Iran

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Defiant

Re: Iran

Post by Defiant »

A group of Iranian protesters demanded that the country’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei step down on Saturday after the government said its military had by mistake shot down a Ukrainian plane, killing all 176 people on board.
Protests erupt in Iran over plane's downing that killed 176

Can't see any reference to the size of these protests, though. My guess is they won't last long, though.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Defiant wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:47 pm
A group of Iranian protesters demanded that the country’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei step down on Saturday after the government said its military had by mistake shot down a Ukrainian plane, killing all 176 people on board.
Protests erupt in Iran over plane's downing that killed 176

Can't see any reference to the size of these protests, though. My guess is they won't last long, though.
Apparently they're pretty significant, and Iran hasn't managed to lock down journalist access yet.

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

On the plus side, Iran produced a 16 year old chess grandmaster, Alireza Firouzja, who is rocking the chess world. On the minus side they refused to let him play Israeli players, so he moved to France. :doh:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Is it just me, or is Trump one lucky son of a bitch? No matter how much he screws up, something seems to usually happen that either covers it up, or makes it go his way. And trust me, it is blind luck. Nothing about it can be attributed to his being clever.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Trump is the greatest evidence so far that we are living in a simulation.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The strategy is totally working. If they had Soleimani still this would totally be handled already since Iran is totally without a bench.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sec Def Mark Esper is really bad at this.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

First its death to America then its death to their own leaders. Iranians are so fickle.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:07 pm Is it just me, or is Trump one lucky son of a bitch? No matter how much he screws up, something seems to usually happen that either covers it up, or makes it go his way. And trust me, it is blind luck. Nothing about it can be attributed to his being clever.
Yeah, Iran admitting to this is just so huge for trump. Wonder if they will even be able to respond for the assassination via proxies now that they are going to have so much trouble at home.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:18 pm First its death to America then its death to their own leaders. Iranians are so fickle.
Too bad we're no better.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NBC News
President Donald Trump authorized the killing of Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani seven months ago if Iran's increased aggression resulted in the death of an American, according to five current and former senior administration officials.

The presidential directive in June came with the condition that Trump would have final signoff on any specific operation to kill Soleimani, officials said.

That decision explains why assassinating Soleimani was on the menu of options that the military presented to Trump two weeks ago for responding to an attack by Iranian proxies in Iraq, in which a U.S. contractor was killed and four U.S. service members were wounded, the officials said.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That's surprisingly level headed, evidence of not doing the first that pops in his head, evidence that he not being handled by his America Uber Alles handlers, and I hope it's all true, not just messaging. As much as I want him out of office, I don't want the my executive office to be ruled by mania inspired assassinations.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:46 pmI hope it's all true, not just messaging.
Narrator: It is wasn't true. What is this? The fifth or sixth different story about this? Why should we believe this? They lie to us all the time. It is bullshit all the way down.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, this seems like it's an effort to diffuse the notion that Trump ordered this specifically during an election year. Jokes on you libs - he did this all the way back in April of 2019 when Trump was vetoing the ending of financial/military assistance to the Saudis. April is also when he designated Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard as a terrorist organization. 3D Chess you snowflakes!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

You know how you know someone had thought this out and was all 'level-headed' about something? When they did the thing that they had worked out long ago with specific criteria, and then proceeded to tell a bunch of obviously nonsense tales about how this was predicated. If killing Americans is the 'red line' then it seems like that would have been a reasonable thing to claim. Instead its like - It was 4 embassies being targeted for an attack! Yeah 4. Ticking time bomb like on 24! Hold up I mean 10! Sorry I'm really excited here...this guy was a mastermind of death, right? We found out he was targeting *ALL* our embassies. Everywhere. We had no choice!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It’s bullshit. They’re transparently covering for the dishonest boss.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If you had any doubt that Barr belongs to Trump in both body and soul, here’s proof you were wrong.

I want that scumbag in prison at some point.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
Thirty-four US service members have been diagnosed with traumatic brain injuries following the Iranian missile attack on US forces in Iraq earlier this month, Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said Friday.

Seventeen service members who were injured have since returned to duty in Iraq, sixteen of whom were treated locally in the country.

Nine service members are still being treated in Germany. An additional eight service members who had been flown to Germany have since been sent to the United States for additional treatment. The eight service members, who arrived in the US Friday morning, will be treated at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center or at hospitals in their home bases.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:11 pm CNN
Thirty-four US service members have been diagnosed with traumatic brain injuries following the Iranian missile attack on US forces in Iraq earlier this month, Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said Friday.

Seventeen service members who were injured have since returned to duty in Iraq, sixteen of whom were treated locally in the country.

