The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:17 am Trump's blowing up on Twitter again this morning. He's attacked the Fed and "Jay Powell", attacked the Mueller report, made tweets about Iran and Saudi Arabia and energy and guns and the new Kavanaugh mess, and thinks that the Obamas' post presidency Netflix and book deals need to be investigated by the government.

Sigh.

Volfefe Index is blowin' up!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Oh.

Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Someone’s trying to make up for missing yesterday’s meds by doubling up today.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Better watch out - sounds like he's getting close to giving a "hereby order..." to something.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Trump sure tries to make no one talk for someone not hiding something other than his taxes. I hope he goes to prison for the rest of his life once he is out of there. Maybe his family can go with him and a ton of the GOP.

White House tells Lewandowski not to answer questions and asserts immunity for Dearborn and Porter
The White House is asserting that two former senior White House aides have immunity from testifying and is directing former Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski not to answer questions about events that occurred after President Donald Trump was elected.
The White House sent letters to the House Judiciary Committee on Monday about the testimony of Lewandowski and former aides Rick Dearborn and Rob Porter, who were all subpoenaed to appear on Tuesday. The White House asserted immunity for the former White House aides not to testify and instructed Lewandowski not to answer questions about his conversations with the President where the White House could invoke executive privilege, beyond what's already in former special counsel Robert Mueller's report.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
President Trump reacted Tuesday to the death of journalist and political commentator Cokie Roberts from complications from breast cancer by saying “she never treated me nicely” before adding that she was “a real professional” and wishing her family well.

“I never met her,” Trump told reporters traveling with him on Air Force One. “She never treated me nicely. But I would like to wish her family well. She was a professional, and I respect professionals. I respect you guys a lot, you people a lot. She was a real professional. Never treated me well, but I certainly respect her as a professional.”
During the 2016 campaign, the journalist and Trump also sparred on live television over the impact of his rhetoric on race.

With Trump on the phone during an MSNBC broadcast, Roberts described reports of racist slurs that children were using against their classmates in Trump’s name.

“Are you proud of that? Is that something that you’ve done in American social and political discourse that you are proud of?” Roberts asked.

“I think your question is a very nasty question,” Trump responded, before saying he had not heard of such reports.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Of course the Manchild in Chief had to throw in how he was hurt in the feelings...

Cokie will be missed. I loved her insightful commentary and she was a great friend to the Children's Inn at the NIH which is dear to my wife and myself.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am pleased to announce that I will name Robert C. O’Brien, currently serving as the very successful Special Presidential Envoy for Hostage Affairs at the State Department, as our new National Security Advisor. I have worked long & hard with Robert. He will do a great job!
He's worked "long and hard" with Robert. Nice to see the lies immediately starting.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:25 am
I am pleased to announce that I will name Robert C. O’Brien, currently serving as the very successful Special Presidential Envoy for Hostage Affairs at the State Department, as our new National Security Advisor. I have worked long & hard with Robert. He will do a great job!
He's worked "long and hard" with Robert. Nice to see the lies immediately starting.
By Trump standards, 10 minutes of discussing politics before tee-time is long and had work. So might not be a lie.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If the national security adviser is not consulting a national security council, and the WH occupant doesn't seek his opinion anyway, it hardly matters who draws the salary.
Holman

Post by Holman »

This was the guy who called Trump "The world's greatest hostage negotiator." Trump referenced it directly this week, but I remember when it happened a few months back during something with North Korea. Hey, presto! Now he's essentially cabinet level.

Can you imagine the levels of oily flattery that must be going on that we *don't* see?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Totally normal.

(That whistleblower complaint that's being hidden? Sounds like it is about Trump directly and a promise made to a foreign government.)
malchior

Post by malchior »

I would bet money it was Putin. And my guess is it was a promise that Trump would advocate for Russia at the G7 summit in some way that went beyond getting them readmitted.

This also speaks to the danger of Trump ignoring the Senate confirmation process and basically shielding himself behind cronies in acting roles.

This is similar to the tax return issue where the law is crystal clear and unambiguous. Yet they refuse to follow it. In other words more evidence this administration is completely lawless. This is worse than Nixon by a long shot at this point. The nation is in grave danger.

As an aside this story was a shot across the bow. Someone is going to leak this in detail if it truly is bad enough. Waiting months for some Trump judge to slow roll this isnt going to fly if it truly is a true national security risk. These folks are toeing the line here already.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

America doesn't negotiate with terrorists, but Trump does.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:03 amAmerica doesn't negotiate with terrorists, but Trump does.
Only because he has a deep respect for their leadership style and personal charisma.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

malchior wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:57 pm I would bet money it was Putin. And my guess is it was a promise that Trump would advocate for Russia at the G7 summit in some way that went beyond getting them readmitted.
Even if it is something as simple as a "promise" to Putin to advocate via normal channels (in other words, he was just being polite and saying, "sure, I'll see what I can do"), the fact that the complaint wasn't followed up on through proper channels is a huge problem. This could easily be a case of an overzealous whistleblower, but now there are two potential scandals to deal with instead of just the original complaint.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

If the Trump administration appointed IG thought the complaint was serious enough, then I don't think it's a case of an overzealous whistleblower.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:13 amThis could easily be a case of an overzealous whistleblower
The fact that the IG 'urgently concerned' is a Trump appointee would suggest that that's highly improbable.

[Edit - Curse you, pr0ner, for your speedy phalanges...]
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Missing the point here. Regardless of the seriousness of the report, there are now two scandals instead of one.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Let me know when we get to 237. Maybe then something might happen.

...but probably not.
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Saw a sales ad for Harbor Freight and they had a el cheapo led light that said it was the greatest light. I instantly thought of Trump. Worst POS you could have yet calls itself the greatest like the light.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:28 pm Its Ukraine
So (speculatively) Trump tried to bribe Ukraine to involve Biden's son in a scandal? Doesn't sound right. Why would Ukraine work to reelect Putin's puppet?
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Kraken wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:00 pm
So (speculatively) Trump tried to bribe Ukraine to involve Biden's son in a scandal? Doesn't sound right. Why would Ukraine work to reelect Putin's puppet?
'Cause Trump is holding their aid money hostage.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gilraen wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:06 pm
'Cause Trump is holding their aid money hostage.
All the more reason to work against him. But the story doesn't say that Ukraine accepted his bribe. Maybe they did, and it's being held until Biden is the nominee? Need more info.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, it sounds like Trump and his sycophant Giuliani want the Ukraine to investigate Hunter Biden’s work with Ukrainian politicians, with the hope that they’ll give them dirt they can use in Trump’s re-election campaign. The aid money is essentially a bribe to get them to do so.

If true, that’s most definitely an impeachable offense. I would also love to see Giuliani in a federal prison for the rest of his ugly little life.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:11 pm
If true, that’s most definitely an impeachable offense.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is no such thing anymore. What's next, the Tooth Fairy replaces Ginsberg?

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

4 laughing emojis? Impressive.
He won. Period.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Maybe he made them an offer.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:36 pm 4 laughing emojis? Impressive.
Getting them to laugh in unison was the tough part.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Another thing to consider is that this is a little more complicated than just aid or just a phone call. The IC sorts through a lot of data. It is possible that elements of the conversation correlated with other activities the IC was tracking. In other words the promise was on the phone call but it signaled acceptance of something offered in a Guiliani or other crony brokered back channel. Considering the Giuliani meltdown last night on CNN...it might be pretty bad.

Enjoy the end of the interview if you haven't seen it. An exciting part of this episode of the groundbreaking shit show reality TV nightmare we all live with continues after this break.

Last edited by malchior on Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I feel like if this doesn't bring the administration down, then nothing will short of the 2020 election.
Hodor.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

pr0ner wrote:I feel like if this doesn't bring the administration down, then nothing will short of the 2020 election.
2020 can't come soon enough I'm afraid. If this rises to the level of impeachment the Republican held Senate sold their patriotism to Trump and will probably vote against removal along party lines.

Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Trump just tweeted.

Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:06 am I feel like if this doesn't bring the administration down, then nothing will short of the 2020 election.
And I feel like someone has said that about Trump and the administration at least half a dozen times in the last ~2.5 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

And for those keeping track of numbers:
U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue was fielding questions at a farm show in Decatur, Ill., in late August when his boss rang his cellphone. Perdue put the call on speaker and placed it next to the microphone so the crowd could hear Donald Trump speak. During the almost seven-minute call the president defended his handling of the trade conflict with China, which has cut off American farmers from one of their most important export markets. Yet he was quick to remind them that he’s tried to salve their pain. “I sometimes see where these horrible dishonest reporters will say that ‘oh jeez, the farmers are upset.’ Well, they can’t be too upset, because I gave them $12 billion and I gave them $16 billion this year,” said Trump, who then added, “I hope you like me even better than you did in ’16.”

At $28 billion so far, the farm rescue is more than twice as expensive as the 2009 bailout of Detroit’s Big Three automakers, which cost taxpayers $12 billion.
But Obama (and I guess now any Democrat) is the Devil.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:34 am
pr0ner wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:06 am I feel like if this doesn't bring the administration down, then nothing will short of the 2020 election.
And I feel like someone has said that about Trump and the administration at least half a dozen times in the last ~2.5 years.
Yup, because nothing will short of the 2020 election. Do you know how few (and which) voters it takes to add up to more than 1/3rd of the Senate? That's why impeachment is a pipedream in terms of removing Trump from office.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:37 am And for those keeping track of numbers:
At $28 billion so far, the farm rescue is more than twice as expensive as the 2009 bailout of Detroit’s Big Three automakers, which cost taxpayers $12 billion.
CNN
GM has earned a stunning $22.6 billion since the dark days of the financial crisis, when the automaker was bailed out by the U.S. government. Taxpayers didn't fare nearly as well. They'd lost $10.6 billion by the time the U.S. Treasury department closed the books on the $49.5 billion bailout in December.
"Our goal was never to make a profit but to stabilize the auto industry," said one Treasury official on background the day it sold its final GM shares. "By any measure, we succeeded."
But we're not expecting any of the farmers to pay us back, of course.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:37 am And for those keeping track of numbers:
U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue was fielding questions at a farm show in Decatur, Ill., in late August when his boss rang his cellphone. Perdue put the call on speaker and placed it next to the microphone so the crowd could hear Donald Trump speak. During the almost seven-minute call the president defended his handling of the trade conflict with China, which has cut off American farmers from one of their most important export markets. Yet he was quick to remind them that he’s tried to salve their pain. “I sometimes see where these horrible dishonest reporters will say that ‘oh jeez, the farmers are upset.’ Well, they can’t be too upset, because I gave them $12 billion and I gave them $16 billion this year,” said Trump, who then added, “I hope you like me even better than you did in ’16.”

But Obama (and I guess now any Democrat) is the Devil.
Actually, the Big 3 "bailout" cost around $80B in 2009 but taxpayers (the Treasury) got back around $70B from the investments by 2014. So a net cost of $10B, or $12B if that article is more accurate than my memory. Plus all the jobs saved and US market share kept.

The China tariffs are permanently costing farmers market share and the farm subsidies are Band-Aids on a hemorrhaging knife wound. But Band-Aids may keep voters for a year or two.

MYT