire you, but it's time to plead because you're dead meat."

Only the best and brightest.
This seems like the most logical explanation. There's some mix of incriminating and embarrassing content in his e-mails, and hiring lawyers would bankrupt him. As you say he gets desperate and depressed. It seems pretty clear that he was drunk and/or high during the interviews, which presumably is connected to him being desperate and depressed.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Today Nunberg has reversed himself and says he will cooperate with the subpoena.

It's really hard to know what last night was about. I'm going to go with desperate drinking followed by desperate bid for notoriety succeeded by desperate hangover and desperate remorse.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The strange thing is that Nunberg is a lawyer! He knows exactly why and what legal basis there is for Mueller's request. The whole thing was just so surreal - there are rumors going around that he was drunk during the interviews, but he did not sound intoxicated.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And not a thing will happen to her. She’s untouchable as long as the orange Don controls the underworld.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Oh, now this: UAE figure with Trump-Russia ties now cooperating with Mueller.
Mr. Mueller appears to be examining the influence of foreign money on Mr. Trump’s political activities and has asked witnesses about the possibility that the adviser, George Nader, funneled money from the Emirates to the president’s political efforts. It is illegal for foreign entities to contribute to campaigns or for Americans to knowingly accept foreign money for political races.

Mr. Nader, a Lebanese-American businessman who advises Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayed Al-Nahyan, the effective ruler of the Emirates, also attended a January 2017 meeting in the Seychelles that Mr. Mueller’s investigators have examined. The meeting, convened by the crown prince, brought together a Russian investor close to President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia with Erik Prince, the founder of Blackwater and an informal adviser to Mr. Trump’s team during the presidential transition, according to three people familiar with the meeting.

Mr. Nader’s cooperation in the special counsel’s investigation could prompt new legal risks for the Trump administration, and Mr. Nader’s presence at the Seychelles meeting appears to connect him to the primary focus of Mr. Mueller’s investigation: examining Russian interference during the 2016 presidential campaign.
In his testimony to congress and the FBI, Erik Prince claimed the Seychelles trip had nothing to do with Trump, and he failed to disclose Nader's presence. I think maybe it's about to be Prince's time in the barrel.

For non-colluders, Trump people sometimes seem to lie about some of their Russia connections.

I kid. They've lied about all of them. Dozens of them, repeatedly, until cornered.

Like totally innocent people.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

More here about the Prince meeting in the Seychelles:

https://www.vox.com/2018/3/7/17088908/e ... es-mueller
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Putins got a lead! If by lead we mean an ugly accusation with no proof.

Putin Says Jews Might Be to Blame for 2016 Election Hacking

Though Putin has allied himself with the deeply conservative Russian Orthodox Church, which has recently promoted anti-Semitic conspiracy theories, hatred of Jews has generally not been a big part of his nationalist playbook. But apparently he’s fine with scapegoating the group, and other minorities, when it suits his political interests.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:41 am

I have it on the very best authority that jail in Thailand is not a very nice place to be, people would do just about anything to "not" be there. :roll:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

em2nought wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:23 pm
hepcat wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:41 am

I have it on the very best authority that jail in Thailand is not a very nice place to be, people would do just about anything to "not" be there. :roll:
Yep, like give up the pee tape to whoever rescues her from that hell hole. It could sell for millions otherwise and hepcat can't afford that.
Black Lives Matter