Nine service members are still being treated in Germany. An additional eight service members who had been flown to Germany have since been sent to the United States for additional treatment. The eight service members, who arrived in the US Friday morning, will be treated at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center or at hospitals in their home bases.
Get real. It's just a headache. It's not like it's an amputation or a bone spur.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Hill
A prominent veterans advocacy group is asking President Trump for an apology over his remarks on injuries suffered by U.S. troops stationed at a military base in Iraq that was hit by Iranian airstrikes earlier this month.

Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) said Trump “minimized” the injuries the troops suffered after the Pentagon announced that dozens of U.S. troops suffered traumatic brain injuries (TBI). Trump had referred to the injuries as “headaches" and "not very serious" earlier in the week.
Trump had initially said no service members had been injured. He later said that he "heard that they had headaches and a couple of other things, but I would say and I can report that it’s not very serious"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NPR
The number of U.S. service members diagnosed with traumatic brain injury after Iranian missile attacks earlier this month has risen to 50 — up from the 34 reported last week. The Pentagon announced the increase Tuesday evening and said 32 of those 50 service members have already received treatment and returned to duty in Iraq.

The remaining 18 were sent to Germany for further evaluation.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NPR
Once again, the Pentagon is reporting an uptick in the number of U.S. service members injured in Iranian missile strikes earlier this month. The Department of Defense announced late Thursday that at least 64 service members have been diagnosed with mild traumatic brain injury, or TBI.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

USA Today
More than 100 U.S. troops have been diagnosed with mild traumatic brain injury from last month's Iranian missile attack on a base in Iraq, the Pentagon announced Monday.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BI
President Donald Trump on Monday doubled down on his assertion that the injuries suffered by US troops during an Iranian missile attack on US forces are "not very serious."
While roughly 70% of the injured troops have already returned to duty, at least 21 have been transported elsewhere for additional care, suggesting their injuries may be more severe.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:44 pm BI
President Donald Trump on Monday doubled down on his assertion that the injuries suffered by US troops during an Iranian missile attack on US forces are "not very serious."
While roughly 70% of the injured troops have already returned to duty, at least 21 have been transported elsewhere for additional care, suggesting their injuries may be more severe.
Send in his kids and their kids to a zone he plans to bomb a target with not very serious injuries to our military and the local populations.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Nearly three-quarters of Iran’s main centrifuge assembly hall was destroyed by the recent explosion there, Institute for Science and International Security (ISIS) president David Albright told The Jerusalem Post.
Albright indicated that this latest revelation is based on two new satellite overviews showing a much fuller picture than footage that was released last weekend, indicating that the vast majority of the centrifuge assembly hall was wiped out.
This could mean there will be increased delay to Iran’s nuclear program, since it will have to recover from the incident.
https://www.jpost.com/middle-east/iran- ... rts-634444
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Iran has been having a really bad run of luck when it comes to fires and things blowing up lately. Since Trump hasn't been tweeting about it, I can only presume that America isn't behind it. Or if they are, Trump hasn't been briefed on it.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:31 am Iran has been having a really bad run of luck when it comes to fires and things blowing up lately. Since Trump hasn't been tweeting about it, I can only presume that America isn't behind it. Or if they are, Trump hasn't been briefed on it.
The saddest part is that you could be correct about it being US and the POTUS having no idea because the people involved know he would ruin their cover and get agents killed.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Remus West wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:51 am
Max Peck wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:31 am Iran has been having a really bad run of luck when it comes to fires and things blowing up lately. Since Trump hasn't been tweeting about it, I can only presume that America isn't behind it. Or if they are, Trump hasn't been briefed on it.
The saddest part is that you could be correct about it being US and the POTUS having no idea because the people involved know he would ruin their cover and get agents killed.
I think various foreign governments and their spy agencies would certainly not inform the Blabbermouth in Chief for the reasons mentioned above. Even if he didn't say anything while he's in office I shudder to think of the crap he'll say at Mar a Largo while dining with various sycophants in order to impress them.

Mossad would come to mind for the operation but I wonder if the Saudi intelligence service had a hand in it since there's no love lost between Saudi Arabia and Iran.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

USA Today
The president of the U.N. Security Council on Tuesday rejected the Trump administration’s demand to restore all U.N. sanctions on Iran, a move that drew an angry rebuke from the U.S. ambassador who accused opponents of supporting “terrorists.”

Indonesia’s ambassador to the U.N., Dian Triansyah Djani, whose country currently holds the rotating council presidency, made the announcement in response to requests from Russia and China to disclose the results of his polling of the views of all countries on the 15-member council.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo insisted last Thursday that the United States has the legal right to “snap back” U.N. sanctions, even though President Donald Trump pulled out of the 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and six major powers that was endorsed by the U.N. Security Council.

