For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Defiant

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Defiant »

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

This article about the Clinton's returning items seems to indicate that anything given to a president is fair game - but anything the government owns shouldn't go - but also seems to indicate that they only "ask" for things to be returned.

This reator.com article indicates that anything that is given to the President becomes government property and if it leaves the White House it must be purchased by the exiting President at "fair market value" but only talks about gifts given to the sitting President and doesn't cover artifacts and objects of history.

Given how well Trump works within the norms of his office, I expect he doesn't give a damn. It looks more like things can go, and then someone does an inventory and asks for their return. If the worst they ever do is send a strongly worded letter, you can expect them to never be recovered.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump had a tendency to see things he liked (such as a set of figurines in the U.S. Ambassador's residence in Paris) and have them brought to the White House. It's possible the things we're seeing are just going back to the perches they had in different government buildings four years ago.

Plus, if (for example) that bust of Lincoln were truly rare and special, it would be moved in a padded crate rather than just on some guy's shoulder. It might just be a decoration belonging to a staffer.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My guess is the neck is hinged and you push Lincoln's head back to get some candy.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:50 pm My guess is the neck is hinged and you push Lincoln's head back to get some candy.
Maybe it will reveal the ratphone connection to Q.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:15 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:50 pm My guess is the neck is hinged and you push Lincoln's head back to get some candy.
Maybe it will reveal the ratphone connection to Q.
To the Rat Cave !!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...but first, I need some KFC

Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:40 pm

Plus, if (for example) that bust of Lincoln were truly rare and special, it would be moved in a padded crate rather than just on some guy's shoulder.
Not if you're looting it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:40 pm Plus, if (for example) that bust of Lincoln were truly rare and special, it would be moved in a padded crate rather than just on some guy's shoulder. It might just be a decoration belonging to a staffer.
This is of course assuming that people working in the administration are not complete idiots, which I'm not sure is a great assumption.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So how much wall did Agolf actually build? (With likely illegally diverted funds).
Before he took office, there were 654 miles (just over 1,000km) of barrier along the southern border - made up of 354 miles of barricades to stop pedestrians and 300 miles of anti-vehicle fencing.

Now, according to US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) in its 6 October status report, the southern border has 669 miles of "primary barrier" - the first structure people heading from Mexico to the US will encounter - and 65 miles of "secondary barrier" - which usually runs behind the primary structure as a further obstacle.

This means that in areas where no barricades existed before, they have built 15 miles of new, primary barrier or "border wall system", as it is called by CBP.
And Mexico did not pay one penny.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Of course not. Did any semi smart or sane person ever think they would?

He looks like he is pointing to where "Children will get their heads stuck right here."
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Independent
Trump administration staff are reportedly getting snubbed for jobs, amid the fallout of the end of Donald Trump’s presidency and the Capitol riots.
Despite leaving the administration in protest, the staff may struggle to find employment, as Insider reported on Thursday that former employees of the Trump administration are being snubbed while hunting for new jobs.

A public-relations recruiter told Insider that their company recently received enquiries from at least 15 White House staffers looking for new employment post the end of Mr Trump’s presidency on 20 January.

The recruiter said that they took on six of the staffers as clients but were not even able to secure an interview for any of them.

“It's just very hard,” the recruiter said on Thursday. “You're supposed to put anyone in front of a job that has the credentials. Morally, it's hard for people to want to work with them.”

The recruiter added: “They're all very all about themselves with narcissistic attitudes, thinking any company in the country will want to hire me.

“I listened to one for about 20 minutes, and it was so much baloney, what he was spewing out to me.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:39 pm Independent
Trump administration staff are reportedly getting snubbed for jobs, amid the fallout of the end of Donald Trump’s presidency and the Capitol riots.
Despite leaving the administration in protest, the staff may struggle to find employment, as Insider reported on Thursday that former employees of the Trump administration are being snubbed while hunting for new jobs.

A public-relations recruiter told Insider that their company recently received enquiries from at least 15 White House staffers looking for new employment post the end of Mr Trump’s presidency on 20 January.

The recruiter said that they took on six of the staffers as clients but were not even able to secure an interview for any of them.

“It's just very hard,” the recruiter said on Thursday. “You're supposed to put anyone in front of a job that has the credentials. Morally, it's hard for people to want to work with them.”

The recruiter added: “They're all very all about themselves with narcissistic attitudes, thinking any company in the country will want to hire me.

“I listened to one for about 20 minutes, and it was so much baloney, what he was spewing out to me.”
::tiny_violin.gif::
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

WTF? Reporters got a peek at the papers he was carrying which mentioned martial law.

Because after a coup you need a good night's sleep.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

new Pew Research poll on how Americans view President Trump’s job performance five days before he leaves office:

whites w/no college degree
44% approve
52% disapprove

everyone else
19% approve
79% disapprove
Should be single digits. Absolutely shameful.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Again, how does a President that is currently impeached and is awaiting his Senate trial have the ability to enact term limits for "career federal scientists who serve as center directors at the Food and Drug Administration, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other health agencies".
Current and former officials say the last-minute rule could tempt top public health officials to maintain their jobs through political jockeying, at a time of cratering public confidence in agencies’ independence.

“It’s been a step-by-step escalation in retaliation by HHS against career scientists throughout the pandemic,” said a current senior administration official, blaming HHS Secretary Alex Azar for the last-minute moves. “It’s a clear abuse of power by Azar.”

The rule would have immediate implications for half of the Food and Drug Administration’s six center directors — including those who oversee medicine and vaccine reviews plus tobacco policy — and a host of senior researchers at the CDC, the Indian Health Services and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid, said four people familiar with the rule.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

That ~20% is probably mostly Whites with college degrees.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Has it been through the comment period?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:05 pm Has it been through the comment period?
No. It is a direct final rule. Esssentially they say they don't expect an adverse comment so they publish it to the Federal register with a comment period that ends near the effective date. It would be pulled back for a full comment period if an adverse comment is recorded. It is an expedited process - sort of like unanimous consent in the Senate.

In the end, it is another rule that probably won't survive. This feels like they are just tossing procedural marbles into the Biden administration to slow down the first few months. What a way to run a country.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Y'know, Biden's especially good at bureaucracy stuff. If there's a way to upend trump's sabotage, Joe's the guy who can do it. I hope.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Azar hops of the sinking SS Trump with a few days to go.

Profiles in courage, to be sure.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is not what it seems. I posted it in the vaccine thread but the letter is dated days ago and appears to be a normal resignation letter for a transition. I think he released it to distract from the mismanaged the vaccine supply story.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

O thank god!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:34 amO thank god!
Seriously what would we do without the guy who somehow didn't notice the government misplaced the entire vaccine reserve.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Why would Azar stand down any sooner than necessary when he still has power to abuse. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Is anyone else starting to think Trump might not release his health care plan?
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Defiant wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:25 pm Is anyone else starting to think Trump might not release his health care plan?
:lol:
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I mean, he did defeat ISIS..
Afghanistan's intelligence agency have said they foiled an attempt by an ISIS cell of four members to assassinate a US diplomat in Kabul.

The US Charge d'Affaires in Kabul, Ross Wilson, was the target of the planned attack on Monday, the National Directorate of Security (NDS) said in a statement released on Tuesday.

All four ISIS members, who were also planning to assassinate other Afghan senior officials, have been arrested in an NDS special military operation in Kama district of Nangarhar province, including the cell mastermind Abdul Wahid.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Defiant wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:25 pm Is anyone else starting to think Trump might not release his health care plan?
I'm concerned I'm never going to see the taco truck he promised on every corner.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:07 am
I'm concerned I'm never going to see the taco truck he promised on every corner.
That's was the threat he averted!

You can thank Donald Trump for every taco assault you've avoided since 2016.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

As mind boggling as it is, he actually promised to keep the Taco Trucks away.
I know it makes no sense.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

This is gold. :D
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sigh.

EXCLUSIVE: Trump allies -- like a former campaign staffer and even his former personal lawyer, John Dowd -- have sold their access to Trump, taking $$$ from wealthy felons to lobby Trump and White House aides, like Jared Kushner, for pardons.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Unagi wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:35 pm
Monster. I suppose he's taking credit then for something that was highly impractical in the first place.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:52 pm
Unagi wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:35 pm
Monster. I suppose he's taking credit then for something that was highly impractical in the first place.
Aren't Taco Trucks the apex of capitalism in in a free society? Damn Communists!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

it's now officially too late for Infrastructure Week
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It took a month for a package I mailed from NJ to get to Delaware. I think everything is going super! Nobody appreciates all the great things he's done! Losers
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Octavious wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:04 pm It took a month for a package I mailed from NJ to get to Delaware. I think everything is going super! Nobody appreciates all the great things he's done! Losers
Last time I sent time-sensitive package via USPS was to the Philippines. I paid for 6-10 day delivery. It arrived over 3 months later; considering it was perishable food that wasn't acceptable.

So I advise to not send to third world states such as Delaware.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Paingod wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:55 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:54 pm
Someone please tell me there are protocols that prevent even the President from stealing anything out of the White House. It's a place stuffed to the gills with history we can't lose to a moron having a tantrum.
I'll bet there are just fucking "norms", like for everything else, apparently.

Thus, Agent Orange asks "sooooo, it's not illegal?" to which his crony lawyers say no, and then boom goes the dynamite. All to be sold off later to the highest bidder.