The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

naednek

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by naednek »

Paingod wrote:Inside the minds of some die-hard Trump supporters.
I watched the first segment, and I can't believe what I'm hearing. I mean, I know there's people like it, but holy shit.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

naednek wrote:
I watched the first segment, and I can't believe what I'm hearing. I mean, I know there's people like it, but holy shit.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I made it to the part (at the 11:00 mark) where the wife says there should be another genocide so her children can "grow up with a chance"...all while cradling her infant and holding the hand of her toddler (who previously was giving Sig Heil salutes)

That was enough deplorable for me for one day.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Skinypupy wrote:I made it to the part (at the 11:00 mark) where the wife says there should be another genocide so her children can "grow up with a chance"...all while cradling her infant and holding the hand of her toddler (who previously was giving Sig Heil salutes)

That was enough deplorable for me for one day.
I saw that. Seems strange for a white supremacist to believe that Jews are so superior that they only way her children can compete is for all Jews to be exterminated. But then again, I get the sense that she isn't the most sophisticated of thinkers.
Last edited by Captain Caveman on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I stomached through the rest. The hypocrisy is astounding. His children are mixed, but doesn't see what he says is wrong.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
tgb

Post by tgb »

CNN called fake news again - by Russian official.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
milo

Post by milo »

I suspect that the thinking is that Jews (or insert other out-group here) do not succeed on merit, but because they all stick together and promote one another even though there are equally-or-better qualified white people available for the job.
--milo
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

milo wrote:I suspect that the thinking is that Jews (or insert other out-group here) do not succeed on merit, but because they all stick together and promote one another even though there are equally-or-better qualified white people available for the job.
Man, white people just can't catch a break. Maybe we need affirmative action for them, or at least a White History Month to highlight their contributions to society. :violin:
tgb

Post by tgb »

naednek wrote:
I hate to say it, but that Jamali guy reminded me a bit of Ali G.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So Sessions has officially recused himself from Trump investigations.
Black Lives Matter.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Not wanting to be an outsider, McMaster now has his own minor scandal. Team player!
President Trump’s new national security adviser, Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster, was investigated by the Army and admonished two years ago for mishandling a case involving two junior officers accused of sexual assault, military documents show.

McMaster violated Army regulations by permitting the two lieutenants to attend the service’s elite Ranger School even though they were under criminal investigation, according to a report by the Army inspector general. The case against them was dropped months later after the Army determined the alleged victim was not a credible witness.

For his oversight of the case, McMaster received a light rebuke, known as a “memorandum of concern,” from Gen. Daniel Allyn, the Army’s vice chief of staff, in February 2015. The Washington Post obtained a copy of the documents from the Army under the Freedom of Information Act.

“I am disappointed with your actions,” Allyn wrote in the memorandum, which was not included in McMaster’s personnel file. “As a senior leader in the United States Army, you are expected and required to understand and comply with all laws and regulations.”

McMaster declined an interview request. In a statement on his behalf, White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders said:

“Lt. Gen. McMaster has served alongside women, and benefited from their bravery and dedication, his entire career. As a commander he has been a leader in sexual assault prevention in each of his commands. To suggest otherwise is to unfairly impugn the character and integrity of a true American hero.”
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Max Peck wrote:Not wanting to be an outsider, McMaster now has his own minor scandal. Team player!

“Lt. Gen. McMaster has served alongside women, and benefited from their bravery and dedication, his entire career. As a commander he has been a leader in sexual assault prevention in each of his commands. To suggest otherwise is to unfairly impugn the character and integrity of a true American hero.”
So McCain isn't a hero, this guy is. What did he do again? Take M1 Abrams into battle against T62s?

Nothing against him, just trying to figure out the Administration's definition.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Max Peck wrote:Not wanting to be an outsider, McMaster now has his own minor scandal. Team player!

So McCain isn't a hero, this guy is. What did he do again? Take M1 Abrams into battle against T62s?

Nothing against him, just trying to figure out the Administration's definition.
His action at 73 Easting was pretty damn heroic by my standards. And it has absolutely nothing to do with his botched Old Boy Network handling of the subjects of the sexual assault investigation.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

Portrait of an American Hero:

Enlarge Image

It's tragic how bone spurs kept such a promising leader out of Vietnam despite allowing him all those years of varsity athletics.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

How dare you impugn his service in Intramural Softball '61, sir. He earned a medal for that sacrifice, dammit!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

El Guapo wrote:So Sessions has officially recused himself from Trump investigations.
Sort of. He said, "I have recused myself in the matters that deal with the Trump campaign," So, he's recusing himself from investigation into the campaign, but not anything that has happened since.

Baby steps, I suppose.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Holman wrote:Portrait of an American Hero:

Enlarge Image

It's tragic how bone spurs kept such a promising leader out of Vietnam despite allowing him all those years of varsity athletics.
Interesting how much he looks like his son.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Paingod wrote:
Archinerd wrote:I didn't shit in my pants on the way to work this morning. Where are my accolades minions?
I applaud your efforts, and appreciate your restraint.

If you can continue this trend for another 4 years, I'll stop calling you ShittyPants McShitterson, but won't forget what you used to do and how much you seemed to enjoy it. Under no circumstance will I vote for you to get "Clean Pants of the Year" at any point in the future, nor will I forget that you earned your nickname by backdoor dealings with Taco Bell, regardless of how you say you got it or who was buying it for you.
Where's the original metalhed when you need him?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
tgb

Post by tgb »

LawBeefaroni wrote: So McCain isn't a hero, this guy is. What did he do again?
Not get captured. Trump likes guys who weren't captured, ok?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Not one of you mentions his opening by denouncing of anti jewish threats and the nut in KC. That was a major thing we've been collectively asking for, if not demanding since the conclusion of the primaries.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

At this point who hasn't talked to the Russians?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
tgb

Post by tgb »

LordMortis wrote:Not one of you mentions his opening by denouncing of anti jewish threats and the nut in KC. That was a major thing we've been collectively asking for, if not demanding since the conclusion of the primaries.
And it had finally gotten to the point where he couldn't put it off any longer, so he had to. By reading someone else's words off a teleprompter, with no emotion or feeling behind it at all. The same day he told the Pennsylvania AG that the Jews were probably doing it themselves to make him look bad.

Big fucking whoop.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Statement from the president! Slightly too long for a tweet!
https://twitter.com/CBSEveningNews/stat ... 7513105408

He writes like a third-grader.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

A couple quick thoughts:

(1) That "Inside the Minds of Trump die-hards" thing is utter crap. Be honest, if we went out and rounded up the dregs of the Bernie (or Obama) supporters, we'd probably see some pretty objectionable shit there, too. We are doing ourselves a disservice if we try to paint all Trump "die-hards" (whatever that means) as anti-Semitic, neo-Nazi scum.

(2) Trump finally came out and gave a semblance of a Presidential sounding speech the other night, especially in denouncing anti-Semitic attacks and hate crimes generally. This IS what we've all been asking for. To sit here now and say, "so what" or "too little, too late," is lame. I'm not saying we should TRUMP it up into more than it is. Right now, it's just words, many of which are contrary to prior words Trump has uttered. But it's a step in the right direction at least.

(3) Sessions. Holy shit. I don't see how his testimony before Congress is not flatly contradicted by the reports of him meeting with the Russians in July on the sidelines of the Republican National Convention. If that's true, how is he not toast???
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kurth wrote:(1) That "Inside the Minds of Trump die-hards" thing is utter crap. Be honest, if we went out and rounded up the dregs of the Bernie (or Obama) supporters, we'd probably see some pretty objectionable shit there, too. We are doing ourselves a disservice if we try to paint all Trump "die-hards" (whatever that means) as anti-Semitic, neo-Nazi scum.
While I'd disagree that it's "utter crap" (it seemed like an interesting and frightening look into the mind of these nuts), I do agree that you can certainly find deplorables at the extremes of both sides, and painting everyone with that brush does a disservice to the discussion. That was a documentary on Nazi assholes, not one about Trump supporters. It never crossed my mind as I watched it that it represented the average Trump supporter in any way.

