The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Alefroth

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Alefroth »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:04 pm It's time for my daily moment of "I can't believe this is the absolute fucking moron the GOP has hitched their wagons to".

Where did this whole water thing come from anyways? I've seen him babbling about it a few times now.

I especially love the subtle "women tell me" when discussing dishwashers (for some damn reason).
Water conservation devices. You know, needless regulations that do nothing but harm the regular folk.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:04 pm It's time for my daily moment of "I can't believe this is the absolute fucking moron the GOP has hitched their wagons to".

Where did this whole water thing come from anyways? I've seen him babbling about it a few times now.

I especially love the subtle "women tell me" when discussing dishwashers (for some damn reason).
The Great Lakes Pipeline, federally funded and delivering fresh water to Trump desert properties since 2021.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Enough

Post by Enough »

LawBeefaroni wrote:

The Great Lakes Pipeline, federally funded and delivering fresh water to Trump desert properties since 2021.
Those damn light bulbs again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Defiant wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:00 pm
I bet, that if he had been wearing a tan suit, the Democrats wouldn't have treated him like a piece of maggot-riddled meat.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Let’s play a game, shall we? Is the following statement:

A) An actual quote from the President of the United States, or
B) A quote generated via a random word generator,
C) A satirical article by The Onion
“I never understood wind,” Trump said. “I know windmills very much, I have studied it better than anybody. I know it is very expensive. They are made in China and Germany mostly, very few made here, almost none, but they are manufactured, tremendous — if you are into this — tremendous fumes and gases are spewing into the atmosphere. You know we have a world, right?”

“So the world is tiny compared to the universe. So tremendous, tremendous amount of fumes and everything. You talk about the carbon footprint, fumes are spewing into the air, right spewing, whether it is China or Germany, is going into the air,” he continued.

“A windmill will kill many bald eagles,” Trump continued. “After a certain number, they make you turn the windmill off, that is true. By the way, they make you turn it off. And yet, if you killed one, they put you in jail. That is OK. But why is it OK for windmills to destroy the bird population.
No cheating!!
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I haven't looked yet...I'll go with computer generated.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump prefers war criminals who don't not get pardoned.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Every day is another step towards becoming another right-wing autocracy like Poland or Hungary. FWIW this is the best article on the subject I can remember reading. It contextualizes the whole thing end-to-end. How the GOP blocked Obama appointments. How they have built a judicial appointment factory ramming through sometimes unqualified, younger conservative judges. My only gripe is they left out the shocking (at least to me) demographic and qualification data for Trump appointees. 80%+ white. Almost 80% *male*. 5-10% rated not qualified by the ABA (0% under Obama).

Still it also captured the Democratic response to the crisis which seems to be that they have to win and address it by ramming through their own judges. Short-term playing from behind thinking as usual from the feckless Democrats who've been bested by the GOP time and time again. The picture of complete, continuing political malpractice.

In short, Article III is now facing a breaking point via political dysfunction to match the other two branches. The courts have been our firewall against autocracy and the GOP is subverting it too at last. It is likely only a matter of time before this system fails as we knew it - grinding away slowly over the next few decades. There is even the chance it devolves quickly depending on how Mazars goes over the next few years.
After three years in office, President Trump has remade the federal judiciary, ensuring a conservative tilt for decades and cementing his legacy no matter the outcome of November’s election.

Trump nominees make up 1 in 4 U.S. circuit court judges. Two of his picks sit on the Supreme Court. And this past week, as the House voted to impeach the president, the Republican-led Senate confirmed an additional 13 district court judges.

In total, Trump has installed 187 judges to the federal bench.

Trump’s mark on the judiciary is already having far-reaching effects on legislation and liberal priorities. Just last week, the 5th Circuit struck down a core provision of the Affordable Care Act. One of the two appellate judges who ruled against the landmark law was a Trump appointee.