All the council members, except the Dominican Republic, had informed the council president that the U.S. administration’s action was illegal because Trump withdrew in 2018 from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, or JCPOA.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

President Donald Trump last week asked senior aides what possibilities he had for an offensive strike on Iran's primary nuclear site, The New York Times reported Monday.

Citing four current and former US officials, the paper reported that the meeting occurred in the Oval Office on Thursday. A day before, the International Atomic Energy Agency issued a report obtained by the Times stating that Iran's stockpiles of uranium had reached 12 times the 300-kilogram limit set in the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, the landmark nuclear deal Iran signed with the United States and five other nations in 2015. Trump took the US out of the deal in 2018.
Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, acting Defense Secretary Christopher Miller and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley were among the senior advisers who convinced the President not to pursue a military strike
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/16/politics ... index.html
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Prominent Iranian nuclear scientist Fakhrizadeh injured in attack: Fars news agency
Prominent Iranian nuclear scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh was injured in an assassination attempt near Tehran on Friday and was being treated in a hospital, Iranian media reported.

Fakhrizadeh has long been suspected by Western, Israeli and Iranian exile foes of the Islamic Republic to have masterminded what they said was a covert atomic bomb programme halted in 2003. Iran has long denied seeking to weaponize nuclear energy.

The semi-official Fars News Agency, affiliated with Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guards, named the nuclear scientist injured in the reported attack as Fakhrizadeh.

Shortly before, several Iranian news outlets including state broadcaster IRIB said a nuclear and missile scientist had been assassinated in an attack. But there was no official confirmation of a death, and Tehran’s nuclear energy body said there had been no incident involving a nuclear scientist.

“News sources say a scientist has been the victim of an assassination attempt in an armed attack by unknown people on his team of bodyguards,” Iranian state television said in rolling coverage of the incident.
Iran's top nuclear scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh assassinated near Tehran
Iran's most senior nuclear scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh has been assassinated near the capital Tehran, the country's defence ministry has confirmed.

Fakhrizadeh died in hospital after being attacked in Damavand county.

Iranian news agencies said assailants targeted his car with a bomb before shooting at him.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

Reuters: Air strike kills IRGC commander at Iraq-Syria border - Iraqi officials
An air strike killed a commander of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards at the Iraq-Syria border sometime between Saturday and Sunday, Iraqi security and local militia officials said on Monday.

They could not confirm the identity of the commander, who they said was killed alongside three other men travelling in a vehicle with him.

The vehicle was carrying weapons across the Iraqi border and was hit after it had entered Syrian territory, two Iraqi security officials separately said.
Is this routine in the Syria war, or are we seeing someone ramp up tensions towards a conflict with Iran prior to Biden's inauguration?
malchior

Post by malchior »

The theory I've seen is that Isreal is ramping up action against Iran because they assume that Biden is going to take a less hostile stance against Iran.
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:47 pm The theory I've seen is that Isreal is ramping up action against Iran because they assume that Biden is going to take a less hostile stance against Iran.
I've seen that too. But I've also seen that Netanyahu probably doesn't want an immediate Iran war because (unlike Trump) he has no stake in tripping up Biden's new administration, especially when diplomacy in the region seems to be tilting Israel's way.

Killing Iran's top nuclear scientist is an expected Israeli move because Israel considers Iranian nuclear capability an existential threat. But the same wouldn't seem to apply to killing a Republican Guard commander in Syria, especially right after the scientist assassination when it would further ramp up tensions.

Not that I know anything, but if I were writing this novel I would have Trump hit an Iranian like this in order to piggyback on last week's news.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If trump were behind it, he'd be tweeting his own congrats.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kraken wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:24 pm If trump were behind aware of it, he'd be tweeting his own congrats.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BBC
A satellite-controlled machine-gun with "artificial intelligence" was used to kill Iran's top nuclear scientist, a Revolutionary Guards commander says.
On the day of the attack, the defence ministry said there was a gunfight between Fakhrizadeh's bodyguards and several gunmen.
The machine-gun "focused only on martyr Fakhrizadeh's face in a way that his wife, despite being only 25cm [10 inches] away, was not shot", he said.

The general reiterated that no human assailants had been present at the scene, saying that "in total 13 bullets were fired and all of them were shot from the [weapon] in the Nissan". Four bullets struck Fakhrizadeh's head of security "as he threw himself" on the scientist, he added.
The claims made about the attack being carried out using such a sophisticated high-tech weapon are as alarming as they are dystopian.

It's worth stressing that they have not been verified by anybody.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »