The Trump foreign policy thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

TheMix

Re: The Trump foreign policy thread

Post by TheMix »

Did I misunderstand? (Granted I only scanned the article quickly.) But my impression was that Trump wanted to buy Greenland. For Trump. Not for the US. Truman wanted to buy Greenland for the US. So that comparison seems invalid.

However, as I imagine that Trump would try and use government funds, maybe eventually (after the inevitable legal battles), it would end up being owned by the US instead of him personally. So the comparison would then be valid.

Luckily Denmark, I assume, would tell him to get bent.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:57 am Maybe the government of Israel should have just stuck to the original plan of letting them in instead of being Donald's piss boy.

Everything the Donald touches just turns to shit.

This. But at the same time I don't get Tlaib (and I voted for her. She's my rep). She had the high ground and gave it up and turned it in to politics. That's a shitty thing to do when your premise is "it might be my last chance to meet her" but then claiming the exception is "I will not allow the Israeli government to humiliate me and my family.”

There may be more here but there twitter spat doesn't show it. It show Tlaib using her grandmother as the bargaining chip, not the other way.
Enough

Post by Enough »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:48 pm
$iljanus wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:57 am Maybe the government of Israel should have just stuck to the original plan of letting them in instead of being Donald's piss boy.

Everything the Donald touches just turns to shit.

This. But at the same time I don't get Tlaib (and I voted for her. She's my rep). She had the high ground and gave it up and turned it in to politics. That's a shitty thing to do when your premise is "it might be my last chance to meet her" but then claiming the exception is "I will not allow the Israeli government to humiliate me and my family.”

There may be more here but there twitter spat doesn't show it. It show Tlaib using her grandmother as the bargaining chip, not the other way.
Where the conditions Israel put on the trip acceptable? Does capitulating to those conditions to see her family outweigh the morality of allowing yourself to be subject to rules you know to be both grossly restrictive/unjust and at the same time feel cool about taking something you got out of privilege that other members of the cohort would never get? From here I see lots of murky grey shades.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

TheMix wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:58 am Did I misunderstand? (Granted I only scanned the article quickly.) But my impression was that Trump wanted to buy Greenland. For Trump. Not for the US. Truman wanted to buy Greenland for the US. So that comparison seems invalid.
I think he was trying to buy it for America, not himself. Something that was also proposed by other presidents due to its strategic value. I don't think the Danish have ever taken such proposals very seriously though.
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

TheMix wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:58 am Did I misunderstand? (Granted I only scanned the article quickly.) But my impression was that Trump wanted to buy Greenland. For Trump. Not for the US. Truman wanted to buy Greenland for the US. So that comparison seems invalid.

However, as I imagine that Trump would try and use government funds, maybe eventually (after the inevitable legal battles), it would end up being owned by the US instead of him personally. So the comparison would then be valid.

Scene: upcoming Trump tally

“Maybe I should send you back to where you were? Unemployed...in GREENLAND?!

Crowd: SEND HIM BACK! SEND HIM BACK!

FIN
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:37 pm

Scene: upcoming Trump tally

“Maybe I should send you back to where you were? Unemployed...in GREENLAND?!

Crowd: SEND HIM BACK! SEND HIM BACK!

FIN
:lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Tlaib and Omar aren't doing themselves any favors right now.

Hodor.
Enough

Post by Enough »

pr0ner wrote:Tlaib and Omar aren't doing themselves any favors right now.

Ugh...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Not the Onion: Trump postpones Denmark trip after prime minister declines to sell him Greenland.
Trump had been scheduled to visit Denmark in two weeks. He said Sunday that his visit was not related to his interest in Greenland.

“Not for this reason at all,” he said.

But his Tuesday night tweets made clear that the central purpose of his trip had in fact been discussion of a U.S. purchase of the massive, glaciered island, which holds increasing strategic value as melting sea ice opens new parts of the Arctic to shipping and resource extraction.
I wonder if they'd consider swapping for Florida. Maybe throw in a Dakota or two.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

:doh:
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:09 pm Not the Onion: Trump postpones Denmark trip after prime minister declines to sell him Greenland.
Trump had been scheduled to visit Denmark in two weeks. He said Sunday that his visit was not related to his inest in Greenland.

But his Tuesday night tweets made clear that the central purpose of his trip had in fact been discussion of a U.S. purchase of the massive, glaciered island, which holds increasing strategic value as melting sea ice opens new parts of the Arctic to shipping and resource extraction.
I wonder if they'd consider swapping for Florida. Maybe throw in a Dakota or two.
Not the reason at all?

Denmark is a very special country with incredible people, but based on Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen’s comments, that she would have no interest in discussing the purchase of Greenland, I will be postponing our meeting scheduled in two weeks for another time....
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The Snowflake-in-Chief himself has clarified that he cancelled the visit because the Danish PM was not nice to him.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

North Korea called him a “mentally deranged U.S. dotard" but Denmark saying he's being absurd is the one that makes him cancel a trip?
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

When the truth comes out that he got angry over finding out that Denmark is not where Entenmann's Cheese Danish comes from and they would not be providing trays of them for his visit, I think it will make more sense.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'd like the transcript for that. Where Don basically is saying "I am the United States". I'd say I find it hard believe, but I don't, which is the desire for a citation is curiosity and not dismissal.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But he's still on for a trip to the moon to get some of that sweet, sweet moon cheese everyone keeps talking about at his daycare center.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Yet another woman who calls out his bullshit gets called "nasty". Crybaby in Chief strikes again!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

In Trump's mind, his refusal to visit was a devastating blow to the PM, who must have spent last night curled in a fetal position crying into her pillow.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:17 am
So that's exactly what he'd do, isn't it?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Then where would Lee go when he next wants to escape civilization?
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

He wouldn't have the money anyways. I bet Trumps real bank money account holds less than $20 million.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:09 pm Not the Onion: Trump postpones Denmark trip after prime minister declines to sell him Greenland.
Trump had been scheduled to visit Denmark in two weeks. He said Sunday that his visit was not related to his interest in Greenland.

That's what really throws me. We've gone so far over the rails we're coming up behind the Onion with reality and saying, 'Top that!'

I just want off this ride....
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm sure #russiancosigners aren't impacting this decision.

Trump administration mulling cutting $250M of military aid to Ukraine.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BI
"It's hard to see the bar anymore since it's been pushed so far down the last few years, but President Trump's behavior over the weekend was a new low."

That was the assessment an FBI agent who works in counterintelligence gave Insider of President Donald Trump's performance at this year's G7 summit in Biarritz, France. The agent requested anonymity because they feared that speaking publicly on the matter would jeopardize their job.

Trump's attendance at the G7 summit was peppered with controversy, but none was more notable than his fervent defense of Russia's military and cyber aggression around the world and its violation of international law in Ukraine.

Trump repeatedly refused to hold Russia accountable for annexing Crimea in 2014, blamed former President Barack Obama for Russia's move to annex it, expressed sympathy for Russian President Vladimir Putin, and castigated other G7 members for not giving the country a seat at the table.
"What in god's name made Trump think it would be a good idea to ask to bring Russia back to the table?" the FBI agent told Insider. "How does this serve US national security interests?"

Trump's advocacy for Russian interests is renewing concerns among intelligence veterans that Trump may be a Russian "asset" who can be manipulated or influenced to serve Russian interests, although some also speculate that Trump could just be currying favor for future business deals.

A former senior Justice Department official, who worked closely with the former special counsel Robert Mueller when he was FBI director, didn't mince words when reacting to Trump's performance at the G7: "There is no fathomable explanation for why the president said these things. Letting Russia off the hook for bullying smaller countries and then blaming Obama for it? It's directly out of the Putin playbook. We have a Russian asset sitting in the Oval Office."
According to the Washington Post, one show on the state-run Rossiya-1 network played a celebratory soundtrack as it showed six video clips of Trump demanding that Putin be given a seat at the table.

The Russian media analyst Julia Davis noted that Kremlin-controlled media reacted to Trump's G7 performance with laughter and mockery.

One anchor rejoiced that "Trump is dancing to Putin's tune," while others were amused by the " maniacal persistence" with which Trump was lobbying for Russia.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
President Trump announced Thursday that he is canceling a planned trip to Poland and will remain in the United States to monitor Hurricane Dorian, which is headed toward a potential landfall in Florida or elsewhere along the East Coast by early next week.

Vice President Pence will make the trip instead, Trump said.

“It’s something very important for me to be here. The storm looks like it could be a very, very big one indeed,” Trump said in the Rose Garden of the White House during an event focused on the new space command.

Trump was set to travel to Poland this weekend to participate in a World War II commemoration ceremony.
White House officials had begun discussing the cancellation of the entire trip earlier this week, according to a person briefed on the discussions.
Despite President Andrzej Duda being from a right-wing party, the fact that it's called Law and Justice probably doesn't sit real well with him, either.

Or maybe it's that:
The party is solidarist and mildly Eurosceptic, and shares similar political tactics with Hungary's Fidesz but with anti-Russian stances.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's more likely he's worried about his properties in Florida. FEMA is probably on stand-by to protect his assets.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I would be somewhat amused if Cape Canaveral is obliterated and sets his "space command" back several decades. Hopefully his knee-jerk response would be hyperfunding, which would be used for good purpose.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I just assume he'd use any excuse not to travel out of the country. Why? Because he's a grumpy old man and he just wants to sit around the White House in his underpants, watch Fox News and eat hamberders.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:35 pm It's more likely he's worried about his properties in Florida. FEMA is probably on stand-by to protect his assets.
Maybe some of that, but more to the point: FL is a swing state -- unlike PR, which would go blue if it even had electoral votes -- so he's got to show that he is a loving god.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Trumps foreign policy is to piss everyone off and let God calm them down.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Berkowitz just turned 30. He finished his law degree in 2016. Apparently his job is to make Jared look like an Elder Statesman.

He worked for the Kushner family's real-estate firm before the Trump administration. He has no expertise in diplomacy, history, political science, or anything else relevant to the Middle East. I'm sure he'll sort it right out, though.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I've heard of unqualified before, but he appointed Son of Sam?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Drain that swamp.

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Drinking buddies need jobs too!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

If this guy was named GM of a major sports team, there would be riots in the streets and possible Congressional hearings.

US Envoy to the Middle East? Eh. Just Trump being Trump.

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump Tower Riyadh ain't going to build itself, people.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Nepotism
malchior

Post by malchior »

Wut? He was a murderous thug authoritarian who broke his nation's economy and politics.