The Supreme Court — where two of the nine justices are conservatives selected by Trump — could eventually hear that case.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Always figured America would not come close to outlasting Rome. Was hoping I was wrong. And not in my lifetime.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:55 am Every day is another step towards becoming another right-wing autocracy like Poland or Hungary. FWIW this is the best article on the subject I can remember reading. It contextualizes the whole thing end-to-end. How the GOP blocked Obama appointments. How they have built a judicial appointment factory ramming through sometimes unqualified, younger conservative judges. My only gripe is they left out the shocking (at least to me) demographic and qualification data for Trump appointees. 80%+ white. Almost 80% *male*. 5-10% rated not qualified by the ABA (0% under Obama).

Still it also captured the Democratic response to the crisis which seems to be that they have to win and address it by ramming through their own judges. Short-term playing from behind thinking as usual from the feckless Democrats who've been bested by the GOP time and time again. The picture of complete, continuing political malpractice.

In short, Article III is now facing a breaking point via political dysfunction to match the other two branches. The courts have been our firewall against autocracy and the GOP is subverting it too at last. It is likely only a matter of time before this system fails as we knew it - grinding away slowly over the next few decades. There is even the chance it devolves quickly depending on how Mazars goes over the next few years.
After three years in office, President Trump has remade the federal judiciary, ensuring a conservative tilt for decades and cementing his legacy no matter the outcome of November’s election.

Trump nominees make up 1 in 4 U.S. circuit court judges. Two of his picks sit on the Supreme Court. And this past week, as the House voted to impeach the president, the Republican-led Senate confirmed an additional 13 district court judges.

Trump’s mark on the judiciary is already having far-reaching effects on legislation and liberal priorities. Just last week, the 5th Circuit struck down a core provision of the Affordable Care Act. One of the two appellate judges who ruled against the landmark law was a Trump appointee.

The Supreme Court — where two of the nine justices are conservatives selected by Trump — could eventually hear that case.
Yep.

"How can the GOP stand by while this train wreck happens?!???"

Judicial is why.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:31 am
malchior wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:55 am Every day is another step towards becoming another right-wing autocracy like Poland or Hungary. FWIW this is the best article on the subject I can remember reading. It contextualizes the whole thing end-to-end. How the GOP blocked Obama appointments. How they have built a judicial appointment factory ramming through sometimes unqualified, younger conservative judges. My only gripe is they left out the shocking (at least to me) demographic and qualification data for Trump appointees. 80%+ white. Almost 80% *male*. 5-10% rated not qualified by the ABA (0% under Obama).

Yep.

"How can the GOP stand by while this train wreck happens?!???"

Judicial is why.
The upside (such as it is) is that from what I've read it seems like these judges are more conservative ideologues than Trump loyalists. So while I expect that the effect will be to restrain liberal policies for quite a while, it's less clear that they'll stand by and let Trump consolidate a dictatorship. They might, of course, but that risk is not as bad as it could be.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:13 am The upside (such as it is) is that from what I've read it seems like these judges are more conservative ideologues than Trump loyalists. So while I expect that the effect will be to restrain liberal policies for quite a while, it's less clear that they'll stand by and let Trump consolidate a dictatorship. They might, of course, but that risk is not as bad as it could be.
But if they're there to greenlight voter suppression and gerrymandering, it serves a one-party dictatorship just the same.

Trump is an aberration only because he's so crude and stupid and obvious. President Tom Cotton or whoever will be much slicker in establishing the white-nationalist rule the GOP needs to survive.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:11 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:13 am The upside (such as it is) is that from what I've read it seems like these judges are more conservative ideologues than Trump loyalists. So while I expect that the effect will be to restrain liberal policies for quite a while, it's less clear that they'll stand by and let Trump consolidate a dictatorship. They might, of course, but that risk is not as bad as it could be.
But if they're there to greenlight voter suppression and gerrymandering, it serves a one-party dictatorship just the same.