The problem, however, is that there is a near 100% overlap between those two groups. Not all Trump supporters are Nazi's, but 99.9% of all Nazi's are Trump supporters. And his rhetoric has them feeling very emboldened to act out on their asshole Nazi ways. That's definitely an issue, one that already has dead bodies in it's wake.

(disclaimer: I only watched the first 12 minutes. Maybe there's something further in that tries to draw some broader connection between the two groups)
(2) Trump finally came out and gave a semblance of a Presidential sounding speech the other night, especially in denouncing anti-Semitic attacks and hate crimes generally. This IS what we've all been asking for. To sit here now and say, "so what" or "too little, too late," is lame. I'm not saying we should TRUMP it up into more than it is. Right now, it's just words, many of which are contrary to prior words Trump has uttered. But it's a step in the right direction at least.
Fine, I'll give him some credit for finally saying it. I still think it's pathetic that it required multiple incidents and a metric shitload of public pressure for him to actually do so.
Last edited by Skinypupy on Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kurth wrote: (2) Trump finally came out and gave a semblance of a Presidential sounding speech the other night, especially in denouncing anti-Semitic attacks and hate crimes generally. This IS what we've all been asking for. To sit here now and say, "so what" or "too little, too late," is lame. I'm not saying we should TRUMP it up into more than it is. Right now, it's just words, many of which are contrary to prior words Trump has uttered. But it's a step in the right direction at least.
I'll believe it when he walks the walk. You don't credit for bringing America together when you're the one sowing division.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

BUT...HER...E-MAILS!!!!
Vice President Mike Pence routinely used a private email account to conduct public business as governor of Indiana, at times discussing sensitive matters and homeland security issues.

Emails released to The Indianapolis Star, part of the USA TODAY Network, in response to a public records request show Pence communicated via his personal AOL account with top advisers on topics ranging from security gates at the governor’s residence to the state’s response to terror attacks across the globe. In one email, Pence’s top state homeland security adviser relayed an update from the FBI regarding the arrests of several men on federal terror-related charges.

Cybersecurity experts say the emails raise concerns about whether such sensitive information was adequately protected from hackers, given that personal accounts like Pence's are typically less secure than government email accounts. In fact, Pence's personal account was hacked last summer.
And the best part:
Pence's office in Washington said in a written statement Thursday: "Similar to previous governors, during his time as Governor of Indiana, Mike Pence maintained a state email account and a personal email account. As Governor, Mr. Pence fully complied with Indiana law regarding email use and retention. Government emails involving his state and personal accounts are being archived by the state consistent with Indiana law, and are being managed according to Indiana’s Access to Public Records Act.”
Isn't that literally the exact same defense Clinton offered, and was shot down time and again by Trump and his cronies?

Post by Default »

But she was a woman!!!!

We can't be governed by a woman!!!!
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Kurth wrote:This IS what we've all been asking for.
I can't speak for everyone, but sounding Presidential isn't what I've been asking for. BEING Presidential is what I've been asking for. And he constantly fails miserably at that. That he didn't vomit word salad again during a speech to Congress isn't the sort of thing that I have been desperately hoping for.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
malchior

Post by malchior »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Kurth wrote:This IS what we've all been asking for.
I can't speak for everyone, but sounding Presidential isn't what I've been asking for. BEING Presidential is what I've been asking for. And he constantly fails miserably at that. That he didn't vomit word salad again during a speech to Congress isn't the sort of thing that I have been desperately hoping for.
Exactly and he gave hundreds of hours of rambling crazy speeches but we're supposed to fall over because he read for an hour. Good grief. The bending over backwards to give this guy a break continues to be the biggest shock of all this.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Kurth wrote: (2) Trump finally came out and gave a semblance of a Presidential sounding speech the other night, especially in denouncing anti-Semitic attacks and hate crimes generally. This IS what we've all been asking for. To sit here now and say, "so what" or "too little, too late," is lame. I'm not saying we should TRUMP it up into more than it is. Right now, it's just words, many of which are contrary to prior words Trump has uttered. But it's a step in the right direction at least.
No, to give him applause for saying two sentences weeks or months later than he should have, on the same day he claimed that some of the attacks were false flags is lame, especially when he can tweet a response to SNL or other non-issues within a few hours.

He needs to make it clear to everyone, including his supporters, that hate crimes won't be tolerated, and his administration has to come up with a plan to address the incitement against minorities, to find the perpetrators, and ensure that communities that are being threatened feel safe.

That's what he has to do.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

When I was a kid, sometimes I hit my siblings, or did other things that got me in trouble. When confronted by my mother about them, since I was a kid, I'd deny doing them. Then I'd try and blame someone else ("She deserved it!"). Then I'd say I wasn't sorry. Eventually, my mother would either yell or threaten me long enough that I'd grudgingly repeat after her, and say "I'm sorry." When I got a little older, I figured out that after I did something that got me in trouble, I could shortcut that whole conversation by saying "I'm sorry" as soon as I got caught. I didn't have to mean it, I just had to say it.

When I was a kid, I thought I was getting away with something, and that my mom believed I was sorry. Now that I'm an adult, it's obvious she knew the whole time that I was never actually sorry, and the yelling was really to try and get me to realize that I actually should feel sorry for what I did. I didn't get to the feeling sorry stage until many years more of growing up.

Our President is still at that first stage. Hopefully he'll move through the second and into the third at some point, though he's 70 and hasn't gotten there, so chances he'll finish growing up soon look real slim.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Kurth wrote:(1) That "Inside the Minds of Trump die-hards" thing is utter crap.
Which is why I didn't label it as "Inside the Minds of Trump Die-Hards" and instead called it "Inside the Minds of SOME Trump Die-Hards" - and if you doubt that, let me skip you to this soundbyte where Trump is mentioned and the Nazis state that he's legitimizing them. Who doesn't love being legitimized?

I'm not calling every Trump die-hard a Nazi - but at this point I think you've got to have a seriously broken agenda to be backing the guy blindly.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote:Not one of you mentions his opening by denouncing of anti jewish threats and the nut in KC. That was a major thing we've been collectively asking for, if not demanding since the conclusion of the primaries.
Yes it is and no it isn't. Until he actively takes steps to back up those words I will only see them as hollow gestures to repair the tatters of his image on a national stage. Until he repudiates the white nationalist movement he has empowered he can spew all the words he wants. He has proven over and over that he is the biggest liar of my lifetime and I won't believe a single thing he says until it is coupled with action because his actions thus far say the exact opposite of those words.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Amen
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In a move that likely surprises no one, a watchdog group is alleging the Trump campaign is illegally using donations:
The Campaign Legal Center and left-leaning non-profit Common Cause allege that the campaign violated federal election laws designed to prevent campaigns from circumventing contribution limits. The groups are accusing Team Trump of attributing donations for his 2020 campaign—yes, he’s already a declared candidate—to his previous, 2016 run, freeing up donors to give more down the line.

By earmarking those donations for debt reduction, the campaign classified them as 2016 receipts, meaning those contributions will not count towards the donors’ 2020 contribution limits.
At least financial crime is a nice change of pace, right?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Corrupt Trump > Corrupt Hillary
AjD

Post by AjD »

Plot thickens:

Jeff Sessions used campaign funds, not Senate account, when meeting Russian ambassador
Sessions met (Russian Ambassador) Kislyak at a Heritage Foundation event during the Republican National Convention in Cleveland, and campaign finance records show that he paid for his lodging with funds from his re-election campaign, suggesting he was not in Cleveland on official Senate business. Also, a person at the event tells the Wall Street Journal that Sessions and Kislyak discussed the Trump campaign at the event, specifically Trump's trade policy, and that Sessions gave the impression he was there as a Trump campaign official.
(Story breaking via Wall Street Journal, but excerpting here from The Week's summary to avoid the WSJ paywall.)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Definitely go back and read stuff from last summer. It certainly makes all these new stories much more interesting. But then again, the election is over and maybe we should just forget all this noise and move on - there are laws to repeal and justices to appoint.
Maybe next year, maybe no go