The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

BooTx

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by BooTx »

Moliere wrote:Trump supporters don't have a monopoly on political ignorance.
Maybe not, but they own the orange properties and blue properties, the railroads and utilities, and the majority of the houses and hotels. And now they have all the get out of jail free cards.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I have no problems with Oligarchs, as long as they don't pretend they're "self-made" and owe nothing to the society they benefit from. I think the American founders expected that the Oligarchs would have a responsibility to the "People" and be made accountable by the vote, with limitations to protect basic liberties and interests.

Trump fails those principles on so many levels.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Rip

Post by Rip »

Holman wrote:
Grifman wrote:
Holman wrote:The goal is oligarchic rule by a privileged elite that knows best. This has been the logical destination for right-wingers ever since Goldwater and then Reagan declared government itself the enemy.
If you are going to make this accusation, then there's very little difference between Republicans and Democrats when it comes to this. A lot of the "oligarchs" were Clinton supporters - Wall Street, Silicon Valley, legal profession, billionaires - these were all big Democratic donors. Neither party is necessarily of or for the people in many ways.
Sure, sure. There are elites on both sides, and they have all the money and make most of the policy.

But only one party is fully dedicated to voter shaming and the promoting of racial/religious baiting to regain power. That's the key difference, and it's the one that matters most in the American context.
Mortoned.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rip wrote:
Holman wrote:
Grifman wrote:
Holman wrote:The goal is oligarchic rule by a privileged elite that knows best. This has been the logical destination for right-wingers ever since Goldwater and then Reagan declared government itself the enemy.
If you are going to make this accusation, then there's very little difference between Republicans and Democrats when it comes to this. A lot of the "oligarchs" were Clinton supporters - Wall Street, Silicon Valley, legal profession, billionaires - these were all big Democratic donors. Neither party is necessarily of or for the people in many ways.
Sure, sure. There are elites on both sides, and they have all the money and make most of the policy.

But only one party is fully dedicated to voter shaming and the promoting of racial/religious baiting to regain power. That's the key difference, and it's the one that matters most in the American context.
Mortoned.
Snowflake. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

:mrgreen:
https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/ ... 4380530688
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Zarathud wrote:But the article DOESN'T limit itself. Sure, these examples are mostly trivial nonsense but it is used to draw broader strokes about criticism of Trump.

I object to THAT overarching bullshit. Very strongly.
I think you're reading too much into it. Sure, they say that this does provide insight into "the Resistance", but that's true. I also don't think that those of who strongly oppose Trump disagree with any of the four personas they list (i.e., that he's an international embarrassment, he has tyrannical tendencies, he's a bullying baby, and he's a buffoon). The personas are accurate, and the article doesn't dispute them. It merely shows how quite a few of the lies told about Trump are related to these personas.
Zarathud wrote:I have said time and time again that I will give Trump only the respect he gives others. Trump was all over the Obama birther lies. Trump exists in the "fake news" memes. Trump owes his very political existence to playing these tricks on others. You must take what you dish out. So I have no problem with mocking him as #fakepresident.

I'm not going to join in with the silly photos, except to laugh occasionally. As we have always done in R&P.
That's all well and good, but I don't see what it has to do with this discussion or this article. Are you saying it's OK to tell lies about Trump because he's a bad person and the ends justify the means? Or that any article that discussing lies about Trump without also discussing his lies is inherently a bad article?
Zarathud wrote:If you think comedians and satirists aren't allowed to exaggerate, you're wrong. Nero may not have literally fiddled while Rome burned, but it concisely illustrates what was going wrong at the time. Small handed vulgarian may similarly stand the test of time.
Of course comedians and satirists are allowed to exaggerate. But if they use a specific example of something to make a point, and they get the facts of that specific example wrong, then they're doing a bad job and deserve to be called out on it. Putting aside the immaturity and homophobic overtones for a moment, I don't have a problem with Colbert saying that Trump's mouth is Putin's cockholster. It's exaggeration, but it's used to make a point about Trump's apparent subservience to Putin, and everyone knows it's not the literal truth. When you spend 3 minutes excoriating Trump for misattributing a Nigerian poem as an "Irish proverb", including commenting that Trump called it an "Irish proverb", when Trump never actually called it an "Irish proverb", well, that's a different scenario. In that case, being a comedian doesn't forgive you for getting the basic facts wrong.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

This has got to hurt the core demographic.
Harley-Davidson Spirals Down, Announces U.S. Layoffs, Builds Factory In Thailand
https://seekingalpha.com/article/408859 ... y-thailand
Shares of Harley-Davidson (NYSE:HOG) dropped 10% on Tuesday morning after the company reported second-quarter earnings and were down nearly 6% at the end of the day. Almost everything was bad.

Retail sales by its dealers in the US fell 9.3% in Q2, compared to a year ago, to 49,668 motorcycles. They were "down more than we anticipated," the company said. And with "soft sales across most markets," sales by its dealers globally fell 6.7%.
More of its customers are getting financially distressed, hence there are rising delinquencies and losses on its loan book. This issue has also raised its ugly head once again for automakers and other consumer lenders.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

But it's "Made in America" Week!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Archinerd wrote:But it's "Made in America" Week!
Is it really? Or are you joking? If it is the week needs a new PR person. I've never heard of it.

Edit

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pl ... 4c254a4845

Oi.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yup...ZERO Ivanka Trump branded products are made in the U.S.A.

Zero.

But hey, that's fake news, right?

Idiots.
He won. Period.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Holman wrote:But only one party is fully dedicated to voter suppression and the promise of racial/religious supremacy to maintain power. That's the key difference, and it's the one that matters most in the American context.
Yes, but that wasn't the argument you were making :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Paywall

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

It's a rough time to be Jeff Sessions...
"Jeff Sessions takes the job, gets into the job, recuses himself, which frankly I think is very unfair to the President," Trump said, referring to himself. "How do you take a job and then recuse yourself? If he would have recused himself before the job, I would have said, 'Thanks, Jeff, but I'm not going to take you.' It's extremely unfair -- and that's a mild word -- to the President."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He sure loves burning bridges, doesn't he? Is there anyone he won't turn on? Well, anyone not related to him?
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote:He sure loves burning bridges, doesn't he? Is there anyone he won't turn on? Well, anyone not related to him?
Putin and representatives of Putin?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Dogstar wrote:It's a rough time to be Jeff Sessions...
"Jeff Sessions takes the job, gets into the job, recuses himself, which frankly I think is very unfair to the President," Trump said, referring to himself. "How do you take a job and then recuse yourself? If he would have recused himself before the job, I would have said, 'Thanks, Jeff, but I'm not going to take you.' It's extremely unfair -- and that's a mild word -- to the President."
"I hire the dude for one job and THEN he says he can't do it??"

It's clear that Trump thinks the AG's whole job is to protect him from the investigation. Sessions' replacement will have no illusions about that.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Tell us what word is better than "extremely unfair", here Don, you whiny piece of shit. It's his favorite word! My very whiny 10 YO girl uses that word less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

LordMortis wrote:
hepcat wrote:He sure loves burning bridges, doesn't he? Is there anyone he won't turn on? Well, anyone not related to him?
They get turned on by Trump all the time.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

wonderpug wrote:
LordMortis wrote:

They get turned on by Trump all the time.
Eww?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Tell us what word is better than "extremely unfair", here Don, you whiny piece of shit. It's his favorite word! My very whiny 10 YO girl uses that word less.
You say that so often! I wonder what your basis for comparison is.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Also from the NYT interview (from which I think we still don't have a full transcript):

Trump accuses Comey of trying to use the Steele Dossier against him "for leverage." (Presumably he's saying Comey was blackmailing or threatening him so that he could keep his job.) But how can the dossier work as leverage if, as Trump has claimed, it's all fake?

Also, for some reason he repeats trivia he obviously heard on his Paris trip, but he gets it hilariously wrong, apparently believing Napoleon I (who invaded Russia) and Napoleon III (who redesigned Paris) were the same person.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I wish that was just because he had recorded an episode of Drunk History.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Holman wrote:Also from the NYT interview (from which I think we still don't have a full transcript):

Trump accuses Comey of trying to use the Steele Dossier against him "for leverage." (Presumably he's saying Comey was blackmailing or threatening him so that he could keep his job.) But how can the dossier work as leverage if, as Trump has claimed, it's all fake?

Also, for some reason he repeats trivia he obviously heard on his Paris trip, but he gets it hilariously wrong, apparently believing Napoleon I (who invaded Russia) and Napoleon III (who redesigned Paris) were the same person.
I read portions of that interview (since people are posting them on Twitter), I don't think I can stomach reading the entire thing, my brain might melt. The fact that he doesn't comprehend the difference between Napoleon Bonaparte and Napoleon III is to be expected. But try making sense of this gem: "And [Napoleon's] one problem is that he didn't go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death" - WTF?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Trump was all like...Russia is *the destination* for extracurricular activities. Duh. Don't waste time and let winter get you brah.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Oh, and also he insists that the FBI Director reports to the POTUS and to no one else, and that the next one will understand this better than Comey or McCabe.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote:Oh, and also he insists that the FBI Director reports to the POTUS and to no one else, and that the next one will understand this better than Comey or McCabe.
This is easy to parse. Sessions is his personal lawyer. The FBI Director is his head of security. Zincke runs the Trump coal mines and natural gas fracking operations. Carson manages Trump's slummier real estate properties. Price is fucking useless. Tillerson is the special counsel to the Putin partnership interest. No one knows what the hell Perry is up to but no one cares. De Vos runs the newly re-branded Trump U. Mnuchin heads the Trump Treasury making sure that government funds are expediently distributed to Trump family trusts in a fair and consistent manner.
PLW

Post by PLW »

Holman wrote:Also from the NYT interview (from which I think we still don't have a full transcript):

This is pretty close to a full transcript. I think it's all we'll get.The whole thing was interesting. He continues to come off as a guy who has no idea how little he knows.
Last edited by PLW on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But the Russians have great fighters in the cold. They use the cold to their advantage. I mean, they’ve won five wars where the armies that went against them froze to death. [crosstalk] It’s pretty amazing.
He really does come across as a Russia fanboy in every interview, debate or meeting, doesn't he?
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

hepcat wrote:
But the Russians have great fighters in the cold. They use the cold to their advantage. I mean, they’ve won five wars where the armies that went against them froze to death. [crosstalk] It’s pretty amazing.
He really does come across as a Russia fanboy in every interview, debate or meeting, doesn't he?
Someone should point out to him that if the Russians rely on watching their enemies freeze to death, then he should get cracking on global warming before it strips them of their greatest military strength.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
tgb

Post by tgb »

Holman wrote:
You just wait until he has to replace Kushner and chooses Napoleon XIV
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As part of American first, here's some good news - the Trump administration lifted the foreign guest worker visa cap:
On Monday, the Department of Homeland Security raised the cap on H-2B visas for foreign guest workers from 66,000 visas per year to 81,000.
Wait for it...
On Thursday — just three days later — Trump’s properties told the Department of Labor that they wanted approval to hire 76 guest workers using those visas.

... the Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Florida, said it wanted to hire 15 housekeepers for $10.33 an hour; 20 cooks for $13.34 an hour; and 35 servers for $11.88 an hour. The Trump National Golf Club in Jupiter, Florida, was asking for six cooks to hire for $13.34 per hour. These requests are published in a database updated by the Department of Labor.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

But...wait...isn't his thing that there aren't enough jobs for Americans? That we need to make more, and cut back the number of immigrants who keep taking them? But now you're telling me that we need an extra 15,000 foreign workers to fill jobs because American's can't/won't take them? I need him to explain this to me with pictures.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Chaz wrote:But...wait...isn't his thing that there aren't enough jobs for Americans? That we need to make more, and cut back the number of immigrants who keep taking them? But now you're telling me that we need an extra 15,000 foreign workers to fill jobs because American's can't/won't take them? I need him to explain this to me with pictures.
We don't need them. He does.
President Trump's Mar-a-Lago Club in Florida has asked permission to hire 70 foreign workers this fall, attesting — in the middle of the White House's “Made in America Week” — that it cannot find qualified Americans to serve as cooks, waiters and housekeepers.

Those requests were made to the Department of Labor in recent days and posted online Thursday.
Lemme guess...there are a lot of qualified Russians available. Ex-Spetsnaz make great cooks and waiters.
Now, the Labor Department — which reports to Trump — must make decisions that will affect two for-profit business that the president still owns.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

A new interview reveals Trump’s ignorance to be surprisingly wide-ranging
Nobody knows everything, and certainly nobody who’s ever sat in the Oval Office has entered with a complete mastery of all the varied issues that land on the desk of the president of the United States.

But reading the transcript of Donald Trump’s recent interview with three New York Times reporters, two things stand out. One is the sheer range of subjects that Trump does not understand correctly — from French urban planning to health insurance to Russian military history to where Baltimore is to domestic policy in the 1990s to his own regulatory initiatives. The other is that Trump is determined, across the board, to simply bluff and bluster through rather than admitting to any uncertainty or gaps in his knowledge.

It’s an approach that’s certainly commonplace among Trump’s cohort of rich Manhattanites. People who’ve spent years surrounded by flatterers and lackeys eager to get their hands on their money tend to come away with an inflated sense of their own domains of competence. But precisely because the demands of the presidency are so unimaginably vast, it’s a frightening attribute in a chief executive.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
malchior

Post by malchior »

Breaking news says that Spicey has left the building! He resigned apparently due to a clash over the hiring of Anthony Scaramucci as Communications Director.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

malchior wrote:Breaking news says that Spicey has left the building! He resigned apparently due to a clash over the hiring of Anthony Scaramucci as Communications Director.
I know I shouldn't, given the continuous lying and all, but I can't help feeling kind of bad for him.
malchior

Post by malchior »

they bought their tickets...they knew what they were getting into...
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Spice Out!!!!!!!!!!!! Man SNL is losing a lot of content from this move.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote:Breaking news says that Spicey has left the building! He resigned apparently due to a clash over the hiring of Anthony Scaramucci as Communications Director.
Yeah, I can imagine I would "clash" with my employer as well when they introduced me to my replacement. :D