Trump is an aberration only because he's so crude and stupid and obvious. President Tom Cotton or whoever will be much slicker in establishing the white-nationalist rule the GOP needs to survive.
Yup - look at how the current glut of Conservatives have gutted the VRA and empowered wealth to pervert the whole process already. The trajectory is not good. The Federalist society has a tradition back to ... 1982 and have selected about 40% of the current judiciary. Who are they loyal to? The American people? Fuck no. They are loyal to GOP rule. Maybe the judiciary will remain independent but it certainly doesn't look that way when you look at how they are ruling lately.

As a timely example of how many times has the ACA gone around? Dozens of lawsuits nows? We thought it was settled but the GOP got more court coverage and venue shopped yet another ACA lawsuit in the 5th circuit to take another swipe at the individual mandate.It is a complete mockery of justice at this point. The ruling was clearly political with some traditional Conservative outlets even calling it a naked political decision. And the appeals court basically endorsed the radical ruling in large part. Time will tell if this is the shape of things to come but it ain't looking good.

Edit: Coincidentally Slate just published a scathing critique of the 5th circuit. It probably needs to be cross-referenced with other critiques but the ACA lawsuit was shopped to the 5th because it is ideologically the most extreme now. And others are being converted like this.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:51 am
What a dope. It will just blow the pension thing up again. And it threatens one of the USPSs big revenue generators.

He's proven to be a terrible negotiator (as if we needed further proof) and the bully tactics that he uses to mask his ineptitude don't scale up to this level.
This is coming around again - the manufactured crisis is coming to a head under manufactured pressure by Trump. The decades long project to dismantle the USPS and sell the pieces to the highest bidder nears its conclusion. The United States is becoming Russia in front of our eyes as the neo-oligarchs privatize our services.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

US kills Iran general Qassem Suleimani in strike ordered by Trump

In a move sure to go under everyone's radar, Trump has kicked a hornet's nest because he hates hornets. I get that Trump declared this guy's organization a terrorist threat 9 months ago. I do understand that he's very probably a bad dude. He wasn't, however, a thug living in a cave with zealots behind him. He was pretty much the second in command in Iran, and our allies are still reeling from our choice to abandon an anti-nuke treaty while trying to be civil with this country.

Outside of any other repercussions, the first thought that honestly crossed my mind was "Shrewd move. Have many presidents been replaced during an active war?" I thought I remembered something about that being a thing - that they're less likely to be voted out if there's a threat engaging us.

Of course, Congress is all "We didn't know about this. We never authorized it" to which I would say "He's the Commander and Chief, like it or not, and I think this is his call." even though it tastes like bile in my mouth to say it. I don't know the legalities behind it and would need to research it unless someone has a reference to point at easily.

It makes me really sad to actually believe he'd be literally willing to start a war to stay in power. That's how highly I think of him. I honestly believe he'd be willing to kill thousands or hundreds of thousands if it meant he could keep warming the chair. Anyone he can't see or take money from is just a number, and he doesn't care about numbers unless they're in the bank.

*Edit: I know this is also in the Iraq thread, but my commentary is mostly directed at Trump's role and motives.

**Double Edit: Looks like Trump agrees with me, from pr0ner's post in the Iraq thread.
pr0ner wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:51 am
Black Lives Matter

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

malchior wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:56 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:51 am
What a dope. It will just blow the pension thing up again. And it threatens one of the USPSs big revenue generators.

He's proven to be a terrible negotiator (as if we needed further proof) and the bully tactics that he uses to mask his ineptitude don't scale up to this level.
This is coming around again - the manufactured crisis is coming to a head under manufactured pressure by Trump. The decades long project to dismantle the USPS and sell the pieces to the highest bidder nears its conclusion. The United States is becoming Russia in front of our eyes as the neo-oligarchs privatize our services.
We are watching our country collapse like the Soviet Union. I can't even open goddamn CNN without seeing what the local village idiot has gotten us into. Didn't some soviet professor call this years ago, to much derision?
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Paingod wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:41 am Of course, Congress is all "We didn't know about this. We never authorized it" to which I would say "He's the Commander and Chief, like it or not, and I think this is his call." even though it tastes like bile in my mouth to say it. I don't know the legalities behind it and would need to research it unless someone has a reference to point at easily.
War Powers Resolution of 1973:
The constitutional powers of the President as Commander-in-Chief to introduce United States Armed Forces into hostilities, or into situations where imminent involvement in hostilities is clearly indicated by the circumstances, are exercised only pursuant to (1) a declaration of war, (2) specific statutory authorization, or (3) a national emergency created by attack upon the United States, its territories or possessions, or its armed forces.
Trump is claiming the "national emergency" (essentially self-defense) loophole because of last week's attack that killed a U.S. contractor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CBS News
President Trump marked the launch of his "Evangelicals for Trump" coalition at El Rey Jesus Church in Miami Friday, the day after he ordered a deadly strike on Qassem Soleimani, the head of Iran's elite Quds military force and one of the most powerful figures in the Islamic Republic.
"I really do believe we have God on our side. I believe that, I believe that," the president said from the stage.

The president's speech comes as the commander-in-chief is ensuring his grip on the evangelical vote, after a widely circulated Christianity Today editorial denounced him in December. The day after that editorial ran, the Trump campaign announced the launch of the Evangelicals for Trump coalition in Miami.
At the coalition launch, Mr. Trump recognized a number of the evangelical leaders who were at the event supporting him, including Franklin Graham, the son of Billy Graham. The president said that Franklin Graham had a "special family" and thanked him for having "fought very hard for us" over the two weeks since the editorial was published.

On Friday, the president repeated his line that he has been a better president for people of faith than anyone else. He also issued his usual warning that anyone on the "radical left" who takes the White House will eliminate any policy gains for religious people.

"For America to thrive in the 21st century, we must renew faith and family as the center of American life," the president told the crowd.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's always nice when we get information about the President's meetings from a foreign nation.

This meeting was not on the president's public schedule, nor has the White House offered a read-out.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Can't wait to see what President Trump's reply to this is:

If I could sum up the point I am trying to make having worked with Trump it is this: his drug addiction would allow him to blow up the world over a perceived slight. He seethes with rage and resentment 24/7. He is as damaged a human being as I have ever met.
I'm guessing he'll comment about NDA Casler was forced to sign while on the Apprentice and threaten him legally.

Read more here and here.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Just to be clear, I assume that he is referring to a metaphorical drug addiction?
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If you watch the video of the set he did in December, he talks about Trump crushing and snorting Adderall:
Later in the set, he accused Trump of taking Adderall to help him focus while reading cue cards while filming Celebrity Apprentice. “He can’t read, so he gets really nervous,” said Casler.
Not new information (I don't think), but first time in a long time I can recall someone speaking openly about it, in defiance of the alleged NDA.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:39 pm If you watch the video of the set he did in December, he talks about Trump crushing and snorting Adderall:
Later in the set, he accused Trump of taking Adderall to help him focus while reading cue cards while filming Celebrity Apprentice. “He can’t read, so he gets really nervous,” said Casler.
Not new information (I don't think), but first time in a long time I can recall someone speaking openly about it, in defiance of the alleged NDA.
You've got to replace all that 80s/90s coke with something.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:39 pm If you watch the video of the set he did in December, he talks about Trump crushing and snorting Adderall:

People have talked about Trump abusing adderall for years. Search "Trump adderall" on Twitter for example to see it. I think it isnt that interesting. He is a evil, shit stain...the drug abuse doesn't change that too much.

Example from 2016:

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:04 pmHe is a evil, shit stain...the drug abuse doesn't change that too much.
Right, it doesn't change anything. But it sure helps explain a whole bunch. And should also remind us that we're possibly not even dealing with a rational actor. On the whole, it's terrifying. And depressing. And impossible to dismiss - which is likely the takeaway. He's insane. Absolutely bug-fark-insane.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The amazing thing is that a system that stabilized the world for decades is failing across the board with little external pressure. It is mostly internal madness.

That includes the media which continues to not adapt (despite Chuck Todd's lame "revelation"). Congress undermined their own authority for years especially after 9/11. None of the checks work. He is a creation of our dysfunction which is amplifying the dysfunction.

That leads us to the elephant in the room that drug abuse or not Trump is obviously out of his mind. The administration is a disgrace. Heck the Iraqi PM was marveling at it today. To paraphrase - "You sent me a draft of a letter saying you are withdrawing your troops!". Yet we have the Senate leader playing games. The media is bending over backwards to both sides this still. Depressing is the right word. Infuriating is another. It is hard to believe but America as a well of good and stability is over and almost no one realizes it yet.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

malchior wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:01 pmThe amazing thing is that a system that stabilized the world for decades is failing across the board with little external pressure. It is mostly internal madness.
We've seen the theme in countless TV shows and movies, though. When you replace the core of a system with a malformed component, a cascade of errors and crashes typically ensues. We have the unfortunate distinction of being Red Shirts in the jeffries tubes on one of these episodes now.
Black Lives Matter

malchior

Post by malchior »

Paingod wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:36 am
malchior wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:01 pmThe amazing thing is that a system that stabilized the world for decades is failing across the board with little external pressure. It is mostly internal madness.
We've seen the theme in countless TV shows and movies, though. When you replace the core of a system with a malformed component, a cascade of errors and crashes typically ensues. We have the unfortunate distinction of being Red Shirts in the jeffries tubes on one of these episodes now.
This is a bad take. Trump is the outcome of years of system failure - not the cause. He has a gift for making everything he touches worse and that includes our previously broken politics. For example, Trump wasn't around when McConnell finished off the Senate.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Incompetent, inept, immoral and irrational.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:21 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:04 pmHe is a evil, shit stain...the drug abuse doesn't change that too much.
Right, it doesn't change anything. But it sure helps explain a whole bunch. And should also remind us that we're possibly not even dealing with a rational actor. On the whole, it's terrifying. And depressing. And impossible to dismiss - which is likely the takeaway. He's insane. Absolutely bug-fark-insane.
I wouldn't compare Trump to Hitler but I'd compare Trump's alleged drug addiction and abuse to Hitler's drug addiction and abuse.

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Technically that's a comparison.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Creepily compelling or compellingly creepy?
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Also on Twitter: "The dude is on some serious shit to have his pupils this dilated in front of t.v. cameras".
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sniffing or not, I watched all 8 minutes of that speech and I don't know how anyone can think that man is well - mentally and physically. He should really finish the second half of his physical because dude was out of breath walking up to the podium.
Holman

Post by Holman »

They are the best at Constitutioning.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:38 pm Sniffing or not, I watched all 8 minutes of that speech and I don't know how anyone can think that man is well - mentally and physically. He should really finish the second half of his physical because dude was out of breath walking up to the podium.
That's nothing that 6 fried chickens and a dozen cheeseburgers for lunch can't cure.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:59 am
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:38 pm Sniffing or not, I watched all 8 minutes of that speech and I don't know how anyone can think that man is well - mentally and physically. He should really finish the second half of his physical because dude was out of breath walking up to the podium.
That's nothing that 6 fried chickens and a dozen cheeseburgers for lunch can't cure.
I believe that particular cure would go down better with a jug of high fructose corn syrup and a pint of melted butter.
Black Lives Matter

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Paingod wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:23 am
Jeff V wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:59 am
I believe that particular cure would go down better with a jug of high fructose corn syrup and a pint of melted butter.
And a suicide note on a hundred dollar bill.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter